Booing during national anthems...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I like it. I'd do it and I think it's hilarious.

Disrespect to your opponent is part of the fun of being a football fan.

There are times where football fans should and do show respect (minutes silences for example) but during a played recording of a song? feck that and feck you.

I would be a happy man if the entire Wembley crowd, all the stewards, coaches and England players drowned out the Italian national anthem (absolute banger that it is) with a chorus of boos.

I sometimes even boo God Save the Queen, just because it's so shit.

BFernandes

God save the queen is so dire and depressing. Looking forward to hearing the US one at the world cup, I like that one.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Yeah, it's just theatre as far as I'm concerned. Folk can boo ours as loud and often as they like.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Football fans should boo more things to be honest.

Player being stretchered off? Boo... Legend coming back to salute the crowd? Boo... Child Mascots? Boo... Fred standing over a free kick? Boo

I like it. I'd do it and I think it's hilarious.

Disrespect to your opponent is part of the fun of being a football fan.

There are times where football fans should and do show respect (minutes silences for example) but during a played recording of a song? feck that and feck you.

I would be a happy man if the entire Wembley crowd, all the stewards, coaches and England players drowned out the Italian national anthem (absolute banger that it is) with a chorus of boos.

I sometimes even boo God Save the Queen, just because it's so shit.
if we win in Sunday, to celebrate, we should get Fat Boy Slim (or a more up to date reference…) to do a remix. I’d buy that for a dollar.

England fans boo their own players for making an anti-racism gesture - with that level of cognitive functioning it's hardly a shock they boo other countries national anthems.

Thick cnuts.

Classical Mechanic

Personally I hate it. If someone boo'd ours I wouldn't care but I think it really insults some folks from other countries that take that stuff more seriously.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
England fans boo their own players for making an anti-racism gesture - with that level of cognitive functioning it's hardly a shock they boo other countries national anthems.

Thick cnuts.
True.

I also agree with booing our own anthem just for the bants. Why not if anything goes :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I hate it. I’d much rather we were capable of winning with class.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wouldn't bother me, though it obviously shows a lack of class in comparison to respecting the anthem and has earned England a UEFA charge. It fairly pales in comparison to booing the players for taking a knee though.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I like booing anthems but I think a line should be drawn when it becomes an attack on a head of state.

When you start booing the Queen's anthem after everything she's done for the commonwealth and during the war I think this shows poor character. However the anthems that just talk about the countries themselves should be booed if you want.

El Zoido

I dislike it, it shows a lack of class. Personally I don’t think it’s part of the “banter” of football support, it’s disrespectful and unnecessary. The anthem represents the country and the people, save the booing for the team. Imo.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don't know why, but doing this when you're playing at home seems even worse for some reason.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Imagine being precious a out a song being booed.

"But it's important to them"

Aye, and YAWN is important to the scousers, but we still take the piss.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm fine with it, too. Just the same as when fans boo Liverpool fans singing you'll never walk alone. It's nothing worth taking serious. We're egging on our team and trying to unsettle the opposition.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's embarrassing and shows a complete lack of respect. But that's the English way quite often... See also the complete lack of empathy for the Danes at the end of the game from our team last night given all they had gone through in this tournament. We were wrapped up in ourselves to the point where nothing else matters.

JustAGuest

Personally I hate it. If someone boo'd ours I wouldn't care but I think it really insults some folks from other countries that take that stuff more seriously.
Exactly. If it meant nothing, then why have the anthems played in the first place? It's not difficult to be silent for 30 seconds to show respect for the opposition.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I like booing anthems but I think a line should be drawn when it becomes an attack on a head of state.

When you start booing the Queen's anthem after everything she's done for the commonwealth and during the war I think this shows poor character. However the anthems that just talk about the countries themselves should be booed if you want.
After everything "she has done".
You are well named.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I dream of the US National anthem being booed
Wait, how did we get brought into this?

Edit: to be honest I bet 20% of my countrymen have no idea where Europe is, much less what the Euros are.

Edit 2: our anthem sucks so I usually just ignore it

edit 3: on third thought boo away

It's embarrassing and shows a complete lack of respect. But that's the English way quite often... See also the complete lack of empathy for the Danes from our team last night given all they had gone through in this tournament. We were wrapped up in ourselves to the point where nothing else matters.
What lack of empathy for the Danes?

we all sang along to the song about 20 mins before kick off (I say hummed as we didn’t know the words), one of the loudest cheers of the night was when it was revealed Eriksen 10 was on the Danish shirt during the pre-match ceremony.

After the whistle goes, it’s back to football - as everyone would expect, inc the Danish.

So with all due respect, you are spouting shit.

Sweet Square

Nah I think there's something really cnuty and backwards that comes with booing a national anthem.

James_42

The American one is shite, and the fact they play it before almost every sporting event is rather odd.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I dream of the US National anthem being booed
They'd call in the big guns to talk about it. Stephen A Smith would find it 'absolutely despicable'. Max Kellerman would play the devils advocate because, well that's what he's there for I think, to take the opposite position to whatever Stephen A says.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
They'd call in the big guns to talk about it. Stephen A Smith would find it 'absolutely despicable'. Max Kellerman would play the devils advocate because, well that's what he's there for I think, to take the opposite position to whatever Stephen A says.
Depending on the state this might have another meaning

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I wouldn’t usually condone booing, but I would make an exception for Denmark after being made to walk for an hour through Copenhagen to see their shit little mermaid statue. Boooo.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches

Thick cnuts.
It's not an anti-racist gesture though, considering the people who came up with it are massive racists themselves. Attacking white people and calling any minority, especially if they are black, coons and all sorts of horrible words.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I wish England changed their national anthem to I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor. Then I'd happily support them :lol:

shaky

I wish England changed their national anthem to I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor. Then I'd happily support them :lol:
I'd like to see YMCA as the anthem. Would make for a far greater spectacle, with all the players doing the dance moves while singing. The Birdie Song would also be acceptable.

SirAF

Ageist
I don’t mind it, I’m more annoyed by those offended by it!

Dante

Average bang
Yeah, it's just theatre as far as I'm concerned. Folk can boo ours as loud and often as they like.
It's not just theatre. It's pantomime.

It's the footballing equivalent of people hissing at the evil godmother in Cindarella.

But people take their nationalistic emblems with different levels of seriousness. The US, for example, love the flag. The UK love its head of state. Saudi Arabia loves its state religion. I can understand it if there are people in other countries who think of their anthems the same way.

It is disrespectful. But I don't think it's intended to be so. And I really don't think it's meant to be nasty.