BBC vs ITV Euro 2020

abailey123

Matterface over Tyldesley is a shocker from ITV.
Apparently Pickford ‘fingered it’ the other night when he made a save.
definitely the beeb for me tomorrow

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Don't recall that at all. BBC beat ITV hands down in the ratings even though ITV had Hugh Johns who was every bit a great commentator as Ken Wolstenholme. I recall that ITV had coverage from the morning as they usually did but never recalled the Corrie bit. I can't imagine that's true; it was the biggest thing in English sport and still is. ITV had Barry Davies as well and he never mentioned it in his career retrospective

Then again like the majority, I watched BBC :lol:

In 1970, I was split between ITV and BBC
Well I found it hard to believe, but on Radio 5 this morning they were chatting to a guy who has written a book looking at all the little aspects everyone has forgotten about July 1966 and he seemed to know his stuff. Unfortunately I didn't catch it all - like the guys name for example - but it seemed genuine. I wasn't born till '68 so I can't say anything about it myself and if its true, well I guess everyone who was bothered would have been on BBC anyway.

It really was a different time, earlier in the week a guy rang a phone-in I was listening too, it was just after the Denmark game and he said back in 1966 there was hardly any fuss when England got to the final so he drove 30 miles to a ticket office and bought 2 tickets for the final at 15 shillings which he said was approx 75p! yet someone I know paid £450 x 2 for semi-final tickets for this tournament, I know about 'inflation' but thats just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Ratings predictions (peak)

BBC: 28.2m
ITV: 4.5m
Close run thing then!

I’ll watch BBC just to tip the balance. Can’t stand Lee Dixon, Shatface, Poogatch, adverts.

Actually the adverts are more compelling than the coverage

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Well I found it hard to believe, but on Radio 5 this morning they were chatting to a guy who has written a book looking at all the little aspects everyone has forgotten about July 1966 and he seemed to know his stuff. Unfortunately I didn't catch it all - like the guys name for example - but it seemed genuine. I wasn't born till '68 so I can't say anything about it myself and if its true, well I guess everyone who was bothered would have been on BBC anyway.

It really was a different time, earlier in the week a guy rang a phone-in I was listening too, it was just after the Denmark game and he said back in 1966 there was hardly any fuss when England got to the final so he drove 30 miles to a ticket office and bought 2 tickets for the final at 15 shillings which he said was approx 75p! yet someone I know paid £450 x 2 for semi-final tickets for this tournament, I know about 'inflation' but thats just ridiculous.
We’ll my dad went to the opening games at Wembley and paid on the day! Luckily he saw Charlton’s screamer against Mexico.

Ticket prices are a joke. In this day and age too, exploiting fans when jobs have been lost etc

Wilt

BBC easily, bollocks to Matterfeck, Dixon and adverts.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Matterface over Tyldesley is a shocker from ITV.
Apparently Pickford ‘fingered it’ the other night when he made a save.
definitely the beeb for me tomorrow
Yes, I almost chocked on my drink when I heard about Pickford fingering...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
As much as I'd like to hear Gary Nev's take on things, BBC for me every time. ITV talks so much bollox and pads things so badly - not to mention adverts every 10 f@cking seconds. I'm surprised they haven't started "taking a break" when someone goes down injured

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
My main issue with Matterface isn’t that he’s a ‘twat’ as many people in here strangely think he is. My main issue is something he can’t help, his voice.

For a big, iconic game you need a commentator with a voice that just pops. Tyldsley has this, Tyler had this before he declined, Matterface doesn’t - he has a very generic, bland voice and it takes away from the big moments.

Sancho7

I cringed for Matterface the other night and Lee Dixon is annoying, I'm glad Ally McCoist is not on though who's commentary i find is worse than anyone's at the Euros.

If Gary Neville is commentating i might go with ITV, but at the minute I'm leaning towards actually watching the game on BBC and possibly watching the build up and half time on ITV (if Roy Keane/Neville are in the studio).

stw2022

ITV brought forward their coverage to 6:30, BBC just announced 6:20

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Wonder if they’ll change matter face after that and the memes about him

Deery

Dreary
We watched the ITV coverage and Matterface talked the unbelievable amount of nonsense possible..

Acole9

Outstanding
I watched ITV Matterface didn't seem quite as bad as the semi final.

Acole9

Outstanding
Not from what I heard

At what point he was asking people to "let the joy soak your spine" or some shit
Oh yeah that was a bit weird. To be honest I was more engrossed in the match than the semi final and I wasn't really listening to him. He's still a dreadful commentator regardless.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Matterface has easily overtaken everyone else to become the worst commentator of all time. Quite the feat