Best day of sporting drama ever?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Do you mean the Saturday when GB won 6 golds inc 3 athletic golds with Ennis, Farah and Rutherford? It truely was a great day that and probably my favourite sporting day football aside.
My apology. Super Saturday. I couldn't think straight after the cricket...

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Yeah, this day was amazing,
It certainly was, people forget it was all started in the morning with 2 rowing golds before the womens pursuit team cruised to a cycling gold medal. The atmosphere in the stadium that night was electric, you could almost feel the energy coming out the tv screen.

Skills

Snitch
Yes it was the Saturday.
It's difficult to pick the better of the two enormous occasions. Yesterday's drama or 2012. Time will tell but because the whole world was watching in 2012 and cricket isn't a world sport I suspect super Saturday just clinches it.
Only the events they were interested in. I don't think most of the world would've noticed.

The US rack up about 60 gold's every olympics, surely they have one of these 'super saturdays' every olympics?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Only the events they were interested in. I don't think most of the world would've noticed.

The US rack up about 60 gold's every olympics, surely they have one of these 'super saturdays' every olympics?
I'm pretty sure the world wide TV audience would have been bigger for Super Saturday.

On the world stage Cricket is a niche sport. The USA have 5 times the population of the UK to yes they would have plenty "super Saturdays". Somebody mentioned Jessie Owens wining in Munich in front of Hitler. I suspect this would have to be the most dramatic sporting event ever.

Classical Mechanic

I'm pretty sure the world wide TV audience would have been bigger for Super Saturday.

On the world stage Cricket is a niche sport. The USA have 5 times the population of the UK to yes they would have plenty "super Saturdays". Somebody mentioned Jessie Owens wining in Munich in front of Hitler. I suspect this would have to be the most dramatic sporting event ever.
Cricket isn't a niche sport, its the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in the world. 1/5th of the world's population reside in India & Pakistan.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Cricket isn't a niche sport, its the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in the world. 1/5th of the world's population reside in India & Pakistan.
It's niche.

So you accept 80% of the worlds population live outside India & Pakistan. They don't play it on the continent, in the USA, Russia, China and many, many other countries. It's not the main sport here and even in Australia it's not the main sport.

I'm not here to dis cricket but it's not a world sport whereas athletics pretty much is. On this basis I think it is reasonable to assume Super Saturday was a larger sporting event than the cricket world cup final.

Classical Mechanic

It's niche.

So you accept 80% of the worlds population live outside India & Pakistan. They don't play it on the continent, in the USA, Russia, China and many, many other countries. It's not the main sport here and even in Australia it's not the main sport.

I'm not here to dis cricket but it's not a world sport whereas athletics pretty much is. On this basis I think it is reasonable to assume Super Saturday was a larger sporting event than the cricket world cup final.
It isn’t niche. It’s the national sport of more countries than any other sport. It’s consistently ranked as the 2nd or 3rd most popular sport in the world. The cricket World Cup is the 3rd most watched sports event in the world.

Here’s a ranking using 13 different factors to determine the biggest sport and cricket comes third.

https://www.totalsportek.com/most-popular-sports/

To describe it as a ‘niche’ sport is just so incredibly wrong, it’s exactly the opposite of a niche sport because it’s followed by billions.

‘Super Saturday’ only had relevance to the UK. Very few other countries would care how many golds we won on that day, not to mention that Rutherford and Ennis compete in some of the least popular athletics events.

All that said, super Saturday was my favourite sporting day of all time.

MarylandMUFan

For American sports drama, it's hard to beat June 17th, 1994:
Film Summary
Do you remember where you were on June 17, 1994? Thanks to a wide array of unrelated, coast-to-coast occurrences, this Friday has come to be known for its firsts, lasts, triumphs and tragedy. Arnold Palmer played his last round at a U.S. Open, in Oakmont, Pa., the FIFA World Cup kicked off in Chicago, the Rangers celebrated on Broadway, Patrick Ewing desperately pursued a long evasive championship in the Garden and Donald Fehr stared down the baseball owners. And yet, all of that was a prelude to O.J. Simpson leading America on a slow speed chase in a white Ford Bronco around Los Angeles. Oscar-nominated and Peabody Award-winning director Brett Morgen will artistically weave these moments and others to create a unique and reflective look at a day that no sports fan could forget

http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=june-17th-1994