Gaming Better than a PS5|XSX?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
A thread for classic games, that are arguably better than anything on a PS5|XSX

I'm going to start with Zelda Windwaker

A truly classic game that was controversial at the time, but I would argue it's the best Zelda game ever created. The cartoon-like cell shading split opinions when it was released, but because of it it still looks absolutely gorgeous to this day (especially with HD/4K textures). Especially compared to Twilight Princess which, sorry, looks like mud now.

Originally on: Gamecube
Remastered on: Wii U
Can be played on: Gamecube, backward compatible Wii models, Wii U, PC (Gamecube version via dolphin), PC (Wii U version via CemU)

1080P/4K textures available on PC, as well as widescreen hacks and PS controller texture packs.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Timesplitters | Timesplitters 2 | Timesplitters Future Perfect

The original Xbox had Halo. The PS2 had Timesplitters. Well actually, Xbox had Timesplitters too, and so did Gamecube.

Timesplitters is one of those games that was made back when games where games and not cinematic experiences. It was designed to inject as much fun into your veins as quickly as possible. Back when people had friends, and friends could see each other, friends used to come round to one another's houses and play something called "split-screen". This hilarious experience was one of the greatest moments of any young person's life, and unfortunately probably caused millions to chase that high ever since.

The virus mode was also, absolutely hilarious.

Unfortunately, due to the rights to the IP being mucked about, none of these games are available to be sold on Playstation or Xbox platforms. Hypothetically we could one day see these running on the Series S|X but until then dont bother getting either system

Originally on: PS2/Xbox/Gamecube
Can be played on: PS3 (with hacking) PS2/OG Xbox/Gamecube/backwards compatible Wiis/PC (dolphin emulator)/PC (pcsx2 emulator)

1080P/4K textures available on PC emulators

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
GTA San Andreas is still more fun to play single player than GTAIV or GTAV single player.

Cloud7

Legend of Legaia on the Playstation 1 is my favourite RPG of all the ones I've ever played.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It is Vice City for me, San Andreas was meh for me after Vice City.
Agree with this.

A Vice City re-release now with the updated control system (moving the camera around the character rather than jumping to first person view) would make me very happy.

macheda14

The original Xbox had Halo. The PS2 had Timesplitters. Well actually, Xbox had Timesplitters too, and so did Gamecube.

Timesplitters is one of those games that was made back when games where games and not cinematic experiences. It was designed to inject as much fun into your veins as quickly as possible. Back when people had friends, and friends could see each other, friends used to come round to one another's houses and play something called "split-screen". This hilarious experience was one of the greatest moments of any young person's life, and unfortunately probably caused millions to chase that high ever since.

Unfortunately, due to the rights to the IP being mucked about, none of these games are available to be sold on Playstation or Xbox platforms. Hypothetically we could one day see these running on the Series S|X but until then dont bother getting either system

Can be played on: PS3 (with hacking) PS2/OG Xbox/Gamecube/backwards compatible Wiis/PC (dolphin emulator)/PC (pcsx2 emulator)

One of the best multiplayer games around. The map creator was great, so many great game modes, I have always toyed with the idea of buying an old ps2 and this purely to have the multiplayer available in my household.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Has to be Deus Ex 1 for me. Don't think it's on any console.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante

100%

What fun we had playing this. It was so easy to play and so addictive that even the girls in our social circle played it. One mate used to plant mines everywhere around him and then stare at the floor or the walls so that we couldn't tell where he was on the map and he thought it was hilarious when we'd run into the mines and kill ourselves.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
PES 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 will still be better than anything EA or Konami will release in the football/soccer genre on the PS5/XBOX WHATEVA.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
My favourite games from the consoles I've owned:

Master System: Alex Kidd In Miracle World
SNES: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Mega Drive: Streets Of Rage 2
PlayStation: Silent Hill
Nintendo 64: Mario Kart 64
Dreamcast: Power Stone
PlayStation 2: Tekken Tag Tournament
Nintendo DS: New Super Mario Bros.
PlayStation 3: Batman Arkham Asylum
PlayStation 4: Tekken 7
Nintendo Switch: Mario Maker 2

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
PES 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 will still be better than anything EA or Konami will release in the football/soccer genre on the PS5/XBOX WHATEVA.
Agree with this. PE6 was incredible. The ability to spray passes from one attacking fullback to the other was a delight. My team of legends was awesome, too. Garrincha on the wing was my favourite player.

Bosws87

Broken Sword 1

Broken Sword Smoking Mirrors

Absolute classics original Playstation and PC now can be played fully on mobile, one of my all time favourites. The series did continue but after the second one they went downhill drastically.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I mean there is literally an infinite amount of games like this.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
How well received was the GameCube ?
I personally thought it was a great console but I don't think it sold very well. The purple cube look didn't go down well and I think it suffered from the perception that it was a kid's game console compared to the "macho" PS2 and Xbox.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
A thread for classic games, that are arguably better than anything on a PS5|XSX

I'm going to start with Zelda Windwaker

A truly classic game that was controversial at the time, but I would argue it's the best Zelda game ever created. The cartoon-like cell shading split opinions when it was released, but because of it it still looks absolutely gorgeous to this day (especially with HD/4K textures). Especially compared to Twilight Princess which, sorry, looks like mud now.

Originally on: Gamecube
Remastered on: Wii U
Can be played on: Gamecube, backward compatible Wii models, Wii U, PC (Gamecube version via dolphin), PC (Wii U version via CemU)

1080P/4K textures available on PC, as well as widescreen hacks and PS controller texture packs.
I hope they release remastered editions of windwaker and twillight princess on the switch.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
My VR headset and motion controllers still can't rival the feeling I had when I first played Duck hunt on NES. Let alone when I realized, I could just hold the gun against the screen and never miss, muhahaha.

Bosws87

GoodenEye 007 on the N64
96 Metascore

Great fun playing in split screen
Possibly the worst control setup for a first person shooter ever, god i hated that game, i know it was adored but it was awful control wise!

rotherham_red

SSX, Timesplitters, the original Pro Evolution Soccer series on the PS2

Wip3out series, and ISS Pro Evo Soccer on the original PlayStation.

Streets of Rage on the Sega Mega Drive

And I'm sure I'm missing a whole bunch more.