Benzema vs Rooney

marktan

One thing to mention r.e. Benzema is that his longevity has likely been helped from being not picked internationally for 5 years. That's a lot of rest that other players don't get. Ronaldo in particular was really overplayed by both Juventus and Portugal for example, and of course Rooney was made to run around as a work horse everywhere he played and played international tournaments injured.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
One thing to mention r.e. Benzema is that his longevity has likely been helped from being not picked internationally for 5 years. That's a lot of rest that other players don't get. Ronaldo in particular was really overplayed by both Juventus and Portugal for example, and of course Rooney was made to run around as a work horse everywhere he played and played international tournaments injured.
Yes, I always thought this was helping him rest properly at an advanced age.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, I always thought this was helping him rest properly at an advanced age.
I remember not being too arsed about his ban precisely because it meant he could only focused on playing for Real Madrid and having more rest.

Walters_19_MuFc

It seems to be a common sentiment on here that Rooney spent years on the wing in order to sacrifice for Ronaldo but I doubt he even played more than 30 games on the wing for us.
Conveniently missed out the second striker bit. Good job!

Mike Smalling

They are not really directly comparable as players. You would never consider playing Benzema deeper or out wide - he is a central striker. He does that significantly better than Rooney, but Rooney was a more complete football player with a wider set of skills.

Benzema has had a more successful career overall, I would say. Massively helped by being part of an awesome Madrid side, but it's not like he has been a passenger for more than a decade.

the_cliff

They are not really directly comparable as players. You would never consider playing Benzema deeper or out wide - he is a central striker. He does that significantly better than Rooney, but Rooney was a more complete football player with a wider set of skills.

Benzema has had a more successful career overall, I would say. Massively helped by being part of an awesome Madrid side, but it's not like he has been a passenger for more than a decade.
Have you seen Benzema play football ?

The reason why Benz is 34 and is still so good is because he's technically better in every aspect to Rooney who was pretty much done at 32. When you lose your physicality/pace you're left with your ability on the ball and Benz's technical ability is second to none.

Last edited:

Drogon27

This thread is pathetic.
Rooney is a club legend but Benzema is one of the best forwards of all time.

Strootman's Finger

Have you seen Benzema play football ?

The reason why Benz is 34 and is still so good is because he's technically better in every aspect to Rooney who was pretty much done at 32. When you lose your physicality/pace you're left with your ability on the ball and Benz's technical ability is second to none.
Rooney was done at 27, just no one wanted to admit it.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

What were these wider set of skills?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
This thread is pathetic.
Rooney is a club legend but Benzema is one of the best forwards of all time.
You would get the exact same response asking this question with Drogba on a Chelsea forum vs Benzema, it is understandable. Likewise ask this question on the the Madrid forums and you would get laughed at, rose tinted glasses and all.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
you can't compare the 2.
Rooney was done as a player when he was 31 and left United.
And he had 4 seasons where he scored at least 20goals in all competitions.
While Benzema had 2 seasons where he didn't score at least 20 goals.
Rooney was a good player but Benzema is still a top player at 34 while Rooney is retired since as a top players since years and Rooney is 36.

