Biggest Summer Reset Ever?

UnitedFire

Arsenal 1 point ahead and with games in hand could make that 10.

Their games to go are about on par with ours. So let's call it now Europa at best.

Given this I would say very high chance of exits
Pogba.. Would he really re-sign now? I wouldn't even want him to for the money.
Lingard... Very very likely gone
Ronaldo... I just can't see him staying for Europa and frankly that is just wrong
Cavani... Already checked out it seems
Greenwood... Pre charge bail extended to 30th April. It takes special circumstances to extend beyond 28 days. I won't comment beyond that, but hard to see a way back without the public material being revoked somehow.
Jones. Very likely going.

Reasonably high chance of exit
Martial... Seems keen to get football, but still need to find a buyer
DVB... Depends on the manager we get, but one way or another is looking a risk for going
Mata... Overdue, no major impact if does go
Henderson... How long can he wait, but huge wages might keep him ticking along on loans
Bailly. Will likely push for a move given he is getting no game time.

Staying but should probably go considering age
Matic... Contract till 2023, but turns 34 in August.

I won't list all those that should go because they aren't good enough. The above list of likely exits is huge and I can't see how we can even begin to address half the problems when so many first teamers to replace. However you look at it we are in for big change and you have to assume the only way we are filling the void is by a lot of the talented youngsters we have getting chances.

I can't ever recall a summer with such a high probability of a major reset.

Last edited:

wise_old_man

Arsenal 1 point ahead and with games in hand could make that 10.

Their games to go are about on par with ours. So let's call it now Europa at best.

Given this I would say very high chance of exits
Pogba.. Would he really re-sign now? I wouldn't even want him to for the money.
Lingard... Very very likely gone
Ronaldo... I just can't see him staying for Europa and frankly that is just wrong
Cavani... Already checked out it seems
Greenwood... Pre charge bail extended to 30th April. It takes special circumstances to extend beyond 28 days. I won't comment beyond that, but hard to see a way back without the public material being revoked somehow.

Reasonably high chance of exit
Martial... Seems keen to get football, but still need to find a buyer
DVB... Depends on the manager we get, but one way or another is looking a risk for going
Mata... Overdue, no major impact if does go
Henderson... How long can he wait, but huge wages might keep him ticking along on loans

Staying but should probably go considering age
Matic... Contract till 2023, but turns 34 in August.

I won't list all those that should go because they aren't good enough. The above list of likely exits is huge and I can't see how we can even begin to address half the problems when so many first teamers to replace. However you look at it we are in for big change and you have to assume the only way we are filling the void is by a lot of the talented youngsters we have getting chances.

I can't ever recall a summer with such a high probability of a major reset.
People lambasted Mourinho for being toxic, but Ole's "cultural reset" might have crippled us even more in the long run.

lex talionis

I'd really like to know what's going through Ole's head right now. Does he feel any sense of culpability, or does he feel like he was handcuffed by indifferent management. Either way, we're at the burn-the-house-down-and-rebuild-it fork in the road.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
We say this every year and then the club announce Phil Jones has a new contract. The people in charge have a habit of keeping players around as it is cheaper than replacing them with a transfer fee. The fact that there’s several senior players gone out on loan and several others winding down their contract for this summer gives you that little hope with a new manager coming in.

First thing is if players don’t want to be at United or they aren’t getting regular game time then they should be moved on.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We keep hearing about resets and all but the problem is making mistakes to fix pervious mistakes. Ole's first summer was supposed to fix mistakes made in defence - instead he spent 130 million on mid table defenders as they were Pl proven and also threw in Dan James as fecking why not.

I don't think we'll see a huge turnover. A few expected names who are on their way out like Pogba and Lingard and a few more. More importantly we have to start signing players with a foresight and vision. You want to play attacking football - prioritize quality on the ball, ability to press/be press resistant, being able to pass and link up, being able to play in a high defensive line. You can bleat on about positive football the way Ole did and then sign Maguire Awb and James who aren't suited to it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I genuinely felt that during Ole’s time, even if we didn’t win anything under him he’d at least leave the squad in better shape than when he found it. I still thought he’d done so even when he got the sack, but AWB and Maguire undo any good work he did in signing Bruno.

wise_old_man

We keep hearing about resets and all but the problem is making mistakes to fix pervious mistakes. Ole's first summer was supposed to fix mistakes made in defence - instead he spent 130 million on mid table defenders as they were Pl proven and also threw in Dan James as fecking why not.

