Benjamin Sesko | Despite Raees best efforts he’s joining Liepzig. Damn you Raees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

Every transfer story just seems like the biggest ballache. I really miss the days where you just got up Ceefax and saw we’d signed someone rather than all these ridiculous babbling Tweets that try to make a story out of nothing and cover all bases.
Ceefax was king!

The biggest problem we have is the name Utd. We more than any other club have the most false reports linking us to players just to generate clicks and interest. It’s frustrating for Utd fans because it just leads to a tabloid shit storm.

Edwards6

Which is still fine. Pay up another 10-15 and get a proven striker like Toney. This 40m is a waste of money this year just like we spent 37 on Amad.
Wasn't Amad about £18m plus add ons? If we end up paying £37m then he's been a success here

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree the price we would have to pay for him would be excessive but there are a number of factors that have to be considered when it comes to a transfer. One of the biggest factors is supply in the market. Right now there is a major shortage of top class strikers. The demand massively outweighs the supply. We’ve seen that with the Nunez fee for Liverpool.

We’ve got clubs like Chelsea who are at the top level and don’t have any out n out striker who can walk into the team.

The likes of Bayern, Utd, Chelsea are looking round Europe in search of someone that can meet that demand. It’s not easy to find players who will be a “bargain” for a striker.
Yeah, the alternatives that I have in mind and could be around 50m€ are the likes of Icardi, Ben Yedder, Zapata, Gerard Moreno or Immobile. There is a fair chance that most of them don't want to join United bcause they are either settled in their current clubs or in their current countries.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You’ve literally answered the question. The elite market isn’t available. So us trying to sign Sesko is a compromise right?
No, that's where I disagree. Sesko isn't a compromise. He is a kid who has huge potential. He won't help us for atleast couple of years.

Chief123

No, that's where I disagree. Sesko isn't a compromise. He is a kid who has huge potential. He won't help us for atleast couple of years.
Well if you disagree then we go back to your original point. You said for the same price, we should sign a proven goal scorer. Who can we get for £40m?

arthurka

He will become an option for us, Ronaldo isn´t getting any younger and this kid will get minutes in the EL, Cups and sub in the league. Hope we get him over the line.

Chief123

He will become an option for us, Ronaldo isn´t getting any younger and this kid will get minutes in the EL, Cups and sub in the league. Hope we get him over the line.
If we do get Sesko, I don’t see us holding on to Ronaldo. I’m certain we would not be pushing so much for this signing if Ronaldo was staying. If Sesko comes, I think Ronaldo will be gone by whichever means necessary. Sold or mutual contract termination.

Loony BoB

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume by "complicated" they mean "we have to wait for the agent to evaluate their options and come back to us and we're bidding against unknown salaries that other clubs may or may not be offering and also having to decide how much we're willing to pay up front and how much will be over time and how much will be add-ons and whether we include a sell-on percentage and and and and"

It's not complicated de Jong style, as far as I can tell. It's basically the same complications that any player with multiple bidders at a club that isn't that interested in selling come up against. Just means it won't be done overnight.

bond19821982

Well if you disagree then we go back to your original point. You said for the same price, we should sign a proven goal scorer. Who can we get for £40m?
It's you who isn't getting that point. Sesko isn't the answer to our Striker problem. Don't know why are you asking me to name a striker . If Sesko is the only striker available for 40-50m then we need better scouts. As simple as that !

Chief123

It's you who isn't getting that point. Sesko isn't the answer to our Striker problem. Don't know why are you asking me to name a striker . If Sesko is the only striker available for 40-50m then we need better scouts. As simple as that !
I completely get your point. I just believe it’s invalid. I’ve asked you multiple times to validate it but you haven’t.

bond19821982

Ronaldo will leave and Martial is Martial. Will be injured in matter of weeks or start sulking . This striker (whoever we sign) is going to be a starter very soon . Not very sure if this kid is ready !

JPRouve

Scout
Having better scouts won't help in that case, in that price range you won't find a lot of proven strikers. At this point it's mainly gambles of all sorts.

bond19821982

Having better scouts won't help in that case, in that price range you won't find a lot of proven strikers. At this point it's mainly gambles of all sorts.
The need for a striker has been evident from day 1. We are 3 days away from season opener and we are now struggling to get someone in. So I would stick to my point that , our scouts or (recruiting team) need to do better.

Throwing big money on a kid from Austrian league isn't the answer !

JPRouve

Scout
The need for a striker has been evident from day 1. We are 3 days away from season opener and we are now struggling to get someone in. So I would stick to my point that , our scouts or (recruiting team) need to do better.

Throwing big money on a kid from Austrian league isn't the answer !
But you are sticking to a point that only makes sense if you can name alternatives in that price range that aren't gambles. Otherwise your point is a bit futile since proven strikers are necessarily well known.

bond19821982

But you are sticking to a point that only makes sense if you can name alternatives in that price range that aren't gambles. Otherwise your point is a bit futile since proven strikers are necessarily well known.
Again ,it's not my job to find a striker . I will give you an example. I watch only PL and Toney is a nice alternative. Are you saying if we had tried Toney in June/July, we won't be able to get him for 50-60 m ?

