Best two consecutive songs on an album

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I mean they might sound okay to some but they're by no means the best two songs on an album. I don't like PF or LZ but it's something like that that'd make a good contender. Or bob dylan, not fleet 'irrelevant since 2009' foxes.

See reply above this(and I actually think bon ever is okay!) Please don't post arcade fire next.
Like Zeppelin irrelevant since it turned out they copied other peoples music? I like all those artists you mention actually.

Music is very subjective. No point in getting affected by other peoples choices. The best music doesn't always come from the most famous artists or "billboard 100 greatest Eva".

In fact I'm hoping to find many "not expected to be good contenders" here. Always open to new discoveries and all that jazz.

Duffy

Who needs races when you're racist?
Why all the bold lettering? Bit full on that post, I got half way through and had to stop as it felt I was being screamed at.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's more like it!

Arriving Somewhere > Mellotron Scratch
Anesthetize > Sentimental
Deadwing :drool:

Their 97-05 work is scarily good. I like Sentimental but I prefer the version on Nil Recurring if I'm honest.

Moby

Dick
Deadwing :drool:

Their 97-05 work is scarily good. I like Sentimental but I prefer the version on Nil Recurring if I'm honest.
Not a fan of The Incident? :(

Deadwing and FOTBP are great but I always felt Wilson just made them to pleas a wider audience with a bit more generic prog rock/metal mixed up. It's sad because in the process he fell out of love with PT and left. The Incident for me was an effort by him to return to his true self, exploring his own music and not more of the same as good as it was, Wilson's motto is never doing the same thing twice. So yea I personally adore the Incident, and once you see his solo (tremendous) work right until the latest (amazing) H.C.E., that album is more 'Wilson' than his more famous ones if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Not a fan of The Incident? :(

Deadwing and FOTBP are great but I always felt Wilson just made them to pleas a wider audience with a bit more generic prog rock/metal mixed up. It's sad because in the process he will out of love with PT and left. The Incident for me was an effort by him to return to his true self, exploring his own music and not more of the same as good as it was, Wilson's motto is never doing the same thing twice. So yea I personally adore the Incident, and once you see his solo (tremendous) work right until the latest (amazing) H.C.E., that album is more 'Wilson' than his more famous ones if you know what I mean.
I actually wasn't that big a fan of FOABP. Apart from Anaesthetise which is among their best songs, and Way Out of Here which is great. Love everything else though, The Incident included. I do kind of wish he hadn't gone all progressive metal towards the end, I'm much more of a fan of the Lightbulb Sun style but as you say he was never going to make the same record twice.

His solo stuff is great as well, Grace for Drowning and Hand. Cannot. Erase are excellent. Really looking forward to whatever he does next, whether it be solo or PT. From what he's said lately it's probably the latter, but I have tickets to see him in January so I'm not fussed! Whatever he does, PT, solo, Blackfield etc I buy.

2 man midfield

Normal? Yep. Me too.
Yeah that version just kills. One of the best things about the band is an almost entire other discography to discover. For example Recordings, just tracks that never made Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun is one I still listen to frequently.

Moby

Dick
I actually wasn't that big a fan of FOABP. Apart from Anaesthetise which is among their best songs, and Way Out of Here which is great. Love everything else though, The Incident included. I do kind of wish he hadn't gone all progressive metal towards the end, I'm much more of a fan of the Lightbulb Sun style but as you say he was never going to make the same record twice.

His solo stuff is great as well, Grace for Drowning and Hand. Cannot. Erase are excellent. Really looking forward to whatever he does next, whether it be solo or PT. From what he's said lately it's probably the latter, but I have tickets to see him in January so I'm not fussed! Whatever he does, PT, solo, Blackfield etc I buy.
Nice, his hand cannot erase UK tour was great, caught him in London, absolutely great experience. Additional bonus that he included Lazarus and Sleep Together in the set. :drool:

I very much agree with you on FOTBP. Anesthetize and Way out of here are my favs from that as well. Deadwing is just great throughout, similarly In Absentia and Stupid Dream, In fact everything from that period, all the EPs as well. That was really his peak at PT in my opinion, far as his personal exploration was concerned, he got set on a style around Deadening as you said, I don't think he has ever revealed whether it was his decision though he usually dictated whatever PT did, but he mentioned that once he got labelled as a prog metal artist he couldn't take it and left. He hates getting labelled on anything.

His solo work is wonderful. I attended the Raven tour as well, what a record.

Moby

Dick
Yeah that version just kills. One of the best things about the band is an almost entire other discography to discover. For example Recordings, just tracks that never made Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun is one I still listen to frequently.
He's still releasing that stuff. A couple of weeks back he released another version of Lazarus. The link should be somewhere on his Facebook page.

