Billy No Mates Draft: R1 - Enigma_87/MJJ vs Gio

What would the score be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enigma_87

You know who
Cruyff doesn't get into an all-time XI either. It's a separate discussion though best saved for another thread.
Have to disagree with you there.

Cruyff is the best European player and the only 3 others that I can think of that can be on the same level are Messi, Maradona and Pele, possibly Di Stefano. The order between them is down to preference.

But if I have to build a team around a single player, I'd always take Cruyff, just for the ability to elevate the team to another level.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Nothing against Souness, think he's a great player as well. I would also pick him in an all time draft.

Like Aldo tho I think that he's not the man to stop Cruyff reach his very top. At the right setup he can be brilliant but IMO in this one he would fail in that task.
Basically you've slung a lot of shit in Souness' direction (on par with Effenberg / similar type of player as Effenberg / doesn't fit with Bozsik / doesn't fit with Iniesta / won't be comfortable in a three because he played in a two) and hoped some of it would stick. He'd be the best player on the park to do some sort of job on Cruyff. Of course Cruyff is the greater player and of course his influence will never be negated, but trying to give due credit or accurate appraisal of any of that Liverpool team that won all of those European Cups (while Keane gets lionised for a legendary semi-final performance) is sacrilegious on here. Understandably so, it's not RAWK after all.

Moby

Dick
Sorry Aldo but I don't think you get Souness if you're questioning his desire, attitude or commitment to the cause.
Also this Gio, these adjectives seem to be used for every legendary box to box central midfielder people talk about, and you won't run out of sources citing precisely the same attributes for Effenberg, who you yourself don't seem to rate very highly. It's as if every player who ran up and down the pitch automatically had 'desire and commitment', but for me that is one of the qualities that separates men from boys. I'm sure Souness has had numerous domestic and continental campaigns where he was at the heart of that Liverpool team, dominating the game, tirelessly winning the ball and then bringing it forward, but that for me simply doesn't automatically translate into 'desire to win'. That quality runs through someone not only on the pitch, but also in their personality. What I'm looking for here is that 'ego' where someone simply refuses to take a defeat no matter what, and turns that scenario in his favour through sheer will and determination. And once you combine that with the required technical footballing aspects, which Souness has in abundance, no doubt, you get yourself a match winner. I'm sure when Souness combined such qualities in both phases of the game, it certainly made a bunch of scousers go 'oh my god!' and what made him so invaluable for that Liverpool team, but you can be sure that with Bozsik, Iniesta and Zico in the same midfield, he sure won't be making the highlights reel for anything he can do on the ball, let alone getting a chance to do anything, with those players waiting for it themselves, which takes a bit out of what made him so legendary. It's not a lot different from playing Matthaus as a dedicated DM against the opponent's major threat but a) that's a waste of Lothar as well and b) Lothar has that ego, that perception that no man alive can be better than him and of course the talent to go with it that drove him forward against anything you could throw at him. At one point these players stop caring about who is against them, they are on a mission to win, end of discussion. I'll be more than happy to corrected if you can show me examples where Souness in a crucial game where he was up against the current and also performing a role that required a different skillset than what he was famous for, got the result through sheer grit and desire. Of course it is not fair to ask for example concerning similar players he's up against now, but I'll be happy to be educated about and reform my opinion on him because as things stand, I don't buy him in the job you've presented to him.

MJJ

Ah Zebec-gate. That was not fun.

Let's boil it down to the impact made by the two stars, Zico and Cruyff. It's a fairish assumption to make that mostly across the park players will cancel one another out. But these two have the greatest chance of overcoming their opposite number.

We deal with Cruyff positionally by placing Souness directly onto his position. As probably the greatest British central midfielder of all time, Souness has the calibre. He led his team to 3 European Cups (obviously they don't count as much as Johan's ;)) as their standout midfielder and overcame some giants of the era in Breitner and Falcao. He relished a battle and had the strength and will to impose himself physically. He anchored a 4-4-2 as the most defensive minded midfielder and had the cunning and know-how to shut out top players. He was also class on the ball and could dictate the game. Cruyff's standing in the game is superior than Souness', but it's a decent and natural match-up both positionally, mentally, physically and in terms of their respective positions.

