Best and worst players of the season so far?

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Who're your best and worst players of the season so far and why?
Slim picking for the best, I know. As we haven't been good so far, and this is reflected in how we view the players.

I think best is between Dalot and Garnacho. I'd probably go Dalot because he's performances have mostly been between okay to very good. He's even scored a match winner. I can only remember two goals conceded that he's directed responsible for. The galatasaray one against Zaha and another game where he left the post on a corner kick when he shouldn't have. Garnacho has produced some really good/brilliant moments however still shows his age as can be expected, with some very frustrating performances.

The worst is between Rashford, Antony and Onana. It comes down to expectation, delivery and consequence. I'd go Onana as some of his performances have really cost us, more than anyone else's have. Thoughts?

Last edited:

GazTheLegend

Dalot, Mainoo and Hojlund for me. Dalot's surprised me because there's a footballer in there - if you told me that last year or the year before I'd have said you were watching a different sport.

Garnacho's been good too, arguably on the same level as McTominay but for different reasons. Generally I'd say we've been absolutely shite at the back, and even yesterday Maguire made some absolute howlers which on another day would have cost us big time.

Still have a LOT of improvement left to do to start winning things and progressing of course but I'm a lot happier now than I was at the start of December with the state of our side.

justsomebloke

Who're your best and worst players of the season so far and why?
Slim picking for the best, I know. As we haven't been good so far, and this is reflected in how we view the players.

I think best is between Dalot and Garnacho. I'd probably go Dalot because he's performances have mostly been between okay to very good. He's even scored a match winner. I can only remember two goals conceded that he's directed responsible for. The galatasaray one against Zaha and another game where he left the post on a corner kick when he shouldn't have. Garnacho has produced some really good/brilliant moments however still shows his age as can be expected, with some very frustrating performances.

The worst is between Rashford, Antony and Onana. It comes down to expectation, delivery and consequence. I'd go Onana as some of his performances have really cost us, more than anyone else's have. Thoughts?
Depends if it's best/worst relative to expectation or previously shown best level, or best/worst in an absolute, plain sense.

If the first, then it's between Mainoo and Garnacho for best, while Casemiro or Mount stands out for worst.

If the latter, then it's Bruno or Martinez (as little as he's played) for best, Amrabat, Martial or Hannibal for worst.

tomaldinho1

Yeah depends on what you're asking.

Overall best performance when taking into account my perception of them at the start of the season: McT
Overall best all round: Hojlund (between him and Garnacho but Hojlund had a storming CL campaign)
Worst when taking into account perception at start of season: Rashford
Worst overall: difficult, I'd say Onana for the CL hands down and Antony for PL

As an edit, I think Licha is by far our 'best' player but he's not really played that much

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Best - Martinez is the only one who really raises us up a level. Dalot, Shaw, Fernandes, Varane, Maguire, Mainoo, McTominay and Garnacho have all been decent.
Worst - Antony. Rashford has had a very bad season but has still offered more. Martial is in the conversation as well.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Best: Garnacho and Mainoo
Worst: Onana and Antony

Disagree with Dalot being amongst the best. He's had some calamitous performances in the CL vs Galatasaray and Copenhagen, and has been poor defensively in some PL games, whilst also failing to improve upon his poor crossing ability. Although his ball carrying ability has been decent to good in plenty of games, and I do like the way he tucks into midfield, I wouldn't say he makes it into the top 3 best performers this season.

justsomebloke

Yeah depends on what you're asking.

Overall best performance when taking into account my perception of them at the start of the season: McT
Overall best all round: Hojlund (between him and Garnacho but Hojlund had a storming CL campaign)
Worst when taking into account perception at start of season: Rashford
Worst overall: difficult, I'd say Onana for the CL hands down and Antony for PL

As an edit, I think Licha is by far our 'best' player but he's not really played that much
Seriously, Højlund best all round? A striker who's scored what 3 PL goals and doesn't really contribute much beyond scoring goals? Or McT for that matter. He's score a few goals, but I really don't think he's been among our better players, never mind the best.

Good point about Rashford worst relative to perception though. Don't know how I didn't think of that.

Nickelodeon

Best: Garnacho. Slim pickings but he's the only one who has shown a modicum of consistency.
Worst: Antony. No redeeming qualities at all.

tomaldinho1

Seriously, Højlund best all round? A striker who's scored what 3 PL goals and doesn't really contribute much beyond scoring goals? Or McT for that matter. He's score a few goals, but I really don't think he's been among our better players, never mind the best.

