Best Christmas film ever

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
What do you like best? Whatever it is is fecking terrible ;)

I'm going It's a Wonderful Life and Die Hard. Preferably in a double-bill.
Ok I take it back. It is actually great story.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"You'll shoot your eye out!"

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
"In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."

caid

I've been watching Casablance last few years. Just suits my mood for post lunch, slightly drunk, crash on sofa.
Been watching ridiculously long movies that i never normally get a chance to watch too
Laurence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Gone with the Wind. Nothing springs to mind for this year

buchansleftleg

I know it's cheesy as feck and overacted, but it's Jimmy Stewart overacting we're talking about.
People underestimate how brave James Stewart was in his acting in It's a wonderful life.

He was portraying a suicidal man in 1946 - an incredibly brave choice in an era when suicide was still seen as a mortal sin, never mind being a marginalised / under-reported statistic.

Also remember this film was also shot just after the war ended and was his first film after he had finished flying B24's on bombing missions over Germany winning numerous medals and volunteering to fly extra missions than he needed to. He could have coasted in the Air force film unit but he actively campaigned to see active service as his family had done in previous American wars

He actually experienced A Post Traumatic Stress Disorder reaction while filming and this is what you see on screen - raw brutal emotion and desperation that he saw in colleagues exposed to the horrors of war.

That's not overacting

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
People underestimate how brave James Stewart was in his acting in It's a wonderful life.

He was portraying a suicidal man in 1946 - an incredibly brave choice in an era when suicide was still seen as a mortal sin, never mind being a marginalised / under-reported statistic.

Also remember this film was also shot just after the war ended and was his first film after he had finished flying B24's on bombing missions over Germany winning numerous medals and volunteering to fly extra missions than he needed to. He could have coasted in the Air force film unit but he actively campaigned to see active service as his family had done in previous American wars

He actually experienced A Post Traumatic Stress Disorder reaction while filming and this is what you see on screen - raw brutal emotion and desperation that he saw in colleagues exposed to the horrors of war.

That's not overacting
Fair enough, I should pay due respect to the context in which the film was made.

That said I find some of Stewart's lines when he's in the grips of confusion ('Mary!' 'dontcha know me?!') hilarious and eminently quotable in his voice.

It's a moving film beyond doubt but to me there are funny moments both intentional and unintentional, the latter mostly brought on by the gusto-filled, stagey style of the acting (which I find from all kinds of films from the period, not just IAWL).

buchansleftleg

Fair enough, I should pay due respect to the context in which the film was made.

That said I find some of Stewart's lines when he's in the grips of confusion ('Mary!' 'dontcha know me?!') hilarious and eminently quotable in his voice.

It's a moving film beyond doubt but to me there are funny moments both intentional and unintentional, the latter mostly brought on by the gusto-filled, stagey style of the acting (which I find from all kinds of films from the period, not just IAWL).
no problem -it's often just presented as a twee Christmas movie and that winds me up! Yes acting was more melodramatic then, this was filmed one year before the "actors Studio" was set up, that championed the "method" approach that is more subtle.

Giggsy92

Jingle All the Way. Can only assume it hasn't been mentioned so far because it's just too obvious.