Best ways to tackle time-wasting

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Soooo many teams waste time when the scoreline is in their favour.

I would love it if refs required a player staying on the ground to go off the field for treatment. This would allow the team with momentum to have one player more for the following attack.

What else could we come up with to deal with this woeful behaviour?

Silas

Just pause the clock when the ball isn't active. Then, to maintain the current level of physical demand, shorten the length of a game to something near the current average for time spent with the ball in play.

AgentSmith

Pause the clock for everything that isn’t the natural result of the ball

e.g. subs, injuries, VAR checks etc.

but leave it running for the things that are

e.g. goal kicks, throw ons, penalties, goals etc.

Not sure how good an idea this would actually be in practice but it would hopefully eliminate time-wasting in its’ most egregious forms.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Clock pausing is a must, the cynical goalkeeper injury is rampant in south america.

Much more urgent than stupid VAR to hunt for hand penalties or cancel goals

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
For every 5 mins wasted, the opponent gets a pen.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Just pause the clock when the ball isn't active. Then, to maintain the current level of physical demand, shorten the length of a game to something near the current average for time spent with the ball in play.
I'll agree, for professional football stopping the clock should definitely be trialled, along with shorter match length to compensate.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Soooo many teams waste time when the scoreline is in their favour.

I would love it if refs required a player staying on the ground to go off the field for treatment. This would allow the team with momentum to have one player more for the following attack.

What else could we come up with to deal with this woeful behaviour?
Worst are those clearly health enough to go off field, yet just drop on the ground waiting for help.

Or assholes already out, getting back on the pitch. Like Drogba once.

Yellows, reds, what ever, I am fine with it.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Just book the time wasters. We all know when they're doing it.

You don't see anyone on a side that's 1-0 down with 5 mins left going down with cramp asking for a leg stretch.
Goalkeepers don't fall to the ground for a lie down whenever they catch the ball in the the first half of games. They do it in the second half, if they're winning.

The current laws are fine, refs are just shitters.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Design the ball in such a way that if it doesn't travel a minimum distance requirement during a game within 5 minutes, it explodes. That or the field will electrocute anyone standing on it.

I wonder who started the goalkeeper having a lie down action. His defenders must have looked at him in disgust. Now it’s ridiculous.

don't Agree with stopping the clock.

It wouldn’t actually be hard to stop the time wasting. However, there’s no indication that the authorities want to do that, and to deal with it.

you sometimes see a game and the vast majority of the last 5-6 mins and injury time is wasted, and from a neutrals perspective it’s awful to watch.

Giggs86

Time wasting is natural and shouldn't be messed with. Sometimes your team is benefiting from it and sometimes it happens against you. Eventually it evens itself out. Same as with var.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I can’t stand it. I feel like I’m a game against Burnley, the ball is only ever in play for a maximum 40 mins. Outside of that it’s either a foul, corner, throw, scrap, injury. They (amongst others) have absolutely mastered the art of breaking up and disrupting the game but it makes for horrific viewing as you never actually get to watch any football. Worst thing is the incompetent refs just eat it up. Something needs to change on that front.

Raredaredevil

This is the only time I appreciate American sports time pause, basketball in particular. Just pause the time. Although this might ruin the thrill and spectacle of watching football because I do sometimes get bored out from the constant advertisement from watching NBA.

reddevilz007

Have you noticed our throw ins, especially Shaw? Takes him 5 minutes to find put the ball back in

1nil

This is the only time I appreciate American sports time pause, basketball in particular. Just pause the time. Although this might ruin the thrill and spectacle of watching football because I do sometimes get bored out from the constant advertisement from watching NBA.
Can't imaging watching a pool game with each stoppage dedicated to showcasing Klopp's perfect teeth and antics. Sheesh!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Aren't keepers supposed to kick the ball in 6seconds or something ? Those guys take way too long, it's ridiculous how referees just let them do it over and over again and book them rarely for it
edit: @Carl I see but even if it's not 6s, surely there is a time limit to it no ?

duffer

Scout

padzilla

Hipster
Any player who is rolling around after being tackled should be automatically substituted or if all substitutes are made the team goes down in numbers. It would ensure players don't feign injury if nothing else.