Good point about Rashford worst relative to perception though. Don't know how I didn't think of that.
McT you need to read the context for in my post.

Yes, Hojlund I would say has been a good player in quite a disappointing season so far. Top scorer with 10 in all comps and a couple of assists (which is the same as Garnacho FYI).

You said Dalot (he's been decent but very up and down like everyone) and Garnacho (who has really come good the last few weeks). Hojlund was great in the CL and has been good the last few weeks as well. There's not much between Garnacho and Hojlund for me, but I'd go with thee big lad up top. Hardest position to play and he's en route to having a really solid season now.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If I was to do a top three for each it would be:

Best:

Garnacho - I think he wins this by default by clearly giving a shit, and even whilst still learning his trade he is the biggest threat we have. Not the best footballer by any stretch of the imagination, but when you work that hard, things naturally fall into place.

Mainoo - His calmness and simple approach to the game sprinkled with moments of absolute quality, at his age, in that area of the pitch is a breath of fresh air. Had he played more football I’m sure I’d have him ahead of Garnacho.

Bruno - Not his best season, but is available most of the time and over the last few weeks he’s just calmed down. We play better when he uses his brain. Pound for pound he is our best player, but without the steel of Casemiro and the pure footballing ability of Martinez to connect with, he is susceptible to pure brainlessness.

Special mentions: Hojlund - the trajectory he’s on is very promising. Always knew he would come good, and you just wonder if he got a bit more luck with some of the disallowed goals and clear fouls earlier in the season, would he have done a bit more sooner?

Dalot - still capable of brainlessness like his compatriot, but since the turn of the year he’s played the inverted role very well and he’s been involved in a lot of our goals this season, be it scoring important goals, a few assists or ‘assisting the assisted’.

Martinez (since his recent return) - his performances since the recent return have been elite. We will miss him if he’s out for an extended break and it will most likely result in the return of brainlessness and shit on a stick football.

Maguire (pre-injury) - Martinez is better at everything other than being tall, but when we were under pressure against anyone, Maguire played well. Useful to have in the squad.

Worst:

Onana - He cost us in the CL and it worries me that we have a keeper who can’t make an extraordinary save almost ever. Even with the return of Martinez and Casemiro, I’m yet to see much of his footballing ability either. Doesn’t feel like an upgrade on his predecessor. Will be delighted if he turns it around and comes good.

Antony - I have zero time for him, and I’m in utter despair when he starts, although I must admit I would’ve been satisfied if he started instead of Rashford against Wolves…but of course Marcus scored the goal and played well.

I’m sure Antony works hard and is professional around the place, but he has no exceptional attribute to command a starting role for United. He and Jadon Sancho should be moved on, even if the loss is as big as expected.

Rashford - He has generally been pathetic this season. It’s not my place to know what is going on in his private life which may be a factor in this, but to go from the moments of last season to the laziness of this season is unforgivable.

Special mentions:

Varane - I often find his 1v1 defending to be on the pathetic side. A man of his experience should do much better. Also seems to be half the player if he doesn’t line up with Martinez. Said it before and will say it again, this version of Varane is very replaceable and I imagine that will happen. Of course, as noted, when he plays with Martinez he’s not bad!

Martial - He’s still here. It makes no sense.

McTominay - He has a purpose, and in that bench impact role to go and be a nuisance he’s very good. When we relied upon him in the middle of the season and there was a need for him to try to play some football, he hindered us. Tactically I think he plays out a plan, so some of it is on the manager, but during that rough run last year, his cowardice in possession and laziness in defensive transition was a real issue. Not my cup of tea and never will be.

CallyRed

Atleast Onana has won us a game. Whether that is saving a last minute pen or punching strikers in the face, he has contributed to wins.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Best overall - Jonny Evans - Man has made 19 appearances so far this season, which is 19 more then anyone expected, and he's barely put a foot wrong in any of them, However Garnacho will probably take over him soon I think.

Most improved/surprising - from where he started the season to right now, Maguire

Best individual performance in a game - Varane vs. Liverpool

Most disappointing - Rashford for obvious reasons

Worst: Its between Onana and Antony, but I give the edge to Onana who's had a more detrimental effect I feel, especially in the Champions Leauge.

justsomebloke

McT you need to read the context for in my post.

Yes, Hojlund I would say has been a good player in quite a disappointing season so far. Top scorer with 10 in all comps and a couple of assists (which is the same as Garnacho FYI).

