Berbatov

buckooo1978

fantastic footballer but we would have been better off with Tevez who was more of a big game player

remember some fantastic football from Berba and the hat trick v Liverpool

also remember a nil-nil against Blackburn when Rooney was out injured (his amazing season) and we effectively needed a goal to win the league - he didn't step up and missed a great chance iirc

Robbie Boy

I really liked him as a player and was excited when we signed him. However, I feel his time with us was generally a let down. I think he was more exciting to watch when he was linking up with Keane at Spurs.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Amazing volleys in this one, my favourite video of his. The best bit is the bicycle-kick assist at 5:25.

Not a great video, but his time at Leverusen is always missed in other compilations. This just shows his goals and some assists. From watching this I realised he's scored against Real, Barca, Bayern (all 3 as a Leverkusen player), United (for Spurs and Leverkusen), Liverpool (for United and Fulham), Chelsea (United and Spurs) and Arsenal (Spurs, Fulham, and Monaco :lol:). Not bad!

The highlight of his time at Leverkusen is this classic, by far:

Last edited:

Treble

fantastic footballer but we would have been better off with Tevez who was more of a big game player

remember some fantastic football from Berba and the hat trick v Liverpool

also remember a nil-nil against Blackburn when Rooney was out injured (his amazing season) and we effectively needed a goal to win the league - he didn't step up and missed a great chance iirc
That was Valencia set up by...Berba. He was one of our better players in that game but fans were understandably frustrated and singled out him for our failure there.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Supremely talented and had a few spectacular moments, but he never seemed like the right player for us, apart from that one season where he had more good spells than usual.

As a person, he is infinitely more likable than Tevez, but on the pitch Berbatov annoyed me by constantly not being in position, and throwing a strop when he didn't get the ball. He turned out to be a massive bastard, but at that time I'd rather we spent the money on Tevez.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That was Valencia set up by...Berba. He was one of our better players in that game but fans were understandably frustrated and singled out him for our failure there.
It was an awful performance from the team, Berba didn't do well but he was starved of service. I'm not sure he had a single shot. You're right though - he set up the only chance we had all game, for Valencia.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Elegant, fancy skills and it's a joy to watch him play individually. Teamplay wise, he's just too lacking.

Still a beautiful performer, I mean it's entertaining watching him play with his skills, first touches and all.

Classy.
This sums it up perfectly. He was unique type of striker, something like striker-playmaker. He was not good for Fergie's quick style of play but i think that for teams which play with slower tempo he would be amazing.

Djemba-Djemba

I also recall an FA Cup semi final against City where Rooney was suspended, for swearing down the camera, and Berbatov had to step up.

But he missed a couple of big chances, we lost and I don't think Fergie ever trusted him after that.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He is still a massive United fan. You can tell how proud he is of having played for us. Up there with Pat and the twins.

He was in his head a lot though. I think he didn't quite have the confidence to be a superstar even though he had the talent.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I also recall an FA Cup semi final against City where Rooney was suspended, for swearing down the camera, and Berbatov had to step up.

But he missed a couple of big chances, we lost and I don't think Fergie ever trusted him after that.
FA Cup provided some pretty awful Berba memories - the penalty against Everton in the semis was atrocious.

Still, amazingly talented and great to watch.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
His 10/11 season is underrated. Sure, it wasn't some great season, whole season he played in hit and miss mode, end of season was a big low for him, but still he managed to be our top goalscorer and he did score some crucial goals for title( Liverpool, Bolton, Blackpool).

Overall, he was hit and miss but i am glad that we had him.

TRUERED89

His second goal in the hattrick against Liverpool has to be one of the best goals scored at Old Trafford, and one of the best ever scored against Liverpool except maybe Mata at Anfield. What a day that was though, thank you Berba..

mjstokes85

One of my favourite players of all time, got him on the back of one of my United shirts. His hold up play was very underrated. He scored some crucial goals and some incredibly memorable ones.

