BBC Sport: La Liga asks Uefa to investigate Man City's financial fair play

Inter Yer Nan

Tebas makes sense and he's right that the financial doping needs to stop but it's laughable coming from La Liga which is a standard bearer of unfair distribution of money. They were hell bent on killing off the competition in their own league so that Real and Barca could have free reign on everything and dominate and now they feel a threat they speak up? Sounds to me like City are sniffing around at Messi and he's thinking about it. Now they didn't get the most sought after player of each of the last two summers (Pogba and Mbappe) in addition to losing Neymar they are crying foul. Should have focused on parity and fairness in their own league so that clubs not named Barcelona and Real Madrid can afford to keep their players and managers and actually build competitive teams.

I personally think City and PSG should be investigated and sanctioned. Sure, they are making more money now but they got on the map from over the top investment figures so any argument about the current brand is a bit silly trying to stack them up with real clubs. PSG making more than United off sponsors? That's a good laugh. City being ahead of every English team bar United is also a right chuckle.

clarkydaz

Tebas on state aid to RM and Barca: "That's an argument my little kids would use. Why are you giving them biscuits and not me"
So here he sidesteps the elephant in the room. Couldn't city and PSG use his own quote against him?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
So here he sidesteps the elephant in the room. Couldn't city and PSG use his own quote against him?
City may well go against him. PSG also have a case to take him to court but recent history hints that they will only move when they're able to deal the final KO.

JG3001

Can see why there's two sides to this. Yes, in reality, it probably should be investigated as the money is likely from dodgy sources, probably a lot of unethical factors that play into it as well. Sort of makes a joke of FFP also.

However, it's so obviously sour grapes. La Liga (or any one for that matter) have had years to complain about this, yet they only do so now it is having an impact on their transfers. They weren't bothered when they could hoard all the best players.

Plus pot kettle black comes to mind. Lots of state funding, particularly with RM, to ensure they could always pay the silly money in transfers and wages.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
La Liga are messing up going after City and PSG at the same time, most of the football world is up in arms about PSG's deals this summer but very few are really able to do the same about City given their net spend is not even the highest in England and their commercial operations are likewise. La Liga undermine their whole argument.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I wonder if this will be the catalyst for the big clubs of Europe to form a super league to replace the CL. If they don't think UEFA can stop City and PSGs state funding then they might have to take that option

Super league - Madrid, Barca, Atletico, United, Liverpool, Juve, Milan, Bayern etc

Plastic League - City, PSG and RB Leipzig

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I wonder if this will be the catalyst for the big clubs of Europe to form a super league to replace the CL. If they don't think UEFA can stop City and PSGs state funding then they might have to take that option

Super league - Madrid, Barca, Atletico, United, Liverpool, Juve, Milan, Bayern etc

Create a plastic league to protest against "oil clubs"? You lose all credibility.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Create a plastic league to protest against "oil clubs"? You lose all credibility.
Not as a protest, just as a way to close the gap financially with clubs who have unlimited oil money

Richard Cranium

The ones on here seem decent but I think one point being missed that even if certain organisations rate City's brand highly that is partly due to these organisations belief that Mansour will be there continually supplementing the club to the point they can purchase marketable players who make them competitive. It isn't done through the eyes of a perspective new owner which would be a fairer means of actual gauging the value of the name "Manchester City" or "PSG".
They come across as if they're owners just got the ball rolling with a small "leg up" and that the rest was organic growth. Their first league title took about £1 billion. The season before their takeover they got spanked 8-0 by 'boro in the last game of the season.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
They come across as if they're owners just got the ball rolling with a small "leg up" and that the rest was organic growth. Their first league title took about £1 billion. The season before their takeover they got spanked 8-0 by 'boro in the last game of the season.
8-1 actually:nono: Elano scored a cracker when we were 7-0 down. Best goal of the game by far.

