g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Bigger legend for Real Madrid: C.Ronaldo or Raul?

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Raul marked a whole generation and could be seen as some sort of improved Butragueno. He was a better player and probably had more importance relative to the titles achieved, especially until 2000/01. Raul was a big legend whose career was tainted by his drop in level in his last years at Madrid.

Cristiano Ronaldo belongs to a completely different category. The player to build an entire team and an entire system around. The massive inexorable force that crushes almost whatever is in its path. The ultra-competitive beast. The nuclear bomb. The cheat code.

There is no doubt that in 40, 50 years time Ronaldo will be considered as the bigger legend and Raul will be seen closer (not equal) to figures as Amancio, Pirri or Gento.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
How can fans of another club answer this question?

Imagine us trying to tell another club who is a bigger legend for them, especially so when not been invested enough to have watched every interaction with the fans, and viewing only the games of repute.

For what it's worth, Raul was an absolute god for them during his initial run. An embodiment of the fans, manifest. Ronaldo probably more like watching an alien doing spectacular things, but does that engender the same emotional connection? Especially so when Ronaldo, as a narcissist, was doing it more for himself than the club - a polar opposite of what Raul stood for, who looked like he'd give everything he had for the club and fans.

AndySmith1990

Probably Ronaldo I would guess, but wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Real Madrid fans thought more highly of Raul. Ronaldo just isn't a likeable person

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I reckon there are a lot of bitter united fans in this thread trying to tell themselves that fans of the club who got his best years probably didn't like him all that much either.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Raul marked a whole generation and could be seen as some sort of improved Butragueno. He was a better player and probably had more importance relative to the titles achieved, especially until 2000/01. Raul was a big legend whose career was tainted by his drop in level in his last years at Madrid.

Cristiano Ronaldo belongs to a completely different category. The player to build an entire team and an entire system around. The massive inexorable force that crushes almost whatever is in its path. The ultra-competitive beast. The nuclear bomb. The cheat code.

There is no doubt that in 40, 50 years time Ronaldo will be considered as the bigger legend and Raul will be seen closer (not equal) to figures as Amancio, Pirri or Gento.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why do you bump your old threads quoting random posts.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Has to be CR7 obviously. Only Di Stéfano was better/achieved more for Real Madrid

SirMonteyne

I've been to Bernabeu in 2009 and 2016. As best as I can describe my experience, people loved Raul and worshiped Ronaldo. I will never forget the way people and the whole stadium went absolutely wild when Ronaldo walked out of that tunnel and scored the goal. The experience was mind-blowing, and I will never forget it. I have never experienced anything like it before. In many ways, his arrogance and the way in which he behaves are in perfect harmony with Bernabeu's.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Raul. Ronaldo is a mercenary while Raul is Real through and through.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
It's probably Cristiano Ronaldo.

But I can't see him being associated with the club in the future, which will slowly decrease his standing.

berbasloth4

Who would we have as a bigger legend at United?
Giggs (personal stuff aside) or ronaldo.

that would prob settle it for you

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Who will be seen as the bigger legend for Real Madrid in 40-50 years time? C.Ronaldo or Raul?

C.Ronaldo pretty much has all the Real Madrid records that Raul used to have, but Raul would always be the golden boy of Madrid. Who will be the bigger legend?
With all due respect, this is a silly question. Who's the bigger legend, the 4 time CL winning, 4 time Ballon D'Or winning, record goalscoring Madrid player or Raul?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Greater player by all measures: Cristiano

Greater legend: Subjective
Agreed. I imagine there are probably a lot of match going Real fans that will say Raul.

All this said, I reckon most Real fans have Di Stefano as their No.1. CR7 only got two La Ligas. No matter what people say, you have to win your league over Cup titles to really win the hearts of the match going fanbase.

T_Model101

What is Raul doing with himself these days?
Still Madrid youth management?
His missus still a tv presenter?