Benjamin Pavard

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Pavard, Todibo or Tapsoba. We can’t really go wrong on this. I would welcome every single one of them.

Pavard is probably the best alternative, all things considered.

doomy20

Would be brilliant in our system and can be the inverted RB that most of the top teams are using these days. A back 5 of Onana, Shaw, Martinez, Varane and Pavard sounds brilliant! Make it happen.
This. I do rate AWB as RB as well but Pavard would be a level above. He prefers CB though

Dominos

Varane should still start when he's fit, and it would be a bit weird for us to be in a position where we've kept both AWB and Dalot only to have them both sat on the bench.

If the eventuality is Pavard at right back 70% of the time and centre back 30% of the time when Varane is injured/rested, it leaves us with 2 right backs sat doing nothing for the majority of the season.

Now, I don't think either AWB/Dalot are good enough so I'd love to see an upgrade brought in, but with Pavard apparently not wanting to play RB, and fact Varane should still be starting when he's fit, it's definitely a somewhat awkward signing.

croadyman

Varane should still start when he's fit, and it would be a bit weird for us to be in a position where we've kept both AWB and Dalot only to have them both sat on the bench.

If the eventuality is Pavard at right back 70% of the time and centre back 30% of the time when Varane is injured/rested, it leaves us with 2 right backs sat doing nothing for the majority of the season.

Now, I don't think either AWB/Dalot or good enough so I'd love to see an upgrade brought in, but with Pavard apparently not wanting to play RB, and fact Varane should still be starting when he's fit, it's definitely a somewhat awkward signing.
Yeah you do make a valid point on that

December_16

Now, I don't think either AWB/Dalot or good enough so I'd love to see an upgrade brought in, but with Pavard apparently not wanting to play RB, and fact Varane should still be starting when he's fit, it's definitely a somewhat awkward signing.
Depth and competition is always good. Maybe Parvard won’t play 70% of all games at RB. Maybe we can sell AWB or loan out Dalot. Who knows.

Dominos

Depth and competition is always good. Maybe Parvard won’t play 70% of all games at RB. Maybe we can sell AWB or loan out Dalot. Who knows.
Where do you propose he will play then, do you think ETH is ready to make Varane a back-up?

Having a player sulking because he's playing full back when he wants to play centre back isn't always good.

It's likely a bit late to suddenly move on AWB/Dalot this summer given there's been no indication of it at all so far. But let's say we did move on one of AWB/Dalot alongside Maguire, we're down to 7 first team defenders instead of 8, so we'd have weakened our depth. Having players who can cover more than 1 position shouldn't be reason to weaken our depth in terms of pure numbers, 2 players per position is completely standard and it's even more important we maintain our depth of numbers in defence with Varane's injury problems.

dutchred

We need cover for Varane but I'd prefer someone younger. Pavard is not going to come to sit on the bench. Cover for Casemiro is a higher priority

December_16

Where do you propose he will play then, do you think ETH is ready to make Varane a back-up?

Having a player sulking because he's playing full back when he wants to play centre back isn't always good.

It's likely a bit late to suddenly move on AWB/Dalot this summer given there's been no indication of it at all so far. But let's say we did move on one of AWB/Dalot alongside Maguire, we're down to 7 first team defenders instead of 8, so we'd have weakened our depth. Having players who can cover more than 1 position shouldn't be reason to weaken our depth in terms of pure numbers, 2 players per position is completely standard and it's even more important we maintain our depth of numbers in defence with Varane's injury problems.
If we wants to sign him and he wants to join, then there must be a plan and he’s good with said plan. He will know that he is a rotation/backup option to Varane at CB and either top choice or rotation option for RB. If it’s not clear upfront and he sulks midway through the season, then what are we even doing right now? Anyway, I think he should know it’s a squad game these days, and he will have plenty of choices to play wherever he wishes if he’s that good. Varane is not undisplaceable, no one really is.

