Blue Cards to be introduced which will send players to the Sin Bin

suheilsworld

Teams facing Pool and City will get blue cards when they are leading or drawing against them to give the upper hand to City and Pool

Red_toad

So in 3 or 4 seasons they'll be reviewing the blue card as the fans don't like it?
Honestly never wanted VAR, don't want blue cards. All I crave are consistent & competent Refs. Let the game flow. No flag = goal and go crazy celebrating. So over the endless delays when scoring a goal, it's just wrong.

diarm

I’d love to see a transcript of the conversation where they decided on blue instead of orange.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
What exactly are you trying to show with your exhibits? Please include the rest of us too?
That the motivation for this silly idea is extremely focused on tactical fouls preventing counter attacks. This is not a major problem in the game that would warrant such a rule change, the yellow card works fine

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
If the back pass rule came in nowadays everyone would bitch and moan about it. But its the best rule to ever be introduced to the sport.

I don't mind the idea of a sin bin, the only worry is its implementation and the fact that these should be yellow card offences already, which would be enough of a deterrent if applied every time a cynical foul is committed.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Exhibit B @Pogue Mahone

See how insane the concept of introducing a card related to a single tactic is ridiculous?? I don't think the tactical foul is akin to the backpass
:lol: Why on earth do you think a few (well, two, to be precise) people on redcafe pointing out that this will help stop cheats spoiling counter-attacks is confirmation that the football authorities are introducing this with that specific tactic in mind?!

It’s about reducing cheating. That’s it. Less cheating is always a good thing. And it’s helping enforce rules that are already part of the fan. The introduction of the new no backpass rule really was intended to fundamentally change the way the game is played. The two things aren’t remotely comparable.

I can’t help but think your weird take here is influenced by your worship of Pep and the fact his teams so regularly employ the type of cheating this is intended to help stamp out.

arnie_ni

They don't book either of these discretions at the minute unless you play for united anyway so why bother.

Fernadinho made a career out of not getting booked for tactical fouls

Hughes35

Something else our useless refs can feck up
This is how I see it.

Consistency in these things is also impossible too. A ref gives a foul and the player says "Oh come on ref, I hardly touched him". Some refs will be giving blue cards for that and some won't,, and anybody that thinks that won't be the case is deluded.

You also know for a fact that in the first couple of months there would be blue cards galore and then they will stop giving them as much when the novelty wears off.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Why are we still talking about this when Fifa have come out and said it’s bollocks?!??

arnie_ni

That the motivation for this silly idea is extremely focused on tactical fouls preventing counter attacks. This is not a major problem in the game that would warrant such a rule change, the yellow card works fine
The yellow card doesn't work fine because the refs don't use it as per the rules.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
The sin bin or as it’s termed in the FA rules is a temporary dismissal has been in non league football at step 7 , which is County Premier league football for a couple of years and believe it or not it has bought about a significant change in terms of discipline and cynical fouls.
I don’t like comparing sports like Rugby with football but by and large the referee’s in Rugby do get more respect. Of course there are rules in football that if fully enforced would bring about far more self discipline from the players

ROFLUTION

It's a bit weird to add an extra layer when VAR is not even working.

Also - like VAR - it just fecks with a game that to a large extend has worked just fine for 160 years.

Edit: Oh FIFA has clarified that it's not planning to implement it as of now.

Ananke

Honestly I think this is just going to cause more drama. Was it cynical, was it accidental, was it dissent?

Just throwing fuel on the fire they can’t even put out currently.

FortunaUtd

it's a tough one. Because I think fans have already started to become discontented with changes to the game especially with VAR and it's sometimes dodgy implementation.

However, there is little more frustrating as a football fan seeing a great counter attacking opportunity getting ruined by a cynical foul. Seeing a player like Nacho getting pulled to the ground by the shirt as he's about to burst into open space just takes the piss and ruins the game.

I think sin bins for obvious, cynical rule breaking should be implemented but give enough time for fans to absorb the changes. Maybe in 2-3 years. Might be a revelation like how introducing the back pass rule changed football
I agree. But that is what yellow cards are for. You can do it once, and not again or you are off. As has been said before, the rules are fine, referees need to enact them consistently.

