Best player at the World Cup?

RedStarUnited

I dont want to attack u , but that was hard haha

Ronaldo is way more skilled than messi with the ball, his dribblings and skills are better. Messi can run faster and pass better
If that is so, why has Messi scored a lot more dribble based goals than Ronaldo then?

The most effective dribblers usually aren't the ones the use the most "skills".

Revan

Assumptionman
Ronaldo is way more skilled than messi with the ball, his dribblings and skills are better. Messi can run faster and pass better
Well, as long as Messi is injured (or has a bag of 50 kilos on his back), I may agree with this.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think its robben,

Maybe he has a chance of winning World Player against ronaldo?
If Holland wins the World Cup then it should be an easy choice. Robben has been ridiculously good for Bayern during the last 18 months or so, too.

Moby

Dick
In the tournament so far I would say Rodriguez has performed the best, in a team that was missing their best player, they were the only team IMO who consistently performed well. Can't see him winning the award since he went out in the quarters though.

With Neymar being out it will come down to between Messi and Robben. Messi for me, out of those two.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
This is why noobs are fundamentally shit, they take a "best player at World Cup" thread and turn it into Ronaldo vs. Messi version 3 million.

insideman

In the tournament so far I would say Rodriguez has performed the best, in a team that was missing their best player, they were the only team IMO who consistently performed well. Can't see him winning the award since he went out in the quarters though.

With Neymar being out it will come down to between Messi and Robben. Messi for me, out of those two.
Robben has been a lot more convincing than Messi.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Thats my Opinion, u can find messi better , for me CR7 is a morr skilled player.

Anyways in the current state Robben is the player of the World Cup
Yeah, we can definitely agree to disagree on that point. Skilled as in "keepy-ups/stepovers" - yeah maybe CR7 is better. But a more skilled dribbler i.e. in beating players for fun? Not a chance in hell.

Anyway, moving on to the bolded - definitely agreed. Robben's been the MVP this tournament for me. Very close between all 3 as they've literally all carried their teams at times. (a bit less so James - Colombia's support cast were in better form (Spain 5-1 match aside)).
1. Robben
2. James
3. Messi

With James' team out of the WC and 1 of Robben/Messi making it to the finals, I'd expect James to move down to 3.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
Hummels anyone or are defenders forbidden? He was gigantic vs Ghana and France and played well vs USA and Portugal too.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Castrol are doing their play ratings thing again. For those who don't know it, they attempt to apply a weighted ranking based on match stats, like forward pass completion, errors and they try to do it a way that levels things out across all positions.

They say the top dogs so far are:
1. Benzema (yes, really)
2. James
3. Varane
4. T. Silva
5. Hummels
6. Robben

Full lists, and rank by position at
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/index.html

I will say across the league seasons the ranking system usually comes up with a plausible outcome. I'm not sure it works on a tournament scale, but thought it might intrigue the statto fans.

Treble

Castrol are doing their play ratings thing again. For those who don't know it, they attempt to apply a weighted ranking based on match stats, like forward pass completion, errors and they try to do it a way that levels things out across all positions.

They say the top dogs so far are:
1. Benzema (yes, really)
2. James
3. Varane
4. T. Silva
5. Hummels
6. Robben

Full lists, and rank by position at
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/statistics/castrol-index/index.html

I will say across the league seasons the ranking system usually comes up with a plausible outcome. I'm not sure it works on a tournament scale, but thought it might intrigue the statto fans.
They rank Fred at 38th and Sanchez at 71th. That's reductio ad absurdum.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Looks like it'll come down to Robben or Messi. Then again, unless Luiz tries to be a bit sensible, Muller may have a field day tomorrow night...

Hell Raiser

Robben easily I would say, not seen a player carry a team single handedly as much as Robben has in this cup.

OutlawGER

Supports
Defensively hes had some poor moments.
Really? I can't remember. I can just remember him saving our asses over and over again, especially vs Ghana and France. Everytime the enemy was through, nobody but Hummels was there to make the save.

NoLogo

Really? I can't remember. I can just remember him saving our asses over and over again, especially vs Ghana and France. Everytime the enemy was through, nobody but Hummels was there to make the save.
No mistakes this tournament and was always there when needed at the back as well as scoring 2 goals. He has been immense this WC.

red_hatz

It truly has been a fantastic world cup when you think about the impact some of the players have had, even from some of the non fancied teams
The obvious ones are james, robben, messi etc. but special mentions for the likes of rojo, rodriguez, varane who all have made names for themselves through this tournament

OutlawGER

Supports
No mistakes this tournament and was always there when needed at the back as well as scoring 2 goals. He has been immense this WC.
Exactly my thoughts, thats why i am mentioning him here. But defenders really don't get rated, do they? :lol:

margarito86

I thought Hector Herrera played a good world cup.

He made midfielders chase him quite often.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
David Luiz
No, not even close. He was not even the best defender so far. The only chance a defender becomes player of the tournament is if Hummels scores another vital header.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
No, not even close. He was not even the best defender so far. The only chance a defender becomes player of the tournament is if Hummels scores another vital header.
Aye. Bit like that Chelsea fan proclaiming David Luiz's free-kick as the goal of the tournament.