Booing our players...

hp88

Those of you who would boo him, what would it achieve? Are you hoping that he would notice your anger and improve the next game?

kf

Don't really give a feck what people outside Old Trafford do... those of us in the ground are supposed to be 'supporters'. There's a clue in the name. If you want to boo, feck off and boo in the pub.

MoneyMay

Don't really give a feck what people outside Old Trafford do... those of us in the ground are supposed to be 'supporters'. There's a clue in the name. If you want to boo, feck off and boo in the pub.

Exactly. If fans treat football like a commercial transaction, which some have done on this forum, then you have to behave like rational customers. I hate this notion that when you buy a ticket for whatever price, your team has to play attractive football and the players have to perform at great levels, just so that you are satisfied. Football isn't like that.

Fans are fickle. The booing really doesn't help and listening to the opinions on Nani after the game says it all. The inconsistent argument re-emerged, when he's been consistently good (not great) this season.

Name Changed

weso26
I was initially annoyed by the booing but then I thought about it a bit more and actually why shouldn't fans boo if they are angry and think the players aren't showing enough desire and commitment playing for this club they support?

Fans clap and cheer players, even hero worship them and give them lots of praise when they do well so should it not be ok for them to criticise and get angry when they feel let down? Who decided that the only emotions allowed to be shown by football fans to their team should be affection and happiness?

Sitting in silence is very passive and can be taken as indifference. perhaps without the Fergie hairdryer waiting for them the players did need to hear that there were seventy thousand people watching them who were really disappointed in the performance. The same people probably went nuts when Hernandez scored after all.

Our crowd very rarely boos our players so that wasn't really a knee jerk reaction. blind faith and loyalty isn't necessarily a good thing.
I agree.

I wouldn't boo any players personally, but I think fans have the right to boo if it's a legitimate thing they are booing for. As I said though, it's not something I would ever do.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
I agree.

I wouldn't boo any players personally, but I think fans have the right to boo if it's a legitimate thing they are booing for. As I said though, it's not something I would ever do.
Sure they have a right to boo but what's the point? All they do is knock the confidence of the player and give the advantage to the opposition. If they just used a bit of common sense before they booed then they'd only boo the opposing team.

Plugsy

Booing your own player under any circumstance is an absolute no-no. Look, Nani played like dog-shit but he didn't do it deliberately. He was out there running around, being completely ineffective but running nonetheless - to try and change the fortunes of his team. Okay he was terrible at it - but feck sake don't boo the lad for it. If you want to get on message boards and radio phone-ins after the show to say "Nani showed why he'll never be little more than a rotation option" - I wouldn't argue. But for your own fans to boo you, I think it's highly distasteful.

Member 39557

I'd say you have more right to be angered to the point of booing if you've paid hard earned money to see somebody put in what you perceive to be a lacklustre effort. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I certainly understand it and I wouldn't be annoyed by it unless I thought the player had tried hard/played well. At least people in the pub haven't shelled out the price of a ticket to watch half-arsed mediocrity.

Plugsy

Why does paying money make a difference? That is then surely the defence against any criticism of booing

0-0 half time? Booo. "I've paid my money, I'm entitled"

Winning a match but misplacing a few passes? Booo. "We've given our hard earned cash we expect players to concentrate."

If paying money to watch something is a defence of booing then it's equally a defence in the above scenarios. We're not supposed to be a passive, neutral audience. We're fans. It's not like the cinema where you pitch up, pay £8 or whatever it is, and expect to be entertained. If you want to boo Ben Afleck or Demi Moore - fine. But we're supposed to be fans who support the team and not have some kind of degree of self-entitlement on the basis that "we've paid!"

Member 39557

Why does paying money make a difference? That is then surely the defence against any criticism of booing

0-0 half time? Booo. "I've paid my money, I'm entitled"

Winning a match but misplacing a few passes? Booo. "We've given our hard earned cash we expect players to concentrate."

If paying money to watch something is a defence of booing then it's equally a defence in the above scenarios. We're not supposed to be a passive, neutral audience. We're fans. It's not like the cinema where you pitch up, pay £8 or whatever it is, and expect to be entertained. If you want to boo Ben Afleck or Demi Moore - fine. But we're supposed to be fans who support the team and not have some kind of degree of self-entitlement on the basis that "we've paid!"
My argument was based on people being more justified to be annoyed if they'd paid to get in than if they were stood in a pub. I said I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.

Football fans are passionate by nature, the same people that are moved to tears by a dramatic late cup win are just as likely to be emotional enough to boo with frustration when they think somebody isn't trying hard enough to represent the club. I don't get the reasoning that if you are a big enough fan to attend the game then you aren't allowed to boo. I don't boo and never have booed, but I accept that people have the right to do it if they see fit.

mufcwarm92

The 'well I've payed so I'll do what I want' argument is a lazy one formulated by those too thick to find a valid excuse for their pathetic behaviour. Booing a team off might act as a kick up the backside so there's a thin justification for those who pride themselves in that sort of shite but to single out a particular player for abuse is completely counter intuitive.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What about if a dive led to a penalty that won us The Champions League..How would you feel then?
We won by cheating or just elated?
Elated. That we won. Young would not become a hero to me or anything though.

