Biggest disappointments of Euro 2020…

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Now that it’s all said and done, who were you expecting big things from who didn’t hit the heights for you?

You can’t really look beyond Kylian Mbappé for me. Massive let down, and all things considered, I’d say was probably a big reason why France didn’t progress further.

Irwin99

Mbappe: so much expectation, so little end product.

Grealish: more of a manager/media thing but offered little when he actually did come on. Got one assist if i remember right?

Immobile: first two games were good but offered nothing in terms of goal threat after the group stage. If ever there was a striker just making up the numbers...

The Spanish defence: it's so much better than it showed itself to be.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Mbappe: so much expectation, so little end product.

Grealish: more of a manager/media thing but offered little when he actually did come on. Got one assist if i remember right?

Immobile: first two games were good but offered nothing in terms of goal threat after the group stage. If ever there was a striker just making up the numbers...

The Spanish defence: it's so much better than it showed itself to be.
Phil Foden was a far bigger disappointment than Jack. England Golden Boy, with Golden hair to match (and I’ve been reliably informed for years by Englishmen that you can only dye your hair if you are to be the best player on the pitch every game) - but found himself out of the team after a couple of games and made no real impact.

Canagel

Kylian Mbappe
Bruno Fernandes
Ruben Dias
Mathijs De Ligt
Toni Kroos
Thiago Alcantara
Harry Kane
Phil Foden

Patchbeard

Beyond the obvious Mbappe:

1. Immobile - Never really watched him consistently live before the tournament, but his goalscoring record in Serie A is fantastic. Turns out he's not the second coming of Inzaghi (not saying anyone said this was a thing...just with his goalscoring exploits and his badass name I expected something of the sort)
2. Turkey - Didn't they beat Holland 4-2 not long before? Didn't look like scoring, didn't look like they could be bothered to defend.
3. Poland - Lewandowski tried his hardest, but the rest of the side were seriously lacking
4. Lukaku - Turns out he isn't much better than when he was with us
5. Bruno - Didn't have high hopes after his long season, lack of recent form and lack of an impact for Portugal previously. But then 2 goals in a warm-up game gave me false hope he would be good :(

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mbappe - was poor all tournament

France - World Champions but won just the once and played poorly.

Turkey - looked a decent team on paper, but perhaps the worst team at the Euro’s

Bruno - worryingly bag

Poland - I always expect something from them

Belgium - overrated side with a weak mentality

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The 2 minutes between Malen missing that sitter and De Ligt making that dumb fecking handball.

Mbappe is the biggest though. One of the worst top player tournament of all time. Fecking useless. Even Quincy Promes did more.

AgentSmith

From the big hitters it would be Mbappe and Bruno.

For managers it would be Deschamps; almost a criminal misuse of the talent at his disposal.

As a team I’d go with, beyond the obvious ones, Turkey who were touted as a dark horse beforehand. Very manageable group that would’ve given them a path of Denmark, Czech Republic, and England to the final if they’d finished 2nd.

Instead they came bottom with 0 points and a goal difference of -7.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Kylian Mbappe
Bruno Fernandes
Ruben Dias
Mathijs De Ligt
Toni Kroos
Thiago Alcantara
Harry Kane
Phil Foden
Good list although I’d say Kane was ok in the end.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The group of death was a bit of a damp squib, wasn't it? Not so much the games in it, but the fact that Germany, Portugal and France all got dumped out at the first knock out round was disappointing. France in particular were pretty rubbish. I didn't find them impressive in any game they played.

Mbappe was a bit of a let down, although i don't think he was as awful as some people make out. Obviously he missed the crucial pen and also a big chance in that game, but i didn't think he was shocking.

Bruno, however, was shocking. I'm just going to put it down to tiredness. The man hasn't had a rest in forever. Hopefully he gets a good one now before the season kicks off.

