Music Black Country, New Road

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Any fans? They released their latest album 'Ants From Up There' in February and I think it's superb.

I am particularly obsessed with Concorde. I think it's beautifully constructed and I've not loved a song this much in ages. The build up at the end and then the instrumentation is gorgeous.

Another couple of songs from the album.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
First album got a lot of praise but I wasn't quite as keen on it. Bit too in keeping with a lot of the other post-punk bands that are knocking around.

The second album was a massive step up though, adding what sound like Arcade Fire and Bright Eyes influences. It's great.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
First album got a lot of praise but I wasn't quite as keen on it. Bit too in keeping with a lot of the other post-punk bands that are knocking around.

The second album was a massive step up though, adding what sound like Arcade Fire and Bright Eyes influences. It's great.
Yeah I much preferred this new album, and totally agree on the influences.

The first album, I just felt like they were too much of a Slint rip-off.

Hasn't the singer left the band now though?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Yep definitely some AF elements. Also reminded me a bit of Illinois by Sufjan.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yeah I much preferred this new album, and totally agree on the influences.

The first album, I just felt like they were too much of a Slint rip-off.

Hasn't the singer left the band now though?
Yep. The band are still going but will be playing all new material from now on. Be interesting to see how they fare.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Been a fan for a very long time (since they were called Nervous Conditions). Only managed to see them as BC, NR live once and it was at an outdoor festival full of dickheads, gutted I won't get to see Isaac belting out about breadcrumbs live.

As far as I'm aware, Tyler Hyde is taking over on vocals going forward. Her solo stuff (Tyler Cryde) is great so I have high hopes. She's also the daughter of yer man outta Underworld!

I loved the debut because it was essentially exactly as they were live at the time. Brash, energetic and unpredictable. Ants From Up There though, is already in my top 5 favourites of all time and has a very good chance at being number one. A genuine masterpiece.

Loved watching Jon Denton reacting to it on YouTube.

Zebs

Someone has made a bootleg album of all the new songs (bar one) taken from various live shows. Tis excellent.

Zebs

Some higher quality versions of the new music coming out on YouTube lately. I saw them perform it all live last month and it's honestly one of the most beautiful gigs I've ever seen.

Anyone going to the April/May tour? @Solius @sullydnl @jderbyshire

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Some higher quality versions of the new music coming out on YouTube lately. I saw them perform it all live last month and it's honestly one of the most beautiful gigs I've ever seen.

Anyone going to the April/May tour? @Solius @sullydnl @jderbyshire
Is it going to be the same without Isaac Wood? His voice is what makes so many of their songs great.

Zebs

Is it going to be the same without Isaac Wood? His voice is what makes so many of their songs great.
:lol: alright pal.

It's a different style without Isaac but I saw 'em in November in Brighton and it blew my mind how good they still are without him. Songs are still very raw but loads of potential.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
:lol: alright pal.

It's a different style without Isaac but I saw 'em in November in Brighton and it blew my mind how good they still are without him. Songs are still very raw but loads of potential.
Always intended to get round to replying :D

Zebs

:drool:

Zebs

The best band in the world.

IhabX7

It's bizarre how most music enthusiasts rave about them yet I find them un-listenable. What track could be a gateway in your opinion, @Zebs ?

Zebs

It's bizarre how most music enthusiasts rave about them yet I find them un-listenable. What track could be a gateway in your opinion, @Zebs ?
'Chaos Space Marine' is probably their most 'radio-friendly' tune. 'Sunglasses' is what did it for me.

'Concorde' is great too as @Solius says.

But tbh, they're never going to play those songs ever again so you'd be better off listening to that Bush Hall gig and seeing if any of it tickles your fancy as it's all brand new material. 'Pigs/Turbines' is honestly one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. (32:30 into that video)

IhabX7

Concorde maybe?
'Chaos Space Marine' is probably their most 'radio-friendly' tune. 'Sunglasses' is what did it for me.

'Concorde' is great too as @Solius says.

But tbh, they're never going to play those songs ever again so you'd be better off listening to that Bush Hall gig and seeing if any of it tickles your fancy as it's all brand new material. 'Pigs/Turbines' is honestly one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. (32:30 into that video)
Thank you, I'll get to it.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Any fans? They released their latest album 'Ants From Up There' in February and I think it's superb.

I am particularly obsessed with Concorde. I think it's beautifully constructed and I've not loved a song this much in ages. The build up at the end and then the instrumentation is gorgeous.

Another couple of songs from the album.

Thanks for posting. Concorde song is amazing.

Zebs

Didn't know they had an Album! Only heard the song 'Sunglasses' a few years ago and loved it, will give their Album a try.
They've two! And now a live album of all new material.

Zebs

Saw them on Friday. Mindblowingly good. Utterly captivating

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Saw them on Friday. Mindblowingly good. Utterly captivating
I listened to the new stuff and it was decent but I wasn't as into it as before. Is Isaac Wood going solo or what's his deal?

Zebs

I listened to the new stuff and it was decent but I wasn't as into it as before. Is Isaac Wood going solo or what's his deal?
Yeah, it's definitely a shift in sound but it just massages my brain in the right way, even more so than before. Can see why people wouldn't be totally enamoured by it though.

Not sure about Isaac but it seems the majority of his anxiety came from performing so I don't think we'll be seeing him any time soon if he does ever write more music. He did some solo stuff around the time BCNR formed but I think that was just for fun.

Zebs

Details of their third studio album being announced on Friday.

Hoping to see at least Turbines/Pigs make it into the studio from the songs on the live record but they did say that music was written with a specific intention in mind so remains to be seen if any of the songs on that live record make it into album three.

Nancy Tries To Take The Night and Horses are my favourites from the newer tracks they've been playing recently.

justsomebloke

I think they're absolutely brilliant - will be one of the bands that define this decade for sure. "Ants from up There" is an instant classic. Was gutted to miss their Oslo gig in October, it sold out before I even knew about it.

The new material, while lacking the coherence of AFUT, sounds really promising. I don't think they're done, or necessarily even much diminished.

Zebs

Details of their third studio album being announced on Friday.
Turns out this was an April Fool's. Bastard fan accounts.