Enjuto

Supports
Real Madrid
Tebas makes sense and he's right that the financial doping needs to stop but it's laughable coming from La Liga which is a standard bearer of unfair distribution of money. They were hell bent on killing off the competition in their own league so that Real and Barca could have free reign on everything and dominate and now they feel a threat they speak up?
It's curious that many of you guys think La Liga is the responsible for Real Madrid & Barcelona's reigns last years. Are you aware their TV incomes were even lower than biggest british team ones? According to your point, there was no chance At. Madrid or Sevilla had a decent performance in Europe, and you can compare their last results to Manchester United/City/Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool with 4 or 5 times higher incomes...

Real Madrid & Barcelona have dominated last years because of C.Ronaldo & Messi and because they've had things much better than any other team in Europe

cyberman

This is the same clown who complained that Irish clubs had an unfair advantage over La Liga with our 12 percent tax break.
And boy does it show

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have to be honest: I hate the "plastic clubs" and the "nothing clubs" because I prefer "real clubs" with a long history like United founded in 1878. I particularly hate new clubs established in new plastic cities (Paris) that have discovered football in 2011 or recently founded ones like City in 1880.

Let's be clear, we need to save the "real clubs" for many reasons, the main one is they deserve and should be guaranteed to win the same trophies ad vitam ad aeternam. I don't have the time to explain my views but I also think Barcelona and Bayern should be automatically qualified for the semi-finals of the champions league.

Indeed, City and PSG have become a global threat for world football since they were acquired by Arabs >>> they won 0 champions league >>> Consequently, they are about to win 15 champions league in a row in the short run. France won 2 trophies at the European level: the Champions League in 93 (Marseille) and the Cup of Cup in 1996 (Paris). France ruling Europe has become a new reality: the 1st time since Napoleon.

I don't know if it's because I live outside Europe but it doesn't make sense to have a super club in France. Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Foreign investors, especially American ones. I just mean it's weird to see PSG in a position to acquire more than 500 players a year!!! A new reality is the upcoming scarcity of players for clubs like Real Madrid who are not attractive to buy or produce the best local talents.

I hate "financial doping": in real life, it's impossible to see shareholders/business men/private companies investing money to develop a business :confused: In the history of the sport we love, rich clubs have never existed. It's really a new phenomenon. Moreover, we all know an expensive player is always excellent and that a team comprised of 11 superstars always win everything.

Another issue is that inflation is a new phenomenon: the players used to be cheap and very stable over a long period of time.

We live in a dangerous world and it's important nowadays to have a minimum of certainty: we need stability.

The Past - Champions League Winners

2013 - Bayern Munchen
2014 - Real Madrid
2015 - Barcelona
2016 - Real Madrid
2017 - Real Madrid

My Dream future :drool::drool::drool::drool:

2018 - Bayern Munchen
2019 - Barcelona
2020 - Real Madrid
2021 - United
2022 - Bayern Munchen
2023 - Barcelona
2024 - Manchester United
2025 - Bayern Munchen
2026 - Real Madrid
2027- Real Madrid

I have nothing against City or PSG: I just think they deserved to be banned from the Champions League for 5-6 years so that they will become once again inoffensive plastic clubs as it did before.

Please be careful, I also want more competition and have new ideas. I think the real clubs should have the right to present a 2nd team at the highest level. Imagine the following QF of the Champions League. I would pay to see these new games.

QF 1 - Real Madrid A Vs Barcelona B
QF 2 - Atletico Vs Bayern
QF 3 - United Vs Barcelona A
QF 4 - Real Madrid B Vs Juventus

My suggestion is the plastic clubs create their own plastic league, and the winner has the right to play a friendly at the end of the season against a real team that plays in real life.

NBA is very inspiring: why don't we implement a salary cap? We don't see small clubs, so let's put an end to the old-fashioned relegation battles.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

cyberman

@Enjuto
Maybe you should look at the financial doping that the big Spanish two were built on in terms of the illegal tax breaks that you enjoyed for so long.

el magico

Supports
Manchester City
I have to be honest: I hate the "plastic clubs" and the "nothing clubs" because I prefer "real clubs" with a long history like United founded in 1878. I particularly hate new clubs established in new plastic cities (Paris) that have discovered football in 2011 or recently founded ones like City in 1880.

