Belgium national team

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Because he's become an all round midfielder and just comparing attacking stays doesn't do justice to what role KDB plays now
Err yes it does, you can hardly claim he fulfills much defensive responsibility when City have 70% of the ball every game. Certainly it’s not an area he’s exactly impressing, is it? People are assessing him based on his productivity, the chances he creates etc, not how many tackles he may or may not make per game or how many km’s he runs ffs. Get your head out of his arse and look it it objectivitely for once.

Ainu

Courtois
Meunier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - some LB
Dembele - Nainggolan - Dendoncker
De Bruyne - Mertens - Hazard

That's right, no Lukaku. Counter football with Hazard/Mertens displaying their trickyness and mobility.
I don't see it. De Bruyne is better in midfield, Mertens is perfectly fine on the right and our NT is much better with Lukaku in the side than without him. There's no reason to play Dendoncker, he's been awful for god knows how long now, even if he's often been played out of position at Anderlecht. He certainly doesn't deserve to start for our NT.

I wonder how often the people with an opinion about our team actually watch us on a regular basis.

Also, the people who say De Bruyne is our main man. He isn't. During our WC 2014 qualifiers he was our best player and Hazard was largely underwhelming. Since then, the roles have been steadily reversing, and I'd say Hazard has been our key player for a long time now. De Bruyne has to do better, he's been coasting through our games and not looking like giving a feck.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Also, the people who say De Bruyne is our main man. He isn't. During our WC 2014 qualifiers he was our best player and Hazard was largely underwhelming. Since then, the roles have been steadily reversing, and I'd say Hazard has been our key player for a long time now. De Bruyne has to do better, he's been coasting through our games and not looking like giving a feck.
Have been watching Belgium quite regularly since ~2016, and I thought the same for that timeframe. There are limits to what statistics can say about the impact of playmakers, but in this case they are so clear that they confirm this impression as well, imo.

But I wouldn't dismiss De Bruyne too much, often players with an excellent passing game look underwhelming when there's little offensive cohesion (and therefore few good passing options). Under Wilmots this particular issue was almost comically bad.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Courtois
Meunier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - some LB
Dembele - Nainggolan - Dendoncker
De Bruyne - Mertens - Hazard

That's right, no Lukaku. Counter football with Hazard/Mertens displaying their trickyness and mobility.
I think it's far more likely they line up with the side I posted on the first page.

There is no LB, btw. Jordan Lukaku is probably the best (and he's rotational option for Lazio, I believe). YFC or Chadli will probably play LWB.

I think Nainggolan's time with the NT is now over. First the smoking/training drama, now the drunk on NYE Instagram stuff. China's finest Axel Witsel will probably start.

Hazard, Mertens, and De Bruyne have enough individual star quality to carry the squad but they very rarely perform to their domestic standard for Belgium. Heck, aside from a hatful of players - who does?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
They are missing a player who can build up the game in midfield. Other than that, they have a great team.
They’ll win nothing and play terrible football throughout, though.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
Could Mertens not start as central striker?
Yes he can but that means benching Lukaku and that is unlikely to happen under Martinez.

They need more cohesion as a team, look how Italy tactically outfought them in the last euros with a much inferior 11 and Wales was similar in the quarters.
I think you're right to say that Belgium is not a team, more a group of talented players with the exception of some. I think some players also have a too big ego and that they can't deal with critics. I don't see what Martinez plan is after all this time thats why I don't believe in Belgium.

Euro2016 was their chance I think but they gave it away against a team who they played against in the qualifiers and who could counter their good points. They couldn't answer to the strong points of Wales and they played them twice in the qualifiers. But probably Portugal would have been too strong in the semi final. Maybe that Uefa Nations leaugue is something for them if they get a new coach after the World cup.

Reactions: Raoul

onemanarmy

I think something like this would suit us best. Leaving out Mertens is a big call, but the reason he plays that well in Napoli is that their system suits him perfectly.

----------------------- Courtois
----Alderweireld - Kompany - Vertonghen
Meunier - Witsel - De Bruyne - Naingollan - Carrasco
--------------------------Hazard
------------------- Lukaku

I don't get my hopes up for this WC. Purely based on talent we can beat anyone, but Martinez is almost as bad as Wilmots was. If only our FA wasn't broke and could afford a decent coach. Anyways, we got our best chance in the Euros. With a half decent manager we would have beaten Wales, no doubt about that.

Ainu

I think something like this would suit us best. Leaving out Mertens is a big call, but the reason he plays that well in Napoli is that their system suits him perfectly.

I don't get my hopes up for this WC. Purely based on talent we can beat anyone, but Martinez is almost as bad as Wilmots was. If only our FA wasn't broke and could afford a decent coach. Anyways, we got our best chance in the Euros. With a half decent manager we would have beaten Wales, no doubt about that.
You know as well as I do that Nainggolan is probably not going to the World Cup. The whole country wants him in that team, but Martinez clearly has other ideas. It'll be your line-up but just a midfield two of Witsel - De Bruyne while Mertens moves behind Lukaku along with Hazard. The only glimmer of hope is Martinez might be forced to call upon Nainggolan since Defour's (who Martinez bizarrely seems to prefer) injury will keep him out of the World Cup.

It's between Kompany and Vermaelen for that 3rd CB slot, whoever is least crocked. Knowing these two, they'll probably both end up injured and we're stuck with Ciman there. :nervous:

AllezLesDiables

You know as well as I do that Nainggolan is probably not going to the World Cup. The whole country wants him in that team, but Martinez clearly has other ideas. It'll be your line-up but just a midfield two of Witsel - De Bruyne while Mertens moves behind Lukaku along with Hazard. The only glimmer of hope is Martinez might be forced to call upon Nainggolan since Defour's (who Martinez bizarrely seems to prefer) injury will keep him out of the World Cup.