Enigma/MJJ deal with Zico by asking Ruggeri to track him. They have no designated defensive midfielder so it's a bad match-up positionally from the off. It's also a bad match-up in terms of their respective qualities - Ruggeri an aerial machine, strong, robust, would relish coming up against a traditional target-man. But Zico is nothing of the type: he's diminutive, nimble, spins on a sixpence, shimmies past big centre-halves like they're not there.

And whether you rate Cruyff higher than Zico, or Zico higher than Cruyff (like I do), it's really a side issue. What matters is who they are up against and how their opposite number - if they've got one - can handle them. It seems glaringly obvious to me that Zico has a better chance of deciding the game.
Souness was a box to box midfielder, the british 4-4-2 didnt have room for a dedicated DM position, which you are playing him as. The role you have asked him to play is more suited to a desailly or a rijkaard. Its not even half a decent match up, cruyff is going to destroy him with his passing,vision and dribbling. Given that souness is only patrolling his area and not man marking cruyff, him going wide right or left is going to cause a lot of trouble for you as well.

You are forgetting the best defender on the pitch, baresi. Zico might shimmy past ruggeri but he still has to go past baresi which wont be an easy task at all.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Have to disagree with you there.

Cruyff is the best European player and the only 3 others that I can think of that can be on the same level are Messi, Maradona and Pele, possibly Di Stefano. The order between them is down to preference.

But if I have to build a team around a single player, I'd always take Cruyff, just for the ability to elevate the team to another level.
I'd say there is a top tier of Pele, Maradona and Messi, and a larger second tier comparising the likes of Beckenbauer, Platini, Cruyff, Zico, Di Stefano and a few others. Again, probably best saved for another thread.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
You are forgetting the best defender on the pitch, baresi. Zico might shimmy past ruggeri but he still has to go past baresi which wont be an easy task at all.
And where is Greaves during all of this? In the studio presenting Saint and Greavsie?

MJJ

Some odd remarks about Souness here, I must say.

For one thing he was much better defensively than Effenberg, and playing as an actual holder was much more a part of his natural game. So, saying they're both box-to-boxers of largely the same ilk is very misleading.

You can question Gio's specific choice here, but you can't claim Souness is unsuited to the role he's given. Effenberg, on the other hand, would look out of place in a role with such a defenensive remit. *

* Which isn't very relevant, but I mention it to highlight that they were indeed very different players in that regard.
I had him in a previous draft, and the easiest way to describe his role for me is a more defensive minded keane. But he was still a box to box mid, and not just a DM.

Like keane he can do a very good job there but a) that would limit his game and b) a very good job wont cut it against the class of someone like cruyff.

MJJ

And where is Greaves during all of this? In the studio presenting Saint and Greavsie?

Out on the left wing where you positioned him :D

As I said to mazhar in the morning, with no dedicated left winger, amoros will come inside and help defensively as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Basically you've slung a lot of shit in Souness' direction (on par with Effenberg / similar type of player as Effenberg / doesn't fit with Bozsik / doesn't fit with Iniesta / won't be comfortable in a three because he played in a two) and hoped some of it would stick. He'd be the best player on the park to do some sort of job on Cruyff. Of course Cruyff is the greater player and of course his influence will never be negated, but trying to give due credit or accurate appraisal of any of that Liverpool team that won all of those European Cups (while Keane gets lionised for a legendary semi-final performance) is sacrilegious on here. Understandably so, it's not RAWK after all.
I don't undermine Souness the way you are trying to with Effenberg. Souness was similar to Effenberg in his role. He was box to box. Let's not pretend that he always played as a DM in a midfield 3 or an anchor. Please....

