Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
And there it is:

2cents

Scout

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
The guy's been poison to the region and in some ways the world. Wonder if there is ever a chance they re going to look into what happened with Rabin, now that the knives appear to be out.

Revan

Assumptionman
He'll torch the country before he goes.
Won't 'Blue and White' win the snap elections (considering that they tied Bibi last time around, and now he should be less popular after these new accusations)?

Amir

Won't 'Blue and White' win the snap elections (considering that they tied Bibi last time around, and now he should be less popular after these new accusations)?
Looking at polls, they may get a few more votes or a few less, but you still need to form a coalition and Bibi's got a stronger base. Plus, he'll stop at nothing. He's fighting for his freedom here.

Javi

This looks of course really bad but I‘d be surprised to learn that corruption isn‘t quid pro quo in Israel so you couldn‘t make a legal case with that.

2cents

Scout
This looks of course really bad but I‘d be surprised to learn that corruption isn‘t quid pro quo in Israel so you couldn‘t make a legal case with that.
His predecessor spent time in prison on corruption charges. Not sure how they compare to what Netanyahu faces in terms of seriousness but the precedent is there.

Amir

His latest spin: Trying to pass a law that will allow people in charge of polling stations to photograph everything that is going on there. A week before the elections.

In the earlier elections this year the Likud send its people to polling stations in order to film, but only in arab cities. And then they proudly announced they managed to lower the numbers of people in the arab community who came to vote. The voting committee in charge blocked them this time, so they are claiming the law is supposed to prevent counterfeiting that happened in the previous 2019 elections in the arab voting stations. In fact, There's very little evidence of that happening. And the little evidence that exists - is connected to counterfeting that gave extra voted to the Likud.

Lying bastard.

Amir

Well, the cameras thing fell through. His Iran announcement yesterday didn't interest anyone, so he's moving on.

Amir

Why not? Isn't this a step in the right direction?
The law in Israel doesn't force a PM to resign until he's convicted. And that's still far, far away.

The fact he's been indicted won't change anything for his party or the parties supporting him.

2cents

Scout

Amir

... And then he went on to attack the police investigators, the general attorney and the people working for him.

He's not going anywhere anytime soon. And we're heading now for a third elections in 11 months.

2cents

Scout

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Shows what strange times we live when I am not totally sure this will bring him down.

Amir

Let's see if Israel actually has a functioning system of accountability I guess. Has he gone full Trump yet?
Not FULL Trump, but close to it, blaming the police and people in the general attorney office for trying to oust him.

As for a functioning system of accountability - we currently have a minister for interior affairs who spent years in prison for corruption conducted while he was... minister for interior affairs. Yes, he came back. And it looks like he'll be indicted AGAIN soon. Several other members of the coalition parties, Likud especially, are under indictment or soon to be. So right now you have a bunch of corrupt people joining forces in an attempt to keep themselves out of jail.

Kaos

Let's see if Israel actually has a functioning system of accountability I guess. Has he gone full Trump yet?
I'm definitely no fan of Israel, but one thing they don't feck about with is corruption. They've jailed senior former ministers in the past. I think we've all just grown cynical watching the Republicans in the US make a mockery of the justice system.

2cents

Scout
Gideon Sa’ar has long been touted as Netanyahu’s most likely successor as Likud leader:

Amir

I'm definitely no fan of Israel, but one thing they don't feck about with is corruption. They've jailed senior former ministers in the past. I think we've all just grown cynical watching the Republicans in the US make a mockery of the justice system.
Our legal system doesn't feck about with corruption. A former PM and former president were also jailed. Problem is the 10 years of Netanyahu's regime allowed him much power within his group of followers in the right-wing parties and voters. He probably won't have the power to somehow get out of it without a trial, but with the political situation right now - he can delay a decision for years and years.

Amir

Looking at Sa’ar, this could be one of those “careful what you wish for” moments.
He really is. Having said that, anything and anyone that would help release the system from Netanyahu will be a blessing, in hope he doesn't last too long.

2cents

Scout

Also saw reports that some of the Likud heavy-hitters basically made the “I’d love to attend but I’m washing my hair tonight” excuse.

Amir

Also saw reports that some of the Likud heavy-hitters basically made the “I’d love to attend but I’m washing my hair tonight” excuse.
And yet, almost none of them are doing anything more. Many would love to see the back of Netanyahu, but hope it just happens without their involvement.

Unfortunately, without a mass of those people taking action, it might not happen for a very long time.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Netanyahu's reasoning for immunity from prosecution:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Even politicians in developed countries are losing shame.
If you face charges, you resign. No ifs or buts. Can't believe his party hasn't forced him out.

Drifter

American
Be great to see him go down,but what follows him will be no different regarding policy.