Belgium. I've never been impressed with them and i just don't get they hype. They're often terrible to watch.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Poland as expected tbh. Too many new faces around Lewandowski, plus the organisation in higher football bodies generate as always some shockingly bad decisions right before major tournaments.

France underestimated their opponent and got whacked. Disappointment for sure, but can't win always everything.

Belgium and England... Huge potential, but can't make final steps to seal it when it's there for the taking. Real disappointment.

Gonçalo Motta

After all the hype and what he achieved so far, people seem to forget that Mbappe is still just a 22y old kid.
I expected a bit more from him as well but it's not like he was going to light the world on fire in this tournament (at least was highly unlikely).

The Portuguese forwards overall were a disappointment - Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Jota.
Expected more from Morata as well although I wouldn't really rate him as a world-class player he seemed like a B team striker.

JB7

Still waiting to see what Mason Mount actually does and why people go on about him as if he's anything other than an average footballer taking up a space in the team that a good player could have.

Stacks

Phil Foden was a far bigger disappointment than Jack. England Golden Boy, with Golden hair to match (and I’ve been reliably informed for years by Englishmen that you can only dye your hair if you are to be the best player on the pitch every game) - but found himself out of the team after a couple of games and made no real impact.
shiiiiiiiiiid I forgot about lad. Dyed his hair and everything. Channeled his inner Gazza only to flake out. Easier to shine in Peps system

Oranges038

Mbappe, he never really got going at all.

England's attack. So much talent and promise stunted by the manager.

Bruno, he doesn't fit into the way Portugal play, which is worse than the way Southgate sets England up.

Mbappe - all the hype and showed nothing. Beginning to become a recurring theme with him.

Foden - not the same player who trots put for City. I put it down to dodgy coaching.

Bruno - after the season he's had he was exceedingly poor.

Sancho - why take one of the world's best young players if you're not going to play him, Gareth?

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
England's attack. So much talent and promise stunted by the manager.
With this in mind, Gareth Southgate. Nearly a billion pounds worth of attacking talent at his disposal and he kept the shackles on 99% of the time and never figured out how to utilize that to its fullest. Played not to lose in the final and as a result failed to win.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Foden. His only contribution was to get next to Kane after the goal against Denmark so that we can see his stupid haircut every time they play the video packages in Euro tournaments during England games.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Still waiting to see what Mason Mount actually does and why people go on about him as if he's anything other than an average footballer taking up a space in the team that a good player could have.
Apart from being Chelsea's best player in a season where we won the Champions League with him providing the assist for the winner in the final and scoring in both the quarters and semis. He played well in the first 2 games for England then had to go into isolation for 10 days because of some barmy pen pushing bureaucratic wankers at PHE. Didn't look the same player after that period of isolation but you can hardly criticise him for that.

JB7

Apart from being Chelsea's best player in a season where we won the Champions League with him providing the assist for the winner in the final and scoring in both the quarters and semis. He played well in the first 2 games for England then had to go into isolation for 10 days because of some barmy pen pushing bureaucratic wankers at PHE. Didn't look the same player after that period of isolation but you can hardly criticise him for that.
I was waiting for a Chelsea fan to pipe up saying something of that ilk, I've got two or three good mates that are Chelsea fans and rave about him all the time so I've tried watching him closely several times and I just don't see it. He's fine but that's about it, to be honest I found it hilarious that he won your player of the year last season. He had good moments but that's about it. And no, he most definitely did not play well in the first 2 games of the Euros, pretty poor against Croatia and better against Scotland but still not good - no criticism for being poor after isolation as he should never have been thrown back into the team. He's not a bad player but there are just much better players in his position. He's decent at winning the ball high up the pitch which is why Southgate loves him and can take a good set piece but I see Chelsea improving on him in the not too distant future.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Kylian Mbappe
Bruno Fernandes
Ruben Dias
Mathijs De Ligt
Toni Kroos
Thiago Alcantara
Harry Kane
Phil Foden
This list is pretty good. Not sure if Thiago had expectations - he’s behind Pedri for good reason these days. Bruno deservedly got some pelters, but I thought Dias was just as bad — if not worse considering he never actually got dropped.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Harry Kane was a front runner for this until he got his act together in the knockout games.