MrEleson

You’re widely off the mark. It’s actually the opposite with regards to their skill set. Benzema is the far more complete player. And he actually did play on the wing on a number of occasions at Madrid when Mourinho wanted to shoehorn him, Higuain and Ronaldo in the same line-up; he ended up playing on the right of a 4-2-3-1 when Kaka and Di Maria were out injured.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know if it has been mentioned but if the legend is true, Ronaldo was key for Benzema. He used to struggle with his weight, life hygiene and fitness, at some point the legend says that Ronaldo gave him advises and the number of his chef which was the start of Benzema not looking the july version of Hazard. I wonder if prime Ronaldo could have had the same influence on Rooney.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't know if it has been mentioned but if the legend is true, Ronaldo was key for Benzema. He used to struggle with his weight, life hygiene and fitness, at some point the legend says that Ronaldo gave him advises and the number of his chef which was the start of Benzema not looking the july version of Hazard. I wonder if prime Ronaldo could have had the same influence on Rooney.
I think it's one of those that's greatly exaggerated. Benzema already had a pretty healthy lifestyle prior to getting to Madrid. He may have been inspired to improve his diet a bit, but I feel like I remember him already focused on his diet and fitness in his Lyon days, could be remembering it wrong.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think it's one of those that's greatly exaggerated. Benzema already had a pretty healthy lifestyle prior to getting to Madrid. He may have been inspired to improve his diet a bit, but I feel like I remember him already focused on his diet and fitness in his Lyon days, could be remembering it wrong.
Benzema ballooned at some point at Madrid, iirc he went to Merano early and regain his weight later.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Benzema ballooned at some point at Madrid, iirc he went to Merano early and regain his weight later.
Ah, I didn't remember that. It was always a risk with him when you see him in the youth teams, he looked a few meals away from fat Ronaldo, but ever since he hit the pro I can only remember him being in good shape, but now that you mention it there was a moment when he did get up there in waist size.

OrcaFat

Peak Rooney was incredible, but brief and sporadic. Most of the time he was very good. By the end he was pretty poor.

Benzema is an exceptional technical player.

Peak Rooney beats pretty much anyone but on average I have to say Benzema is better.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Peak Rooney was incredible, but brief and sporadic. Most of the time he was very good. By the end he was pretty poor.

Benzema is an exceptional technical player.

Peak Rooney beats pretty much anyone but on average I have to say Benzema is better.
This analysis ignores the poor parts of Benzema's career that gets brushed over on here because

1. Not as many people watched La Liga as every United game
2. His poor performances were excused with "oh he's carrying water for Ronaldo"

BalanceUnAutreJoint

This analysis ignores the poor parts of Benzema's career that gets brushed over on here because
No if anything they're massively overblown.
Benzema only had two average seasons : 16/17 and 17/18 really.
In both he still put up more than 20 G+A and had decisive performances in the later stages of the CL (16/17 the dribble on Atletico, 17/18 a brace in semifinals and a goal in the final)

MrEleson

Yeah he was definitely bigger around the middle of his RM career. He doesn’t have the nickname “Big Benz” for nothing. He was also injured more often then too. I think after Ronaldo left, his physical condition on the whole improved dramatically.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Rooney was the better wonderkid, but by 2015 or so he was absolutely shot and probably left United a year or 2 later than he should have done.

Benzema has gone from strength to strength, particularly as he moved out of Ronaldo's shadow. The 5 year international exile obviously plays a part in his longevity - but he's still played a lot of football over the years.

I'm guessing Benzema also takes far better care of his body than Rooney was able to, particularly without the booze.

adexkola

Supports
No if anything they're massively overblown.
Benzema only had two average seasons : 16/17 and 17/18 really.
In both he still put up more than 20 G+A and had decisive performances in the later stages of the CL (16/17 the dribble on Atletico, 17/18 a brace in semifinals and a goal in the final)
Since he joined Madrid? I disagree.

And if we are judging by stats then Rooney is no slouch on that, but reading this thread the player with the most goals for our club somehow had only 4 great seasons...

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Guys, Benzema or Zlatan? Who do you rate higher and why?

Would love to see a thread on this topic.

OrcaFat

1. Not as many people watched La Liga as every United game
2. His poor performances were excused with "oh he's carrying water for Ronaldo"
Yeah, he wasn’t and isn’t perfect. The recency effect is probably strong in this case. To a degree I’m just disappointed Rooney’s career, although great when you look at the numbers, was not nearly as amazing as it should have been (he’s not unique in that, I realise).

antk

Guys, Benzema or Zlatan? Who do you rate higher and why?

Would love to see a thread on this topic.
I'd struggle to think of any reason to have Zlatan above Rooney, let alone Benzema.

Exceptional player of course though.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

I understand preferring Rooney because of his attitude, peak performance, style of play etc. I think sport is more of an art than a science and Rooney was not just a great talent - he felt like a force of nature.