I don't think we'll see a huge turnover. A few expected names who are on their way out like Pogba and Lingard and a few more. More importantly we have to start signing players with a foresight and vision. You want to play attacking football - prioritize quality on the ball, ability to press/be press resistant, being able to pass and link up, being able to play in a high defensive line. You can bleat on about positive football the way Ole did and then sign Maguire Awb and James who aren't suited to it.
No chance for that if even Rangnick, who supposedly will have 2-year consultant gig, didn't even get the chance to have any input in choosing the next manager. Yet you expect consistency in foresight and vision?
I genuinely felt that during Ole’s time, even if we didn’t win anything under him he’d at least leave the squad in better shape than when he found it. I still thought he’d done so even when he got the sack, but AWB and Maguire undo any good work he did in signing Bruno.
Ah, the so-called "cultural reset" that people revered about. Yet it may have crippled us even more in the long run. What sort of "cultural reset" left behind such a group of entitled players, with so much cuddling that went to their heads?

amolbhatia50k

No chance for that if even Rangnick, who supposedly will have 2-year consultant gig, didn't even get the chance to have any input in choosing the next manager. Yet you expect consistency in foresight and vision?
I don't expect it. Our track record doesn't deserve that. Hopefully Rangnick does have some sway but I think we'll do our usual and cock things up.

Jackal981

I'd really like to know what's going through Ole's head right now. Does he feel any sense of culpability, or does he feel like he was handcuffed by indifferent management. Either way, we're at the burn-the-house-down-and-rebuild-it fork in the road.
Nah. He doesnt give a feck about us. He got his severance pay and laugh all the way to the bank

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
The only thing the clubs needs reset is the ownership.
Until they fk off, we will be in this same position year after year, flattering to deceive.
If you have a club run as a bank for the owners, with not much regard for the footballing side then we aren't competing any time soon, especially if those other clubs around you are run as sporting entities first unlike ours which has been run as a sponsorship/marketing project.
Dont want to say this but maybe if we have a major collapse from now to the end of the season would be better as it may score the leeches in charge to look for a way out.

Roboc7

I can’t see club having the appetite for a reset, they’ll still want to believe we are on the right track and this is just a blip. Less than a year ago everyone at the club was congratulating themselves and each other, new contracts and promotions being dished out based on all the perceived good work.

I imagine that whoever promises they can sort this squad out quickly and cheaply will be appointed as the new manager, that’s what they want to hear not that huge changes are needed. That’s what any new manager will be saying within first few months of being appointed though irrespective of what they’ve promised in the recruitment process.

UnitedFire

I can’t see club having the appetite for a reset, they’ll still want to believe we are on the right track and this is just a blip. Less than a year ago everyone at the club was congratulating themselves and each other, new contracts and promotions being dished out based on all the perceived good work.

I imagine that whoever promises they can sort this squad out quickly and cheaply will be appointed as the new manager, that’s what they want to hear not that huge changes are needed. That’s what any new manager will be saying within first few months of being appointed though irrespective of what they’ve promised in the recruitment process.
The irony is the club won't have a choice in the reset. Most of those players I've listed will either leave because of end of contract or force a move. I wouldn't be surprised if Ronaldo even has an exit clause for such circumstances.

Ibi Dreams

I think we're all wishing for it and it does feel and look necessary. Yet somehow I won't be surprised if we go into next season with more or less the same squad

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
We will buy 3-4 players max and promote a couple of youth team players who aren't good enough.

Many of the players the OP listed as a reasonably high chance of leaving will stay for another season.

Ralph1386

Speaking of Bruno: compare the player he was when he joined us, with the player he was when Ole was sacked. Normally when you move from Sporting to United, you should expect to improve and work under a better coaching staff. But our club has a knack of ruining players.