But yeah, Mbappe.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
I was waiting for a Chelsea fan to pipe up saying something of that ilk, I've got two or three good mates that are Chelsea fans and rave about him all the time so I've tried watching him closely several times and I just don't see it. He's fine but that's about it, to be honest I found it hilarious that he won your player of the year last season. He had good moments but that's about it. And no, he most definitely did not play well in the first 2 games of the Euros, pretty poor against Croatia and better against Scotland but still not good - no criticism for being poor after isolation as he should never have been thrown back into the team. He's not a bad player but there are just much better players in his position. He's decent at winning the ball high up the pitch which is why Southgate loves him and can take a good set piece but I see Chelsea improving on him in the not too distant future.
It must be so confusing to you that the people who have watched all his games recognise he's a fantastic player. They're all wrong clearly and you are spot on. He's just Lampard's, Tuchel's and Southgate's son.

GlasgowCeltic

Expected great things from Portugal’s attack, in the end Jota, Bernardo and Bruno dreadful

And yeah Mbappe, performances and attitude stunk

JB7

It must be so confusing to you that the people who have watched all his games recognise he's a fantastic player. They're all wrong clearly and you are spot on. He's just Lampard's, Tuchel's and Southgate's son.
And immediately to the snarky comments, "proper Chels" you aren't you. I've not once said I'm right at all & everyone else is wrong, I am saying I simply don't see it with him. I never have. Three United managers loved Fellaini for fecks sake.

As for the everyones son comment, that's just weird.

That Jordan Henderson cameo in the final was the worst performance of the competition. Can’t remember him completing a pass. Knocked three straight out of play.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
And immediately to the snarky comments, "proper Chels" you aren't you. I've not once said I'm right at all & everyone else is wrong, I am saying I simply don't see it with him. I never have. Three United managers loved Fellaini for fecks sake.

As for the everyones son comment, that's just weird.
Last year I'd engage with people about whether Mount was 'all that'. After the season he's had I just won't take an opinion like yours seriously.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
No he didn't, absolutely no one for England played well in that Scotland game. Mount did nothing to warrant his continued place in the England side and this is coming from someone who did think he should be in the team before the tournament started before you reply that I'm just a 'hater'

Of the players who started at least two games for England both Mount and Foden were by far the biggest disappointments, Kane was heading that way as well bit the goal against Germany and the subsequent games just about saved him

Beyond England Portugal (or more specifically Dias and Bruno) were disappointing as was Mbappe for France

alquemyst

Mbappe - Was poor but his finishing wasn't always the best anyways
Bruno - Tired but lackluster even when played 30 mins here and there
Thiago - Barely played
Phoden & Mount : Both looked average to me, like the occasion got to them

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
No he didn't, absolutely no one for England played well in that Scotland game. Mount did nothing to warrant his continued place in the England side and this is coming from someone who did think he should be in the team before the tournament started before you reply that I'm just a 'hater'

Of the players who started at least two games for England both Mount and Foden were by far the biggest disappointments, Kane was heading that way as well bit the goal against Germany and the subsequent games just about saved him

Beyond England Portugal (or more specifically Dias and Bruno) were disappointing as was Mbappe for France
Why are you even bothering to try and make out like you are in any way neutral over anything to do with Chelsea? You are a troll and regularly come up with stuff like this:
wait what? Greenwood right now is a better player than Mount will ever be
This is about as dumb as a comment I've seen on this forum.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Kylian Mbappe
Bruno Fernandes
Ruben Dias
Mathijs De Ligt
Toni Kroos
Thiago Alcantara
Harry Kane
Phil Foden
Great list.
Also possibly some of the French CBs and fullback, I didn't pay too much attention but they were torn apart in the Switzerland game.