Behind the Curtain | Eastern European draft | The winner: Skizzo

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Sad. This is a draft that he can be expected to shine best. Despite place of birth, I considered him to be Eastern European tbh!
A guy who played for Czech Republic should have been allowed in.

This is one of those drafts you really feel the pain of being stuck right in the middle.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Downcast (Anders Emil Våge) 1. F. Puskás 2. B. Zebec 3. G. Popescu
Moby 1. M. Sammer 2. E. Streltsov
green_smiley 1. D. Džajić 2. Z. Boban
Skizzo 1. P. Nedved 2. K. Deyna
Isotope 1. H. Stoichkov 2. D. Savićević
prath92 1. J. Bozsik 2. M. Sindelar
Šjor Bepo (Invictus) 1. N. Hidegkuti 2. N. Vidić
BorisDeLeFora 1. S. Kocsis 2. L. Yashin
Raees 1. J. Masopust 2. A. Shesternyov
mazhar13 (oneniltothearsenal) 1. V. Vasović 2. M. Khurtsilava
Tuppet 1. Z. Boniek 2. F. Albert
Enigma_87 1. L. Kubala 2. L. Modrić
Pat_Mustard 1. Z. Czibor 2. G. Sárosi
RedTiger (2mufc0) 1. G. Hagi 2. A. Shevchenko
Gio (Theon) 1. O. Blokhin 2. V. Voronin
Jayvin 1. G. Lato 2. I. Netto

@Moby

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Great picks downcast.
Thanks mate :) Yesterday night, my top priority was Deyna.

Given the pool, we tend to target the same players so I still don't know the 'philosophy' of my team or my tactical system.

I guess I will submit 2 new picks on Wednesday or Thursday.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A guy who played for Czech Republic should have been allowed in.

This is one of those drafts you really feel the pain of being stuck right in the middle.
It's a tricky one. The spirit of the draft should see the likes of Bican and Oleg Kuznetsov included, and it's a shame that they aren't going to shine on this stage of all, but I can see why the draft overlord wants a hard-and-fast rule to avoid stragglers like Ibra getting squeezed in.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Gio Surely the latter is eligible? He was born in Magdeburg which is on the map (i.e outside the wall)? Correct me if I'm wrong but his place of birth is on the highlighted part of the map?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Gio Surely the latter is eligible? He was born in Magdeburg which is on the map (i.e outside the wall)? Correct me if I'm wrong but his place of birth is on the highlighted part of the map?
I'd think so - but technically by the rules he's not as East Germany players are only eligible if they played for East Germany. Perhaps it would be better to say 'East Germany or another listed country'? @harms

Enigma_87

You know who
I'd think so - but technically by the rules he's not as East Germany players are only eligible if they played for East Germany. Perhaps it would be better to say 'East Germany or another listed country'? @harms
I can see where you are coming from but he's a USSR player not East Germany or played for the western states/countries and IMO falls into the USSR team with a place of birth inside the highlighted parts of the map. Up to @harms to decide.

Moby

Dick
Moby 1. M. Sammer 2. E. Streltsov 3. D. Stojković
green_smiley 1. D. Džajić 2. Z. Boban

@green_smiley

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
green_smiley 1. D. Džajić 2. Z. Boban 3. R. Lewandowski

@Skizzo

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
It's a tricky one. The spirit of the draft should see the likes of Bican and Oleg Kuznetsov included, and it's a shame that they aren't going to shine on this stage of all, but I can see why the draft overlord wants a hard-and-fast rule to avoid stragglers like Ibra getting squeezed in.
But with Ibra he has played for Sweden, I don't see why he should be included as an eastern european player. Whereas Bican had 14 caps for Czechs. Not comparable for me.

Enigma_87

You know who
But with Ibra he has played for Sweden, I don't see why he should be included as an eastern european player. Whereas Bican had 14 caps for Czechs. Not comparable for me.
To be honest lots of players are missing due to the place of birth that IMO have place in the draft. You have Rakitic not available due to being born in Switzerland for example and he's EE as it gets. I can see harms putting that limitation so it's easier for him to handle disputes tho.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Moby ping me if you need additional materials on Piksi. Love him to bits and have many many info compiled on him.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Moby ping me if you need additional materials on Piksi. Love him to bits and have many many info compiled on him.
Just post it here mate, unless Aldo would prefer to save it for the match day thread but it would be better if you just post it here as it's more likely to be read.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
To be honest lots of players are missing due to the place of birth that IMO have place in the draft. You have Rakitic not available due to being born in Switzerland for example and he's EE as it gets. I can see harms putting that limitation so it's easier for him to handle disputes tho.
The fact that Rakitic can't play either despite being a proper Croatian international, for me that means the rule doesn't make sense. Doesn't bother me, would have had no chance of getting Bican anyway but I do want to see criteria which follows common sense.. for me an eastern european draft where a croatian international can't take part? that doesn't seem logical.

Enigma_87

You know who
Just post it here mate, unless Aldo would prefer to save it for the match day thread but it would be better if you just post it here as it's more likely to be read.
Aye, I'll start with a game between Red Star and my local team in 87.

He tore us apart that day. Often swapped wings, put some great crosses in (2 assists to his name).

I'll translate some Serbian articles when I have more free time and put a profile on him in the thread as you did with Schuster :)

Moby

Dick
Yeah and this goes for everyone of course, the main objective of such themes are appreciation of these players who usually get overlooked more than anything so any insight shared would be incredibly appreciated. :)

Enigma_87

You know who
The fact that Rakitic can't play either despite being a proper Croatian international, for me that means the rule doesn't make sense. Doesn't bother me, would have had no chance of getting Bican anyway but I do want to see criteria which follows common sense.. for me an eastern european draft where a croatian international can't take part? that doesn't seem logical.
Well there will always be cases like that so you have to draw a line somewhere. Of course going by definition having Rakitic ineligible and Podolski eligible doesn't make sense, but it is what it is, especially with the turbulent political map of the region.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The rule should be "played for Eastern European team or was born there" (with the exception of East Germans who didn't play for East Germany).

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I can see where you are coming from but he's a USSR player not East Germany or played for the western states/countries and IMO falls into the USSR team with a place of birth inside the highlighted parts of the map. Up to @harms to decide.
The rules says that he isn't eligible, so I won't make an exception. I expected some difficult cases, but not as many!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The rule should be "played for Eastern European team or was born there" (with the exception of East Germans who didn't play for East Germany).
In hindsight - yeah. Not sure that it's fair to change the rules as the draft goes, including the likes of Bican who would've been picked earlier

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'd say post obscure player profiles in here. I'm not playing so might miss some of the matches but I'm following the thread to learn about some of the players so would be good for me to be able to read up on a few of the more interesting ones.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He was my next pick. Thought we had unfinished business but alas was not to be. I'll find a way of picking him up in another draft.

That thread was one for the ages.. cringe when I read through it but it was spectacularly entertaining.

Skizzo

green_smiley 1. D. Džajić 2. Z. Boban 3. R. Lewandowski
Skizzo 1. P. Nedved 2. K. Deyna 3. Popluhar