You said Dalot (he's been decent but very up and down like everyone) and Garnacho (who has really come good the last few weeks). Hojlund was great in the CL and has been good the last few weeks as well. There's not much between Garnacho and Hojlund for me, but I'd go with thee big lad up top. Hardest position to play and he's en route to having a really solid season now.
Didn't say Dalot - I said Mainoo and Garnacho, but that was relative to expectation/previous top level. For just plain best, that's fairly obviously to me Bruno, or Martinez. Bruno is the key cog in whatever we manage offensively, game after game after game. Højlund barely has any impact whatsoever, unless he scores. Which in most cases he hasn't. While Martinez dependably raises the level of our defensive game AND our ability to transition out of defence.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Atleast Onana has won us a game. Whether that is saving a last minute pen or punching strikers in the face, he has contributed to wins.
Made a great save against West Ham as well in the first half and had a solid game. Against Wolves he was dodgy, possibly another penalty given away for coming into a crowd of players. Strange that he comes through the crowd against wolves yet against Spurs he was stuck to the goal line when 2 balls into the box landed on the 5 yard line and cost us 2 goals.

I do think he has been the worst player for us this season though due to the amount of games he has cost us on his own.
Antony has been very poor and needs shifting on, won’t recoup much money for him but better than keeping him and wasting money on wages and his value lowering until he leaves for free.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
BEST
Bruno
is quietly having a good season amidst the shitstorm. Dalot has been solid. Garnacho has been a breath of fresh air and has recently become one of our best players as well. Out of these 3 I would probably pick Bruno because his job has been harder.

WORST
Onana
has had a very rough start to his United career. Rashford has been invisible, lazy and undisciplined, although he might be turning a corner now. Antony has been a disaster and will probably go down as the worst signing post Fergie. There are many other players who have delivered poorly, but these 3 stand out to me because of expectations and playtime. Whoever you pick, you're not wrong.

tomaldinho1

Didn't say Dalot - I said Mainoo and Garnacho, but that was relative to expectation/previous top level. For just plain best, that's fairly obviously to me Bruno, or Martinez. Bruno is the key cog in whatever we manage offensively, game after game after game. Højlund barely has any impact whatsoever, unless he scores. Which in most cases he hasn't. While Martinez dependably raises the level of our defensive game AND our ability to transition out of defence.
Apologies I read the quote in your post, not your post itself.

Bruno I feel has been very up and down and had some really really bad games. He's likely on par with someone like Dalot for me this season. Martinez is our best player, for sure, but he just hasn't played enough to include in my opinion. I have no doubt he'd be my pick if he hadn't been out so long.

Mainoo again hasn't really played much and whilst the other day he was superb, he's not been amazing every game. It's more his potential and skillset that excites me and a certain amount if inconsistency is expected (as it is with Hojlund).

In my mind we have a trio of exciting kids, Mainoo, Hojlund, Garnacho, who have all had positive campaigns so far. Any one of them could be a good shout but I think Hojlund bearing in mind where he plays and the CL run edges it.

Also amazing how Sancho has snuck out of this one, he is probably my #1 disappointment this season

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Also amazing how Sancho has snuck out of this one, he is probably my #1 disappointment this season
This might just be me, but I don't really consider him a United player anymore (same with Greenwood). Although if Ten Hag gets sacked before we sell him then I might have to reconsider.... "Like a new signing" :nervous:

AnotherLondonManc

Onana is the worst and there's no debate. Antony has been ineffective, but he hasn't single handedly cost us points and knocked us out of Europe. Other players have been as poor as Antony, but haven't featured as much, or haven't had the spotlight on them. AWB and Erikson for example.

Best is probably Mainoo, surprisingly. I don't think any other player can claim to have averaged at least a 6 out of 10 for performances, and the winner against Wolves pushed him to the top for me. Honourable mentions for Dalot, Garnacho and Bruno

mu4c_20le

Best

Garnacho - standout season, carrying us at 19
Mainoo - slotted into the senior side as if he belonged there

Worst

Onana - modern reenactment of keeping and persisting with Taibi
Antony - say what you want about rashford but he has five goals. this guy is still 0 g/a in the league.

NLunited

Best: we are just starting to get our first eleven back, but Dalot, Shaw, Mainoo, Hojlund and Garnacho are looking solid.

Martinez looks class, losing him is big blow.

Worst: Antony followed by Rashford.