GBBQ

Queen - A Night at the Opera: The Prophet Song transitions in Love of My life.
Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo habitual: Three Days followed by Then She Did...
Pink Floyd - The Wall: Happiest Days of Our Lives into Another Brick in the Wall (pt2)

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Prince's Purple Rain - When Doves Cry, I would die 4 U, Baby I'm a Star

MJ's Thriller - Take your pick, any two

Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream - Today, Hummer

The Cure's Disintegration - Plainsong, Pictures of You

Def Leppard's Pyromania - Foolin', Rock of Ages

Last edited:

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
On the Some Might Say single the opening three tracks are:

Some Might Say
Talk Tonight
Acquiesce

Either combo is bloody great.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Sabbath: Symptom of the Universe > Megalomania
Metallica: Battery > Master of Puppets
Maiden: Powerslave > Rime of the Ancient Mariner
Porcupine Tree: Even Less > Piano Lessons
Anathema: Fragile Dreams > Empty
Devin Townsend: Seventh Wave > Life
Kyuss: Gardenia > Asteroid
QOTSA: A Song for the Dead > The Sky is Falling
Opeth: The Moor > Godhead's Lament
Tool: Stinkfist > Eulogy

Off the top of my head
This!

Man, I haven't listened to Tool in a long time. You've just changed that for me. Thanks :)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Any two sequential tracks on The The - Soul Mining

Side one
  1. "I've Been Waitin' for Tomorrow (All of My Life)" – 5:45
  2. "This Is the Day" – 5:01
  3. "The Sinking Feeling" – 3:44
  4. "Uncertain Smile" – 6:52

Side two

1. "The Twilight Hour" – 5:58
  2. "Soul Mining" – 4:50
  3. "Giant" – 9:36
  4. "Perfect" (US release only) – 5:36

Revan

Assumptionman
Muse in The Resistence: The Resistence - Undisclosed Desires
Muse in HAARP: Knights of Cydonia - Hysteria - Supermassive Black Hole - Map of the Problematique
Muse in Black Holes and Revelations: Starlight - Supermassive Black Hole - Map of the Problematique
Muse in Absolution: Time is Running Out - Sing for Absolution

Cornell

Good god I couldn't possibly narrow it to just one. Many good ones mentioned so far.

Panda Bear: Take Pills / Bros
Slint: Don, Aman / Washer
Joni Mitchell: All I Want / My Old Man
Public Enemy: Bring The Noise / Don't Believe the Hype
DJ Shadow: Changeling / What Does Your Soul Look Like
Boards of Canada: Olson / Pete Standing Alone
The Dismemberment Plan: A Life of Possibilities / Memory Machine
Animal Collective: In The Flowers / My Girls
Stereolab: Prisoner of Mars / Rainbo Conversation
Talk Talk: After the Flood / Taphead
XTC - Summer's Cauldron / Grass
My Bloody Valentine: Come in Alone / Sometimes
PJ Harvey: The Glorious Land / The Words That Maketh Murder
Slowdive: Souvlaki Space Station / When The Sun Hits
Sonic Youth: The Sprawl / 'Cross The Breeze

Ok I've got to stop.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Ought's 'Around Again' and 'Clarity!' and the latter and 'Gemini'.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Time > The Great Gig in the Sky > Money (yeah, I cheated a bit)

Muse: Drones

Reapers > The Handler

Muse: Origin of Symmetry
New Born > Bliss

Amplifier: Amplifier
Motorhead > Airbourne

The Stone Roses
I Wanna Be Adored > She Bangs The Drums

Alice in Chains: Dirt
Them Bones > Dam That River

thelemon

Smack My Bitch Up -> Breathe
The View From The Afternoon -> I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Going to focus on album closers...

REM: Automatic For The People
Nightswimming > Find The River

Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Brain Damage > Eclipse

Portishead: Dummy
Biscuit > Glory Box

Bjork: Homogenic
Pluto > All Is Full of Love

Radiohead: OK Computer
Airbag > Paranoid Android > Subterranean Homesick Alien > Exit Music (For a Film) > Let Down > Karma Police > Fitter Happier > Electioneering > Climbing Up The Walls > No Surprises > Lucky > The Tourist...

(From memory :lol: I hope I'm not wrong!)

Red Stone

Down in a Hole > Would? on the first pressings of Dirt by Alice in Chains is another doozy.

Master of Puppets - Metallica
Battery > Master of Puppets. Two of the best thrash songs ever written opening the album. Ridiculous.

Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix
All Along the Watchtower > Voodoo Child (slight return)

Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company
Summertime > Piece of my Heart

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
War Pigs -> Paranoid > Planet Caravan > Iron Man > Electric Funeral. Best five songs in sequence ever? They're all immense.

Deep Purple - Machine Head
Smoke on the Water > Lazy > Space Truckin'

Who's Next - The Who
Behind Blue Eyes > Won't Get Fooled Again

The Kick Inside - Kate Bush
The Man With the Child in His Eyes > Wuthering Heights

Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
Running Up That Hill > Hounds of Love and Cloudbusting > And Dream of Sheep, even though the last two are on different sides.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Dig It --> Let it Be

I can't even appreciate Let it Be properly without listening to Dig It immediately before.

CircusMonkey

Pearl jam vs
Go ----animal.

Leash would have been fantastic if it had been put in just before them two.