But this feels like the take of someone that hasn’t watched a great deal of Benzema playing football. He is one of the most complete strikers of all time. Plus he’s played roughly 10% of his games on the wing.

adexkola

Supports
Yeah, he wasn’t and isn’t perfect. The recency effect is probably strong in this case. To a degree I’m just disappointed Rooney’s career, although great when you look at the numbers, was not nearly as amazing as it should have been (he’s not unique in that, I realise).
The disappointment is valid I think, especially as a United fan.

I think collectively it's led to this very weird underrating (on here) of a player who despite his falls and earlier than usual drop off, had an excellent career.

I mean, you have some on here insulted at the very suggestion both names are in the same conversation. Recency bias is a mofo but still, the feck?

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Since he joined Madrid? I disagree.

And if we are judging by stats then Rooney is no slouch on that, but reading this thread the player with the most goals for our club somehow had only 4 great seasons...
Since he joined Madrid he had 2 average seasons (16/17, 17/18) and one poor one (09/10) but given that's when he arrived with limited playing time at only 21 year old, that one doesn't really tell much of anything
Pretty much every other season was either world class or very good

Club statistics only

10/11 : 26 goals 9 assists in all comp
11/12 : 32 goals 19 assists in all comp
12/13 : 20 goals 19 assists in all comp
13/14 : 24 goals 15 assists in all comp
14/15 : 22 goals 14 assists in all comp
15/16 : 28 goals 8 assists in all comp (with very limited playing time due to injuries)
18/19 : 30 goals 11 assists in all comp
19/20 : 27 goals 11 assists in all comp
20/21 : 30 goals 9 assists in all comp
21/22 so far : 32 goals 13 assists in all comp

OrcaFat

The disappointment is valid I think, especially as a United fan.

I think collectively it's led to this very weird underrating (on here) of a player who despite his falls and earlier than usual drop off, had an excellent career.

I mean, you have some on here insulted at the very suggestion both names are in the same conversation. Recency bias is a mofo but still, the feck?
Yeah and, again, I do think peak Rooney was a clear notch above peak Benzema. Both very good players and in the same general quality bracket, no doubt.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Benzema is clear ahead of Rooney, both in term of peak and longevity.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Also blackmailing but not in terms of amount of burgers
Benzema got the maximum possible sentence for what he was accused for and that's 1 year of suspended prison sentence. You can get up to 5 years with actual blackmail

He wasn't the blackmailer nor did he even have any contact with the blackmailers. They hired an intermediate (knowing he was Benzema's childhood friend) who then went through Benzema to pass on the message that they got Valbuena's tape

jesperjaap

Funnily enough though Benzema has had more longegevity there careers have been similar to me. Rooney at Everton and Benzema at Lyon. These were two very young players with the world at there feet that looked like becoming all time greats.

Both have had excellent careers won all the domestic trophies out there an dbeen part of hugely successful sides, broke records, to be Madrids striker (all be it wider during ROnaldos striker spell) for a decade is a remarkabke achievement in itself.

But in a strange way, neither for me has quite been the all time great player I expecgted them to be. Both partly from there selfless atttitude of working for the team and often being out of position and/or scarificing part of there attacking instincts. But Rooney had a three year spell where he was absolutely world class and then faded, Benzema has had his for me the last couple of years and simlar for there countries in different periods.

Not slighting there careers intentionally, but I thought they would be mentioned alongside the ROnaldos and Messis they were so talented and neither quite reached those heights even though great players. Benzema I remember for Lyon beign superb holding the ball up and in the air, we have only really seen that the last couple of years with Madrid with him bein gup front and slighlty different play from the team.

Both will be remembered for great careers for years to come, but neither will come up in discussions for all time elevens and both actually could have been I felt when there careers were very early on. Glad to see Benzema rightly gettign the recognition he deserves though the last few seasons as dont think he really got it beforehand, I even remember people talking of not wanting him here a few seasons back, madness, could understand a bit more with Rooney as he really faded at a young age I thought, great players and in there peak periods, unstoppable...had to end there as sounds like a negative post, meant as the opposite really

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
This classic thread
Only on a United forum though will you see as much people saying Rooney was clearly better, but i guess it's understandable coming from United fans.