Ben Yedder | Monaco set to activate release clause?

Bestietom

He's a prolific scorer unlike Rashford, but would also take pressure off Martial and Rashford.

Brazillian_tekkers

It's harder to score and create goals at Bournemouth than it is at a good Spanish side. The players are by no means leagues apart. Wilson's problem is staying fit.
People were telling us the same thing with regards to Lukaku scoring for Everton. Also when midtable teams play each other they play a higher line then they do Vs the top 6 teams so I don't see how scoring for Bournemouth is now held in high regard.

Last edited:

sp_107

He will push out Rashy from starting 11.
Ben is not an out and out striker and I dont think he can lead the front line on his own. I see him more of a number 10 than number 9.

So how we can integrate him in our play if we sign someone like Bruno and also we will end up still looking for a proper 9?

izec

He’s going to be 29 when the season starts, I’d prefer Haller to be honest.
The issue with Haller is i suspect Frankfurt wont sell him now. They sold Jovic for 60m, Rebic apparently a fee is agreed for 40m with Atletico. I dont think they will sell Haller as well, that would be their whole front line gone in one summer.

haram

I know nothing of Ben Yedder but I have to ask if he's as good as people are saying why is he at Sevilla? Why has he only got 4 caps for France and didn't he only come on off the bench in the game against us when he scored twice?

I mean I get given Rashford will be first choice next season a replacement for Lukaku doesn't need to be 'top drawer' so from that perspective a player of his stature makes sense but there seems to be a serious amount of hyping of him in this thread?
To be honest I find it puzzling why Muriel started ahead of Ben Yedder. Beyond what I think of Ben Yedder, I think Muriel is crap.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
To be honest I find it puzzling why Muriel started ahead of Ben Yedder. Beyond what I think of Ben Yedder, I think Muriel is crap.
Seem to recall Yedder was in the doghouse for something he did. But yeah Muriel is shit and kept the score respectable with his abysmal finishing.

haram

Seem to recall Yedder was in the doghouse for something he did. But yeah Muriel is shit and kept the score respectable with his abysmal finishing.
The guy is wasteful whenever I see him. Ben Yedder has class about him.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The guy is wasteful whenever I see him. Ben Yedder has class about him.
I'll be honest, I like Ben Yedder but not convinced he's top quality. Think hes a budget option (which is ok, as long as we spend funds elsewhere), but at least he can control a football and pass it around a bit.

haram

I'll be honest, I like Ben Yedder but not convinced he's top quality. Think hes a budget option (which is ok, as long as we spend funds elsewhere), but at least he can control a football and pass it around a bit.
I don't think he is top quality either but I think he will surprise us. Besides, I think he will be happy to share the number 9 position.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Controlling a football and passing seems a good start. Both Rashford and Lukaku aren't consistent enough at basics of forward play for differing reasons. If Ben Yedder can maintain some consistency in linkup play and decision making it can make us a lot better.

diarm

He's a prolific scorer unlike Rashford, but would also take pressure off Martial and Rashford.
I keep reading this or comments like it on here but do people ever stop to think about what age Rashford is?

He's more prolific than Shearer, Cole, Kane, Henry and a whole host of other absolutely world class goalscorers were at his age. The kid is 21 years old and has spent the last few years playing under coaches who couldn't attack their way out of a wet paper bag but still managed to impress and score goals.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I keep reading this or comments like it on here but do people ever stop to think about what age Rashford is?

He's more prolific than Shearer, Cole, Kane, Henry and a whole host of other absolutely world class goalscorers were at his age. The kid is 21 years old and has spent the last few years playing under coaches who couldn't attack their way out of a wet paper bag but still managed to impress and score goals.
The hate Rashford is getting is beyond ridiculous

Cloud7

A few optimistic posts that he would be coming to play right wing... think he would be coming to back up rashford. We would still see plenty of him though.
I think Rashford is gonna be back on the left, and Martial starts the season on the bench. This is based on nothing but guess work mind, but I think if we sign a striker he’ll be playing CF.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think we will be starting him to be the main man anyway.

He will be 2nd fiddle to Rashford and a rotation option. He's been good at coming off the bench and grabbing goals also.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Everyone talking about his age, unless we were to get a top class young striker like Jovic then i think we need to focus on experience in attack now.

Let's not forget we have Rashford and Greenwood coming through. Like i said, unless it was a top quality striker that's young then there is no point blocking their path. We need somebody to help carry the burden for a couple of years. If one of those two explodes this season then even better, Ben Yedder would be rotated.

