Ben Foster challenging Juan Mata for the "nicest footballer" title.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Also auctioned some of the goalkeeper kits he has exchanged this season for charity. Reckon an Arsenal fan will pay big bucks for the latest Alisson one.

Siorac

Solid keeper, nice guy and we should hear more of these kind of stories, can't believe he is 36 though.
What?!

Jesus, just checked. He's turning 37 next month! In my mind he's still 30, basically.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Absolute class.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I wonder whether there is a correlation between being a nice guy and struggling with the competitiveness needed to be at the very top level. I always thought talent wise Foster was a sensational keeper.

I remember Gary Neville once saying something akin to that with Ben Foster, and a lot of the absolute greats seem to have psychopathic tendencies.

Sweet Square

I wonder whether there is a correlation between being a nice guy and struggling with the competitiveness needed to be at the very top level. I always thought talent wise Foster was a sensational keeper.

I remember Gary Neville once saying something akin to that with Ben Foster, and a lot of the absolute greats seem to have psychopathic tendencies.
Thought the same until the I googled Messi and charity events

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/742722/12-messi-charity-moments/

dal

I met Ben once in a bar with two other footballers about 7 years back, he was just a proper down to earth lad friendly, engaging, he seemed like he was a football fan rather than a footballer. great lad.

Reactions: Rood

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Heard him on talksport the other day and as always he came across such a great guy. Was talking about Jordan Pickford and the mental side of the game, and think he was saying he goes around doing public speaking on self confidence and mental health

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There's a whole book by Jon Ronson about the way psychopathy correlates with outstanding success. It obviously works a little better in business as you'll only get so far by manipulating people around you in football.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Thought the same until the I googled Messi and charity events

https://www.foxsportsasia.com/football/742722/12-messi-charity-moments/
Yeah, I thought about Messi but I also think he's just on a different plane to everyone else in terms of talent. I doubt we'd have seen Messi become the GOAT without Cristiano, because he doesn't seem to have those characteristics but is a normally competitive sportsman and wanted to be the best of his generation given his extreme talent.

Classical Mechanic

There's a whole book by Jon Ronson about the way psychopathy correlates with outstanding success. It obviously works a little better in business as you'll only get so far by manipulating people around you in football.
Psychopaths are also able to cope with fear much better than normal people. They’re better in high pressure situations which would be very conducive to being a top level athlete.

diarm

Foster and his wife (then fiance I think) stayed in a resort I was working at years ago and the two of them are among the soundest famous people I've ever met.

I gave them a spin up to their Villa in a club car after dinner one night and they sat in the buggy for almost an hour just chatting to me like we were old friends. They were properly interested in me, my career and how I'd ended up out there, he told me loads about United and his time there.

Just really lovely, genuine, down to earth people. Whenever I'm asked about famous peole who were nice or not nice, they're always the first ones who come to mind.

Sweet Square

Yeah, I thought about Messi but I also think he's just on a different plane to everyone else in terms of talent. I doubt we'd have seen Messi become the GOAT without Cristiano, because he doesn't seem to have those characteristics but is a normally competitive sportsman and wanted to be the best of his generation given his extreme talent.
Yeah I agree with you on this, there was a period of a few years where they were both clearly pushing each other to be better players.

I think you're right that there's a certain level of competitiveness you need to play for the big clubs, I'm pretty sure Foster has said in interviews he didn't like the constant pressure that came with being at United and to contrast Keane talked about how in the end he hated losing more than he enjoyed winning and of course Fergie would celebrate a title win but within a few days he was back to planning for the new season.

Also these guys are completely loaded with cash and have a ton of representatives, to do nice and charitable things isn't that difficult for them tbh.

OleTheGreat

I think Harry Gregg falls into this category, he went back into a crashed burning plane to save many lives. WHAT A MAN! LEGEND!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just seeing this now and that is absolutely incredible from the guy. Superb.

kidbob

Gone on to be a very good keeper has Ben. I remember when he was a big deal here but unfortunately it never worked out. Happy to see he has gone on to have a very good career and he seems like a great guy to boot too. Fair play.

Falcow

Just had a quick read through the messi link above. What are peoples views on someone who earns say 1m per week like messi does donating that amount to charity, I mean clearly fantastic for the charity but if the average punter donated a weeks wages, he would probably miss his car payment that month or might not be able to have a summer holiday.

Whereas Messi's life would never skip a single beat after having donated that 700k to Haiti's reconstruction. So it's not really the same thing is it?

pacifictheme

Just had a quick read through the messi link above. What are peoples views on someone who earns say 1m per week like messi does donating that amount to charity, I mean clearly fantastic for the charity but if the average punter donated a weeks wages, he would probably miss his car payment that month or might not be able to have a summer holiday.

Whereas Messi's life would never skip a single beat after having donated that 700k to Haiti's reconstruction. So it's not really the same thing is it?
Its a nice thing to do, and he doesn't have to do it, but yeah, him donating 1 million is less of a gesture than a regular person giving a week or two's wages purely because they will depend on it far more. Still better than doing nothing which I'm sure loads of footballers do.

FujiVice

I always get confused that he's 36 year old, then remember - wasnt he a chef before he became a footballer?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

I used to "hate" this kind of "show" or PR by these so called "celebrities".

I think some posts in the Caf changed my view on this. So, for whatever reason, any act of kindness has to be applauded. It encourages others, for whatever reason, to do the same.

I also think that the majority of people likes to be applauded/praised by others. Praising people is cheap or free, so why not giving them to others for the greater good.

Marcelinho87

From what I recall Didier Drogba falls into this, supposed to be an absolute brilliant person by all accounts.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

You mentioned Messi further down when I thought Ronaldo would be the optimum example of someone seen as having psychopathic tendancies on a football pitch who turns out to be a great fella off the pitch as noted by those he has worked with. He also does a lot for charities and takes time out to do visits and the like.

Perhaps, superficial charm, which would be part and parcel, but he has been consistent and personable in interviews and the like ever since being at United as a boy. Get the guy on the pitch, however, and he ticks a lot of boxes if not for the more grave, then a least for [extreme] narcissism.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Stories like this feck me off.

Any decent human being should help an elderly person from a ditch and clean them up.