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Also this Gio, these adjectives seem to be used for every legendary box to box central midfielder people talk about, and you won't run out of sources citing precisely the same attributes for Effenberg, who you yourself don't seem to rate very highly. It's as if every player who ran up and down the pitch automatically had 'desire and commitment', but for me that is one of the qualities that separates men from boys. I'm sure Souness has had numerous domestic and continental campaigns where he was at the heart of that Liverpool team, dominating the game, tirelessly winning the ball and then bringing it forward, but that for me simply doesn't automatically translate into 'desire to win'. That quality runs through someone not only on the pitch, but also in their personality. What I'm looking for here is that 'ego' where someone simply refuses to take a defeat no matter what, and turns that scenario in his favour through sheer will and determination. And once you combine that with the required technical footballing aspects, which Souness has in abundance, no doubt, you get yourself a match winner. I'm sure when Souness combined such qualities in both phases of the game, it certainly made a bunch of scousers go 'oh my god!' and what made him so invaluable for that Liverpool team, but you can be sure that with Bozsik, Iniesta and Zico in the same midfield, he sure won't be making the highlights reel for anything he can do on the ball, let alone getting a chance to do anything, with those players waiting for it themselves, which takes a bit out of what made him so legendary. It's not a lot different from playing Matthaus as a dedicated DM against the opponent's major threat but a) that's a waste of Lothar as well and b) Lothar has that ego, that perception that no man alive can be better than him and of course the talent to go with it that drove him forward against anything you could throw at him. At one point these players stop caring about who is against them, they are on a mission to win, end of discussion. I'll be more than happy to corrected if you can show me examples where Souness in a crucial game where he was up against the current and also performing a role that required a different skillset than what he was famous for, got the result through sheer grit and desire. Of course it is not fair to ask for example concerning similar players he's up against now, but I'll be happy to be educated about and reform my opinion on him because as things stand, I don't buy him in the job you've presented to him.
Have a look into Souness. The man had serious ego. "The magnificent bastard" is what we call him up here in Scotland. He was ruthless and uncompromising. It's an odd take to have on the player I have to admit.

MJJ

I'd say there is a top tier of Pele, Maradona and Messi, and a larger second tier comparising the likes of Beckenbauer, Platini, Cruyff, Zico, Di Stefano and a few others. Again, probably best saved for another thread.
Not related to this thread but I would put beckenbauer, cruyff and di stefano with the first group and messi after all five.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Like Aldo tho I think that he's not the man to stop Cruyff reach his very top.
I don't think he is either. But I don't read Gio's comments as indicating that he believes this will happen. If he had claimed that Souness will completely stifle Cruyff by shadowing his arse all over the pitch, he'd come across as unrealistic. But he doesn't claim that.

I almost get the impression that not being able to completely shut up Cruyff, means Cruyff will do as he pleases.

As mentioned before: The question is whether the Souness role (including his special brief to keep close tabs on Cruyff) is a tactical mistake in the sense that you will positively capitalize on it in one way or another. I don't see that as being the case.

Moby

Dick
Have a look into Souness. The man had serious ego. "The magnificent bastard" is what we call him up here in Scotland. He was ruthless and uncompromising. It's an odd take to have on the player I have to admit.
I can understand why it's an odd take on him for you, you are way more informed and likely a lot more accurate about him than I can ever be, but I'll still take it with a pinch of salt like I do with anto's take on SAM players, for obvious reasons. :)
And trust me, I've had a look into him before, and I've been mightily impressed by the combination of talents he possessed. Put him alongside say Rijkaard (obvious example is obvious) in a midfield and I won't look past it, however, this is a very specific job, against a very very unique player that requires not only talent but mental rigour, and loads of it, which is why I have had to dwell into this more than I would have had it been a typical number 10 against him. You very well know what qualities I'm speaking of, you have that in other players in your team, like Facchetti. I want to see Souness take the battle against Cruyff like his life depended on it, and absolutely not an inch less. All I need is to see whether he has that sort of unending passion to prove to everyone that there is no job he cannot do, no man he cannot beat, etc. That is what is needed here. It doesn't have to be overly emphatic and as long as the player is aware he's up against it and needs to put all of what he's got into the game and knows that he can, and Souness has that talent where he can do that, it's fine. I'll give you another example of what I'm talking of - Lilian Thuram against Croatia in 1998. It was only later where he half time thoughts were released with him saying "No one can stop me from winning this game today", but it was easy to see that on the pitch. Can Souness go into THAT zone?