Hammondo

Best

Garnacho - standout season, carrying us at 19
Mainoo - slotted into the senior side as if he belonged there

Worst

Onana - modern reenactment of keeping and persisting with Taibi
Antony - say what you want about rashford but he has five goals. this guy is still 0 g/a in the league.
Problem with comparing Antony to Rashford is that Rashford has played a lot more, I think equally as bad for different reasons.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Best: Dalot, Mainoo, Garnacho

Worst: Onana, Antony, Bruno

Pretty straightforward for me. Garnacho has had periods where he's the only effective attacker in the team and his production for a teenager so far has been outstanding for us, especially with his recent move to the right wing. Dalot has quietly been extremely good and very rarely has truly "bad" games, and he's easily the most underrated player in the squad as majority of the Cafe still thinks he's shit these days (I assume because he can't cross). Mainoo has played the least of the 3 but essentially saved our midfield from complete chaos since coming in and personally I think is the best overall midfielder in the squad already (which is more of an indictment on the squad and less of me overrating Mainoo).

For worst, Onana is an obvious one as he's simply been terrible this year from a shot stopping POV and far worse than he ever was before moving here. I also have been let down by his distribution. While it's been better than DDG by a mile, I expected him to be brilliant playing out from the back but he's mostly just been "pretty good" and it hasn't made up for the howlers he's conceded. Antony is probably the worst attacker in the PL so he's a no brainer choice. Not much else to say with him. My Bruno choice might shock some people but I think he's been largely poor this year which is disappointing as I was quite pleased with how he played last year. His role is a bit different as we've moved to the single pivot most games so he's not as much of a true roaming 10, but I've been really disappointed in his lack of composure in many games especially as our midfield around him already lacked it. His inclusion is less of a numbers choice (our attack has been mostly crap so I don't care that he isn't assisting everything) and more of a note on his overall play. Of the 3 though he's obviously the one that can turn it around the easiest and really get going the second half of the season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Best is probably between Dalot and Garnacho. I expect Hojlund, Martinez and maybe even Casemiro to join them soon.
Mainoo has not played enough to put him in the "best" bracket but he might as well be top end of the season.

Bruno has been up and down, I think he's having a poor season for his standards but this is because we're using him the wrong way and nobody (Bruno/team) benefits on that.

Too many candidates for the worst but I think Antony steals the show.

Robertd0803

Best-Garnacho/Mainoo.

Honorable mentions-Evans.

Worst-Onana, Antony and Rashford. Im going to add in Mount here as well despite him not playing purely because he hasnt played despite spending the majority of the budget on him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Best : Garnacho Mainoo Hojlund

Worst : Rashford Bruno Martial

Irwin99

Garnacho maybe? Dalot? Some players have had decent periods of form such as Evans, Maguire, even McTominay if you're looking at goals, but it hasn't been enough to be anything special. Bruno will likely finish the season with another 10 goals and 10 assists but again it's not been outstanding.

Considering his performances in the champions league and the fact that he's starting to score more goals, Hojlund might be in with a shout for our POTY if he keeps his recent form up

Worst players would be Antony, Onana and Rashford sadly :(

NLunited

Contender for worst post in this thread.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
BEST
Bruno is quietly having a good season amidst the shitstorm. Dalot has been solid. Garnacho has been a breath of fresh air and has recently become one of our best players as well. Out of these 3 I would probably pick Bruno because his job has been harder.
:wenger: Read that as something that rhymes.Now I can’t unread it

Andy_Cole

Best
Mainoo, Garnacho, Bruno, Hoijlund, McT, Maguire, Evans

Worst
Onana, Rashford, Antony, Sancho, Mount

Andersons Dietician

Pretty hard to pick as no one has really put a consistent run of form and at times people have looked like utter trash one week, then looked decent the next. I honestly don’t even think I could pick one. Maybe Dalot mainly because he has been available and fewer games where he looked like the dogs dinner.

Lexicon Red Devil

Pretty hard to pick as no one has really put a consistent run of form and at times people have looked like utter trash one week, then looked decent the next. I honestly don’t even think I could pick one. Maybe Dalot mainly because he has been available and fewer games where he looked like the dogs dinner.
He's scored a couple of decent goals, but has been absolutely shocking defensively on many occasions. The worst couple I remember were his tracking back in the spanking by Newcastle in the League Cup and also totally switching off to let his man in against Copenhagen.

He's had various moments just as poor those that haven't been punished and he can't seem to put a decent cross in to save his life.

It's either Mainoo, Garnacho or Højlund for me. They have the excuse of being young which the others don't have and have also outperformed them for the most part.

edgecutter

How has Mount not been mention as the worst? A player that cost 60 million and rarely played.

The Bloody-Nine

Pretty depressing that anyone would suggest Hojlund as one of our best. He's been no better than average, given the fee. Recency bias is a real thing.

Best: Mainoo and Nacho.

Worst: Onana, Antony, Rashford.