We need an rvn

It's a brilliant idea to reduce the abuse and swearing the referees have to put up with - however there has to be consistency amongst the referees towards across the board in each match, but also to the players (we all know some superstar players get favourable treatment over others)

justsomebloke

Blue cards are set to be introduced for football sin-bins, with players removed from field for 10 minutes for cynical fouls or dissent, what are your thoughts on this idea?

Other than the horror of the idiot phrase "Sin Bin", I think that's a pretty good idea, well worth trying. It'll have much less impact than in hockey or Basketball, but it will matter. Will put even more pressure on the refs though. Not sure I like the inclusion of dissent - it's hard to judge objectively, especially for spectators, so is likely to drive disaffection.

Ibi Dreams

realistically this is gonna be a shit show. It will be the same as VAR, every week refs will fail to be consistent in how they apply it, often in the same match

Hammondo

But clearly it doesn't, it's evident by the amount of tactical fouls.

mctrials23

realistically this is gonna be a shit show. It will be the same as VAR, every week refs will fail to be consistent in how they apply it, often in the same match
I think this is the problem. Introducing even more massively match changing decisions for referees to cock up is not a good idea. Its not a bad idea intrinsically but imagine when smaller teams are playing the big boys and in the last 15 minutes they commit a couple of blue card offences. They are down to 9 men, dead on their feet and then the other team makes 2 quality subs to tear them to pieces.

The other danger is that badly timed tackles will be considered professional fouls. Most teams would rather their player got a yellow than lose them for 10 minutes if they make a little mistake.

And we know that at certain grounds they will be bullied by the crowds/managers....

Hammondo

Other than the horror of the idiot phrase "Sin Bin", I think that's a pretty good idea, well worth trying. It'll have much less impact than in hockey or Basketball, but it will matter. Will put even more pressure on the refs though. Not sure I like the inclusion of dissent - it's hard to judge objectively, especially for spectators, so is likely to drive disaffection.
Well maybe it will stop any player from saying anything remotely like it, and be more like Rugby.

Hammondo

I think this is the problem. Introducing even more massively match changing decisions for referees to cock up is not a good idea. Its not a bad idea intrinsically but imagine when smaller teams are playing the big boys and in the last 15 minutes they commit a couple of blue card offences. They are down to 9 men, dead on their feet and then the other team makes 2 quality subs to tear them to pieces.

The other danger is that badly timed tackles will be considered professional fouls. Most teams would rather their player got a yellow than lose them for 10 minutes if they make a little mistake.

And we know that at certain grounds they will be bullied by the crowds/managers....
I imagine in that situation they could get a yellow and a blue.

Spark

This is only being introduced in grassroots football. Doubt we'll see this in professional leagues for a long time yet. (They have to run the trial, assess the results, etc etc).

Sounds shit though :lol:

buchansleftleg

These blue cards will quickly become known as a "Bus Pass" as any team temporarily reduced in numbers by one will just try and park the bus for the 10 minute sin bin period.

I like the idea of something short of a yellow card as there are countless times when players get a second yellow and sent off for 2 very minor offences. As others have said - the 10 minutes of sin bin time needs to be actual time with the ball in play, otherwise teams will not just park the bus but also massively try and waste time.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
This is only being introduced in grassroots football. Doubt we'll see this in professional leagues for a long time yet. (They have to run the trial, assess the results, etc etc).

Sounds shit though :lol:
The Telegraph article did say we could see 'elite trials' begin as soon as next summer though. They mention a possibility of the FA volunteering it to be trialed in next season's FA Cups (both men and women).

But yeah in any case it would likely take a couple years minimum for it to be implemented globally.

Brightonian

Pointless. Any benefits of this could be achieved with better use of red and yellow cards.

Why the constant moves to overcomplicate a game which is always at its best when it's at its simplest?

antk

The Telegraph article did say we could see 'elite trials' begin as soon as next summer though. They mention a possibility of the FA volunteering it to be trialed in next season's FA Cups (both men and women).

But yeah in any case it would likely take a couple years minimum for it to be implemented globally.
FIFA shut this down yesterday.

Tony247

Ref should also be made to explain on the field, the reason for every type of card.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
What about a blue and yellow?
Also a red, according to the article. Any combination of two yellow or blue cards (2Y, 2B or Y+B) would be upgrade to a red.

Seems a bit shite if you ask me.