Film Blade Runner 2049

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

LOS ANGELES, CA, JANUARY 25, 2016 – Sony Pictures Releasing International will distribute Alcon Entertainment’s follow-up to Ridley Scott’s 1982 masterpiece BLADE RUNNER in all overseas territories in all media; with Warner Bros. Pictures distributing in North America and Canada through its output agreement with Alcon, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-CEO’s Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson.

Denis Villeneuve is directing the film starring Ryan Gosling (The Big Short) and Harrison Ford (Star Wars) who is reprising his role as Rick Deckard. Hampton Fancher (co-writer of the original) and Michael Green have written the original screenplay based on an idea by Fancher and Ridley Scott. The story takes place several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.

Alcon Entertainment acquired the film, television and ancillary franchise rights to BLADE RUNNER in 2011 from the late producer Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic science-fiction thriller. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will produce along with Johnson and Kosove. Bud Yorkin will receive producer credit.

Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers. Ridley Scott will also executive produce.

The film marks Villeneuve’s third collaboration with 13-time Oscar nominee Roger Deakins, who will serve as cinematographer, following Alcon’s Prisoners and the hit drug-trafficking drama Sicario, which brought Deakins his latest Oscar nomination.

Principal photography on Villenueve’s new BLADE RUNNER film is scheduled to begin in July 2016.

States Kosove and Johnson: “We are excited to work with Tom Rothman, Michael Lynton and the entire Sony team on this very special project as well as maintaining our important and long-standing relationship with our domestic partner Warner Bros. Pictures.”

States Tom Rothman: “At Sony, we have made a strong commitment to the international marketplace. We know of few projects with greater international potential than the long dreamed of sequel to Blade Runner, especially given the all-star creative team Andrew and Broderick have assembled. We are deeply grateful to everyone at Alcon, Denis and Ridley for entrusting us with such a gift. Working on a Blade Runner film also fulfills a long-time personal ambition, as I deeply love and admire the original.”

Among its many distinctions, BLADE RUNNER has been singled out as one of the greatest movies of all time by innumerable polls and media outlets, and overwhelmingly as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications.

Released in 1982 by Warner Bros. Pictures, BLADE RUNNER was adapted by Hampton Fancher and David Peoples from Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and was directed by Ridley Scott, following his landmark film, Alien. The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction) and is now regarded by media and cineastes as one of the greatest movies of all time and the defining vision of the cyberpunk genre.

In 1993, BLADE RUNNER was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...rd-officially-starts-filming-in-july-20160125

When I first heard about it I was 'meh' but with Villeneuve and Deakins attached this might actually be good. I don't mind Gosling either and it seems Ford got some of his mojo back with his recent outing in Star Wars.

What say the Caf ?

Revan

Assumptionman
Find this completely pointless. It ended perfectly, no need to continue it.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
usually I would say bad idea

But Mad Max turned out well, who knows this could be good

GBBQ

Its a strange one, I thought Blade Runner was great but the ambiguity of Deckard will be answered one way or another and that kind of ruins one of the longest running talking points of the original theatrical release.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
Its a strange one, I thought Blade Runner was great but the ambiguity of Deckard will be answered one way or another and that kind of ruins one of the longest running talking points of the original theatrical release.
Yeah Scott said this about it a while back

Of course he’s a bloody Replicant! He’s going to have to admit it… I’m not going to tell you [how the question of replicant expiration is addressed]. You’ll have to see the story. It’ll all make sense.

Green_Red

It might be alright. Seen Gosling in this movie about Thailand the other night. Had a bit of a Bpaderunner feel to it. The first is a classic. Hope they dont ruin it

GBBQ

Well at least its Scott driving this. Would be worse if he hadn't been involved. seems strange that he wants this to be crystal clear moving forward but at the same time I reckon his advanced age is leading into more philosophical / spiritual meanings behind his movie so it might be why he wants to tell the story

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
He could be just trolling but if I was a betting man I'd guess that the start of the movie will be Gosling hunting down Ford. Seems too obvious.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I dislike Gosling so this may annoy me. Glad that Fancher co-write, though that's tempered by Michael Green having written Green Lantern (ffs).