Reactions: SteveJ

He was a brilliant player but he didn't fit in the team at the time. He was a square peg for a round hole, the rest of the team played a different style of football to him and it resulted in everyone being a little worse than they might have otherwise been. I feel similarly about Lukaku although the problem is bigger now.

Melville Red

A Berbatov thread! My favorite all time player!

You are joking right?
I go back quite a while so I will refrain from going back too far so let’s keep it to the PL years.
Have you forgotten Eric? Have you forgotten Keane? Robson (just in the PL) but too good to be left out of this quick list. Those players came to mind without thinking.
Berbatov was a decent player for us but nothing great, for strikers who did far more for us and will rank higher are Cole, Yorke, even Teddy who should have come to us far earlier and was wasted at Spurs.
Oh well each to their own.

meamth

You are joking right?
I go back quite a while so I will refrain from going back too far so let’s keep it to the PL years.
Have you forgotten Eric? Have you forgotten Keane? Robson (just in the PL) but too good to be left out of this quick list. Those players came to mind without thinking.
Berbatov was a decent player for us but nothing great, for strikers who did far more for us and will rank higher are Cole, Yorke, even Teddy who should have come to us far earlier and was wasted at Spurs.
Oh well each to their own.
It's not about achievements or a player must be historically significant player for United to be my own favorite player.

I just love the way he plays. Languid and supreme technicality, I just love that style.

I play football trying to be Berba, that's why. :lol:

LeftyBlaster

One of my favourite players ever. He actually would be devastating playing for us now were he in his prime. I'd say he was the signed during the wrong era, but it's hard to ignore his contributions for us. Single handedly shitting on Liverpool with that hat-trick is right up there in my top United moments.

meamth

One of my favourite players ever. He actually would be devastating playing for us now were he in his prime. I'd say he was the signed during the wrong era, but it's hard to ignore his contributions for us. Single handedly shitting on Liverpool with that hat-trick is right up there in my top United moments.
Yeah, imagine Berba and Pogba connecting. I bet he can read Pogba easily.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The 90s saw the glory times of the so called mezza punta (ie the deep lying striker role). You had players like Cantona, Baggio, Del Piero, Bergkamp, Zola etc. In a football were the main striker was basically a goal poacher (Vieri, Shearer, Inzaghi, Fowler, Batistuta, Signori), managers felt that were the need for someone upfront with that extra technique and creativity.

That role started to die out as ball possession became more important. Managers needed more men in midfield which meant that they expected more out of their striker then simply score goals. then simply score goals.These days you struggle to find goal poachers anymore. We've got one in Lukaku but there's hardly anyone around.

Berbatov was nowhere near to Cantona let alone Baggio. Having said that while questions regarding his workrate are justified, its also true that he was comfortable in a role that was dying away. In fact other players were in similar circumstances and were struggling (ex Cassano). Meanwhile other players with a different skillset were moved around in other roles. Tevez for example who had great workrate become more of a no 10, Rooney became a lone striker while SAF tried to persuade Danny Welbeck to move on the flanks.

If Berba played in the 90s then he would have probably been at par to Bergkamp.
I think that's largely true. He was definitely the deep lying striker type. He could however been used as a false 9 is a 433 but we didn't have the players to do that at the time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Berbatov,

149 games and 56 goals. Hatrick at home to Liverpool in 2010. Had a top season in 10/11 and got 21 goals.

What is everyones thoughts on him?
It's funny looking back, he scored so many lovely goals. He's quicker than I remember too.

I always remember his touch and hold up play being good, but he's got a fantastic low driven shot, and pretty 2 footed. What a silky player :drool:

MisterLupus

One of those players who could produce magic from nothing. Some of his maneuvers were as good as any I've ever seen - and I remember always feeling excitement whenever he was fielded because you knew he could produce something spectacular at any given time. However he seemed a bit lacking in hunger and drive - aloof even.

An artist more than a proffessional to be honest. The kind of player you'd love to see in glimpses when he's feeling inspired - well capable of taking on the lead role during smaller campaigns - but who might fall a bit short in terms of producing steadilly throughout an entire season.

