Billy No Mates Draft

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Understandable, he's an unconventional wide player who's involvement in the game a lot of times cannot be observed easily, he's not the best dribbler, or an exceptional scorer or someone overly creative, but an all round player like him ends up influencing the game heavily. It's a great advantage having someone who will commit himself to defending and provide enough work rate and responsibility while at the same time being a dangerous attacking threat, specially his touch and go and then that rocket of a shot. As a keeper or a defender you have to constantly watch out for such players and it disrupts your concentration. Also he himself never knew which one was his strongest foot, adds loads of versatility to his game which again is valuable to have. Again, though, it's easy to understand why his greatness isn't 'apparent' as others. He's a great fit for a 442 that @Balu and @crappycraperson are playing, did the same in the Euro draft and loved having him there. The crux of it is balance.
I get that, but to me he has always been the guy who makes Great players be better without being great himself. That does tie in to the whole balance argument and in most draft scenario's I see it being a huge help because he is, by all means a very, very good player but if you take away his Ballon d'or which should've really gone to Thierry Henry and you are left with a good hardworking versatile player. To me that isn't enough for this company but maybe Balu can convince me otherwise.

Moby

Dick
I get that, but to me he has always been the guy who makes Great players seem better without being great himself. That does tie in to the whole balance argument and in most draft scenario's I see it being a huge help because he is, by all means a very, very good player but if you take away his Ballon d'or which should've really gone to Thierry Henry and you are left with a good hardworking versatile player. To me that isn't enough for this company but maybe Balu can convince me otherwise.
Whether he deserved that award is subjective but I for one don't take that as a reason to rate him highly, one can agree he was one of the best players in the world at that point. And had been for a while. Ever since he made his debut for the Czechs at Euro 1996 he showed that he was a rare individual who had that drive and determination similar to Keane's in addition to his skills that would always have him in the thick of things in a game.

He also destroyed Madrid that year, the team that dispatched us from the competition with ease, scoring 6 goals in two legs including a Ronaldo hat trick at OT.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I get that, but to me he has always been the guy who makes Great players seem better without being great himself. That does tie in to the whole balance argument and in most draft scenario's I see it being a huge help because he is, by all means a very, very good player but if you take away his Ballon d'or which should've really gone to Thierry Henry and you are left with a good hardworking versatile player. To me that isn't enough for this company but maybe Balu can convince me otherwise.
Well, that's kinda the point though? You don't pick Nedved to shine as brightly as Eusebio and Ronaldo. You pick him to make sure Eusebio and Ronaldo shine as brightly as they possibly can. Additionally to that he has plenty of standout moments both for his clubs (he was already sensational for Lazio without greater players around him) and for his nationalteam to deserve being up there and to say he wasn't great himself is way too harsh. It's sounds as if you count his selfless nature against him and that's something I won't ever agree with.

Moby

Dick
That's true. But he's not one who you build a team upon. He elevates your other stars and gets the best of them. Sum better than total stuff. And there are very few wide midfielders around. Best in a limited pool.
Like Balu said earlier he has a lot of moments specially for the Czech team that was pretty good both in 96 and 2004 which was completely built around him. Otherwise yes, he does all that what you said and you usually need a nice pass and move sorta setup where he's never isolated and gets to use players around him. e.g. you can have a shite attacking wise midfield in a team with Garrincha or Bestie coz they will single handedly destroy defenders, you can't do that with the likes of Nedved. Mainly also because he never just plays an attacking game, he'll always be back defending or playmaking from the middle and never constantly take on a fullback.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
O Capitano Do Tri.

Invictus/Theon: 1. Messi 2. CAT
Enigma_87/MJJ: 1. Beckenbauer 2. Nesta
Aldo: 1. Rijkaard 2. Cristiano
Balu/Crappy: 1. Ronaldo 2. Nedved
Physiocrat: 1. E. Figueroa 2. Zico
Tuppet: 1. Matthaus 2. Maldini
harms: 1. Desailly 2. Moore
Joga Bonito/Gio: 1. Puskas 2. Facchetti

Teams for the Quarterfinals

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Final teams for the quarterfinals:

