Best shot-stopping goalkeepers in Europe

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Lopes is still at Lyon. Is there a big campaign in Portugal to get him as national team number one or are you guys still happy with Patricio who's dipped a bit for Wolves this season and let in some cheap goals?

Just 10 caps so he's really had to bide his time. 30 now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Fabianski always ranks quite highly on shot stopping metrics. He's been rather quietly underrated for a long time. The basics of his game are solid too, though his distribution is fairly average.
Solid enough from crosses but he does have tendency to parry many low range shots back into six yard box. Reminds me of Jussi Jasskelainen a bit who had some fantastic games over a season but had that weakness so probably why no major club ever came in to sign him.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Surprised Lopes is still at Lyon. Is there a big campaign in Portugal to get him as national team number one or are you guys still happy with Patricio who's dipped a bit for Wolves this season and let in some cheap goals?

Just 10 caps so he's really had to bide his time. 30 now.
As an non-Portuguese living here, my perception is that there's so much goodwill towards the team given the Euro title and (obviously to a lesser extent) the first Nations' League. For me Santos does some odd things from time to time but from what I've seen public sentiment towards him is very positive.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
De Gea is getting a lot of slack on here for sure. Not sure why considering people want to replace all back 4 every second game.
He's been like that for years now. His form fluctuates a lot. He's also pretty much the exact opposite of Oblak these days: generally underwhelming but occasionally miraculous

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's been like that for years now. His form fluctuates a lot. He's also pretty much the exact opposite of Oblak these days: generally underwhelming but occasionally miraculous
Well like I said, he's on a negative side so it'd require massive improvement from De Gea to turn this around and get into his "normal numbers":

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
How are expected goals/saves actually calculated? Pickford is poor but I refuse to believe he ranks lower than Ramsdale, he’s so much worse and that’s saying something.

Classical Mechanic

Only missed 4 games he has played.
You‘re a glutton for punishment. Ramsdale has been terrible but so has Pickford. One thing Ramsdale has in his favour is that he’s one of the best in the League on crosses.

I think @Pagh Wraith posted a detailed explaination on how it’s calculated but I can’t find it.

The simple answer would be that your positive bias towards Pickford is clouding your judgement.

Pagh Wraith

How are expected goals/saves actually calculated? Pickford is poor but I refuse to believe he ranks lower than Ramsdale, he’s so much worse and that’s saying something.
There is a link in the first post that explains what PSxG is.

Keep in mind that this only measures pure shot-stopping ability, not the other things Ramsdale might be bad at.

Although subjectively speaking, I'll always be championing Pickford as the worst now that Kepa has been retired. Leave the camera on him for more than five seconds and it's a guarantee he'll do something ridiculous!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well like I said, he's on a negative side so it'd require massive improvement from De Gea to turn this around and get into his "normal numbers":
That's what happened the past two seasons actually. Last season he was in the bottom 5 on that metric at the lockdown, but then finished strong after it

And on the topic of De Gea, i think his 17/18 season should be talked about more. I think football historians looking back will make a huge deal of it, because of how preposterous it was