Jericholyte2

This summer will be absolutely massive and I think that finishing outside of Europe completely would be a blessing in disguise, as it could allow a squad cull. You look at the squad and you could easily see 10+ players leaving:

Contracts running out: Cavani, Pogba, Lingard, Mata
Asked to leave / likely to leave depending on circumstances: Martial, Ronaldo, VDB, Bailly, Jones, Henderson, Rashford(?)
Need to sell as not contributing: Matic, one or even two of Shaw, Telles and AWB (I'd keep Dalot as a squad player)

In my eyes a successful summer would be if we could replace half of those as we'd need to fill the following gaps:

--------------------DDG----------------
Dalot--Varane--Maguire--FB
------------CM--------CM------------
RW--------Bruno-------Sancho
---------------ST-----------------------

Green Arrow

Does anybody think that the board will get rid of Maguire, AWB, Rashford, Fred and McTomminy. I don't think they will, I think Fred is in his last year of his contract and they will offer him a new one. We will be losing some good players and ill keeping the rubbish. I think it will be the same again next season with an addition of 1/2 new players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's disturbing how summer windows that seem brilliant pan out as being massively underwhelming.

Pogba Ibra Bailly. The biggest flatter to deceive player ever, a very short term signing and massively underwhelming Bailly who has 2 good games then misses 10

Schweiny & Schneiderline - One was once world class and the other was the classic small team player looking better than he is due to their system

Maguire, Wan B, James - looked the strong aerial classy on the ball centre piece, best defensive right back and promising winger - we know how that panned out.

Ronaldo , Varane, Sancho - Best window ever on paper - yet we haven't come close to playing to Ronaldo's strengths making him look a passenger, Varane misses as many as he plays, and Sancho took about 6 months to get going. Plus the massively worrying thing that he's yet another player we've bought for the right who is better on the left!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I find it bizarre how every year we talk this this summer, big changes needed - and they have often happened...only to go back to it the year after.

The club is rotten, this is a 4/5 year fix which requires a complete overhaul top to bottom. As things stand, the new regime in charge of football operations do not look any more capable than the previous regime who weren't even football people....but it's early doors.

For me this summer only serves as a platform for years to come. If the changes look wrong, if the changes are the wrong profile and we continue to court over-the-hill big names, or we continue to sign players for commercial advantages rather than a skillset matched with the new manager - then we know for certain that success is beyond the club.

For me, as an adult I can live without the club lifting trophy after trophy - but to see such large resources wasted on mediocrity, it does leave a sour taste. Being 2nd or 3rd because another team is simply better is fine - but being 5th or 6th because of poor management top to bottom? It doesn't sit right.

RedIan

It’s like we have pressed a massive self destruct button this season..
last season we were unbeaten away from home, bralong all records and finish second to city..

How do you go from that to yesterdays white flag waving performance.

For me it’s on ole, he persisted for season after season with McFred as the heart of our team. At the start of the season we had on paper an embarrassment of attacking riches. Greenwood, Cavani, Rashford, Martial, Elanga, Sancho… Ole IGNORES the very sub standard midfield and he goes out and buys an aging Ronaldo for £20m seemingly just to stop him going to City.

we went downhill from that point faster than the drop on the big one at Blackpool.

summer reset? more a major clear out of ego,s urgently required.

Ralph1386

In my eyes a successful summer would be if we could replace half of those as we'd need to fill the following gaps:

--------------------DDG----------------
Dalot--Varane--Maguire--FB
------------CM--------CM------------
RW--------Bruno-------Sancho
---------------ST-----------------------
I agree with you, but do you honestly think that the club management have it in them to do all this in one summer?

They can barely get 2 or 3 signings done in one summer.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I truly hope so. We need to be ruthless this summer and I hope we develop a plan right now (in and outs) so we can start early. No point in having all these players on our pay roll who are not committed. I hope we buy a few good players and promote promising youngsters and repeat the "you cant win anything with kids" with a great new manager

MichaelRed

Post SAF we weren't drowning in silverware but we did actually win all of the trophies except the big 2. We won the Community shield, league cup, FA cup & Europa league. Ole's "cultural reset" took us from winning the small trophies to winning absolutely sod all. It is going to take miracles to undo the damage he has done. We all know we do need the "biggest summer reset ever" but incomings and outgoings require two clubs and I can't see which clubs will be stupid enough to buy the crap we've collected.

