Music Best ever music concerts?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
My best ever was probably Rage against the machine at a big festival in Ireland in 2008 I think it was. The whole place was gone daft before they even played a note. So much craic. Too many others to mention. All my money goes on music and travel.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Every Maiden concert in Chile is epic, but this one in 2009 was truly special and spectacular. The energy levels were ridiculous. 70.000 souls synchronized and flowing in the same wavelength.

Hoof the ball

I was a kid at Michael Jackson at Wembley in '88. Doesn't get any more iconic than that. Saw Prince a few times; can honestly say he consistently put on the best shows.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Best (favourite) I’ve ever seen were
1. Oasis at Main Road. Incredible atmosphere.
2. Orbital at glasto 1994
3. Muse at O2 in 2019

Gig I wish I’d most been at was Chemical Brothers at Glasto 2019. Watched that on iplayer and it rocked.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
David Byrne's American Utopia tour was incredible. As a jaded, old fart I thought I'd seen it all but that gig blew me away.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Top 3 for me are
AC/DC Wembley 2009
Foo Fighters Emptihad 2019
FunLoving Criminals Glastonbury (can’t remember the year)

notable mentions to Bowie, Human League and Muse.

decorativeed

Best (favourite) I’ve ever seen were
1. Oasis at Main Road. Incredible atmosphere.
2. Orbital at glasto 1994
3. Muse at O2 in 2019

Gig I wish I’d most been at was Chemical Brothers at Glasto 2019. Watched that on iplayer and it rocked.
I was at that. Just turned 16, it was only the third gig I'd ever been to. Was incredible, and watching the video, I can't believe I ever went to something like that, as I've never been to a stadium gig since. Obviously, almost immediately after that, they became a steaming pile of shite, but at that moment they were a phenomenon.

A year later I saw Foo Fighters at the Apollo, at the height of their powers (again, almost everything they released after that was pretty rubbish).

Reading Festival in 1998 was unbelievable. Headliners were Beastie Boys, Page and Plant, New Order, Prodigy. Smaller stages had Spiritualized (before Jason Pierce sacked the band and became boring), Mogwai, Grandaddy, Sleater Kinney, Elliot Smith, Yo La Tengo, etc. It was so up my street, I never went to another festival, as I'd come to the false impression that they were all meant to be as good, and any other line-up paled in comparison.

Volumiza

I was at that. Just turned 16, it was only the third gig I'd ever been to. Was incredible, and watching the video, I can't believe I ever went to something like that, as I've never been to a stadium gig since. Obviously, almost immediately after that, they became a steaming pile of shite, but at that moment they were a phenomenon.

A year later I saw Foo Fighters at the Apollo, at the height of their powers (again, almost everything they released after that was pretty rubbish).

Reading Festival in 1998 was unbelievable. Headliners were Beastie Boys, Page and Plant, New Order, Prodigy. Smaller stages had Spiritualized (before Jason Pierce sacked the band and became boring), Mogwai, Grandaddy, Sleater Kinney, Elliot Smith, Yo La Tengo, etc. It was so up my street, I never went to another festival, as I'd come to the false impression that they were all meant to be as good, and any other line-up paled in comparison.
Agreed that Main Road was Oasis absolute peak. I actually saw them in derby a few years earlier and that was a fantastic raw gig but the air at Main Road was electric.

I would actually place Spiritualised on their ladies and gentleman tour at rock city in notts as another great. They were brilliant.

decorativeed

Agreed that Main Road was Oasis absolute peak. I actually saw them in derby a few years earlier and that was a fantastic raw gig but the air at Main Road was electric.

I would actually place Spiritualised on their ladies and gentleman tour at rock city in notts as another great. They were brilliant.
Yeah, they were still playing the Ladies and Gentlemen stuff at Reading 98. Really good, although I had to choose between them and New Order, as they were playing at the same time. Chose wisely given how Pierce destroyed the band shortly afterwards.

Volumiza

Thinking about it, another of my all time favourites was Goldfrapp at the Heavenly Social in Nottingham, right at the start of their career, playing Felt Mountain.

There were literally only about 20-30 people there, crammed in a tiny room and it was the most intimate gig I’ve ever been to. Alison was visibly shaking with nerves when she came out.

decorativeed

Thinking about it, another of my all time favourites was Goldfrapp at the Heavenly Social in Nottingham, right at the start of their career, playing Felt Mountain.

There were literally only about 20-30 people there, crammed in a tiny room and it was the most intimate gig I’ve ever been to. Alison was visibly shaking with nerves when she came out.
I saw Cat Power back in 1999 and she was obviously terrified of being on stage. Kept trying to walk off, but members of Sleater Kinney were in the wings making sure she played on! A few years later she's on Jules Holland looking like a natural.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I saw Cat Power back in 1999 and she was obviously terrified of being on stage. Kept trying to walk off, but members of Sleater Kinney were in the wings making sure she played on! A few years later she's on Jules Holland looking like a natural.
Wow, you've seen Elliott Smith AND Cat Power live???

How was Elliott live? I've seen a couple of grainy videos from that Reading set, not the best audio quality though.

And Cat Power in 99, so that's Moon Pix era then, how was that? Where was the gig?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Can't say what the best ever is, but my personal favourite is probably Weezer in 2002, they played pretty much all of Blue and Pinkerton, and the singles from Green and Maladroit. No better time to see them, as their recorded output was godawful thereafter.