It's between Kompany and Vermaelen for that 3rd CB slot, whoever is least crocked. Knowing these two, they'll probably both end up injured and we're stuck with Ciman there. :nervous:
He’d take a 41 year old Timmy Simons over Nainggolan, the prick.

AllezLesDiables

Much rather have Dembele in rather than Witsel. Also would like Tielemans in as well.

onemanarmy

Or Kabasele :) The 2 man midfield would get us exposed against the bigger teams. I really feel Mertens is being shoehorned in that team.

I think Martinez would even prefer Dendoncker in stead of Naingollan. Shame really.

Much rather have Dembele in rather than Witsel. Also would like Tielemans in as well.
I've never been convinced when Dembele played for Belgium. I like him as a player, but he's never excelled. Witsel brings more balance to the team, imo. Tielemans is a good option to have.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
What's the matter with Nainggolan being constantly snubbed?

Is it that his lack of discipline off the field would make it hard to integrate him into the group? (In this case Martinez's decision would be somewhat understandable.)

Or has it not been that bad and it's more down to Martinez not wanting him? (That would be hugely idiotic.)

A midfield of DM + Nainggolan - De Bruyne (like in the EUROs) would be magnificent.

onemanarmy

What's the matter with Nainggolan being constantly snubbed?

Is it that his lack of discipline off the field would make it hard to integrate him into the group? (In this case Martinez's decision would be somewhat understandable.)

Or has it not been that bad and it's more down to Martinez not wanting him? (That would be hugely idiotic.)

A midfield of DM + Nainggolan - De Bruyne (like in the EUROs) would be magnificent.
Nothing to do with the group, the other players all want him to go to the WC, as he obviously is a good player.

Martinez just doesn’t like him. Naingollan isn’t the most disciplined player there is, and he’s using that as an excuse not to select him. But it’s more down to a clash of personalities I think. Now that Defour is out for the season, it’s interesting what Martinez is going to do for the upcoming friendlies.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Can't see Lukaku being dropped and KDB surely in midfield.

As an Englishman used to see us under achieve it will be interesting to watch Belgium.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can not play 3-5-2 v Brazil, Carrasco didn't have a clue how to play the role against a mobile frontline.

Stick one of the CBs at left back and then they have a chance.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
They did great to battle back, it will be interesting to see how they match up to Brazil and vice versa.

Inter Yer Nan

Obviously you'll be looking at the fact they were 2-0 with not much time left and think Brazil will make mincemeat of these but never underestimate the momentum from such an epic comeback.

I'd like to see a tweak perhaps at left-back because Willian will have a field day with Carassco. Rather put an out and out defender on him.

Charles Miller

I think they look weak in defense mostly because they are trying to play a more noble style. I suspect they will be able to defend if they really need to. Also those attacking players can score against any side. And their matches are funny asf. Nothing boring about Belgium:lol:

simplyared

Getting past a very good Japanese outfit, having their backs to the wall, will make them stronger. Not got the best out of De Bruyne yet. They could certainly go all the way!

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Martinez is better off with Carrassco far away from the team. He's pure garbage. 4-3-3 against Brazil would be ideal. Get De Bruyne futher up the pitch to exploit the hole that Casemiro will leave.

I'm just happy my bet is still on! Now for England to lose as I need Lukaku to finish top scorer.

Wanderlust_09

Dembele has to start against Brazil, with Vertonghen pushed to LB.
BEL would have to shift to a 4-3-3 with KDB pushed forward and retaining the same front 3 of Mertens, Lukaku and Hazard.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Dembele has to start against Brazil, with Vertonghen pushed to LB.
BEL would have to shift to a 4-3-3 with KDB pushed forward and retaining the same front 3 of Mertens, Lukaku and Hazard.
If they play with that line of 3 against Brazil they will walk over them, hopefully Martinez follows your advice.

Wanderlust_09

If they play with that line of 3 against Brazil they will walk over them, hopefully Martinez follows your advice.
Why? What do you propose then?
I don't think it'd be a good idea to start with Fellaini. Bring him on as a sub in the 2nd half to cause havoc in the Brazillian penalty box. Playing with wing backs would give a free run for Neymar/Willian down the flanks.

Schneckerl

Getting past a very good Japanese outfit, having their backs to the wall, will make them stronger.
Please... the general consensus before the game was that they the should get past themeasily - 0:2 should have never happened.

SER19

Pundits on rte think theyd be better off dropping de bruyne, who they feel doesnt like not being the main creator. Thats all just guesswork but either way hes having yet another poor tournament, shadow of his form at city.

On paper belgium should be way more convincing than they are. Quite like them and happy to see them go far but something feels a touch off like its an unhappy camp or something

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Why? What do you propose then?
I don't think it'd be a good idea to start with Fellaini. Bring him on as a sub in the 2nd half to cause havoc in the Brazillian penalty box. Playing with wing backs would give a free run for Neymar/Willian down the flanks.
4/3/3.

Ainu

We've never (or very rarely) played 4-3-3 under Martinez, so I can't see him suddenly going with that. I don't think there's a lot of tactical flexibility, Martinez hasn't really tried out different systems. I'm pretty sure the space in behind our wing backs is going to be our downfall. Replacing Carrasco is a necessity because he's awful but it doesn't fix the systemic issues.