Jericholyte2

I agree with you, but do you honestly think that the club management have it in them to do all this in one summer?

They can barely get 2 or 3 signings done in one summer.
Given previous track records I have no faith that they could do this. The only saving grace for me is the change of CEO, the new regime of technical directors etc, and Rangnick moving upstairs. Hopefully this can inspire more decisive action.

Smores

The club will rely on a new manager getting something out of largely the same squad. It's the cheaper option so that's what they'll go with.

A new manager that isn't an interim is likely to change the form of a couple of players. They certainly won't change the larger issues at play so yeah unless they're backed it won't be much of a reset.

Ideally the new manager integrates youth rather than relying on those with no future here.

Robaldo

I don't think the squad's as bad as it looks; the more worrying part is how inept we've previously been in recruitment.

I think we could bring in a possession-competent midfielder and a modern forward and we'd have one of the better squads in the league.

Maguire and AWB on top of the list to go.

amolbhatia50k

We both know we aren't going to do that.

(I fully agree with the post, I just don't see any of it happening).
I know. Nothing to suggest we will suddenly become well run.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The sheer number of players who appear to be leaving or looking to leave versus our apparent inability to sign more than max four players in one summer certainly makes for an interesting first transfer window for our new manager.

Speako

It starts upstairs. Unless the leaches are tempted with the list of consortia who are looking at potentially buying Chelsea, and think maybe now’s the time to take the money and run, nothing at all will change. No matter who is manager or who runs out onto the pitch to play. Behaviour breeds behaviour and the culture from the top down stinks to high heaven. Just watch McTominey’s response to that question yesterday, no denial, just anger and disappointment.

crossy1686

career ending
Everyone is on the chopping block except Sancho for me. The dressing room is completely toxic and the only way to solve it is a mass clear out of anyone that hasn't justified their wages in the last 12 months

Chairman Steve

It’s insane how much change needs to be done. Every month it feels like someone else needs to be added to the list.

Would love to know how Ralf actually feels about what he’s seen so far. That Community gif of Donald Glover walking into the room on fire with pizza springs to mind.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I started a thread a while ago listing player contract dates. A lot of players with 24 months or less remaining, so next two summers can pose as a good time to really clear the deadwood, rather than Phil Jonesing a lot of the players and needlessly extending. Richard Arnold has one hell of a task on his hands.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s not going to happen. All these players will not be replaced. We don’t have endless buckets of cash and the Glazers aren’t about to get their wallets out. If the club let all these players leave we will be at least 50% youth teamers next season and will endure misery and mid-tableness for years to come. Be careful what you wish for…..

Dan_F

It’s insane how much change needs to be done. Every month it feels like someone else needs to be added to the list.

Would love to know how Ralf actually feels about what he’s seen so far. That Community gif of Donald Glover walking into the room on fire with pizza springs to mind.
I would not be surprised at all if he walked away from the club completely and we found out via the press shortly after.

The sentiment in appointing him was correct and I hope the people near the top of the club have created a vision and want to stick to it, however I do think we may just go for Poch, hand him the players and say there you go choose two signings to go with them from this list.

Personally, I think we have two routes back to success.

1. We are easily looking at a 5 year rebuild to go down the ETH route. Look at how long it took Fergie to change the culture, that isn’t a quick fix for any kind of business. We will have to shift out players that want instant success and the ones that Rangnick has identified as being unable to play this system…although given he’s put AWB in the team, I’m not even convinced he’s doing that.

We basically become what Arsenal have the last couple of seasons unless ETH is an actual fecking genius, the fan base will be baying for blood after six months.

2. I do think there’s a decent team here if we can add quality in four positions. But that will require a big name who’s won it all and demands the respect of the players instantly. It’s the only way this group will start trying in my opinion, but I do think it could be more successful in the short term and help to build some kind of winning culture and mentality back.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Scenes when the starting XI on match day one next season is:

De Gea
Dalot Varane Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
Sancho Bruno Elanga
Martial