Benjamin Sesko | Despite Raees best efforts he’s joining Liepzig. Damn you Raees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolaholic

So you’re going to provide zero context? Both players were in the last years of heir contract hence the price. If they had 2 years left the price would have doubled at the very least.
I simply replied to the question asked...

We literally saw some of the best 'proven' strikers be sold for that amount this window

Chief123

Glazers will be so happy we have so many Accountants who are keeping an eye on the books. Looking after the dividends they’ll take out.

Chief123

I simply replied to the question asked...
It wasn’t a valid answer though. I asked which players we could sign right now for 40m. We can’t sign the 2 you mentioned because they have signed for other clubs. Even if they hadn’t we would have zero chance of signing them as they wouldn’t come to us.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A huge part was his lifestyle I guess, the other part an earlier burn out.
And athletes have a shelf life. Outside of few exceptions starting sooner means that you are going to stop/decline sooner.

Chief123

I imagine that Icardi or Ben Yedder would be available at that price.
Ben Yedder is about to turn 32 and past his peak. Icardi will be 30 this season and probably not the profile we are looking for.

Buying Sesko isn’t a short term investment. The cost would be for potential as well as current value. We need to look beyond signing short term solutions where we go back to the drawing board every season.

Widow

Demand dictates value.

Our fanbase cried out in anguish when we missed out on Haaland the first time, and time has shown that we should have signed him. This kid looks like a tremendous prospect and is wanted by many of Europe's top teams, if we want him we'll have to spend the monies on him or risk another retreat in a few years' time. At 40 million and at only 19, we would be able to recoup most if not all of the initial fee in any resale, if needed.

He looks to be worth the risk.

Chief123

Interestingly while people often use Rooney as a positive example, it's not mentioned enough that his career at the top ended way sooner than usual. He was a precocious talent but also an early retiree
We still got nearly 10 years of having a top class player out of him.

AdNani

If we get him and De Jong then id be happy with this window, even though id never heard of him until we were linked, least it's an extra body,

Also i have a feeling Ronaldo leaves when this is over the line

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Demand dictates value.

Our fanbase cried out in anguish when we missed out on Haaland the first time, and time has shown that we should have signed him. This kid looks like a tremendous prospect and is wanted by many of Europe's top teams, if we want him we'll have to spend the monies on him or risk another retreat in a few years' time. At 40 million and at only 19, we would be able to recoup most if not all of the initial fee in any resale, if needed.

Or he could be another Luka Jovic?

Waste of 60million euros by Real Madrid as they recouped nothing.

saik

Not sure what the complications are? That Salzburg are reluctant to sell?

croadyman

If we get him and De Jong then id be happy with this window, even though id never heard of him until we were linked, least it's an extra body,

Still leaves hole at RB but won't be filled until someone actually wants to take AWB

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If those reports are true, that is an absolute sh*tload of money for potential. But, if that expenditure cancels Ronaldo being so vital to us this coming season and he can spend more time sat on the bench, looking glum while contemplating his own bruised ego and general self aggrandizing tw*tiness then £48m is a snip!

hobbers

Competition from Liverpool after they spend £80m on a striker with an identical profile. Okay.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ben Yedder is about to turn 32 and past his peak. Icardi will be 30 this season and probably not the profile we are looking for.

Buying Sesko isn’t a short term investment. The cost would be for potential as well as current value. We need to look beyond signing short term solutions where we go back to the drawing board every season.
I tried to answer your question, I agree with your sentiment but thought that the options I have in mind would be telling.

We still got nearly 10 years of having a top class player out of him.
Which is a normal length, the point being that reaching a certain level sooner doesn't really mean much when you also decline sooner. In normal circumstances you get the same length of top end football.

Chief123

Clubs will always over pay for players depending on how high the demand and need is, but with young promising players your risk appetite increases when there is obvious potential there. At 19 years old and costing £40m, we’d very likely be able to recoup that if needed in future he falls well short of his potential.

