Best late peak of all time?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm surprised no one mentioned Diego Costa, he started his career at 52 years old.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No, Pirlo was a great player at Milan, he wasn't better at Juventus. The only strange thing about him is that his last season at Milan looked like he was severely declining but it was a ruse.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Are we talking about late bloomers or about those who had managed to retain an incredible level of performances (that weren’t necessarily better than their original peak) later on in their careers? There seem to be some confusion on the matter.
Per the op, it's the former? Seems to have gotten merged into chat about good players who were good in their 30s

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Puskas was considered the best player in the world at the 1954 World Cup at 27 and destroyed England at Wembley at 26. So I wouldn’t say it was a late peak, just sustained excellence.
Good stuff. Cheers for the info!

MUW4Eva

Sir Stanley Matthews??

Would he not be the ideal fit here??

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Per the op, it's the former? Seems to have gotten merged into chat about good players who were good in their 30s
I’m not sure, especially considering Benzema who was seen a generation talent as a teenager, for example.

“Best late peak” for me would be a best level of performances achieved by an ageing player — like Benzema, Puskás, Di Stéfano, Matthews, Ibrahimović and the likes. Although Benzema & Ibra are rare cases of brilliant players that were better in their 30’s than they were in their 20’s.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I’m not sure, especially considering Benzema who was seen a generation talent as a teenager, for example.

“Best late peak” for me would be a best level of performances achieved by an ageing player — like Benzema, Puskás, Di Stéfano, Matthews, Ibrahimović and the likes. Although Benzema & Ibra are rare cases of brilliant players that were better in their 30’s than they were in their 20’s.
I was just replying to your question about what I'd assumed the op was looking for.

I didn't read it as saying Benzema was an example of a late bloom, I read it as him saying "someone else is saying Benzema is the example, what does the Caf think?"

(Hope all ok in Russia. Keeping ok? Getting tougher there?)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Sheringham in 2001.

Professional Footballers' Association Men's Players' Player of the Year 00-01
The Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year 00-01
The Professional Footballers' Association Team of the Year 00-01

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Di Natale is the correct answer.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
I think that Benzema would have numbers in the hundreds had he not sacrificed himself for Ronaldo. And ultimate team player. He really looks like he could go on for another three or four years at the top.

Denis79

Vardy comes to mind, he played in the lower divisions until he was 25-26? Luca Toni is another.

Tavern in the town

27 year old Xavi was benched in the 2006 Champions League final, by the time he retired he was arguably the best CM of all time.

An outside shout would actually be Ronaldo, I know most people would see his peak in his twenties but for me he was at his most decisive during Madrid’s 3peat in his mid thirties.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I think that Benzema would have numbers in the hundreds had he not sacrificed himself for Ronaldo. And ultimate team player. He really looks like he could go on for another three or four years at the top.
Yeah, people are saying Benzema because they gloss over the fact that he did all the donkey work for Ronaldo to shine. He has always been quality.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
27 year old Xavi was benched in the 2006 Champions League final, by the time he retired he was arguably the best CM of all time.

An outside shout would actually be Ronaldo, I know most people would see his peak in his twenties but for me he was at his most decisive during Madrid’s 3peat in his mid thirties.
He was a bit unlucky that season, as he was a guaranteed starter but did his ligaments in, I think he only came back to fitness a short while before the game. Still a good shout though

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I think Luca Toni or Vardy have to be a shout. They were not even on the radar then became a top players in their countries top divisions well into their 20s.

Mendy at Chelsea is also interesting he was unemployed/in very low division football for a bit of his 20's.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Sheringham?

Did well in early years but at Millwall so a lower level. Didn't get in England team.

26 when first joined Spurs (started England apps), 30ish when he came to us, 32/33? and scored FA Cup Final and European Cup Final goals.
Yeah, he was the one I immediately thought of. Came to us at the age of 31 with the unenviable task of “replacing” the irreplaceable Eric Cantona - I remember being distinctly underwhelmed, as I think other United fans were, but he was great and probably had the best years of his career at United (I might be biased!).