People are different though and I feel he added an extra dimension to that particular lineup even if others contributed more consistently. He produced some worthwhile moments for sure no questions there and I'm thankful I got to see them.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

MoskvaRed

Never liked him to be honest. He was a Spurs level player - easy on the eye but lightweight at the very top level.

Chairman Steve

A very very good player who didn’t quite fit, but Sir Alex made him fit better than he should have. Probably learned that after Veron.

Berbas 2008 transfer saga is the reason I found this website to be honest. I remember checking the Berba thread almost an hourly basis, waiting to see if it was actually going to happen.

Red14Devil9

Berbatov was good, but he could have been great if he wouldn't be so sulky.

Melville Red

It's not about achievements or a player must be historically significant player for United to be my own favorite player.

I just love the way he plays. Languid and supreme technicality, I just love that style.

I play football trying to be Berba, that's why. :lol:
Fair do’s.

Foxbatt

He was not a flop. Anyone who saw Berba regularly should have known he doesn't have much pace and he needed someone along side him up front.
I have repeatedly said even then having a midfield of Fletcher behind him was always detrimental to a player like Berba. Time and again he would be asking for the ball from a midfield and it would never come.
Berbatov rarely losses possession and he is a very good player in the air too.
I would pay to watch him play.

Ace Krampus

Loved watching the guy. Oozed charisma. Him getting benched for that dizzy goat Welbeck was a source of never-ending frustration in 2011-12.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
This is one of my all-time favourite goals.

The absolute nonchalance he hits the ball with. It looks like the laziest yet most elegant finish. It's perfect.

Canagel

The absolute nonchalance he hits the ball with. It looks like the laziest yet most elegant finish. It's perfect.
he's the artist on the pitch.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
The 90s saw the glory times of the so called mezza punta (ie the deep lying striker role). You had players like Cantona, Baggio, Del Piero, Bergkamp, Zola etc. In a football were the main striker was basically a goal poacher (Vieri, Shearer, Inzaghi, Fowler, Batistuta, Signori), managers felt that were the need for someone upfront with that extra technique and creativity.

That role started to die out as ball possession became more important. Managers needed more men in midfield which meant that they expected more out of their striker then simply score goals. then simply score goals.These days you struggle to find goal poachers anymore. We've got one in Lukaku but there's hardly anyone around.

Berbatov was nowhere near to Cantona let alone Baggio. Having said that while questions regarding his workrate are justified, its also true that he was comfortable in a role that was dying away. In fact other players were in similar circumstances and were struggling (ex Cassano). Meanwhile other players with a different skillset were moved around in other roles. Tevez for example who had great workrate become more of a no 10, Rooney became a lone striker while SAF tried to persuade Danny Welbeck to move on the flanks.

If Berba played in the 90s then he would have probably been at par to Bergkamp.
Great post.
Disagree with the Bergkamp comment though, I think Berbatov lacked his physicality and mentality.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Superb first touch even though he looked like he couldn’t be bothered most of the time, great footballer

Rockets Redglare

I don’t think there’s many other players who would have the audacity to try that, never mind pull it off.

Minkaro

That is beautiful. Everything about how he hits the ball screams "eh, feck it, worth a go."

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think Berba would fit in really well in Ole's current setup. He could play false 9/ the tip of the diamond. He would give us extra creativity and excellent hold up play, which helps against deep defences.

I remember him being particularly useful for that. That kind of player would have helped enormously against Wolves

Ekeke

I think Berba would fit in really well in Ole's current setup. He could play false 9/ the tip of the diamond. He would give us extra creativity and excellent hold up play, which helps against deep defences.

I remember him being particularly useful for that. That kind of player would have helped enormously against Wolves
:lol:

Our current player at the top of the diamond has the legs and effort to run back and cover Pogba. Berbatov is much less suited to do that than Lingard

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
:lol:

Our current player at the top of the diamond has the legs and effort to run back and cover Pogba. Berbatov is much less suited to do that than Lingard
We don't need someone to run back and cover for Pogba. That sounds like something Mourinho would require. Especially against a deep defence we need creativity not a knock off Thomas Muller.