Despite most of us not hearing about him until recently, it doesn’t devalue his potential. Most Utd fans never heard of Haaland when we nearly signed him from Salsburg first time round.

croadyman

Not sure what the complications are? That Salzburg are reluctant to sell?
Yeah we aren't getting much positive transfer news out of the reliable sources last couple of days which is worrying

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Which proven striker are you getting for £40m? Chelsea just signed a rotational left back for £52m.
The elite market isn't available. You have to make a compromise. Are you saying there is no strikers available in 40m- 50m range ?

romufc

At 40 million and at only 19, we would be able to recoup most if not all of the initial fee in any resale, if needed.

Really? Do you think we can get the fee and resale for Amad Diallo?

AndySmith1990

Greenwood had done far more at an earlier age, as had Rooney. Still awaiting an expert review on him, seems a lot of hype and bluff at the moment,
You can say Rooney, someone else could say Drogba. Fact is none of us have any idea how good he'll turn out to be so why not trust the managers judgement

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don’t think we’re getting Ivan Toney for any less than we pay for Sesko. Wan Bissaka cost us 50m.

He’s young but at the very least he offers us something different. 40m to us isn’t a lot in the grand scheme of things, but when buying from the PL it gets you bugger all.
Which is still fine. Pay up another 10-15 and get a proven striker like Toney. This 40m is a waste of money this year just like we spent 37 on Amad.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
I dont care if he costs £20, 30 or 40 million. He will be a big player somewhere else in europe soon if we dont snap him up

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Getting tired of this complicated nonsense for most our transfers. Its likely not complicated for other clubs.

Chief123

I tried to answer your question, I agree with your sentiment but thought that the options I have in mind would be telling.

Which is a normal length, the point being that reaching a certain level sooner doesn't really mean much when you also decline sooner. In normal circumstances you get the same length of top end football.
I agree the price we would have to pay for him would be excessive but there are a number of factors that have to be considered when it comes to a transfer. One of the biggest factors is supply in the market. Right now there is a major shortage of top class strikers. The demand massively outweighs the supply. We’ve seen that with the Nunez fee for Liverpool.

We’ve got clubs like Chelsea who are at the top level and don’t have any out n out striker who can walk into the team.

The likes of Bayern, Utd, Chelsea are looking round Europe in search of someone that can meet that demand. It’s not easy to find players who will be a “bargain” for a striker.

AdNani

Still leaves hole at RB but won't be filled until someone actually wants to take AWB
Agreed, although i think we could cope with Dalot for a year if a move for a AWB doesn't happen, more so than not having a top class midfielder and another option up top.
Clubs will always over pay for players depending on how high the demand and need is, but with young promising players your risk appetite increases when there is obvious potential there. At 19 years old and costing £40m, we’d very likely be able to recoup that if needed in future he falls well short of his potential.

Despite most of us not hearing about him until recently, it doesn’t devalue his potential. Most Utd fans never heard of Haaland when we nearly signed him from Salsburg first time round.
Yeah relatively low risk, if he turns out half as good as Haaland we've got a 20 goal striker so here's hoping.

Although i have absolutely no doubt he'll win the Ballon D'or.

Judas

Open to offers
Personally I don’t think this one is happening at least not any time soon, and there really isn’t any decent sources claiming it’s all that close either.

Chief123

The elite market isn't available. You have to make a compromise. Are you saying there is no strikers available in 40m- 50m range ?
You’ve literally answered the question. The elite market isn’t available. So us trying to sign Sesko is a compromise right?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Every transfer story just seems like the biggest ballache. I really miss the days where you just got up Ceefax and saw we’d signed someone rather than all these ridiculous babbling Tweets that try to make a story out of nothing and cover all bases.

croadyman

Personally I don’t think this one is happening at least not any time soon, and there really isn’t any decent sources claiming it’s all that close either.
Certainly know how to flatten already low morale

Status
Not open for further replies.