BBC vs ITV Euro 2020

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeh I think that’s fair enough personally. The only issue will be that ITV are covering the England game and the BBC will want to talk on England too and get the opinion of their pundits. They should probably just give them a segment at the beginning and end and then save the rest for the actual game. To be honest, I never watch any pre or post match stuff these days anyway.
Good point to be fair.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The parallels with US, France or Italy TV aren't that relevant to the issue though. The BBC is in an almost unique position of serving multiple home nations when covering a competition that is purely about nation-based support. There needs to be some reflection on why there is such widespread annoyance in other home nations with the coverage. There will no doubt be elements of 'anyone but England' feeding into that, but it doesn't explain why so many folk - who are actually quite neutral on what is a far more likeable team than previous generations - have become frustrated. People in the other home nations tuning into the Italy v Spain game, or any of the other 90% of games in the tournament not involving England, have no interest in all the silly England camp fluff that dominates half-time coverage, at the expense of analysis of the games we've tuned in to watch. There's an obliviousness to the wider viewers. For example, news of Gilmour's positive Covid test prompted a 10-minute discussion on the implications for England, as opposed to the country he actually plays for.

All I'd ask for is a tad more awareness of viewers from other home nations. They should keep the enthusiasm and support to properly serve the largest home nation. But a bit less arrogance from boorish pundits like Rio shitting on viewers from these other countries, and less fluff infiltrating coverage either side of games that have nothing to do with England. It's not a lot, but would make a big difference in how we engage with the coverage, and you'd get a lot less folk saying 'I don't mind England, but the media wind me up and make me support the other team'.

youngrell

Thread is funny.

How anyone can’t see that talking about England non-stop in the build up, during half time and after a semi final contested by Spain and Italy is at least a bit annoying to non-England fans is amazing.

It’s not like the BBC we’re tasked with covering Macedonia v Azerbaijan and had feck all to talk about. It was Spain v Italy for feck’s sake.

They should set aside time right at the end of the programming to, you know, preview the next game which involves England.

When they are covering an England game, by all means go all in, their bias then actually becomes entertaining. Same as when a Welsh panel was used for Wales games and same for Scotland.

Although, we still got 10 minutes of England v Scotland during half time of Wales v Turkey :boring:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why shouldn't we be excited? That maybe, just maybe our team is actually going to deliver for a change. England fans have for years and years been drip fed that this team is the one and that team is the one, yet failure after failure. We have had so called top class managers who have hamstrung the team. Now we have a manager who apparently most on here don't rate, but the players love to bits and he has built a great team spirit. Yet apparently only Wales and Scotland have team spirit.

We get told that we are overrated, yet the best Scotland can come up with is a DVD of great victories against the apparently useless England. We might get beaten tonight, but I am very optimistic about the players we have in this squad and the future of our national side.

SO THERE!

JB7

It's almost as if over 80% of the BBCs potential audience live in England the way some of you go on.

Stevondo8

Bbc have 15 minutes to fill, ITV have…8? Maybe once ad breaks are taken into account. That’s a lot of time for bbc to fill, and as pointed out above, majority of viewers will be England fans, so why not talk about England? Even in Wales/Scotland games, there’s probably still more England fans watching.

PoTMS

Ah, these glorious Scottish and Welsh tears. Should've made it to the semis then if you wanted more coverage.

shaky

It's almost as if over 80% of the BBCs potential audience live in England the way some of you go on.
Doesn't mean the BBC should keep addressing the entire audience as if they were all England fans. Over 80% of the BBCs viewers will also be white, but if they treated every viewer as white, I'm sure you wouldn't just tell the minority that it's their problem.

Dozer

Doesn't mean the BBC should keep addressing the entire audience as if they were all England fans. Over 80% of the BBCs viewers will also be white, but if they treated every viewer as white, I'm sure you wouldn't just tell the minority that it's their problem.
What an absolutely nonsensical argument. Nobody is tuning in to watch Black vs White.

The whole ethos of international football is its a contest between nations. It isn't a contest of ethnicities.

arnie_ni

What an absolutely nonsensical argument. Nobody is tuning in to watch Black vs White.

The whole ethos of international football is its a contest between nations. It isn't a contest of ethnicities.
Yea, the 2 nations that evening the audience tunes in for.

That's the point people are trying to make.

Ignore the silly arguments like that

Schmeichel=God

All this Jenas hate! :lol: I quite like Jermaine (or did more so back in his early MOTD days). But I would be wherever Micah isn't, yet Keane is there so I have to grin and bear it. Cannot stand Micah one iota. Liked him as a player, but as a pundit for his insight and general delivery....total ugh.

And just to complete the full house of opposing opinion, I like Lawrenson.

Also, wherever Alex Scott is.... there. :D

I think football coverage isn't what it used to be and both are struggling. Shortage of top broadcast quality on the rosters imo.

And finally, Savage, wherever he isn't.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
All this Jenas hate! :lol: I quite like Jermaine (or did more so back in his early MOTD days). But I would be wherever Micah isn't, yet Keane is there so I have to grin and bear it. Cannot stand Micah one iota. Liked him as a player, but as a pundit for his insight and general delivery....total ugh.

And just to complete the full house of opposing opinion, I like Lawrenson.

Also, wherever Alex Scott is.... there. :D

I think football coverage isn't what it used to be and both are struggling. Shortage of top broadcast quality on the rosters imo.

And finally, Savage, wherever he isn't.
So the advantage of Wales getting eliminated is he disappears.

lsd

The Oracle
Thread is funny.

How anyone can’t see that talking about England non-stop in the build up, during half time and after a semi final contested by Spain and Italy is at least a bit annoying to non-England fans is amazing.

It’s not like the BBC we’re tasked with covering Macedonia v Azerbaijan and had feck all to talk about. It was Spain v Italy for feck’s sake.

They should set aside time right at the end of the programming to, you know, preview the next game which involves England.

When they are covering an England game, by all means go all in, their bias then actually becomes entertaining. Same as when a Welsh panel was used for Wales games and same for Scotland.

Although, we still got 10 minutes of England v Scotland during half time of Wales v Turkey :boring:

Exactly yet English people still defend this. BBC and ITV spout their usual nonsense about employing the likes of Viera and whoever else they may have on but it's pointless when they are cast aside to sit silently while the conversation just turns to England no matter who is actually playing.

TheReligion

Abusive
Thread is funny.

The irony being you only have to look at the Caf to see how much non England fans actually love to talk about England themselves. They just don't like seeing broadcasting corporations doing so.

It's obsessive.

youngrell

The irony being you only have to look at the Caf to see how much non England fans actually love to talk about England themselves. They just don't like seeing broadcasting corporations doing so.

It's obsessive.
I don’t think complaining about the BBC banging on about England passes as obsessive :lol:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ah, these glorious Scottish and Welsh tears. Should've made it to the semis then if you wanted more coverage.
Tears of laughter at your country voting for Boris Johnson.

MoskvaRed

Exactly yet English people still defend this. BBC and ITV spout their usual nonsense about employing the likes of Viera and whoever else they may have on but it's pointless when they are cast aside to sit silently while the conversation just turns to England no matter who is actually playing.
Are you seriously suggesting that, if the Tuesday/Wednesday fixtures had been reversed, Spanish and Italian TV would have covered the England-Denmark game without talking about the upcoming game involving their own country?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Please don't be Matterface tonight, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaase.

Sir Marcus

It's obsessive.
:houllier:

lsd

The Oracle
Are you seriously suggesting that, if the Tuesday/Wednesday fixtures had been reversed, Spanish and Italian TV would have covered the England-Denmark game without talking about the upcoming game involving their own country?

Bbc is not just England. Exactly what do you find difficult to understand about that?

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Matterface is an insufferable cnut. ITV chose him over Clive :houllier:

Zoo

Matterface completely ruined that. He’s absolutely shite. I’m going to complain to Ofcom.

T_Model101

"Call your boss, kids stay up as late as you want"
Just dreadful stuff from Matterface