Enigma_87

You know who
I don't think he is either. But I don't read Gio's comments as indicating that he believes this will happen. If he had claimed that Souness will completely stifle Cruyff by shadowing his arse all over the pitch, he'd come across as unrealistic. But he doesn't claim that.

I almost get the impression that not being able to completely shut up Cruyff, means Cruyff will do as he pleases.

As mentioned before: The question is whether the Souness role (including his special brief to keep close tabs on Cruyff) is a tactical mistake in the sense that you will positively capitalize on it in one way or another. I don't see that as being the case.
If Cruyff beats Souness in his zone he'll create advantage. And I can see that happening more often than not. Cruyff at speed I don't see Bozsik stopping him either so it will be up against Gio's central pair and will have wing option and also Henry up top. Having Figo/Giggs wide and Henry up top is a plethora of options for Cruyff, who can also finish the move himself.

Cruyff always engaged more than 1 player during the game and his surging runs always created advantage, I can't see a reason why he can't do that here.

Also we have Giggs/Figo/Cruyff/Henry on counter - that's deadly. We also have Effenberg and Gerson in the middle who are excellent passers and can find either of them with a surgical precision.

Gio needs both full backs to push up to create width, I'm fairly sure he'll capitalize on counter.

And if we score first especially I expect to kill it off on counter when we have the right players for it.

Not undermining Souness defensive acumen but if he's not tracking Cruyff all over the pitch ala Vogts he'll be facing him face to face when Cruyff drops to get the ball and turn. When they are one on one I really like Cruyff chances to create space.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I can understand why it's an odd take on him for you, you are way more informed and likely a lot more accurate about him than I can ever be, but I'll still take it with a pinch of salt like I do with anto's take on SAM players, for obvious reasons. :)
And trust me, I've had a look into him before, and I've been mightily impressed by the combination of talents he possessed. Put him alongside say Rijkaard (obvious example is obvious) in a midfield and I won't look past it, however, this is a very specific job, against a very very unique player that requires not only talent but mental rigour, and loads of it, which is why I have had to dwell into this more than I would have had it been a typical number 10 against him. You very well know what qualities I'm speaking of, you have that in other players in your team, like Facchetti. I want to see Souness take the battle against Cruyff like his life depended on it, and absolutely not an inch less. All I need is to see whether he has that sort of unending passion to prove to everyone that there is no job he cannot do, no man he cannot beat, etc. That is what is needed here. It doesn't have to be overly emphatic and as long as the player is aware he's up against it and needs to put all of what he's got into the game and knows that he can, and Souness has that talent where he can do that, it's fine. I'll give you another example of what I'm talking of - Lilian Thuram against Croatia in 1998. It was only later where he half time thoughts were released with him saying "No one can stop me from winning this game today", but it was easy to see that on the pitch. Can Souness go into THAT zone?
For sure. That kind of leadership and influence is what made Souness so pivotal in 3 European Cup successes. It's why most scousers would have him ahead of Gerrard, even accounting for his faux pas with the Sun. He was very vengeful and that same ego and lack of tolerance is why he fell out with many modern-day pampered players. Keane-esque in many ways, on and off the park.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Anyway, the game is all but done, so well played boys and good luck in the remainder of the tournament.

Enigma_87

You know who
For sure. That kind of leadership and influence is what made Souness so pivotal in 3 European Cup successes. It's why most scousers would have him ahead of Gerrard, even accounting for his faux pas with the Sun. He was very vengeful and that same ego and lack of tolerance is why he fell out with many modern-day pampered players. Keane-esque in many ways, on and off the park.
And Effenberg is not that kind of a leader?

Stefan Effenberg must rank high on the list of footballers you either love or hate. The 1.88-metre former Germany and Bayern Munich midfielder, a physically imposing presence who never shirked a challenge nor looked for a place to hide, struck fear into opponents' hearts. Driven by a burning desire to succeed, filled with a self-belief bordering on the arrogant, and never shy of a provocative statement or action, 'neutral' was never the dominant emotion towards the player from his own and opposing fans alike.