Cloud7

He doesn’t need to be top quality. Incremental improvement is better than staying still. He isn’t going to be a huge investment, nor a long term one. He’ll be a good addition for the time being, until such a time as someone top class becomes available or Rashford/Greenwood develop.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think buying a more experienced striker, especially a proven goalscorer, is a much better choice for us in attack than anything else. I personally don't feel confident enough in Martial, Rashford, +1 yet to get us enough goals to do more than 'finish 4th' when a lot of fans expect that as a bare minimum with us challenging for trophies or even winning them. I'd even take Aubameyang from Arsenal as I think we need a guy who is gonna give us 2-3 decent years in which they blast over 20 goals in all competitions. I think Ben Yedder and Aubameyang are extremely likely to do that, but I'd wager we get Ben Yedder for close to half the cost, so we'd have £30m~ to spend elsewhere from the Lukaku sale (along with about £35m~ still in the transfer fund without selling anyone else yet, looking at you guys to boost that past £50m Darmian/Rojo). That will probably get us our CB.

My hope is that Martial and Rashford improve their overall game while having less pressure to meet the goal-scoring requirements of a top team's striker right away, but eventually nail down first-team places over whoever we sign as the CF instead of rotating. Greenwood might be a success and be able to come in as a back-up to these guys once our experienced striker signing has 'run their course' of three years or so as well. That's the way I'm looking at it anyway.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I think this would be a very wise move even if we don't sell Lukaku.

The sort of player we were accustomed to under SAF's United teams - honest, hard-worker, genuine quality squad/team player.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

Callum Wilson is a good player who's struggled with injuries, I don't see it as criticism. I rate Ben Yedder even higher
I’ve actually just realised I thought posters were referring to James Wilson as the comparison and not Callum, who is , indeed , a very good player. I got my Wilsons mixed up.

I feel very silly now :(

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
People were telling us the same thing with regards to Lukaku scoring for Everton. Also when midtable teams play each other they play a higher line then they do Vs the top 6 teams so I don't see how scoring for Bournemouth is now held in high regard.
Go and watch mid table Spanish teams' defences and compare with the Prem. I'm not comparing to Italy here, Lukaku would do well in Spain despite his poor touch.

And I'm not judging off huge sample sizes but I'm judging from what I've seen of both players, they're sharp, aggressive finishers with decent pace and touch. Wilson also creates a lot of goals. I think they're both good players as I've said, just a bit different in their styles. To call them leagues apart (other than in the literal sense of course) I think is crazy but just my opinion.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Would much prefer Lukaku over Yedder, there's a reason he's never played at a higher level.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Can't be arsed to go through the pages, what's the story on him? Are we signing him or is it just paper talk?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Can't be arsed to go through the pages, what's the story on him? Are we signing him or is it just paper talk?
We've been linked by a fairly credible source but they're the only ones reporting it, they've just signed another striker too so might be one of those "no smoke without fire" deals.

Tomuś

We've been linked by a fairly credible source but they're the only ones reporting it, they've just signed another striker too so might be one of those "no smoke without fire" deals.
Cheers. Know nothing about the lad sans being furious after he'd knocked us out of Europe.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Controlling a football and passing seems a good start. Both Rashford and Lukaku aren't consistent enough at basics of forward play for differing reasons. If Ben Yedder can maintain some consistency in linkup play and decision making it can make us a lot better.
I look at Ben tedder like I look at Firmino for the dippers, it's more than just goal scoring it's bringing others in to the mix

Tomuś

Very average player. I've watched alot of him over the years. He is not an improvement on what we have. This is a lower table starting player.
Thanks for making me all excited at signing him.

mancan92

Thanks for making me all excited at signing him.
Sorry mate.

I know people want to get excited about a new signing but the guy imo from watching him a long time is average at best. Works hard, is quite quick, has a OK touch, awful passing, can easily get lost in games, can pop up with goals. But nothing better than what we have.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sevilla are a good side, it's not as if they are a no mark club. And yea he was on the bench against us which was surprising, and he then proceeded to come on and score twice to knock us out. As for the France thing there are brilliant players keeping him out the team.

I don't think there is serious hyping him up, I think there is a lot of chat saying that he is a very good player who is experienced and available for a brilliant price. He would certainly add a lot to the squad in my opinion.
I think it was a massive surprise when he started on the bench against us, if I remember rightly. Their boss went with Muriel, who proceeded to miss about 4 sitters, then brought Ben Yedder on for the last 20 and he scored twice. He’s clinical, I’ll give him that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
People who are bogged down on his level/age etc. -- who else do we get? Nobody at the higher level is attainable (or realistic).

Plus, if we still harbour hopes of one of Rashford/Martial leading the line, a striker like this does make a lot of sense.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Would be a decent signing.

It’s eery how he looks so similar to Suarez in terms of finishing and movement.

I’m all for Ben Yedder. Been an admirer of him for a while, just never thought a big club would take a chance on him. Hopefully this is a genuine thing.

AKDevil

people seem to forget all the goals Lukaku scored when we actually passed the ball to him in dangerous areas
I’ve not forgotten all the huge missed chances when he was also passed the ball in dangerous areas and his awful technical ability though.