El Jefe

I was all in on Todibo just because he could carry the ball from deep and had pace that's something lacking at CB for us.

Not mad at Pavard though. Another experienced player and versatile too.

OverratedOpinion

By the way all this stuff about him not wanting to play right back is there any substance to this and is there anything suggesting this is actually a huge issue?

I looked online and found one article by a french Journalist from a year ago and that's it.

I also saw a quote where he said centre back is his more natural position but nothing negative about playing right back. Rashford would say wide left is his natural position but has never taken issue with playing up front.

Real Name

So it's either him or Todibo?
This transfer window is shaping to be a truly great one.

croadyman

I just wonder if Todibo was a target because Erik never thought Pavard could be available. This was an idea being floated by Goldbridge on his evening show. I usually wouldn't put any stock on things he says but might have a point here.

Andy_Cole

I’m guessing Pavard is the only one top tier with the other two high potential. I’d take a Pavard 100% as a RB/ CB option. Mainly RB. Instantly upgrade that to a world class player.

KanieKaned

Would easily cement himself in the RB position. Could offer useful cover for CB when Varane is rested. A gifted, experienced and versatile player. Also scored a better at the Aviva stadium.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Honestly will not quite believe how different our squad will look if we bring in Pavard and Amrabaat after shifting out a load of players too. Could be one of our best windows in decades.

windycityfan

Honestly will not quite believe how different our squad will look if we bring in Pavard and Amrabaat after shifting out a load of players too. Could be one of our best windows in decades.
Indeed, too good to be true. At last competent professionals have taken over. Better yet, they’re quickly changing the perception around how we handle player transactions.

big_jeffstar

I just wonder if Todibo was a target because Erik never thought Pavard could be available. This was an idea being floated by Goldbridge on his evening show. I usually wouldn't put any stock on things he says but might have a point here.
More importantly… It’s goldbridge, why are you even watching?

Scholsey2004

Would easily cement himself in the RB position. Could offer useful cover for CB when Varane is rested. A gifted, experienced and versatile player. Also scored a better at the Aviva stadium.
Allows us to comfortably move to a back 3 without major changes to the playing staff as well. I can see a back 3 of Martinez, Varane and Pavard working quite nicely.

Zed 101

Given how comfortable he is on the ball and his capacity for passing any chance he is also cover for Casemiro? has he ever been used in DM?

MetoTTT

Allows us to comfortably move to a back 3 without major changes to the playing staff as well. I can see a back 3 of Martinez, Varane and Pavard working quite nicely.
You're maybe right but what to do with so many wingers in our team?

KanieKaned

Likewise if you switch to the right Pavard himself can move into the inverted fullback role helping to overload the midfield and Shaw then drops back to keep the shape of a three. A very versatile addition who I also mentioned previously can score a belter unlike the current RBs.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d prefer a younger option if at all possible. I’m wary of taking unwanted Bayern/Real players who want another big payday even though Casemiro and Varane have been amongst our most important players, Casemiro especially. I just want more players to peak at this club. Saying that Im not against this signing at all as along with the other two he definitely does look very useful and has miles left the on the clock to give us if the desire and talent is there. He’s an obvious and instant upgrade on Maguire for 1/3 of the price.

Loon

:lol:
I’d prefer a younger option if at all possible. I’m wary of taking unwanted Bayern/Real players who want another big payday even though Casemiro and Varane have been amongst our most important players, Casemiro especially. I just want more players to peak at this club. Saying that Im not against this signing at all as along with the other two he definitely does look very useful and has miles left the on the clock to give us if the desire and talent is there. He’s an obvious and instant upgrade on Maguire.
I thought, like Casemiro, Bayern wanted the player to stay, but he wishes to go?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So Bayern has Pavard but still get KMJ.