Effe was a real character. Few would dispute the fact that Bayern's 2001 UEFA Champions League triumph was in large part due to his quite unique leadership qualities. But the man capped 35 times by Germany, who was born in Hamburg and also played for Borussia Monchengladbach, Fiorentina, Wolfsburg and Qatar outfit Al Arabi, is also remembered for his curious inability to demonstrate the attributes which so benefited his clubs when he was representing his country.

An extrovert by nature, Effe always shouldered the burden of responsibility on and off the field of play. He always had an opinion, and he was never afraid to voice it. His choice of words made Effenberg, a member of the Team of the Century at both Bayern and Monchengladbach, a controversial figure among the sporting media, although the 41-year-old himself now spends part of his time as a studio expert for German TV.

Enigma_87

You know who
Anyway, the game is all but done, so well played boys and good luck in the remainder of the tournament.
Thanks, mate. All in all I think it is very good and interesting debate. It was bound to be a quality game this.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Just thought I'd point out on Andrade.. in one of my drafts I played him at right back and got criticised for it but I stand by my opinion that he'd thrive in such a role.

He was way ahead of his time in terms of physique, mixture of athleticism and technical quality.. great reader of the game. In the footage I saw, brilliant last ditch tackling but with a great measure of elegance attached to it and brilliant recovery speed. He was quick, very quick by defender standards.

So yeah, I am sure Anto can provide much more better testimony as to his abilities.. but all research and what little footage that exists suggests he was a little bit special.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If Cruyff beats Souness in his zone he'll create advantage. And I can see that happening more often than not. Cruyff at speed I don't see Bozsik stopping him either so it will be up against Gio's central pair and will have wing option and also Henry up top. Having Figo/Giggs wide and Henry up top is a plethora of options for Cruyff, who can also finish the move himself.

Cruyff always engaged more than 1 player during the game and his surging runs always created advantage, I can't see a reason why he can't do that here.

Also we have Giggs/Figo/Cruyff/Henry on counter - that's deadly. We also have Effenberg and Gerson in the middle who are excellent passers and can find either of them with a surgical precision.

Gio needs both full backs to push up to create width, I'm fairly sure he'll capitalize on counter.

And if we score first especially I expect to kill it off on counter when we have the right players for it.

Not undermining Souness defensive acumen but if he's not tracking Cruyff all over the pitch ala Vogts he'll be facing him face to face when Cruyff drops to get the ball and turn. When they are one on one I really like Cruyff chances to create space.
Yes, that's all well and good but I'm asking whether Gio's tactical decision to strengthen his defence by fielding Souness as a designated DM with instructions to keep tabs on Cruyff in the hole (see above, that is his actual brief) gives you any advantages compared to him NOT fielding Souness in this role. That's my question: You and MJJ seem almost to suggest that having a designated DM on the park somehow makes Gio more vulnerable to your basic modes of attacking - which seems absurd to me.

What he loses from this approach is Souness' offensive contributions, that is beyond doubt. That is the tactical choice he makes. From where I'm sitting, however, Souness' offensive contributions aren't crucially important to his success - not in this particular match, given how you set up.

Souness isn't the best imaginable designated DM in the world, nor the best imaginable man marker - but these facts doesn't mean Gio's tactics suddenly start working in your favour. Cruyff doesn't improve as a player from having a less than ideal marker on him, or from having a more crowded hole to operate in: Again, does Gio lose something specific and crucial from instructing Souness to play a conservative game here?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well the game's more alive than I thought - 16-14?

If we assume Cruyff has the beating of Souness, and also assume that Zico has the beating of Ruggeri, then we get two different situations. Nesta comes across to pick up Cruyff, then we go man-for-man. By contrast, Zico is then in and both him and Greaves have a 2v1 against Baresi. Cruyff still has another defensive line to penetrate - whereas Zico is basically in and has the equivalent of a tap-in.

