Benitez's greatest achievement at Liverpool

narnar

Needs Help
Bar the Champions League win, The FA Cup win and a very good contract, what was his greatest moment?

His overall record in Europe was fanstastic, especially in comparison with the domestic league.

He also brought or made three world class players there in his time in Reina, Mascherano and Torres. Torres wasn't exactly unknown, but he wasn't really proven in a big team either and his goal scoring record, in a mediocre team it has to be noted wasn't great. Mascherano wasn't an unknown entity either, having played in an Argentina team which I thought was going to win the World Cup 2006 during it. But his spell at West Ham was a disaster and Benitez took a bit of a gamble in signing him as it looked like things weren't working out for him in English football.

For me though, underlying all his achievements was how he transformed Carragher and Gerrard. Carragher, up until Benitez had came along was more of a utility player. Benitez partnered him in central defence with Hyppia in the 04/05 season and he went on to have the best season of his career, resulting in a trrophy at the end of it. He also carried this form through for another couple of seasons.

Gerrard, who was already a good player seen his game develop. Benitez, whilst playing him in a few different positions seemed to get the best out of him by playing him behind Torres (He was also quite good on the right IIRC).

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I don't think he has particularly helped Gerrard. He was coming into his peak (25) when Benitez arrived. Instead of working on his flaws and making him a world class centre mid he shoved him on the right wing. He is not a right winger by any means. Only in the last couple seasons has he played behind the striker, where he had one impressive season and one good awful one.

If he'd joined United SAF would have turned Gerrard into a proper centre mid.

Sam.G

If he'd joined United SAF would have turned Gerrard into a proper centre mid.
Assuming Gerrard is not a proper 'centre mid', how do you think Ferguson would have turned him into one?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Assuming Gerrard is not a proper 'centre mid', how do you think Ferguson would have turned him into one?
1.) Teach him to play there
2.) Play him there

To be fair at Liverpool his attacking skills were needed to carry the team, so teaching him discipline wasn't such a priority.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
The level of intellect to be expected I guess. I will pick my posters in future.
Harsh. You didn't even wait for my edit! What areas in particular would you like me to expand upon?

If you don't concede that Gerrard lacks positional discipline as well composure and ideas on the ball then there is no point continuing anyway. In answer to your original question, I don't know exactly how. If I knew I'd be a world class coach. I can only point to the improvements made by our best centre mids under SAF (and the staff). The young Gerrard was being compared to Keane. At United he could have gone on to be Keane's successor, with even greater attacking ability. It's all speculation of course.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Bar the Champions League win, The FA Cup win and a very good contract, what was his greatest moment?

His overall record in Europe was fanstastic, especially in comparison with the domestic league.

He also brought or made three world class players there in his time in Reina, Mascherano and Torres. Torres wasn't exactly unknown, but he wasn't really proven in a big team either and his goal scoring record, in a mediocre team it has to be noted wasn't great. Mascherano wasn't an unknown entity either, having played in an Argentina team which I thought was going to win the World Cup 2006 during it. But his spell at West Ham was a disaster and Benitez took a bit of a gamble in signing him as it looked like things weren't working out for him in English football.

For me though, underlying all his achievements was how he transformed Carragher and Gerrard. Carragher, up until Benitez had came along was more of a utility player. Benitez partnered him in central defence with Hyppia in the 04/05 season and he went on to have the best season of his career, resulting in a trrophy at the end of it. He also carried this form through for another couple of seasons.

Gerrard, who was already a good player seen his game develop. Benitez, whilst playing him in a few different positions seemed to get the best out of him by playing him behind Torres (He was also quite good on the right IIRC).
That goattee

Sam.G

Harsh. You didn't even wait for my edit! What areas in particular would you like me to expand upon?

If you don't concede that Gerrard lacks positional discipline as well composure and ideas on the ball then there is no point continuing anyway. In answer to your original question, I don't know exactly how. If I knew I'd be a world class coach. I can only point to the improvements made by our best centre mids under SAF (and the staff). The young Gerrard was being compared to Keane. At United he could have gone on to be Keane's successor, with even greater attacking ability. It's all speculation of course.
Harsh indeed. Apologies, Rowem!

