g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Best 'all-round' Footballer Ever?

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Yes, in my view.

Maybe you could bracket him with the usual suspects like Pele, Maradonna and Messi.
None of those are considered complete players. So, I think he is out of place here.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
None of those are considered complete players. So, I think he is out of place here.
Best was the complete player. He could shoot, pass, dribble, head the ball and tackle as well if not better than anyone.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I reckon Zidane could play anywhere. He just chose not to.

Needham

Brazil 82. Pretty sure you could have allocated them random positions to play and then asked them to interchange throughout the match and they'd all still have looked comfortable. That said, they lost to Italy.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Doesn't every sport have a few physical freaks who clearly are allrounders and still sensational players? Lebron James in Basketball for example?

How would you describe Matthäus for example? He was exceptional as an attacking midfielder with a great goalscoring record, played the majority of his career as a box to box midfielder doing everything. Passing, scoring, tackling, reading the game, dribbling. He did a great man-marking job on Maradona, when he was asked to, and was a damn fine libero towards the end of his career organising the defense, spraying the ball as a deep lying playmaker. Isn't he a jack of all traits, just one who happens to be freakishly brilliant at everything?
Freaks are considered as outliers and generally not included, but Yea maybe there are a few. Even those are best known for their best positions, I think?

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
didnt watch enough of Pele and Maradona to say much but saying that Messi isnt complete is more then just wrong, its ridiculous!
The guy is pretty much the best midfielder, winger and striker in the world in the same time! Dont think there was anyone in the history of the game that had so many qualities on such a high level.
Team player, unselfish and yet he scores for fun + he can score any type of goal as well. Left foot, right foot, header. His heading ability is pretty damn good but obviously he isnt using that talent often for obvious reasons.
He is fast, mobile and strong as feck, he maybe looks slim and as a kid but in a 50:50 there is only few players that i would back against him.
Dont think we need to spend words about his talents on the ball and his talents off the ball, lets just say he is probably the best false nine in history of the game, tactical role where off the ball movement is crucial.
And there is the most debatable one, his defending. Unlike his others talents, this one isnt on God level but he i still a pretty decent defender when he wants to be, takes the ball off you in a very clean fashion. I would argue that his defending is at least equal to lets say Keane/Vieira dribbling skills or Zanetti's scoring/playmaking skills etc.

At this moment in time i think Alaba(obviously not counting Messi) is probably the most complete player out there and from the history its probably Cruyff from what i seen but i watched Cruyff more then any other great from the past so it isnt really a fair fight :D

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
didnt watch enough of Pele and Maradona to say much but saying that Messi isnt complete is more then just wrong, its ridiculous!
The guy is pretty much the best midfielder, winger and striker in the world in the same time! Dont think there was anyone in the history of the game that had so many qualities on such a high level.
Team player, unselfish and yet he scores for fun + he can score any type of goal as well. Left foot, right foot, header. His heading ability is pretty damn good but obviously he isnt using that talent often for obvious reasons.
He is fast, mobile and strong as feck, he maybe looks slim and as a kid but in a 50:50 there is only few players that i would back against him.
Dont think we need to spend words about his talents on the ball and his talents off the ball, lets just say he is probably the best false nine in history of the game, tactical role where off the ball movement is crucial.
And there is the most debatable one, his defending. Unlike his others talents, this one isnt on God level but he i still a pretty decent defender when he wants to be, takes the ball off you in a very clean fashion. I would argue that his defending is at least equal to lets say Keane/Vieira dribbling skills or Zanetti's scoring/playmaking skills etc.

At this moment in time i think Alaba(obviously not counting Messi) is probably the most complete player out there and from the history its probably Cruyff from what i seen but i watched Cruyff more then any other great from the past so it isnt really a fair fight :D
Guys like Di Stefano and Beckenbauer were way more complete.

Šjor Bepo

Guys like Di Stefano and Beckenbauer were way more complete.
Debatable. Its really hard to judge someone you dont watch week by week but even if they are more complete that doesnt mean Messi isnt.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus

Messi is probably the most complete attacker to have played the game. His defending in games is probably why he's not on the top of the list as he doesn't do much of it.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Messi is probably the most complete attacker to have played the game. His defending in games is probably why he's not on the top of the list as he doesn't do much of it.
the only time i've seen Messi running back to his own half, was running after Kaka... and its wasn't pretty.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
but saying that Messi isnt complete is more then just wrong, its ridiculous!
Well, if we look at the question in the op:
Talking about a footballer who could do everything, defend and attack. Who's your choice?
Then I'm not sure how you can argue that Messi can defend and attack. He's obviously a complete forward, but that's a different story.

Šjor Bepo

Is this a joke?
unfortunately not :(

im aware that this days he isnt doing much but that doesnt mean he is poor at it. In earlier days he did his fair share in barcelonas high press game.

Well, if we look at the question in the op:

Then I'm not sure how you can argue that Messi can defend and attack. He's obviously a complete forward, but that's a different story.
my mistake for not reading the OP but then we aint looking for the most all-round player. We are looking for the best defender among forwards and best attacker among defenders.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
my mistake for not reading the OP but then we aint looking for the most all-round player. We are looking for the best defender among forwards and best attacker among defenders.
No, we're looking for someone who contributed heavily in all phases of the game. That doesn't have to be a forward or a defender.

Šjor Bepo

No, we're looking for someone who contributed heavily in all phases of the game. That doesn't have to be a forward or a defender.
well, nobody contributed in all phases.....by the look of things we are limiting xy number of phases as long the player dipped his fingers in both big areas of the game, attacking and defending.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
unfortunately not :(

im aware that this days he isnt doing much but that doesnt mean he is poor at it. In earlier days he did his fair share in barcelonas high press game.
True, however since Guardiola left he doesn't press any where near as much as he used to.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
well, nobody contributed in all phases.....by the look of things we are limiting xy number of phases as long the player dipped his fingers in both big areas of the game, attacking and defending.
That's not true.

ghagua

John O'Shea. Played in every position in the team, even in goal. Don't remember any other player playing so many roles.

Charlie Foley

For the people saying you can't mention Keane. He played centre half alongside (I think) Bruce a few times, and played well. He also right mid early on, and when we first signed him I'm pretty sure he was seen as an attacking midfielder. Although, he says he improved his game when he realized his role wasn't about getting forward so much.

His dribbling is probably what would exclude him, though I do recall seeing him drive past opponents quite a bit.