DickDastardly

Insert LEDs in the ball.

When the GK holds it for more then 5 sec, starts flashing - AKA yellow card. (Works for throw ins, etc...)

Fake injuries - if you don't sub an injured player immediately - he get's a 3 minute pen - can only get on the field in 3 minutes (hockey pen).

duffer

Scout
Aren't keepers supposed to kick the ball in 6seconds or something ? Those guys take way too long, it's ridiculous how referees just let them do it over and over again and book them rarely for it
edit: @Carl I see but even if it's not 6s, surely there is a time limit to it no ?
There's still a 6 second rule, it's not changed.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It is. This is from the 2020/2021 laws...

"An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:

controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it."

https://www.thefa.com/football-rule.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct
I was certain they'd gotten rid of it years ago and replaced with some vague wording like they have to not hold the ball longer than necessary. Or some crap like that. Literally must have dreamed it.

duffer

Scout
I was certain they'd gotten rid of it years ago and replaced with some vague wording like they have to not hold the ball longer than necessary. Or some crap like that. Literally must have dreamed it.
Refs just do what they want anyway, regardless of the actual laws! They certainly don't enforce the 6 seconds.

Carl

Keep the game as it is please, it's not broken.
Just because "its not broken" doesn't mean it can't be improved. Changes like the ball no longer requiring to go forward on kick off, and defenders now able to receive the ball in the box from a goal kick are 2 recent additions that have improved the game, in my opinion.

Carl

Refs just do what they want anyway, regardless of the actual laws! They certainly don't enforce the 6 seconds.
Indeed. Whats more infuriating than obvious time-wasting is a referee failing to do anything about obvious time wasting.

Another is added time in added time. So frequently the game is stopped for more than a minute in injury time and only a fraction of it ever gets added on (if anything at all).

RashyForPM

Keeping the ball in the corner flag can only be done for 4 seconds with the reason being that it’s an attack. Exceed that and it becomes time-wasting, leading to an automatic yellow card. Had enough of teams playing out entire added times by keeping two men around the ball in the corner flag.

A-man

actually enforce the 6 second goalkeeping rule
This is very annoying. Ok if he holds it for 8-9 s but 20 is not rare. If the 6 sec rule was enforced it would be easier to maintain pressure.

I would like to get rid of these covering the ball with my whole body 2 minutes at the corner flag.

I don’t want the clock to stop except during the injury time.

If players are taking too long time, don’t only book them, also give an (indirect) free kick to the other team because loosing possession is worse than a yellow.

Just because "its not broken" doesn't mean it can't be improved. Changes like the ball no longer requiring to go forward on kick off, and defenders now able to receive the ball in the box from a goal kick are 2 recent additions that have improved the game, in my opinion.
The defenders in the box is an interesting one. Really changed the dynamic of the game, and has been key in allowing play out from the back.

it’s a surprising law change, as it’s really come about due to a change in style of play.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just book the time wasters. We all know when they're doing it.

You don't see anyone on a side that's 1-0 down with 5 mins left going down with cramp asking for a leg stretch.
Goalkeepers don't fall to the ground for a lie down whenever they catch the ball in the the first half of games. They do it in the second half, if they're winning.

The current laws are fine, refs are just shitters.
Yeah, I think the best way to deal with it is with uniformity from the referees to ardently enforce the laws of the game. If every ref manages with a similar zero tolerance consistency, things would get ironed out. None of these ‘let it play out, it’s a big game’ nonsense, or anything like that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The paused clock doesn’t stop teams from interrupting the flow of the game and the risk is it further legitimises it.

Rules are already in place to deal with it. They can add on as much time as they like and they can hand out as many yellow cards as they like. Enough of a fuss needs to be generated about the issue to push refs to use their powers.

siw2007

Stopping the clock would only solve half the problem. Time wasting isn’t just a tool used to wind the clock down, but is also used as a way to stifle the attacking flow of a game and frustrate. That’s why you see it in the first minutes of a game and not just at the end.

I think a very visible 6 second countdown from the referee whenever a goal kick, corner, throw in etc is taken resulting in a yellow if violated would quickly sort out the issue.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
It’s easily the best solution, it’s being done in basically every other sport, and it’s just much more transparent and fair.