I thought you would be referring to Gerrard and his lack of discipline but if the control freak Rafa couldn't harness him, I am not sure Ferguson would have stood a chance. I know Ferguson is an excellent man manager but he too has failed on occasion to get the best out of world class players. Berbatov and Veron to name a couple. This is not a criticism of the man, just an observation.

Gerrard, for the most part, blossomed under Benitez in my view.

RonaldoVII

His greatest moment was his contract signing last year. It guaranteed either a long stay at the club or them having to pay him to leave.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
I don't agree that Mascherano is world class.

But anyway, Benitez utilised Gerrard very effectively during his time there. He had a good understanding with Torres and if both had been fit for the entirety of this season then I think Liverpool would have made 4th place fairly comfortably.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
Probably the fact that he managed to keep his shirt tucked in during that amazing dancing he was doing on stage the other week. When you've got a belly like that, you need a shirt like a fecking butler to stop it becoming untucked everytime you lift your arms.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
The fact that there are still fans who believe that he was made the scapegoat for the owners failure to provide the club with enough money to compete for the title.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The Fahcts conference was utterly brilliant and ensured the Anfield fans would completely back him for standing up to Evil Lord Ferguson.

Sam.G

That list resembled something along the lines which you would expect to read on RAWK! :lol:
Most pundits agreed with most of his list, it was the timing they couldn't fathom. Or possibly the reason why he needed to say it at all.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Most pundits agreed with most of his list, it was the timing they couldn't fathom. Or possibly the reason why he needed to say it at all.
There were quite a few however who actually analysed each point on the list and found that each was fachtually wrong. The only ones that supported it were either Liverpool supporting hacks or anti-United ones.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
In my opinion he managed some good victories through tactical nous despite having an inferior team, especially in Europe. It was his poor transfer dealings and stubborn personality that let him down.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
leading a mediocre liverpool team to a drubbing of United at old trafford had to be one of his best moments

I think so anyway

204Red

Other than the CL win and the runner-up spot in 07 (and god knows how those happened) Rafa's time at Anfield has to be looked at as a grand failure.

I'm sorry, but the league was his to lose in 08/09... and he did. A series of poor results following that ill-timed rant against Fergie will go down as a lasting memory. Rafa in this regard will walk the same path as Big Ron Atkinson... close, but no cigar. Spent lots of money in the process, but failed to deliver the holy grail when it was within his grasp.

Even Big Ron didn't get a 6million payout to walk away

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
His greatest achievement? probably mindfecking the fans into believing he was some sort of messiah sent from the heavens to stop the nasty anti Christ sir alex ferguson from continuing to cast their club into wilderness....and even after failing miserably at doing any such thing still manipulating them into thinking none of it was his fault by mumbling 'youll never walk alone' a few times and writing the word fachts on a piece of paper.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think his discovery of the FACHTS were his greatest achievement. Generations of mankind for centuries to come will benefit from what we learnt from his FACHTS.

Devilton

Clearing the tables on his way out, and getting a 6 million pound tip for doing so...

Alex

His greatest achievement? probably mindfecking the fans into believing he was some sort of messiah sent from the heavens to stop the nasty anti Christ sir alex ferguson from continuing to cast their club into wilderness....and even after failing miserably at doing any such thing still manipulating them into thinking none of it was his fault by mumbling 'youll never walk alone' a few times and writing the word fachts on a piece of paper.
I agree with this

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
his greatest achievment is to get fired via a massive pay off and walk ass backwards into a team like Inter Milan.
Clearing the tables on his way out, and getting a 6 million pound tip for doing so...
All correct, and all personal achievements and nothing for the team.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
There were quite a few however who actually analysed each point on the list and found that each was fachtually wrong. The only ones that supported it were either Liverpool supporting hacks or anti-United ones.
I think you misread what I wrote. See x42's link (I was too lazy to look it up) as the confirmation of my complete seriousness.

Москва2008

Under investigation...no more points for now
It's hard to speak objectively of lasting achievement after such a bad season. If Reina and Torres have long successful Liverpool careers then it'll be buying them. I regard Mascherano as decent but not outstanding.

Finishing top four for 4/6 seasons is a decent return.

In my opinion the cups he won were thanks to two Gerrard rescue acts, a forced substitution in Istanbul (Hamman for Kewell) and good fortune from the penalty shootouts. Being runner up in CL 2007 and PL 2009 were arguably more impressive achievements but he can't complain about his luck.