I'd also add that I'd rate Souness' chances of keeping Cruyff reasonably quiet in his zone as greater than Ruggeri's. But the critical thing is the back-up plan, we have clearer cover in place through Nesta.

Ultimately any advantage gained by either Zico or Cruyff is more likely to have an impact for the Brazilian.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I remember reading somewhere that he played as a wing-half, almost akin to a modern wing-back, in a fairly reputable source (can't remember where)
Ah found it. By Glanville who is a fairly renowned writer.

Glanville said:
BY the time the first World Cup was played in Uruguay in 1930, English football was already in thrall to the third back game, or WM formation, introduced by Arsenal in 1925 as a response to the radical change in the offside law. Whereas in the past an attacker needed three players, in effect two defenders and the goalkeeper, between himself and the opposing goal when the ball was kicked, now he needed just two which in turn effectively meant one man and the keeper. But Germany apart, it would still be many years before the world game at large accepted, even understood, the new strategy, with its stopper or third back centre-half, flying wingers, so called wing halves moved into the middle of the park to play just behind the inside forwards, and full backs now out on the flanks pivoting in turn to cover the centre half. It is arguable that the Brazilians, most successful of all in World Cups, never really mastered the third back game at all. And the Italians, who would in time become obsessed by tactics, were incredibly slow to understand it.

Not till 1939, when he wrote an article on the subject in the Roman daily, Corriere dello Sport, did Fulvio Bernardini, once an outstanding attacking centre half himself, "explain" to Italy the difference between the old school which he called metodo and what an England team had just displayed in Milan against Italy, the third back game which he christened sistema. Yet England had played in Rome in 1933!

So in Montevideo there was never any doubt about what methods the 13 contestants would use. It was still a case of the two full backs covering the middle, the wing halves playing up and down the flanks rather like the wing backs of today, the centre half being fluid, always ready to support his attack, and what could often amount to a five man forward line though obviously its two inside forwards had to be ready to drop back to lend a hand in midfield. The wingers stayed wide, the centre forward would plie his trade through the middle. (Almost sounds like a modern 4-3-3 off the ball doesn't it?)

Uruguay, who had resplendently won the 1924 and 1928 Olympic titles, would still be wedded to such methods in the World Cups of the 1950s. Perhaps their chief strength, besides their dazzling technique, was their half back line known as The Iron Curtain long before Winston Churchill supposedly minted the phrase after World War II. The so called la costilla metallica consisted of Jose Andrade and Alvaro Gestido in the flanks, Lorenzo Fernandez in the middle. Billy Meredith, the famous Wales and Manchester United outside right, whose amazingly long career spanned World War I, was wont to say, "Show me your half back line and I'll tell you what kind of a team you've got." In the case of Uruguay, it was a very strong one indeed.

Andrade, something of an exhibitionist at times, and the broad shouldered Gestido were exceptional ball players and Gestido's passing was immaculate. That left Fernandez to break forward when he chose. The bulwark of the strong defence was Jose' Nasazi who as the right back played in the centre as full backs then would.

That's implied but not as clear as I should have made it. The formation picture shows Andrade a few yards deeper than Facchetti. I've also focused my team-talk spiel on the opportunity for the Italian to move forward to do what he does best, and I've said that, when that happens, we'd move to a back three. I'd also add, in the spirit of fairness about Andrade, I don't think he'd be ideally suited to a box-to-box Dani Alves style wing-back role - more elegant and less crash-bang-wallop. Hence why he'd complement Facchetti IMO.
Fair enough then.

Enigma_87

You know who
Come back to see Gio making almost a remarkable comeback :) Well done to @Gio for the discussion I think it ended up as a quality game.

MJJ

Good game @Gio, your tactics were brilliant to compensate for the difference in quality(to me atleast) between both our sides. Thought it would have been an easy win for us if you had gone 4-2-3-1 like us.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Good game @Gio, your tactics were brilliant to compensate for the difference in quality(to me atleast) between both our sides. Thought it would have been an easy win for us if you had gone 4-2-3-1 like us.
Had switched my vote to Gio indeed for his excellent backing up of his tactical set up.