Are you saying there aren't strikers available in other leagues like Toney ? That's a BS argument !

Red_toad

You can say Rooney, someone else could say Drogba. Fact is none of us have any idea how good he'll turn out to be so why not trust the managers judgement
Still awaiting some expert commentary on him. Some are jizzing their pants over a few YouTube videos and making out he’s the next big thing. For the prices being mooted about I’d be wanting some excellent analysis of his game before getting all giddy about him. We seem to have great posters with a lot of knowledge about Portuguese clubs and various other league, Austrian not so much…

Chief123

Again ,it's not my job to find a striker . I will give you an example. I watch only PL and Toney is a nice alternative. Are you saying if we had tried Toney in June/July, we won't be able to get him for 50-60 m ?

Are you saying there aren't strikers available in other leagues like Toney ? That's a BS argument !
So you think spending upto £60m on a striker who’s only ever scored 12 premier league goals in his career at the age of 26 is a better value signing than one of the most promising 19 year old strikers around for 40m. Very bizarre.

JPRouve

Scout

Toney is not proven though, he has played the grand total of one season in a country first division. Your alternative is an unproven player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So you think spending upto £60m on a striker who’s only ever scored 12 premier league goals in his career at the age of 26 is a better value signing than one of the most promising 19 year old strikers around for 40m. Very bizarre.
He has only played one season in the PL, how many senior goals has he scored in the last 3/4 years? And Ivan Toney has also been a promising striker in the last 3 years also. Bizzare way to skew a point (not that I think we should sign Toney)

Chief123

He has only played one season in the PL, how many senior goals has he scored in the last 3/4 years? And Ivan Toney has also been a promising striker in the last 3 years also. Bizzare way to skew a point (not that I think we should sign Toney)
If you actually followed the conversation he’s suggesting Toney as the proven goal scorer rather than Sesko. His initial point being we should be signing a proven goal scorer for £40m. It just isn’t happening.

bond19821982

And you think spending 40m on an unproven kid to answer our striking options this year, is a nice idea ? Especially, given how we handled Martial and Amad in recent times ?

It works both ways , isn't it ? Point is , we need someone who can come in and do the job immediately. I doubt 18 year old kid from Austria is the answer for it. Again, no disrespect to the kid and he could be a hell of a striker tomorrow. I'm just concerned about us this year.

RedorDead21

Toney is not proven though, he has played the grand total of one season in a country first division. Your alternative is an unproven player.
the daythe greenwood tape was aired we knew we needed a new striker. It’s absolutely pathetic we haven’t got one in the week the PL season starts. I’d say we are past the must be proven stage.

Cassidy

If you actually followed the conversation he’s suggesting Toney as the proven goal scorer rather than Sesko. His initial point being we should be signing a proven goal scorer for £40m. It just isn’t happening.
I did follow and Toney is a proven goal scorer (not PL proven agree) but a lot more proven than Sesko which is why I said why are you only looking at last season.
I don't think we should sign Toney mind you

bond19821982

He isn't. Not sure how many matches have you watched of Toney but he isn't unproven.

Chief123

I did follow and Toney is a proven goal scorer (not PL proven agree) but a lot more proven than Sesko which is why I said why are you only looking at last season.
I don't think we should sign Toney mind you
Only 12 goals in the premier league to become a proven goal scorer? Interesting. In that case we should be all over Danny Ings and Pukki.

JPRouve

Scout
the daythe greenwood tape was aired we knew we needed a new striker. It’s absolutely pathetic we haven’t got one in the week the PL season starts. I’d say we are past the must be proven stage.
I don't disagree, bringing a forward was in my view a priority but the posters I was conversing with is against bringing an unproven player while not suggesting any proven player. Truth be told almost all clubs have been in the same situation when it comes to strikers.

PSG refused to agree on Scamacca's fee and went with a young striker, Chelsea brought no one, Liverpool spent a fortune on a player with one good season. It's not a good market at the moment, you have the choice between young unproven players and old average strikers with both costing a fortune.

Cassidy

So you admit he’s not premier league proven. In that case Sesko isn’t premier league proven either and is cheaper and younger.
And ALOT less proven. But my point was about how you chose to compare which is why I said read the post. I even said I wouldn't sign Toney

JPRouve

Scout
He isn't. Not sure how many matches have you watched of Toney but he isn't unproven.
I'm sorry but there is no world where a player is proven after one season. And we are not even talking about a young or particularly productive player. I don't mind the idea of going for that type of player but these are gambles.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just splash the cash on him. feck it. He has potential, he is physically ready to handle the league, he is a striker who can handle game time. Martial's fitness can't be trusted at all clearly, Ronaldo is 37 and wants out. It'd be idiotic to not sign both a winger and a striker.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His underlying stats profile would also raise some question marks about how much of a consistent goalscorer he's likely to be.

If anything you'd sign him for everything else he brings as a CF.

Status
Not open for further replies.