g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bielsa calls up amateur player to Uruguay squad

Steve Bruce

I’m not joking! Our top league is amateur. We’ve capped a few players from that league over the years. Most recently Jack Byrne, from Shamrock Rovers.

EDIT: Quick google reveals Byrne’s cap was 35 years after the last amateur. So maybe not as frequent as I thought!
The LOI is mostly full time professional with a few semi pro teams.

Shamrock rovers wage budget is multiple millions per year. (around 2.5 to 3m)

In the 90s the league was pretty much semi pro which is higher than amateur

tomaldinho1

They seem to have a Facebook page as their main website! Hope he smashes it.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Fair play.

There is high end talent up and down the football pyramid in every country, sometimes it slips through the cracks. You just have to be savvy enough to look for it and then brave enough to give it a chance

It's probably unlikely that anything will come of this for lad, but good on Bielsa for rolling the dice and not playing safe.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Yeah LOI is probably multiple levels above what this guy is playing at. Proper Benson and Hedges stuff :lol:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
There's hope for us all. Now I just need to learn how to score 60 goals...

Red00012

I’m not joking! Our top league is amateur. We’ve capped a few players from that league over the years. Most recently Jack Byrne, from Shamrock Rovers.

EDIT: Quick google reveals Byrne’s cap was 35 years after the last amateur. So maybe not as frequent as I thought!
I’m not sure that’s right Glen Crowe was capped wasn’t he ?

No Love

Walter Domínguez to Man Utd: HERE WE GO!

The striker has signed a six year deal worth a reported 375k per week. A remarkable turnaround for the man who was canning Fray Bentos pies in Uruguay just three weeks ago!

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
Took Nunez 12 months to drive Klopp into an early retirement. Bielsa is 68. You know where he ends up, if he has to put up with Evolution Nunez for a few more games.

Oranges038

This would probably more like someone being called up from the LSL or AUL.

Oranges038

I watched an LSL game last week. What’s AUL?
Athletic Union League, think it's predominantly Dublin based teams, but then again it could be utter shite overall. I was bringing my daughter up for a game there a few weeks ago at a pitch near the Aviva, there was an AUL game on before, it was 2 Saturday premier teams, seemed like a decent standard.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Fairly sure Byrne is one of those on a calander year contract as opposed to others where they're only paid for the duration of the season

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Not quite the same but it was a similar situation with Mascherano. He hadn't made his debut for River Plate when Bielsa called him up to the national team and played him in a friendly against Uruguay.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Jack Byrne was indeed a full-time professional when he was capped for Ireland, as were other LOI-capped players like Crowe, Jason Byrne and Joe Gamble.

But an amateur HAS played for Ireland in more recent(ish) times. That would be Joe Lapira, the college soccer player capped by Steve Staunton in 2006 during a US tour. As I recall, his uncle worked for the FAI.

Karlos PFC

Uruguay has a crazy ratio for population/quality players, it wouldn't surprise me he would go on and be the next big thing or at least a decent squad player.
The caf claiming Ole was a good coach but don't consider Bielsa (and everything he has achieved or players praising him) anything other than an oddball is pure madness.

SoCross

Uruguay has a crazy ratio for population/quality players, it wouldn't surprise me he would go on and be the next big thing or at least a decent squad player.
The caf claiming Ole was a good coach but don't consider Bielsa (and everything he has achieved or players praising him) anything other than an oddball is pure madness.
A lot of Caftards love Bielsa.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Vardy went from Fleetwood Town to Leicester, so massive jumps can work out occasionally.

If Biesla thinks this guy can step up, he might well be able to.

Antarion

I think Klose also was rather late onto the professional stage

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Walter Domínguez to Man Utd: HERE WE GO!

The striker has signed a six year deal worth a reported 375k per week. A remarkable turnaround for the man who was canning Fray Bentos pies in Uruguay just three weeks ago!
Get him signed too

Pintu

Not quite the same but it was a similar situation with Mascherano. He hadn't made his debut for River Plate when Bielsa called him up to the national team and played him in a friendly against Uruguay.

Bielsa is a bold man you can give him that… But still, Mascherano was a River Plate player (at least on the books). This here is something on completely different level.

Pintu

i love Bielsa… i just hate Leeds and think Bielsa is not a good fit for highly ambitious pragmatic clubs, unless you have enough money to give him a very large squad.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Vardy went from Fleetwood Town to Leicester, so massive jumps can work out occasionally.

If Biesla thinks this guy can step up, he might well be able to.
Didn't Brazil have a lower level player in their 1998 World cup squad or am I imagining it? Think he played against the Netherlands in the SF.

Ze Carlos.

Not quite an amateur but he mostly played for lower Brazil sides in his career, had never been called up to any squad before 1998 World cup and that SF remarkably was his only ever cap.

Zé Carlos: from selling watermelons to World Cup semi-final (worldsoccer.com)

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

FM scouts knew about Mascherano though. He was named the best player at the respectable Toulon tournament.

Bwuk

If Ten Hag wants me too I’ll play CB vs Arsenal.