Perhaps all it would do is earn him a temporary reprieve from lamenting at the fact that he was on the pitch for us in a CL final in the first place!

Salfordlad70

Ashley Young should be booed for diving.
Ashley Young should be nowhere near the team and sold asap! Send him to Coventry on loan perhaps?! If he is selected I won't boo, but there will be many that will and that includes both sets of suppoerters.I don't hate him,but I dislike his attitude to playing the game and I hope he fecks the feck off!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Why not?

Fans usually do not boo for all losses, but a insipid performance like that deserves a kick in the backside. You can have one or two out of form players, but a whole team playing disinterested is something not acceptable.
Who gives the fans a kick in the backside when they dont perform?. The Players?, that wouldnt go down well would it

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
oh bollocks. Fans can lift a team thats playing badly but the trouble is some fans seem to think its a one way street.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
oh bollocks. Fans can lift a team thats playing badly but the trouble is some fans seem to think its a one way street.

Some 'fans' are different at OT than at a Mayo or Dublin game or a United game 20 years ago. They are there to be entertained, they are not really woven into the club the way they were. That's why my live sport these days is GAA. I love the buzz of the 'involved' crowd.

Boothy

Booing is just counter productive, and quite frankly a cnuts trick. Leave it to the London clubs.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Support and cheers only meaningful if there's a potential boo on the other flip of the coin

If supporters are like drone and support at every thing thrown at them, the meaning of support itself will be devalued. and sometimes a kick in the backside is what the players need.

Kag

Support and cheers only meaningful if there's a potential boo on the other flip of the coin

If supporters are like drone and support at every thing thrown at them, the meaning of support itself will be devalued. and sometimes a kick in the backside is what the players need.

The crux of your point is fair. But Manchester United supporters, after 27 years of consistent success, booing their players because they are losing 2-1 to Stoke? That's ridiculous.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The crux of your point is fair. But Manchester United supporters, after 27 years of consistent success, booing their players because they are losing 2-1 to Stoke? That's ridiculous.
Success does not give right to play bad. Fan booing is the best wake up call a team can have. They don't boo after every loss. Only when things get pedestrian beyond limits.

hp88

Success does not give right to play bad. Fan booing is the best wake up call a team can have. They don't boo after every loss. Only when things get pedestrian beyond limits.
If a player is having a poor game the manager will give him an earful at FT. It's our job to support them whilst they're on the pitch regardless of how they're playing, If you can't get your head around that then there's no point in going to the game.

Kag

No, but it should mean there should be a little perspective. To fans of other clubs around the country, the thought of Manchester United supporters booing their players after decades of guaranteed success is nothing short of spoiled and simply laughable.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
If a player is having a poor game the manager will give him an earful at FT. It's our job to support them whilst they're on the pitch regardless of how they're playing, If you can't get your head around that then there's no point in going to the game.
Read the part after what you have made bold. Self explanatory.

No, but it should mean there should be a little perspective. To fans of other clubs around the country, the thought of Manchester United supporters booing their players after decades of guaranteed success is nothing short of spoiled and simply laughable.

So what, aspiring continuously for success is not spoilt. Every team's fans want and aspire for ir. Again you miss the distinction I make... a hard fought loss is always appreciated. A loss because we were lazy and did not put in effort is not. Every match fans expect the player to give their best and that's all. I did not see booing after the Real Madrid game. It's when (usually after a string of bad performances) that fans give their wake up call, and to call that spoilt is just ridiculous!

Kag

So what, aspiring continuously for success is not spoilt. Every team's fans want and aspire for ir. Again you miss the distinction I make... a hard fought loss is always appreciated. A loss because we were lazy and did not put in effort is not. Every match fans expect the player to give their best and that's all. I did not see booing after the Real Madrid game. It's when (usually after a string of bad performances) that fans give their wake up call, and to call that spoilt is just ridiculous!

You think we were struggling because the players weren't putting the effort in? No way. Our problems this season have all been tactical and a result of no link between midfield and attack. Static and predictable. The notion that players that have worked their arses off for years would suddenly stop putting in the effort is rubbish. And in any case, the player who was booed was visibly trying to positively influence the game, he was just shite. That is the distinction.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Booing is completely common in football in this country, it happens most matches in the lower leagues like you wouldn't believe. And they are the so-called "proper" football fans. There's no need to get precious about it at all.

Crono

:rolleyes: feck up you complete weapon.

Anyone at Manchester United only 'plays badly' in spite of all efforts. For the players to give their best is all supporters can ask for. We don't have a right to good football or a right to "boo" like tossers when we don't get it.