Let's be clear, we need to save the "real clubs" for many reasons, the main one is they deserve and should be guaranteed to win the same trophies ad vitam ad aeternam. I don't have the time to explain my views but I also think Barcelona and Bayern should be automatically qualified for the semi-finals of the champions league.

Indeed, City and PSG have become a global threat for world football since they were acquired by Arabs >>> they won 0 champions league >>> Consequently, they are about to win 15 champions league in a row in the short run. France won 2 trophies at the European level: the Champions League in 93 (Marseille) and the Cup of Cup in 1996 (Paris). France ruling Europe has become a new reality: the 1st time since Napoleon.

I don't know if it's because I live outside Europe but it doesn't make sense to have a super club in France. Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Foreign investors, especially American ones. I just mean it's weird to see PSG in a position to acquire more than 500 players a year!!! A new reality is the upcoming scarcity of players for clubs like Real Madrid who are not attractive to buy or produce the best local talents.

I hate "financial doping": in real life, it's impossible to see shareholders/business men/private companies investing money to develop a business :confused: In the history of the sport we love, rich clubs have never existed. It's really a new phenomenon. Moreover, we all know an expensive player is always excellent and that a team comprised of 11 superstars always win everything.

Another issue is that inflation is a new phenomenon: the players used to be cheap and very stable over a long period of time.

We live in a dangerous world and it's important nowadays to have a minimum of certainty: we need stability.

2013 - Bayern Munchen
2014 - Real Madrid
2015 - Barcelona
2016 - Real Madrid

2017 - Bayern Munchen
2018 - Barcelona
2019 - Real Madrid
2020 - Manchester United
2021 - Barcelona
2022 - Bayern Munchen
2023 - Barcelona
2024 - Manchester United
2025 - Bayern Munchen
2026 - Real Madrid
2027- Real Madrid

I have nothing against City or PSG: I just think they deserved to be banned from the Champions League for 5-6 years so that they will become once again inoffensive plastic clubs as it did before.

Please be careful, I also want more competition and have new ideas. I think the real clubs should have the right to present a 2nd team at the highest level. Imagine the following QF of the Champions League. I would pay to see these new games.

My suggestion is the plastic clubs create their own plastic league, and the winner has the right to play a friendly at the end of the season against a real team that plays in real life.

NBA is very inspiring: why don't we implement a salary cap? We don't see small clubs, so let's put an end to the old-fashioned relegation battles.

My 2 cents
Good post. Pretty much sums up some of the sentiment on here.

Classical Mechanic

2013 - Bayern Munchen
2014 - Real Madrid
2015 - Barcelona
2016 - Real Madrid
2017 - Real Madrid

2018 - Bayern Munchen
2019 - Barcelona
2020 - Real Madrid
2021 - United
2022 - Bayern Munchen
2023 - Barcelona
2024 - Manchester United
2025 - Bayern Munchen
2026 - Real Madrid
2027- Real Madrid

My 2 cents
Finally! He emotes!

cyberman

Its been shown more than once in recent times that you don't need a billionaire to compete. Thats where the PSG / City fans arguments fall down.
Its not Utd or Bayern that this challenges but teams like Arsenal / Liverpool / Spurs and Monaco.
Feck Dortmund lost Dembele thanks to PSG.

Josep Dowling

I truly hope this never happens. I have completely lost interest in the champions league since United haven't qualified. Seeing the same teams draw each other over and over again has been incredibly dull. I feel like the last 5 years of the Champions Leage has pretty much been the same in the knockout stage.

I'm also sick of club hierarchies trying to find new international markets rather than caring for the real home support that go to games every week. How are fans expected to afford and travel to all these games every week?

Josep Dowling

It's curious that many of you guys think La Liga is the responsible for Real Madrid & Barcelona's reigns last years. Are you aware their TV incomes were even lower than biggest british team ones? According to your point, there was no chance At. Madrid or Sevilla had a decent performance in Europe, and you can compare their last results to Manchester United/City/Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool with 4 or 5 times higher incomes...

