Benjamin Netanyahu Corruption Charges

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Could be interesting.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Thanks mate. I should have started a new thread instead of posting it in the M.E. one.

I hope he goes away for a very long time. He's responsible for the pain, misery and suffering of countless people. It's no surprise he's corrupt too. Ugh, He's abhorrent.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Recommendations from the police do not carry any legal authority in this context. Everyone knew this was coming down the pipe; it’s nothing new.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Watched a documentary a Frontline documentary some time ago about Netanyahu. Pretty telling. Let's just say that it's easy to overlook how many coincidences of events favoring him and his gang have occurred. You d almost think he *gasp* is behind a lot of it. Almost. /s

Amir

He's corrupt, in other cases as well that have not been investigated or haven't been investigated fully yet, but guess what - he's also personally hand picked the government's legal counselor who is to decide whether he'll actually be indicted. It will take a bazillion years and in the end nothing will happen. The man has already caused grave damages to the democratic system here. He can't utter a word of truth.

Amir

It's so obvious why he and Trump get along so well. Despicable toads the pair of them.
Too true, very similar. One different: Trump is also an idiot. Netanyahu is far smarter.

Netanyahu's downfall, if it does happen, is for two reasons. He's not the sort of person to take millions of dollars into his pocket. But he likes the good life and he's a cheap bastard - so he received 'gifts' that cost hundreds of thousands.

The second thing is, he'll do anything to remain in power, which is why he's become heavily involved in the media world in order to weaken anyone who dares criticize him and empower the media that works for him, really. Including one paper created and financially sustained by Sheldon Adelson (that Trump connection again) who always spins things in favour of Netanyahu.

Since the paper is distributed for free, it's become a sort of national brainwashing. And Neyanyahu tonight admitted he dissolved the government in favour of elections in 2015 because members of the govenment tried to pass a law and would put restriction on that newspaper.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Given how close the last election was, I would think this would fuel the opposition for the next round.

Amir

Given how close the last election was, I would think this would fuel the opposition for the next round.
It wasn't that close when it came to the results. Also, the party that came second has since weakened. With god knows how many Israelis being, well, absolute idiots, I'm pretty sure Netanyahu would walk into another victory if elections would be called tomorrow.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It wasn't that close when it came to the results. Also, the party that came second has since weakened. With god knows how many Israelis being, well, absolute idiots, I'm pretty sure Netanyahu would walk into another victory if elections would be called tomorrow.
Depressing stuff. Are there no candidates or parties on the horizon that could mount a challenge ?

Amir

Depressing stuff. Are there no candidates or parties on the horizon that could mount a challenge ?
Here's the funny part: The closest party in the polls is led by a man who is apparently a key witness in one of the cases against Netanyahu, a man who served as minister of treasury between 2013 and 2015 and was sacked by Netanyahu. :lol:

Still, since anyone wishing to be PM needs to create a coalition after the elections, Netanyahu has a huge advantage. Partly because he's willing to give his 'natural allies' - such as the religious parties - whatever they want in terms of money and at times new laws. A couple of those were passed recently, potentially restricting trade on Saturday for instance.

Amir

Frankly, I don't even know. These things take time and assumptions are there won't be a decision till early 2019. At best.

Part of the problem is the attorney general here performs a double role as legal consultant to the government as well. He and Netanyahu met dozens of times in the last few months. Some believe he'll delay things until the next elections (currently planned for late 2019) which will allow Netanyahu to be elected again, which will supposedly give him some power as 'this is what the people want'. Or whatever.

Other ministers and parliament members also have legal issues. So do mayors of various cities. I've no reason to trust the attorney general. This country is corrupt as hell.

Dante

Average bang
I'm surprised he went for the 'not guilty' defence, rather than the 'it was all Iran' defence. Missed opportunity for him.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
From the "There's a tweet for everything" category:

"A prime minister who is sunk up to his neck in interrogations – he has no moral and public mandate to determine fateful issues for the State of Israel...There is a concern—I have to say real and not unfounded—that [such a prime minister] will make decisions based on the personal interest of his political survival and not on the basis of national interest...The right thing to do is for this government to go home, to return its mandate to the voter."

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/pol...-ruling-on-police-recommendations/2018/02/13/

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Bibi is a master survivor, you'd back him to get through this crisis as he's gotten through so many previously.

Amir

From the "There's a tweet for everything" category:

"A prime minister who is sunk up to his neck in interrogations – he has no moral and public mandate to determine fateful issues for the State of Israel...There is a concern—I have to say real and not unfounded—that [such a prime minister] will make decisions based on the personal interest of his political survival and not on the basis of national interest...The right thing to do is for this government to go home, to return its mandate to the voter."

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/pol...-ruling-on-police-recommendations/2018/02/13/
Much mentioned here over the last year or so. Doesn't matter. Netanyahu and his merry brigade don't have a problem contradicting themselves. Always say what is good for you at that certain moment and to hell with the rest.

Amir

Netanyahu now uses his facebook page mostly for posts defending himself, blaming the media for trying to bring him down or spread stuff written by right-wing journalists willing to defend him for anything.

This latest affair may be the biggest of them all. After the 2015 elections he decided to also hold the position of minister of communications, getting his coalition partners to sign an agreement that forces them to support anything he wants to do involving the media, etc. On his first day, he sacked the minitry's CEO, who alongside the previous minister worked on reforms and changes meant to weaken the power of Israel's strongest telecommunications company, Bezeq, and lower prices of phone iines and internet. Instead he appointed as CEO a close ally of himself. Since day one, that new CEO worked in close contact with Bezeq, derailing planned reforms and made allownces that were worth hunders of millions of Shekels to the company and especially its owner, Shaul Alovich. Who is, ahem, a close friend of Netanyahu - something Netanyahu neglected to mention in 2015 when he was asked to reveal - a common thing - any possible conflicts of interests.

So, Netanyahu's office made tons of allowences for Alovich. What did Netanyahu get in return? Another one of Alovich's holdings is one of Israel's major news websites, called Walla. And for a long time around 2015 and 2016, Walla covered Netanyahu (and his wife) in a very, very positive way. Downright sucking up to them. Because Alovich forced Walla's CEO to do so. Some of this was already revealed a couple of years back in an article in Haaretz.

Since then, Netanyahu was forced to leave the office of communications, but his CEO remained in his place, continuing to help Bezeq. In the last few months a lot of this was revealed in an investigation by the Israeli Securities Autority, which has already recommended indictments. Alovich and the CEO were amongst those involved, Netanyahu was not. Now an investigation was started by the police, involving the same names - and now it will include Netanyahu as well. It would take an idiot not to see his involvement. If indeed that CEO (Filber), who has been working with Netanyahu for a long time, will start to talk, and I guess he will now that he's turned state's witness, that could well be it.

It may seem nuts that Netanyahu will spend so much time - and risk so much - just for a website to write good stuff about him, but Netanyahu has been power-crazy for years now and sees the media as a means to get it. One of the affairs the police has already recommended he'd be indicted on involves him trying to make a deal with the owner of a major newspaper for similar treatment.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Netanyahu going on the offensive - thread/