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
This little article explains how I feel about a new Blade Runner:

Blade Runner, a self-contained masterpiece, will now become a franchise, which seems like a terrible idea. There’s been talk of a sequel for years, but now Sony pictures is going forward with the idea. Production begins in July and will re-unite Harrison Ford with one of the original screenwriters of the 1982 classic, Hampton Fancher. Ridley Scott, the original director, is notably absent; the new film will be directed by Denis Villenueve.

Blade Runner was never an open-ended franchise like Star Wars or Star Trek, with recurring characters and a large universe to investigate. Instead, it was very much a stand-alone story, not just in terms of its plot but also in its main theme: the need to accept finitude and death.

In one of the most memorable scenes in Blade Runner, Dr. Eldon Tyrell tries to convince the replicant he created of this necessity. “The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long,” Tyrell says. “And you have burned so very, very bright. ... Revel in your time.”

The original Blade Runner burned very brightly because it, too, had a sense of closure. Now it’s becoming just another franchise, with a longer life but likely a much duller sheen.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
But since they're making it at all, you could do worse than Villeneuve. I really like Prisoners, and I thought Sicario was decent.

Revan

Assumptionman
Decker looked Replicant in both movie and the book, although it was never explained, just some hints (the biggest one in the director cut release).

Ubik

Decker looked Replicant in both movie and the book, although it was never explained, just some hints (the biggest one in the director cut release).
Nah he wasn't in the book, just made to think so at one point.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nah he wasn't in the book, just made to think so at one point.
It wasn't ever told, but reading it, I got the impression that he's a Replicant.

I've read the book after watched the movie though, so I might have been seeing things that weren't there.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Villeneuve is an excellent director who'll do right by the material.
Yeah Villeneuve is a solid director, I wouldn't have immediately associated him with this but who knows... It'll depend hugely on the quality of the scenario though.
It might be alright. Seen Gosling in this movie about Thailand the other night. Had a bit of a Bpaderunner feel to it. The first is a classic. Hope they dont ruin it
Only God Forgives? Turd of a film;

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Harrison ford is past it to be honest. The director is one of the best out there today and Gosling is alright. Could go either way truth be told.

Green_Red

Yeah Villeneuve is a solid director, I wouldn't have immediately associated him with this but who knows... It'll depend hugely on the quality of the scenario though.

Only God Forgives? Turd of a film;
Could have been yea. I had it on in the background thought it looked ok. Shite is it?

Art Vandelay

Why would they make a replicant that's weaker than the other replicants to hunt these replicants down? I don't see the point of Deckard as a replicant.

I also think it should be left alone as a single brilliant film.

Ubik

Why would they make a replicant that's weaker than the other replicants to hunt these replicants down? I don't see the point of Deckard as a replicant.

I also think it should be left alone as a single brilliant film.
To see how human they could make one. Putting one into the outside world as a normal individual with no heightened strength (but an ability to pass a VK test) is a good experiment, and making its job to hunt down and kill its own kind seems appropriately human too.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
It's not a necessary film by any means but the problem with the majority of reboots these days is they grab some indie directors who's had one minor hit (Trank, Trevorrow) and put them in charge of a massive enterprise. Blade Runner doesn't have the commercial prestige and the people involved are of a lot higher calibre in a creative regard. In terms of relevant comparison you could look at Alien/Prometheus but even that had a series of intervening sequels. I'm not sure this is comparable to any of the spate of reboots/sequels and that's a good thing.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Disappointed this is being made. The original is an important enough film, should be left alone. Ridley Scott pissing away his legacy. Just feck off Ridley.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Disappointed this is being made. The original is an important enough film, should be left alone. Ridley Scott pissing away his legacy. Just feck off Ridley.
He doesn't care. He has said he makes films for himself and not other people so, if he wants this made he will get it made, regardless of mass opinion.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

There were other hints, I remember discussing the possibility after watching the original in the cinema, but I think that it was a nailed on certainty after the unicorn dream sequence was added to the Director's Cut and later iterations.

Leg-End

That's an excellent teaser, strong hope Villeneuveis gonna smash this.

Ubik

This film to me is like a human pyramid.

Fingeredmouse

Prometheus trailer looked great and the film was an abomination. This doesn't ease my terror of elderly Ridley Scott.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tidy trailer. I think it sounds excellent too.