Real Madrid & Barcelona have dominated last years because of C.Ronaldo & Messi and because they've had things much better than any other team in Europe
Sevilla perform better in the Europa League because it's worth more money for them to do so. Finishing in the top 10 in the Premier League is worth far more to English clubs than reaching the knockout rounds in the Europa. That is why it isn't taken seriously by most English clubs.

Champions league has been a very different matter. There has been a serious underachievement by English clubs in recent years. However in knock out rounds Barcelona, Real, PSG, Bayern and Juventus have the advantage of switching half their squad for league games and comfortably winning. This simply can't / doesn't happen in our league else you drop points.

AR87

Sevilla perform better in the Europa League because it's worth more money for them to do so. Finishing in the top 10 in the Premier League is worth far more to English clubs than reaching the knockout rounds in the Europa. That is why it isn't taken seriously by most English clubs.
With CL on offer to the winner of Europa this is no longer a valid excuse for English clubs to not take the competition seriously and tbf Liverpool, United and Tottenham have all respected the competition the last couple of years with us winning it last year and Liverpool finishing runners up the year before.

Also the money doesn't matter much to United given our resources, but we essentially made the entirety of Matic's transfer fee with our victory in EL last year.

Inter Yer Nan

Yes, they have, but let's not act like its a level playing field in Spain. At least in England, teams like fecking Watford make enough off the overly fair TV deal to basically have the decision not to sell their players or they can charge a premium and stay way out of the red. Clubs are Spain are basically on their ass because it's designed to make sure Barca and Real stay on top. Atletico and Sevilla have done remarkably well to be successful this past 5+ years. They are defying the odds. Barca and Real will always attract superstars but when the climate is that the rest of the teams have to sell to England or Real and Barca and lose their coaches then you can see our point.

Classical Mechanic

With CL on offer to the winner of Europa this is no longer a valid excuse for English clubs to not take the competition seriously and tbf Liverpool, United and Tottenham have all respected the competition the last couple of years with us winning it last year and Liverpool finishing runners up the year before.

Also the money doesn't matter much to United given our resources, but we essentially made the entirety of Matic's transfer fee with our victory in EL last year.
The past five years Spain have won three and England two. Like you say I think we will see more English clubs looking to win it now.

Josep Dowling

Yes but this has only happened in the last two years because the top 4 is now so competitive, two bigs clubs are missing out each year. Before that the likes of Swansea, Everton and Southampton were qualifying. They don't have the squads to juggle between both competitions so the league always wins. Even then most clubs league form dipped.

Inter Yer Nan

Its been shown more than once in recent times that you don't need a billionaire to compete. Thats where the PSG / City fans arguments fall down.
Its not Utd or Bayern that this challenges but teams like Arsenal / Liverpool / Spurs and Monaco.
Feck Dortmund lost Dembele thanks to PSG.
100%. In fact the trickle down affect has hurt the overall landscape since basically everyone outside of 4-5 clubs are at the mercy of the oil clubs.

City or PSG winning the Champions League wouldn't be the romantic story their fans say it would. In fact it would be worse even than seeing a repeat of the last few years. Recent finalists like Atletico, Juventus, Dortmund, Arsenal would be much better as would a winner like a Porto for example. Clubs that have shown you don't need to be state funded to compete at the highest level.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
City may well go against him. PSG also have a case to take him to court but recent history hints that they will only move when they're able to deal the final KO.
I'd love to see City and PSG team up against him :lol: they seriously should, who does he think is to be barking orders to UEFA to punish other teams? Threatening to go to Brussels if he is not listened to :lol: what a silly little man, he's clearly someone in life who is not use to hearing the word 'no'.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'd love to see City and PSG team up against him :lol: they seriously should, who does he think is to be barking orders to UEFA to punish other teams? Threatening to go to Brussels if he is not listened to :lol: what a silly little man, he's clearly someone in life who is not use to hearing the word 'no'.
A court order or two against him for slander would do him a lot of good. A Le Pen admirer like him can't stand being humiliated by some cheiks. :D

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
100%. In fact the trickle down affect has hurt the overall landscape since basically everyone outside of 4-5 clubs are at the mercy of the oil clubs.

