Best ever tactical fouls

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Saw this on twitter, this should be up there with the best ever. Just have to love the dedication of the defender and attacker.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ole vs Newcastle (:
He said Fergie told him afterwards that "we don't do this". I remember celebrating it at the time, as it was the obvious thing to do. Surprised SAF scolded him for it, but he is a man of principles.

Bogga

When I saw the title I knew that the Ole foul must've been mentioned quite quickly. Best thing is that he just started walking off the field immediately if I remember correctly

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The most iconic I can think of is Ballack in 2002. I even found a cringy video dedicated to it:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ramos in the CL final against Atletico at 7.10

Clear red but cunningly gambled on the ref’s naivety to escape with a yellow. It’s a 3 v 1 for Atletico but Ramos manages to chop the forward as he’s emerging out of a pile of bodies to create enough doubt in the ref’s mind to bottle the decision.

Dominos

Ramos in the CL final against Atletico at 7.10

Clear red but cunningly gambled on the ref’s naivety to escape with a yellow. It’s a 3 v 1 for Atletico but Ramos manages to chop the forward as he’s emerging out of a pile of bodies to create enough doubt in the ref’s mind to bottle the decision.
On what basis are we saying it's a red though? I don't think you could argue that the player he's fouled has a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity, therefore it's a yellow.

If you're claiming red because it's excessive force/dangerous play then I don't see that either.

LARulz

The most iconic I can think of is Ballack in 2002. I even found a cringy video dedicated to it:
Not really sure why he had to do that. It's not the player was completely through on goal or was last minute or something I think

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Not really sure why he had to do that. It's not the player was completely through on goal or was last minute or something I think
To the right a player was wide open and the scoreline was 1-0.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
On what basis are we saying it's a red though? I don't think you could argue that the player he's fouled has a clear and obvious goal scoring opportunity, therefore it's a yellow.

If you're claiming red because it's excessive force/dangerous play then I don't see that either.

It's a 3 v 1. Without the foul there's a 95%+ chance that ends up with a shot on goal with the only the keeper to beat. That's a clear goalscoring opportunity to me.

LARulz

To the right a player was wide open and the scoreline was 1-0.
Still it felt a bit needless if there was still time (again, I can't remember the context exactly so maybe I am wrong)

The Suarez one for me was the best one. It literally got them through and was just hilarious

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Still it felt a bit needless if there was still time (again, I can't remember the context exactly so maybe I am wrong)

The Suarez one for me was the best one. It literally got them through and was just hilarious

The guy on the ball can either play someone through to his left, who can then square it for a tap in or he can even sqaure it himself into the wide open space to his right, that's basically as good an opportunity as you're going to get in a WC semi. I agree that Suarez's foul was "bigger" though, since it prevented a literally safe goal.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Another great one:

Best is Simeone giving him a pad on the back like "Smart one, would`ve done the same" :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Brian Roy or Aaron Winter pulled down someone who went one on one against Ed de Goey and was sent off. We still won the match and qualified for, I think it was the 1994 WC. Think it was against Belarus.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Brian Roy or Aaron Winter pulled down someone who went one on one against Ed de Goey and was sent off. We still won the match and qualified for, I think it was the 1994 WC. Think it was against Belarus.
Winter I think? Definitely Belarus. Was also the first one that came to my mind

Dominos

It's a 3 v 1. Without the foul there's a 95%+ chance that ends up with a shot on goal with the only the keeper to beat. That's a clear goalscoring opportunity to me.
I think the law is intended to cover immediate clear obvious goalscoring opportunies, not potential scoring opportunites if play progresses 50 yards up the field and the player on the ball plays the right pass whilst evades the defender who's goal side.

If VAR was around at the time I'm almost certain that would remain a yellow.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Winter I think? Definitely Belarus. Was also the first one that came to my mind
Think it was Winter too. I always used to confuse those 2. Not anymore though, since Bryan Roy is a Qanon following pizzagate believer whereas Aron winter is, well, I dunno actually.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Think it was Winter too. I always used to confuse those 2. Not anymore though, since Bryan Roy is a Qanon following pizzagate believer whereas Aron winter is, well, I dunno actually.
Christ, didn't know that. Better not to follow footballers outside the football obviously!

Foxbatt

Willie Young on Paul Allen. The red card I think was brought because of this. Young only got a yellow because there was no sending off for that kind of foul then. It was also in the 1980 FA Cup Final West Ham vs Arsenal. West Ham was lucky that they were already 1-0 up by then.

Grande

6.15 into this, I remember how gutted I was, watching this as a kid. Gordon McQueen was playing up top because he had been injured in a bad tackle earlier in the game, and we had used our single allowed sub for Macari I think. I hated Grobbelaar at the moment.

Ibi Dreams

Based on how quickly Ole caught up to the Newcastle player, I reckon he could maybe have actually gone for a clean tackle or block if he'd just kept going. Obviously he didn't want to risk it though which is understandable

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Puyol fouled Robben on last minutes of WC Final. Amazingly no red card for him. Hmm..

RoyH1

Another great one:

Best is Simeone giving him a pad on the back like "Smart one, would`ve done the same" :lol:
Simeone as a player was the absolute master of shithousery and tactical fouling like this, so it was no surprise :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not a foul but Suarez’s goal line save vs Ghana ended up being a worthwhile sacrifice on his part
I was fuming later when pundits and journos talked how it was disgrace, cheating, bla bla. Opinion was (and still is) how it was not fair play move which "crushed Ghana's dreams". Bunch of snowflakes

Mainoldo

He said Fergie told him afterwards that "we don't do this". I remember celebrating it at the time, as it was the obvious thing to do. Surprised SAF scolded him for it, but he is a man of principles.
That was very interesting when I heard that. Funny how managers see things different. Everyone thought Fergie was pleased with it.