1. Joga Bonito - 1. Maradona 2. Krol 3. Thuram 4. Breitner 5. Stoichkov 6. Monti 7. Tresor 8. Law 9. Gerets 10. Tardelli 11. Dasayev 12. Zizinho 13. Puskas 14. Facchetti
3. harms - 1. Pelé 2. P. Falcão 3. Rummenigge 4. Ferdinand 5. Lahm 6. Netzer 7. Bossis 8. Vierchowod 9. Busquets 10. Rensenbrink 11. Hellström 12. Streltsov 13. Desailly 14. Moore
5. Tuppet - 1. Alfredo Di Stéfano 2. G.Muller 3. Passarella 4. Jairzinho 5. Boniek 6. Junior 7. Hierro 8. Coluna 9. V. Andrade 10. Nasazzi 11. Davids 12. Cech 13. Matthäus 14. Maldini
6. Physiocrat - 1. Best 2. Neeskens 3. Luis Suarez M 4. Rivaldo 5. Vogts 6. Marzolini 7. Schweinsteiger 8. T. Silva 9. Carvalho 10. Vieri 11. Chilavert 12. Johnstone 13. Figueroa 14. Zico
8. Balu/crappy - 1. Eusébio 2. Scirea 3. Masopust 4. D. Edwards 5. Czibor 6. Lizarazu 7. Burgnich 8. Costacurta 9. Beckham 10. Banks 11. Seeler 12. Vidic 13. Ronaldo 14. Nedved
13. Aldo - 1. Garrincha 2. Romário 3. Rivelino 4. Zanetti 5. Xavi 6. Schuster 7. Cabrini 8. Tigana 9. Schulz 10. John Charles 11. Kempes 12. Mazurkiewicz 13. Rijkaard 14. Cristiano Ronaldo
15. Enigma_87/MJJ - 1. Cruyff 2. Baresi 3. Figo 4. Henry 5. Amoros 6. Giggs 7. J. A. Camacho 8. Effenberg 9. Gerson 10. Ruggeri 11. T.Cerezo 12. Jennings 13. Beckenbauer 14. Nesta
16. Invictus/Theon - 1. Platini 2. Van Basten 3. Sammer 4. Redondo 5. Gento 6. Cannavaro. 7. Briegel 8. Stam 9. Meazza 10. Neuer 11. Jorginho 12. Cash Cole 13. Messi 14. Carlos Alberto

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Nedved is a genuinely great player of a sort you don't come across too often.

That said, he is precisely the sort of player who tend to be borderline overrated by hipsters: He's not obvious, so hipsters adore him.

And most of us who involve ourselves in these drafts are hipsters to a degree. Most I say - not all. Could be that Nedved alienates the non-hipster set with all his hipsterish non-obvious, water carrier-ish (but with flair) bollix. I can see that, actually - it's potentially annoying. But then again I find pretty much everything potentially annoying.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Nedved is a genuinely great player of a sort you don't come across too often.

That said, he is precisely the sort of player who tend to be borderline overrated by hipsters: He's not obvious, so hipsters adore him.

And most of us who involve ourselves in these drafts are hipsters to a degree. Most I say - not all. Could be that Nedved alienates the non-hipster set with all his hipsterish non-obvious, water carrier-ish (but with flair) bollix. I can see that, actually - it's potentially annoying. But then again I find pretty much everything potentially annoying.
I never thought of Nedved as a hipsterish choice. I always thought he was rated as a genuine superstar, who maybe didn't deserve the Ballon d'Or the year he won it, but it didn't really matter all that much because as a sort of lifetime achievement award it was kinda okay. The same is true for Figo and his Ballon d'Or in my opinion.

Enigma_87

You know who
I never thought of Nedved as a hipsterish choice. I always thought he was rated as a genuine superstar, who maybe didn't deserve the Ballon d'Or the year he won it, but it didn't really matter all that much because as a sort of lifetime achievement award it was kinda okay. The same is true for Figo and his Ballon d'Or in my opinion.
I think because he was quite hard working type of attacking player and his general contribution was not appreciated to the level it should be. Yes he's always considered a solid player but IMO in the days he was a star for his teams, even stood out at the EURO 1996 when he was still at Sparta.

I think generally people think of Nedved as world class player from his time(like say Aguero), but IMO at his peak he was a bit more special than that.

Admittedly I too think that Henry deserved that Ballon D'or cause he was head and shoulders that year above everybody, but still Nedved's general contribution was something that deserved a notion. I don't think Ballon D'Or should be also that detrimental as for example Laudrup never won it so it's a bit of a moot point.

As for Figo tho I think he's generally better than Nedved(hence we picked him instead of the Czech of course) mainly because he really won it all and made huge impact whenever he went. He's top 5 right winger for me all time. Of course not sure how he would be rated by other voters. :)

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I hope you are happier defending against Der Bomber. :D
I'm slightly worried about the central core of Matthäus, Di Stefano and Müller, I admit that :D. Your man Scirea really has a bit work to do.

diarm

The spanking I received in the first round compounded by the fact that only one of my players is picked up as a reinforcement, and that as the 14th pick! :(