City or PSG winning the Champions League wouldn't be the romantic story their fans say it would. In fact it would be worse even than seeing a repeat of the last few years. Recent finalists like Atletico, Juventus, Dortmund, Arsenal would be much better as would a winner like a Porto for example. Clubs that have shown you don't need to be state funded to compete at the highest level.
Since when has over a decade been able to qualify as recent? :lol:

notcool

Supports
a
PSG hurt themselves, and help other clubs. If they spend above market value then the clubs from which they've bought can buy at market value and improve their squad. And PSG are worse off because they're not getting a good return on their investment. Maybe PSG don't care about their return but at the very least the other clubs are not worse off. Barcelona are only upset because the release clause didn't keep up with the market. Look at Cristiano's release clause. Look at Isco's. Neymar's was way too low. The lesson to be learnt here is for that stupid release clause law to be repealed. Get rid of rules, don't add them.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
PSG hurt themselves, and help other clubs. If they spend above market value then the clubs from which they've bought can buy at market value and improve their squad. And PSG are worse off because they're not getting a good return on their investment. Maybe PSG don't care about their return but at the very least the other clubs are not worse off. Barcelona are only upset because the release clause didn't keep up with the market. Look at Cristiano's release clause. Look at Isco's. Neymar's was way too low. The lesson to be learnt here is for that stupid release clause law to be repealed. Get rid of rules, don't add them.
To be fair that probably wasn't Barca's choice, it was likely a compromise with Neymar. Also I'm not sure if the release clause is due to the choice of the football authorities or Spanish law? At any rate given how entrenched it is in Spanish football I doubt it's realistic that it would be abrogated.

notcool

Supports
a
To be fair that probably wasn't Barca's choice, it was likely a compromise with Neymar. Also I'm not sure if the release clause is due to the choice of the football authorities or Spanish law? At any rate given how entrenched it is in Spanish football I doubt it's realistic that it would be abrogated.
I think it's actually the latter. My nuanced understanding of Spain is that they like to regulate out the ass.

Messi's and Suarez's were pretty low. I think Barca were just caught unawares. Regardless it wouldn't have happened if release clauses weren't required.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Would you rather have United win the league every season by fifteen points for the next ten years, or win four or five in some thrilling title races? I wouldn't have traded City's win in 2012 for another five titles. It's competition that makes the victories worthwhile.
Would I like to see United dominate the PL like Juve in Serie A or Bayern in Bundesliga? Of course!! :keano:

Needham

Don't know the ins and outs of ffp but when you see the constant spunking of 100s of millions what's the point to it? Seems to stop nothing.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
I truly hope this never happens. I have completely lost interest in the champions league since United haven't qualified. Seeing the same teams draw each other over and over again has been incredibly dull. I feel like the last 5 years of the Champions Leage has pretty much been the same in the knockout stage.

I'm also sick of club hierarchies trying to find new international markets rather than caring for the real home support that go to games every week. How are fans expected to afford and travel to all these games every week?
I'm guessing you know the answer already but probably because they don't expect them to. They'd sooner we watched it at home paying through the nose for our subscription to Sky/BT/whoever. UEFA don't give a flying one about match-going fans and increasingly worryingly it seems the clubs don't either, given that match-day revenue makes up a lesser percentage of the overall revenue of the clubs these days. If there was a bumper offer made to form a European super league on the table which earned clubs double in TV and prize money that the current UEFA competitions offer, and it took the form of the same clubs playing each other 4 or 6 times a season, with even more games played than teams play in the CL and EL, how many clubs would turn it down on the principle that it screws their match-going fans over?

Last edited:

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Don't know the ins and outs of ffp but when you see the constant spunking of 100s of millions what's the point to it? Seems to stop nothing.
The official line is that it's more geared to stop clubs getting into financial difficulties than stopping investment (if it was just about the latter then UEFA wouldn't have relaxed the rules in 2015 regarding new investors of clubs), and on that score it has worked to a certain extent. Overall losses amongst clubs in Europe are well down since before FFP came in.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't think Qatar and UAE are gonna side up anytime soon to be honest!