Benzema vs Rooney

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
There isn’t much to add here, who do you think is better?

I mean I’d have said Rooney until Benzema started the predictable renaissance stuff those chaps like to do.

Rooney edges it for me.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
They are a bit similiar, aren't they?

Both are "strikers", but are very versatile, can play out wide, behind the striker, or as the main goalscorer of the team, whatever the teams needs them for, they can do.

Benzema edges it for me on longevity btw.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Both sacrificed the majority of their own careers in favour of Ronaldo funnily enough. Both would have hit much higher heights without him in the team.

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

I think Rooney was well rounded, Rooney could do anything to an excellent or very good degree, so he is better as an overall footballer, Benzema is more skillful and perhaps the better #9

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Both sacrificed the majority of their own careers in favour of Ronaldo funnily enough. Both would have hit much high quality heights without him in the team.
I'd say it wasn't sacrificing for one player as much as it was for the team overall though.

Take Benzema for example, yes he does better now without Ronaldo, but its also a fact that Real Madrid scored significantly less when Ronaldo left.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
One thing is clear: Wayne Rooney was made to play for Manchester United.

edcunited1878

Benzema for his pure talent in the final 3rd, no matter the position. Rooney for his ability and drive no matter where he was on the pitch.

Benzema is aging better because he looks after himself and has better technique with both feet. But prime Wazza could tackle a player in his defensive 3rd, win possession, spray a pass to the opposite wing, float to the other end of the pitch, and score a clinical goal.

At their peak, I'd take Wazza...but not much between them.

OmarUnited4ever

Both sacrificed the majority of their own careers in favour of Ronaldo funnily enough. Both would have hit much high quality heights without him in the team.
Not that I disagree, but I think SAF or any manager would want to make use of Rooney's versatility & unselfishness, regardless of having players like Ronaldo, Berbatov, or RVP , it gives the manager more options.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah can see the similarities

Both played second fiddle to Ronnie and when he left they became the main man to great success

Peak for peak I believe Wayne was better he had more versatile .could play in the midfield as well and just having a larger tool set I'd say heading is the only place where karim is definitely better though Wayne improved massively towards the end

Also judging their post Ronnie careers Wayne edges it out (won 2 more league titles reaching a further ucl final while being cheated out of the chance for a further 2 finals (10/13) while benzema has only won 1 league title but that very well might change

Unfortunately I think the Germans really fecked up rooney in that game and he never really was the same after that and what a shame if only he had Ronaldo's dedication

Benzema is much more of a professional and longevity wise he wins hands down

Unfortunately I feel due to his longevity I'd rank him higher in the all time list compared to Wayne and what shame

Bottom line both were and are wonderful players a really asset to have in your team

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
One of my favourite ever goals, that.

The keeper is already in that corner, gets a full dive in, but the ball has just been twatted into another dimension and you can't even blame him for still not getting anywhere near it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Both sacrificed the majority of their own careers in favour of Ronaldo funnily enough. Both would have hit much higher heights without him in the team.
Ronaldo left United in 2009 when Rooney was just 24 y.o. Plenty of time for the later to hit a much greater height.

Agreed about Benzema. He's been phenomenal since Ronaldo left.

frostbite

Rooney.

He was a force of nature. The first couple of years with us I was worried that he will collect many red cards to the detriment of the team. I was wrong, he matured beyond my expectations and he controlled his passion during the game. In many instances, he sacrificed his ego for the team, I did not expect that from the 18 year old Rooney.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fergie wanted Benzema to partner Rooney when Ronaldo went to Madrid. There are a few nearly signings that could have changed the course of a generation for us and I think Benzema is definitely that good, he would have destroyed the PL. Ronaldinho was another but we got Ronadlo instead…

TheLord

I don't think this is even a discussion point anywhere outside pro-United forums.

Benzema is clearly the better striker of the two. However, in the recurring Cafe theme of 'peak vs career", Rooney may certainly have had a better "peak", albeit for only a couple of years.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Benzema is the better striker/forward, i think it is fairly obvious. That said, Rooney does bring other qualities to the table, but will require him to play deeper.
Waiting for the ban now

Jackal981

Funny enough similar players. Hyped wonderkid, both sacrifice their game for Ronaldo, stayed in a single big club for a long time, bald and white :lol: . Prime Rooney is better than prime Benzema but Benzema wins on longetivity. Both are also versatile enough to slot and swap in multiple attacking positions. Rooney had more physical presence but Benzema has better technical skills imo. Rooney also declined very quick which was sad to see.

CloneMC16

Benzema. He's still world class at 34. Rooney was finished at 27/28.

NewYorkRed

Rooney 100% had the higher ceiling of the two. Rooney at his peak was better than Benzema at his best. However, Benzema has arguably had the better career both in terms of trophies and longetivity so I’d have to just give it to him if I’m being unbiased- Rooney could have been something else if he had better focus/drive and took care of himself.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Rooney was such a force in his peak, but his peak was very short lived. Benzema has easily had the better career though.

I think neutrals would rate Benzema higher.

Oranges038

Personal preference.

It all really depends on whether or not your prefer someone who shags granny prostitutes or underage prostitutes.

frostbite

Guys, why do you care about longevity?

Would you prefer to watch Ronaldinho for 2 years or Cleverley for 20 years?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Let's not do the "he tracks back" stuff. It means terrible little in a conversation like this.

I'd still pick peak Rooney though.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Rooney when he came onto the scene gave me he could be the GOAT vibes and though he didn’t reach that level he still attained a one of the greatest player of his generation levels. Benzema has probably hit a one if the greatest strikers of his generation levels. Both excellent though. If I picked a 25 man squad of their time period I'd probably pick or be debating selecting Rooney but I wouldn't be with Benzema.

Last edited:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Feel like most neutrals (especially non-English) would give it to Benzema, and it's fair enough. He's great, won 4CL and especially after Ronaldo left has been a top 3 striker for several years.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Interesting to hear what people see as peak Rooney. Is it the burgeoning talent at 18-21 or the goal scoring prime at 24-26?

To me young Rooney is the only version that compares with Benzema’s early 30s standard - the unpredictability, the technical range and ability to hurt teams from different angles. They both had that in spades. I don’t think there’s much between their peaks, marginal case for Rooney but some of that excitement was built on what felt like his almost limitless potential.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
At their peak Rooney.

Career? Benzema.

It's really such a shame Rooney didn't look after himself like he should have.

Trequarista10

Rooney had moments of pure electricity that were a higher level than Benzema's highs, but for consistency and longevity Benzema edges it, so I'd say a tie overall.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Interesting to hear what people see as peak Rooney. Is it the burgeoning talent at 18-21 or the goal scoring prime at 24-26?

To me young Rooney is the only version that compares with Benzema’s early 30s standard - the unpredictability, the technical range and ability to hurt teams from different angles. They both had that in spades. I don’t think there’s much between their peaks, marginal case for Rooney but some of that excitement was built on what felt like his almost limitless potential.
I liked him early in his career. His unpredictability coupled with his freakish talent was a joy to watch each week. It sounds off but later in his career his unpredictability became more predictable and despite being a much more refined and mature footballer that was still capable of the phenomenal, he didn't have the same edge of your seat watchability.

youmeletsfly

In terms of being a better striker/player overall over their careers, Benzema, hands down.
However, if you compare 18-24 year old Rooney with Benzema at any point during his career, Rooney easily wins.