Is Pavard on much lower level than KMJ as CB, since the former can also covers for RB as an advantage?

croadyman

I’d prefer a younger option if at all possible. I’m wary of taking unwanted Bayern/Real players who want another big payday even though Casemiro and Varane have been amongst our most important players, Casemiro especially. I just want more players to peak at this club. Saying that Im not against this signing at all as along with the other two he definitely does look very useful and has miles left the on the clock to give us if the desire and talent is there. He’s an obvious and instant upgrade on Maguire for 1/3 of the price.
I completely get what you saying and can see the merits of signing either this guy or Todibo

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So is this guy going to be a more experienced and proven version of Timber?

Never watched him much.

croadyman

So Bayern has Pavard but still get KMJ.

Is Pavard on much lower level than KMJ as CB, since the former can also covers for RB as an advantage?
He is more of that pure CB whereas Pavard is a guy who can play the position effectively but also offer slot in at RB too

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He is more of that pure CB whereas Pavard is a guy who can play the position effectively but also offer slot in at RB too
Yeah. It only supports the notion that Pavard is much worse CB than KMJ, yes? At least in Bayern's eyes.

If their level is pretty close, why wouldn't Bayern just have Pavard that can cover RB also?

croadyman

Yeah. It only supports the notion that Pavard is much worse CB than KMJ, yes? At least in Bayern's eyes.

If their level is pretty close, why wouldn't Bayern just have Pavard that can cover RB also?
Maybe because they wanted someone who is a pure CB whereas perhaps Erik isn't looking for that at the moment. I could be completely wrong but feel he wants to wait for more options on Varane's successor now that KMJ is off the table

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I thought, like Casemiro, Bayern wanted the player to stay, but he wishes to go?
It seems he’s not signing a new deal because he wants to play CB? Is he going to displace Varane? I guess it’s much stiffer competition either way which can only be a good thing as long as he’s happy to scrap it out here! It’s cheap for a player at this age with a CV like this too. It’s a good signing. I find also for it to be a sign at how strong Bayern currently are at CB when he either can’t get in enough to be happy to sign a new deal or else the money Bayern was offering is low compared to what he can get here and his head has been turned. Bayern could absolutely pay as much as us or not make the Kim signing if they thought keeping the player was a priority.

Casemiro and Varane I thought just got offered a load more money and for longer here than Madrid were prepared to match. They left with Madrid and their fans best wishes for a new challenge and their best contracts ever after winning everything repeatedly and arguably on the way down physically. They still challenge without them. It seems like a special circumstance anyway as they are both still great players but with how long left?

Anyway this is a good experienced player at a solid age and I’m happy for us to get him if the manager and recruitment team want him. It’s just at the same time not a super imaginative or exciting transfer. He’s not going to come here and become the best central defender or RB in the world like a younger player might. he’ll be on big wages but at that price he’s not risky and versatile pickup that raises the quality of competition and level of big game experience in the squad.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe because they wanted someone who is a pure CB whereas perhaps Erik isn't looking for that at the moment. Quite honestly we should get both if it was possible because him and Todibo offer different things to this team
I like Pavard if he doesn't mind playing 50:50 as RB and CB because he's a very good RB. As things stand, he wants to move out because he can't stand playing RB. But perhaps this is just rumor.

I don't know much about how good he's as CB but surely he's worse than KMJ there. But then for the price, and his age and experience, there are a lot to like.

Last edited:

croadyman

I like Pavard if he doesn't mind playing 50:50 as RB and CB because he's a very good RB. As things stand, he wants to move out because he can't stand playing RB. But perhaps this is just rumor.

I don't know much about how good he's as CB but surely he's worse than KMJ there. But then for the price, and his age and experience, there are a lot to like.
My advice to anyone is don't compare him to KMJ because they are very different. OK this is how I think his plans for this may have gone.

January - Enquires about Pavard but doesn't think they will sell,switches focus to signing a pure CB in the summer such as KMJ or Todibo

July - Really wants to sign KMJ but unable to sell Maguire in time,gets word that Pavard is open to move so switches to more of a defender who is flexible instead

Last edited: