Benjamin Pavard

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
For a starters, he is a better RB than both Dalot & Wan Bissaka, and a better CB than both Maguire & Lindelhof
Pavard may have versatility, but that doesn't mean he will be a bench warmer, far from it in my opinion.

CG1010

What type of RB is he? Especially compared to the ones we already have. Of course being one of the better players in Bayern Munich speaks volumes but I was wondering about his strengths, style of play etc, and if he will fit into what United are trying to do.

waza7111

What type of RB is he? Especially compared to the ones we already have. Of course being one of the better players in Bayern Munich speaks volumes but I was wondering about his strengths, style of play etc, and if he will fit into what United are trying to do.
Based on watching him the other day-

He keeps the ball very well and rarely gives it way. He's a very good defender and often covers for the centre back if they are dragged out of position. His range of passing is quite good and certainly better than what we currently have.

He won't be a very attacking right back and doesn't make overlapping runs.

CG1010

He keeps the ball very well and rarely gives it way. He's a very good defender and often covers for the centre back if they are dragged out of position. His range of passing is quite good and certainly better than what we currently have.

Thank you. Wonder how he is at inside runs though? Dalot and AWB have been making them in pre-season, playing almost like an extra midfielder linking defense to attack. One thing to know would be if he is good at carrying the ball because usually Shaw does that for us on the opposite side.

waza7111

Thank you. Wonder how he is at inside runs though? Dalot and AWB have been making them in pre-season, playing almost like an extra midfielder linking defense to attack. One thing to know would be if he is good at carrying the ball because usually Shaw does that for us on the opposite side.
I didn't see him make any inside runs or act as a midfielder so maybe that could be coached into him. He didn't carry the ball forward either but his passing both short and long range is very good so maybe he doesn't need to.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He definitely is more a passer than a carrier or runner. Which is why he perfectly fits into Bayern's team - he usually positions so that he can cover for their adventurous midfielders/wingers.

If you look at both teams, at Bayern the CMs do similar runs as Dalot/AWB, so Pavard is exactly the player who usually doesn't do that and probably isn't great at, although he has a quite decent distance shot in him.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I didn't see him make any inside runs or act as a midfielder so maybe that could be coached into him. He didn't carry the ball forward either but his passing both short and long range is very good so maybe he doesn't need to.
He does make inside runs and he is pretty good at them, that's why he finds himself in very good shooting positions. His movement around the box is strangely good, the thing that he can't do is carry the ball very well.

jesperjaap

He is top 3-5% percentile for defenders in almost every passing metrics available, so no idea why are you doubting his progressive ball playing skills. His pass completion, pass attempts, progressive passes, passes into final third, passes received, touches per game etc are all in the top 1% percentile, for both full backs and center backs.

The fact that you refer him as a versatile steady eddy that has doubtful ball playing skills or football intelligence showed that you have never watched Pavard played.
Maybe the fact you are one of these people just quoting a load of stats suggest you havent actually "watched Pavard played" whatever that means. I didnt say he has doubful ball playing skills, I said he usually plays it safe, quite different.

croadyman

Those who say Pavard only offers versatility and doesn't raise our ceiling... One of our biggest problems last season was that our floor dropped significantly when key first teamers were out. Pavard can pretty much guarantee we can put out a quality back 4 unless we're really unlucky with injuries. And he'll only be £30-40m. Looks sensible to me.

I do think we need at least one young prospect at centre back to develop into the team, but this would buy a little time and flexibility.
Yeah we definitely need that young prospect at CB too and hopefully this buys Erik that time to look at more options

Highfather_24

---------------------Onana
Pavard--Varane--Martinez--Shaw
-------------------Casemiro
-----------Bruno-----------Mount
Antony---------Hojlund-------Rashford

I'd be happy with this as our first XI this season.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I will be worried IF Erik sees him as Varane successor,surely that's not the case as different profiles of CB. We definitely still need someone in Rapha mould but whether we get one is debatable
There is no suggestion we are looking for a successor to Varane.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Far too much. 30-35m is the absolute max we should be going for. It's not a priority position and there are alternatives. We'll probably move on if Bayern are't playing ball.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Whatever decision of the club is, just make the decision on time, and provide your manager a proper reinforcements for both PL and CL.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Based on tactics, our right-backs have had to make a lot of underlapping runs. There have been times when they have basically been CMs in possession.

croadyman

Far too much. 30-35m is the absolute max we should be going for. It's not a priority position and there are alternatives. We'll probably move on if Bayern are't playing ball.
Yeah and as much as I'm a big fan of the guy that would be the correct decision

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Based on tactics, our right-backs have had to make a lot of underlapping runs. There have been times when they have basically been CMs in possession.
Exactly, he would be fantastic in this position.

Telsim

€50M for a player nearing the end of his contract and who wants to leave.

Rather Todibo in this case.

croadyman

€50M for a player nearing the end of his contract and who wants to leave.

Rather Todibo in this case.
Blatant negotiating tactic from Bayern,he is pushing for the move just like our other signings

qzizzle

Supports
Bayern Munich
Why would we sell him to you guys for 25M Pounds? You want more money for lesser players like Maguire/McTominay

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Could we potentially sign Todibo then Pavard on a free and maybe sell Lindelof next summer?

Is that too perfect and unrealistic in terms of playing time for both guys, especially if Pavard doesn’t want to play RB.

croadyman

Could we potentially sign Todibo then Pavard on a free and maybe sell Lindelof next summer?

Is that too perfect and unrealistic in terms of playing time for both guys, especially if Pavard doesn’t want to play RB.
Still think if he's the top target just like Onana,Mount & Hojlund we meet in the middle

Plastic Evra

30m€ would be a good deal. 50...not as much.

I fully expect Amrabat -if it happens- will not be as cheap as reported initially.

AneRu

I will be worried IF Erik sees him as Varane successor,surely that's not the case as different profiles of CB. We definitely still need someone in Rapha mould but whether we get one is debatable
That's why I'd have liked Todibo because Pavard isn't the profile to replace Varane or even topple him. He will play RB and that's fine but what do we do with the two RBs we already have so late in the window and even if we did get a buyer for say Dalot is there still enough time to identify and sign a new addition to the squad who meets what we need when Varane is out? We surely don't want our back line to one paced whilst playing a high line!

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
People tend to overrate him imo, especially if they believe he wants to play RB. He needs to be super cheap for it to make sense for us, otherwise we rather get Todibo who has so much more potential

croadyman

People tend to overrate him imo, especially if they believe he wants to play RB. He needs to be super cheap for it to make sense for us, otherwise we rather get Todibo who has so much more potential
Define super cheap

AneRu

Get Todibo and sign him on a free next summer, simple. We can't let Munich bully us on this one, we have options and let's exercise them. €50m is madness.

croadyman

Get Todibo and sign him on a free next summer, simple. We can't let Munich bully us on this one, we have options and let's exercise them. €50m is madness.
Don't see us coming back next summer,as Elvis once famously said it's now or never

AneRu

Don't see us coming back next summer,as Elvis once famously said it's now or never
Next summer on a free and possibly having sold Dalot that would help. The remaining priorities are DM and a Maguire replacement. We shouldnt lose sight of that otherwise this season is going to be a long one if something happens to Casemiro.

johnnyteutonic

I am not much impressed by this stat as it seems not to be a clear picture. The green stats are skewed as he scored a few last season. He played both CB and RB, hence the comparison is misleading unless the stats are compared only for his Cb stat vs Cbs and RB stat vs RBs.

I don’t know about the player. Just trying to watch/read as United is interested.
It seems there are few red flags especially his lack of pace, not contributing in attack as RB, Aerial weakness as a CB. It seems to be like weaker Lindelof or little improved Dalot. By the looks of it, it is better to go for a younger player like Todibo for CB or a similar player to Malo Gusto for RB rather than jack of all trades.

Unless one RB is going to be sold, buying him makes not much sense as we won’t be using him much in CB if he is not good enough to play as RCB with Martinez due to lack of aerial ability/physical presence.
Antony having no ability on right foot and not using the wide areas, the RB who could overlap would be the ideal player, otherwise our attack is too one dimensional. I don’t see Pavard is going to help in that as well.
Indeed, the analysis does mention that the stats will be skewed by playing in multiple positions.
You can however use fbref for earlier seasons in which he played exclusively in one position:

https://fbref.com/en/players/45a03961/scout/10737/Benjamin-Pavard-Scouting-Report

Fbref doesn't have a way of filtering for only stats that a player accumulated for a specific position during which they played multiple positions in the same season.