Television Beckham's Netflix documentary

Amarsdd

Interesting that there was no Scholes either.

Yeah, what kind of person calls himself a side dish and just says he was practicing throw ins. He underrates himself way too much, we haven’t had a RB as good as him since he retired, but that’s not enough praise. He was genuinely a fantastic player and captain, his crossing ability in his latter years was so good.
There is Scholes in there, a lot less than Neville and Keane, but he's there.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?

Yeah, what kind of person calls himself a side dish and just says he was practicing throw ins. He underrates himself way too much, we haven’t had a RB as good as him since he retired, but that’s not enough praise. He was genuinely a fantastic player and captain, his crossing ability in his latter years was so good.
Scholes was involved in the doc itself but yes, they really never touched on his play for the team. He was in it just as a another Beckham fan. At least he didn't put himself down like Neville.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

G Nev has always said that kind of thing about his own abilities, I agree that he sells himself short but it's not a new thing, no Giggs is understandable, no Nicky Butt surprised me

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I thought it was interesting when Beckham said it was like a family and Fergie basically said it couldn't be like a family because he had to pick players based on their performance and fit for the team and such. Good insight into how ruthless a great manager has to be.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Just finish the first episode. Love the show. Brings back all the great memories of Man Utd and football during 90s.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Beckham didn't win the free-kick for his goal against Greece. IIRC it was Sheringham jumping for a header but the defender climbed all over him.

In the documentary it shows him dribbling past a few players and being fouled, followed by the free-kick. So it's look he won it and scored it.

It's a tiny detail but makes you question what else they've changed. Also there's no need to edit it that way, it's already an incredible moment and a magnificent goal that took balls.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
G Nev has always said that kind of thing about his own abilities, I agree that he sells himself short but it's not a new thing, no Giggs is understandable, no Nicky Butt surprised me
There's no Butt for the same reason there's no Giggs.

It's a Beckham puff piece, there was never gonna be anyone linked to domestic violence in it.

acnumber9

Beckham didn't win the free-kick for his goal against Greece. IIRC it was Sheringham jumping for a header but the defender climbed all over him.

In the documentary it shows him dribbling past a few players and being fouled, followed by the free-kick. So it's look he won it and scored it.

It's a tiny detail but makes you question what else they've changed. Also there's no need to edit it that way, it's already an incredible moment and a magnificent goal that took balls.
They did it about the game he met Posh at too. Talked about the game at Old Trafford spliced with him scoring a volley at Stamford Bridge.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They did it about the game he met Posh at too. Talked about the game at Old Trafford spliced with him scoring a volley at Stamford Bridge.
:lol: There's just no need. It makes you question the intentions of the doc.

youngrell

:lol: There's just no need. It makes you question the intentions of the doc.
There was a few more obvious ones too, where Becks' ever changing haircut made it very difficult for them to hide the incorrect timelines, but I imagine it got past a lot of viewers.

I don't mind too much, it's not like they are changing the narrative too drastically, but I agree the England/Greece one in particular is silly. May have even worked better if they showed him missing the free kick he won but eventually sticking the other one away.

clarkydaz

Scholes is in it though very briefly, think its just one comment

Massive Spanner

It annoyed me that they made such a big deal of how great the Galacticos were and how intimidating that team was to go into yet according to the doc he basically won the treble by himself in 99 and all our other amazing players were bystanders.

mckenzie79

OK, so is anyone else not over 12 years of age absolutely raging over this? How he got supreme protection from Utd fans from the 1st home game after World Cup , to the last game of the season, nothing I've seen before or since.

The playing of away fans abuse over home games, shoddy editing, the fact apparently he waited until mid March to hear Utd fans sing his name at Old Trafford against Inter Milan, which is pure science fiction, the fact he supposedly wanted to go to Madrid.

It's all Bollocks, trust me.

Anyone that was at those home games or through that period, please speak up because it's absolute shite.

We defended him solidly throughout everything, from the final whistle of World Cup to when he went to Madrid . Honestly it's pure fiction. I cant stand it.

We've been fecked over massivly in this documentary. It's brand Beckham publicising what they want.

He wanted to move to Madrid apparently. Seriously, as weird as it sounds to modern fans cos we're really shit now, but then, no, just no, no, no.

It's pure Bollocks.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
OK, so is anyone else not over 12 years of age absolutely raging over this? How he got supreme protection from Utd fans from the 1st home game after World Cup , to the last game of the season, nothing I've seen before or since.

The playing of away fans abuse over home games, shoddy editing, the fact apparently he waited until mid March to hear Utd fans sing his name at Old Trafford against Inter Milan, which is pure science fiction, the fact he supposedly wanted to go to Madrid.

Anyone that was at those home games or through that period, please speak up because it's absolute shite.

We defended him solidly throughout everything, from the final whistle of World Cup to when he went to Madrid . Honestly it's pure fiction. I cant stand it.

We've been fecked over massivly in this documentary. It's brand Beckham publicising what they want.

He wanted to move to Madrid apparently. Seriously, as weird as it sounds to modern fans cos we're really shit now, but then, no, just no, no, no.

It's pure Bollocks.
He did speak highly of Madrid but I thought they showed pretty clearly that he didn't want to leave United, I think he said twice that United was the only club he ever wanted to play for with Neville filling in about how they thought they were going to hold down that right hand side until they retired. Even when Becks talked about Zidane asking him if he was coming to Madrid after the game at OT which he apparently thought was the coolest thing ever he said he was chuffed hearing him say that but even so he didn't want to leave.

It was only when he found out he'd been sold to Barca he kicked up a fuzz and said if I'm leaving then I want to go to Madrid.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

It's pure Bollocks.
Pretty sure he repeatedly said that United got him through the abuse? Both the club, SAF and the fans.

He also didn't say he wanted to move to Madrid before it was clear he was being sold. You can also tell he's not over leaving United (he says repeatedly he didn't want to leave) as his mate alludes to.

There's definitely some wonky editing involved but we come out of it looking absolutely fine.

rollingstoned1

I doubt it.

Where was the national witch-hunt? Obviously the racist abuse they received online was abhorrent; but was in no way as vitriolic or consistent as what happend with Becks. That was literally front and back page news, the fallout of he Euros was forgotten within a week.
Only thing comparable after that was Ronaldo's winkgate after the 2006 wc. That was when the Madrid rumours initially started.

Oranges038

It makes it look like the game was 1-1, when it was 2-2. I found that weird. He definitely put that freekick he won wide, but it was from the same place roughly. I think it also fails to mention that he played the ball in for Sheringham's goal.

And that he'd taken about 47 freekicks that day and missed them all up to that point,Sheringham won that freekick and wanted to take it. Beckham told him to do one and buried it.

I found a lot of the editing a bit weird and timings to be off on some of the clips. Even the clips of the fans shouting abuse being sounded over games etc. And the whole "one David Beckham" chant thing starting during the Inter Milan game or however they framed it. It's good in a way, but it's obviously just selling a story with the use of some creative editing.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It makes it look like the game was 1-1, when it was 2-2. I found that weird. He definitely put that freekick he won wide, but it was from the same place roughly. I think it also fails to mention that he played the ball in for Sheringham's goal.

And that he'd taken about 47 freekicks that day and missed them all up to that point,Sheringham won that freekick and wanted to take it. Beckham told him to do one and buried it.

I found a lot of the editing a bit weird and timings to be off on some of the clips. Even the clips of the fans shouting abuse being sounded over games etc. And the whole "one David Beckham" chant thing starting during the Inter Milan game or however they framed it. It's good in a way, but it's obviously just selling a story with the use of some creative editing.
That bit was incredibly cringe. Did not happen :lol:

Oranges038

That bit was incredibly cringe. Did not happen :lol:
It was, the whole thing makes it seem like he was playing shite until March and that moment made it all click for him and he made the rest of the season happen as it did. When we all know it was really Roy Keane who made the difference.

I've only watched 2 and a half episodes. But I think some of the funniest bits have come from Simeone, he seems like he genuinely couldn't give two fecks about the whole thing and is only having a laugh. They should have dubbed him over Eurotrash style.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just finished ep2

simeone, what a git

seems still raw for becks. Don’t think his bottling up served him well, wouldn’t be surprised to learn that his ocd went mad from that time

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

That was so stupid. That Inter game was towards the end of the season but they gave the impression that was the first time the United fans rallied behind him and that this was the turning point in terms of his performances on the pitch. The United fans had been loudly behind him since the very first game of the season. And he'd been excellent from day one as well. So that whole scene was basically completely fictional. It was unnecesary too. Why not use the exact same narrative about what actually happened, starting with our first home game? From 2-0 down to 2-2 with a classic Beckham freekick to equalise in the 90th minute. How much more drama did they need?!

Last edited:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Its kind of jarring when they do the close up of the Becks' face when he's rewatching the old footage. He looks almost wax like, as if someone got loads of plastic surgery to look like David Beckham.

Oranges038

That was so stupid. That Inter game was towards the end of the season but they gave the impression that was the first time the United fans rallied behind him and that this was the turning point in terms of his performances on the pitch. The United fans had been loudly behind him since the very first game of the season. And he'd been excellent from day one as well. So that whole scene was basically completely fictional. It was unnecesary too. Why not use the exact same narrative about what actually happened, starting with our first home game? From 2-0 down to 2-2 with a classic Beckham freekick to equalise in the 90th minute. How much more drama did they need?!
They showed a clip of him skying a freekick and a few wayward crosses to make it look like he was playing shite.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The way they kept showing misplaced passes to make it look like he was struggling in games too :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
The way they kept showing misplaced passes to make it look like he was struggling in games too :lol:
Just a bizarre narrative choice. Could so easily have gone with “killing it on the pitch but dying inside” angle. Which was closer to the truth anyway. Instead they created a fictional reality which made the hero of their documentary look less heroic!

JB7

I kept pausing it and saying exactly this to my Mrs. It was a really bizarre turn for it to take given he came out of World Cup 98 and went on to have the best season of his career, where he could easily have won the Ballon d'Or. And that first game surely had everything they wanted for the dramatic narrative, one of Leicester goals came from him losing a 50:50, our first goal was a Beckham shot that deflected in off Sheringham and then him scoring a 90th minute freekick equaliser with the commentator shouting "BECKHAM'S BACK". I know that Netflix like to move things around for effect but that season, and that period in his life, didn't need it, it was already its own story which if you'd written in literature would have been rejected as ridiculous.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I kept pausing it and saying exactly this to my Mrs. It was a really bizarre turn for it to take given he came out of World Cup 98 and went on to have the best season of his career, where he could easily have won the Ballon d'Or. And that first game surely had everything they wanted for the dramatic narrative, one of Leicester goals came from him losing a 50:50, our first goal was a Beckham shot that deflected in off Sheringham and then him scoring a 90th minute freekick equaliser with the commentator shouting "BECKHAM'S BACK". I know that Netflix like to move things around for effect but that season, and that period in his life, didn't need it, it was already its own story which if you'd written in literature would have been rejected as ridiculous.
It was also annoying how they kind of glossed over how much the fans got behind him. As though we first showed him some love with a half hearted sounding “one David Beckham” part way through a CL match in March!

It’s almost unprecedented to see any one player get the level of support we gave him that season, from his first kick of the ball. Not that you’d know it from this documentary.

JB7

It was also annoying how they kind of glossed over how much the fans got behind him. As though we first showed him some love with a half hearted sounding “one David Beckham” part way through a CL match in March!

It’s almost unprecedented to see any one player get the level of support we gave him that season, from his first kick of the ball. Not that you’d know it from this documentary.
Yeah it was, it's a shame because it would have further fed into the storyline he had going about his family giving him strength given he had spoken about United as being a family etc. Netflix always prefer to build a world-against-us type redemption story though so I kind of expected it to be honest.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hopefully the guy from Succession who made this does "Maguire" next.
The music in it was very Successiony. At one point there was a grainy clip of him playing football in the garden as a kid with that music playing and I said it looked straight out of a Succession intro.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Just finished ep2

simeone, what a git

seems still raw for becks. Don’t think his bottling up served him well, wouldn’t be surprised to learn that his ocd went mad from that time
For what it's worth it seems that Beckham has OCDP, not OCD.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The music in it was very Successiony. At one point there was a grainy clip of him playing football in the garden as a kid with that music playing and I said it looked straight out of a Succession intro.
I said exactly the same thing as we were watching last night.

The first two episodes were generally great as a nostalgia trip for any United fan, ignoring the silly editing and misleading narrative at times, it was just great fun to revisit the era.

The second two episodes were various degrees of garbage. I came out of the viewing experience with a different view of David Beckham and not for the better. A very cynical and PR driven effort that missed the mark imo and left him looking like a man for whom genuine emotion was a distant memory and his only remaining recognisable attribute was a desire to create a legacy and make a feck tonne of money no matter what.

Oh and Victoria came across really well; much the opposite for her verses him.

Massive Spanner

I said exactly the same thing as we were watching last night.

The first two episodes were generally great as a nostalgia trip for any United fan, ignoring the silly editing and misleading narrative at times, it was just great fun to revisit the era.

The second two episodes were various degrees of garbage. I came out of the viewing experience with a different view of David Beckham and not for the better. A very cynical and PR driven effort that missed the mark imo and left him looking like a man for whom genuine emotion was a distant memory and his only remaining recognisable attribute was a desire to create a legacy and make a feck tonne of money no matter what.

Oh and Victoria came across really well; much the opposite for her verses him.
She's always come across a lot better than him. Great sense of humour. I still love the Ali G interview they did years and years ago (it's referenced in the doc) where she has loads of good quips and he just sort of sits there smiling.

I think he's probably a bit dim, really, admits it himself at times in the doc in fairness. All he cares about is the money and fame and nothing else. Even when he "chased" Victoria it sounds like he basically wanted her because she was the hottest member of the biggest girl group in the world rather than anything meaningful.