Best player in the league?

alastair

ignorant
I rate Rio over Vidic when both are fit. Vidic is a top defender, but he does have a tendancy to get sent off, and his pace is lacking on occasion.

Best player in the league is impossible to say - defenders never get the recognition they deserve when it comes to these things. I notice even on a United forum that Evra hasn't got one vote thus far, and when you actually look at how good he is in his position, it seems unfair. But then again, full backs never do get the credit they deserve. Cole is similar to Evra in this regard.

Mickey

Stop paying attention to this a while ago
I rate Rio over Vidic when both are fit. Vidic is a top defender, but he does have a tendancy to get sent off, and his pace is lacking on occasion.

Best player in the league is impossible to say - defenders never get the recognition they deserve when it comes to these things. I notice even on a United forum that Evra hasn't got one vote thus far, and when you actually look at how good he is in his position, it seems unfair. But then again, full backs never do get the credit they deserve. Cole is similar to Evra in this regard.
Evra needs to learn how to cross the ball above 2 feet tbh

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri

Evra is positionally suspect, has a poor cross and a weak shot.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Van der Vaart and Van der Sar would be two of my picks.

Frankly I think Essien needs to really have a spell of fantastic form to regain his mantle as a world class midfielder. The talent is obviously there and he is a great athlete, but we havent seen his best stuff in a while, much like Carrick (although Essien is on another level to Carrick regardless)

TheMancRedDevil

As far as the PFA Player of the Year goes, Berba and Tevez are the favourites.

I hate to say it cos I hate the little troll cnut but I think Tevez has been better than Berba this season.

Berba has scored a lot of goals but, amazingly, the majority of them came in three games. Tevez just seems to have been generally more consistent and more influential.

However, I think Vidic has a shout. He is more than just a "stopper" (to quote one feckwit on here). He's been a very consistent performer throughout the season.

Put it this way - if I had to lose Vidic, Tevez or Berba, Vidic would be last on my list.

Alex

Vidic deserves the PFA award solely for his goal v Aston Villa

Red Norse

As far as the PFA Player of the Year goes, Berba and Tevez are the favourites.

I hate to say it cos I hate the little troll cnut but I think Tevez has been better than Berba this season.

Berba has scored a lot of goals but, amazingly, the majority of them came in three games. Tevez just seems to have been generally more consistent and more influential.

However, I think Vidic has a shout. He is more than just a "stopper" (to quote one feckwit on here). He's been a very consistent performer throughout the season.

Put it this way - if I had to lose Vidic, Tevez or Berba, Vidic would be last on my list.
It has to be Tevez. He's been their talisman, and from the looks of their general play they'd be mid-table without him. Can't think of any players in the league who've been as influential to the team as him.

redwhiteblack

Amazing to see Nani as the favourite as best player in the league. Not that I disagree, it just really rams home how dramatic his progression has been.

So happy for the lad.

As for my best player in the league, I'm gonna break it down positionally, and please remember that this isn't best player of the season!

GK - VDS - close between VDS and Reina.

Defender - Vidic, undoubtedly.

Midfield - Cesc Fabregas - close calls Scholes, Modric and Essien.

Winger - Nani, undoubtedly.

Striker - Wayne Rooney - I think overall he is a better player than Tevez, Torres, Berbatov or RVP.

TheMancRedDevil

The football writers will go for Nani or Nasri, dependent on who wins the league.
Nasri is a decent shout and he's in with a chance.

The slight drawback is that this is decided in April before the league outcome is known.

Nani won't win it... he has come on leaps and bounds since January 2010 but he still hasn't totally won over even United fans, let alone the wider audience.

It's a well known fact that people tend to remember the start and the finish of things and so it depends on who, out of the main contenders, has the best March.

It's a big month for Arsenal and United so if one player really shines then they will do their cause a lot of good.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
There

1 Dimitar Berbatov Man Utd 504
2 Florent Malouda Chelsea 456
3 Nemanja Vidic Man Utd 438
4 Carlos Tevez Man City 436
5 Didier Drogba Chelsea 383
6 Luis Nani Man Utd 376
7 Kevin Nolan Newcastle 375
8 Gareth Bale Tottenham 372
9 Joe Hart Man City 362
10 Patrice Evra Man Utd 359
11 Alex Song Arsenal 355
12 Vincent Kompany Man City 354
13 Darren Fletcher Man Utd 346
14 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 342
15 Morten Gamst Pedersen Blackburn 341
16 John Terry Chelsea 339
17 Andrey Arshavin Arsenal 336
18 Petr Cech Chelsea 335
19 Ashley Cole Chelsea 335
20 Samir Nasri Arsenal 331

Alex

Or where Kevin Nolan is the 7th best player in the league, those stats are stats but well some stats are wack, not that they dont get it right in regards to United players being the supreme ones on the list

RK

Threads like this just remind me how I'm glad Chelsea have ridiculously decided to phase out Drogba.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Re alastair,

Evra is fantastic. Not having the best of seasons so people are critical of him. But imo the best left back around.

Thing is, vidic is even better.

Alex

Evra is positionally suspect, has a poor cross and a weak shot.
Evra doesnt exactly have a great shot, but that is basically like saying VDS has a poor shot, who cares, Gary Neville did well enough with a poor shot and Evra is far more talented than him. He is certainly the best left back in the world in my opinion

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Evra doesnt exactly have a great shot, but that is basically like saying VDS has a poor shot, who cares, Gary Neville did well enough with a poor shot and Evra is far more talented than him. He is certainly the best left back in the world in my opinion
He is.

Once he regains form they'll all start with the holiness worship crap about him. Fickle.

Alex

I dont think he has been poor by any means, he has had better seasons though, but hell at least he scored this year ha

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil

Treble

For some reason, statisticians love Berbatov. They have him as the 5th best player in the world over the past 12 months.

Castrol Ranking:

1 L. Messi FORWARD BARCELONA 1227

2 C. Ronaldo FORWARD REAL MADRID 996
3 G. Higuaín FORWARD REAL MADRID 912
4 R. van der Vaart MIDFIELDER TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 871
5 D. Berbatov FORWARD MANCHESTER UNITED 867

FULL CASTROL RANKINGS | Castrol Football | Official Sponsor UEFA EURO 2012™

The fact that such statistics-bases rankings don't coincide with public opinion makes them more valuable. Otherwise, they would be completely pointless.

Of course they have their shortcomings. Their advantage is that they aren't distorted by personal biases and add another perspective to the discussion.

Treble

The index is based on stats though: stats about completed passes, created chances, scored goals, shots on target, made clearences, blocks, interceptions, tackles, headers etc.

The problem with that index is that it's difficult to determine how many points should be awarded for all those elements: passes, goals, blocks etc. I'm not sure that the system is context-sensitive, i.e. that it takes into account the circumstances, the importance of the game, the quality of the opposition etc.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
Wayne Rooney has not been the 12th best player in the world over the last year. That just didn't happen. Carlos Tevez, Xavi, Iniesta, Nani, Vidic, Puyol have all been better but are ranked lower.

And Higuain has been injured for about three months now, no way is he still third.