For completely different reasons, I saw the Kaiser Chiefs play to a room of about 8 people in 2002, with half of the room chanting "who are ya?" between songs. That was a right laugh. Out of all the great bands kicking round the Leeds scene in the early 00's, its unfathomable that they were the ones who got big.

Last edited:

decorativeed

Wow, you've seen Elliott Smith AND Cat Power live???

How was Elliott live? I've seen a couple of grainy videos from that Reading set, not the best audio quality though.

And Cat Power in 99, so that's Moon Pix era then, how was that? Where was the gig?
Neither were particular great live performers, to be honest! I love Moon Pix, and that was what she played mainly, but she was so ill at ease, and that was my main memory of it. After the gig, I went back stage (if you can call it that, it wasn't hard to get into), and she just kind of stood by herself in a corner looking painfully shy. I would have loved to have talked to her, but I was too much in awe, I probably would have made a tit of myself.

I met Carrie Brownstein on the street in Manchester a few days earlier though and had a nice chat with her. Then she kept looking at me and smiling during their set. I honestly didn't know how to react!

A good few years later my mates went to All Tomorrow's Parties and one of my friend's dads spent half an hour sat with a young woman talking about the bands he'd been watching. When she left, my friend asked him what on earth he'd been talking to Cat Power all this time about. He had no idea it was her!

Edit: it was a '10 years of Matador Records' weekender in London when I saw Cat Power. Sharing a bill (and that back room) with Yo La Tengo, Sleater Kinney, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Cornelius etc.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Best I ever saw was Opeth. The intensity, and musicianship was something else, and it was all happening 8 foot in front of me.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Neither were particular great live performers, to be honest! I love Moon Pix, and that was what she played mainly, but she was so ill at ease, and that was my main memory of it. After the gig, I went back stage (if you can call it that, it wasn't hard to get into), and she just kind of stood by herself in a corner looking painfully shy. I would have loved to have talked to her, but I was too much in awe, I probably would have made a tit of myself.

I met Carrie Brownstein on the street in Manchester a few days earlier though and had a nice chat with her. Then she kept looking at me and smiling during their set. I honestly didn't know how to react!

A good few years later my mates went to All Tomorrow's Parties and one of my friend's dads spent half an hour sat with a young woman talking about the bands he'd been watching. When she left, my friend asked him what on earth he'd been talking to Cat Power all this time about. He had no idea it was her!

Edit: it was a '10 years of Matador Records' weekender in London when I saw Cat Power. Sharing a bill (and that back room) with Yo La Tengo, Sleater Kinney, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Cornelius etc.
Cool, thanks for sharing. The Hot Rock-era Sleater-Kinney as well! Nice.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Personal faves are The National at Stoke Sugarmill in 2007, Hope of the States at Keele uni in 2004, Arcade Fire at Glasto 2014 and Sigur Ros at Madison Square Garden in 2006.

Just realised I haven't been to a gig since 2018... :(

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Best I have seen:
AC/DC Back in Black tour 1980 NY Nassau Coliseum
Yes 1978 NY Madison Square Garden
Grateful Dead 1979 NY Madison Square Garden
Stones 1981 NY Byrne Arena
The Clash 1982 NY Shea Stadium
Black Sabbath 1980 ny
Iron Maiden 1981 NY
Judas Priest
1981 NY
Deep Purple 1984 NY
Allman Brothers 1980 NY

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Queen - Manchester 1979
Eurythmics - Hacienda 3rd March 1983
Pink Floyd - Earl's Court 1980
New Order - Hacienda 1983 ish
New Order - Sydney Opera House 2017
David Byrne - ICC Sydney 2018
Midnight Oil - James Cook University Student Union Bar 1996

Last edited:

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Sigur Ros at Jodrell Bank Observatory in 2013 probably the best I've been to.

Minkaro

Blind Guardian and Gloryhammer in 2016 was great. Both bands on top form.

Ayreon in 2017 is my favourite ever concert. Just that it happened at all was amazing, but then it was SO good.

Avantasia 2019. Oh my god they are so good live. Every one of them was on form.

Symphony X 2019. They played The Odyssey!

djembatheking

AC DC Live in Paris 1979 , Bons last gig
Queen Live Aid
The Who Live at Leeds 1970
Led Zep Earls Court 1975
Pulp Glastonbury 1995

Classical Mechanic

This is Faithless live, by far one of the standout live acts I've seen. Although I've never bought a Faithless album and could only name two of their songs from memory when you're high on ecstasy it's pretty incredible.

diarm

Slane 2003 for me. Feeder, Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters and the Chilli Peppers, one after another in the August sun.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
AC DC Live in Paris 1979 , Bons last gig
Queen Live Aid
The Who Live at Leeds 1970
Led Zep Earls Court 1975
Pulp Glastonbury 1995
Well you win. I saw ac/dc with Brian’s first tour. But you seen Bon Scott and the biggest musical regret in my life -not seeing Led Zeppelin

Bondi77

I was a kid at Michael Jackson at Wembley in '88. Doesn't get any more iconic than that. Saw Prince a few times; can honestly say he consistently put on the best shows.
I saw him up at Leeds in the same year and it was pretty good.

edcunited1878

AC/DC at Wrigley Field in Chicago...the energy and atmosphere was unreal. And I couldn't hear out of my right ear for a few days.

Also Jay-Z during a Midwest summer night at Soldier Field in Chicago. I started the morning in London and flew home in time for dinner and the concert. Amazing concert and day overall. Seeing Justin Timberlake perform live that night was impressive too...he's stupid talented.