Boring Manchester United

hycool

CR7 fanboy
Just a show of hands, if one day Man Utd will to play effective, boring football and win trophies, who will not be happy with it?

For me I don't mind, as long as we win cups and medals, even if it means seeing 1-0 wins most of the time.

And, will we lose fans who came to us because they love our swash buckling attacking football?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I always want attacking football at Utd, even if that meant League 2.

I'd still be at Accringon away on a Wednesday night :cool:

Thats a tough one. The traditions of this club demand entertaining attacking football. But its also important to keep achieving success whenever possible. I would say that its impossible to play good football throughout a whole season and there are times you need to grind it out. But our swashbuckling style must always remain.

TomCat

Winning is the most important thing to me.

Of course it would be great to see my team play some samba/Brazil 70's type of football and win every game 6-0, but that's not the main point. Whatever helps my teams win is ok with me, as long as it's not blatant cheating.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Just a show of hands, if one day Man Utd will to play effective, boring football and win trophies, who will not be happy with it?

For me I don't mind, as long as we win cups and medals, even if it means seeing 1-0 wins most of the time.

And, will we lose fans who came to us because they love our swash buckling attacking football?
Despite winning trophies, I still think I would be quite dissapointed, considering the vivid history of our club, and the manner in which we have won things in the passed.

Would be hypocritical of me to say otherwise, considering what I thought of Chelsea during their two years of domination.

Decotron

Attack Attack Attack Attack Attack. Dont think the hard core would accept anything else. Plus its what the clubs history and traditions were built on.

Is this around about way of saying you want Jose when Fergie calls it a day?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I always want attacking football at Utd, even if that meant League 2.

I'd still be at Accringon away on a Wednesday night :cool:
I wouldn't expect you to be satisfied if we went down after losing games by 6-3 etc.

I'd be fine with that, for me every United game is exciting and in fact winning 4-0 is usually more boring than 1-0 or 2-1.

Tottenham were exciting last season, and a failure as well.

Wembley Red

93, 94, 96, 97, 99, 00, 01, 03, 07, 08, 09...10
I think a balance is needed, which is what we showed last season beautifully. We could smash teams when we had to (Arse 4-0) but could show great defensive performanes when needed. (Barca both legs) Playing ugly is needed sometimes, but as long as its not all the time and tradition of playing free attacking football is the main priority, then I have no problem with it.

KeyserSoze

Batigol > Bauer
Attacking, exciting football is what I will always want. The club wont change in that way.

Trophies come second for me personally.

RapidRed

feck that. Attacking, entertaining football, with talented young players not afraid to express themselves is what supporting United is all about for me. Results and trophies are just a bonus.

If it was all about results, I would'nt go to games or even watch games. I would just see the score at the end. How the result is got is what football is all about.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

It would be disgraceful if we did imo, but it seems possible. I'd probably rather be relatively unsuccessful(compared to recent times) and play beautiful football than be extremely successful and play boring football*, but I would accept either way.

*This is something I've given very little though to, pretty much an instinctive decision so I may disagree with myself if I give it more thought.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
Although having said what I did above, our performances in the Champions League knockout stages were extremely professional and although were fraught with tension, we hardly played mind-blowing football.

Despite this, it doesn't detract for me one bit from our brilliant achievement in winning the competition.

So ultimately it's an incredibly difficult question.

Wembley Red

Im sure many Arse fans would disagree with most of you. Until you know what its like to go so many years without a trophy, then i doubt many people can talk.

Lets put it this way, if Chelsea had won the premiership and CL last year, and we had lost I would not have thought 'oh forget those trophies they were just going to be a bonus, im so glad we played good exciting atacking football this year and got feck all'

every attacking team needs a balance. tell me one succesfull one that has not had to buckle down and grind a few results out once in a while.

hycool

CR7 fanboy
Agree with most of you, giving it further thought, I find it more difficult to answer my own question. No doubt the United tradition is beautiful attacking football, but when it comes to difficult games, tactics must change.

For me the 1st half of the CL final against Chelsea last season was one of the most atonishing attacking football we ever played, and I think it took them by suprise and some time to get back on their feet.

hycool

CR7 fanboy
Ultimately trophies will still determine how successful a club is, regardless of what kind of football is played to win them?

Hard to decide, esp when both winning trophies and attacking football is always our philosophy, but when attacking football cant win you trophies, then...

Veron

Varun
I couldn't care if UNITED played in the conferance league,i love the spirit with which we play football and as long as that's there i'm happy,i don't care about the trophies that much.What would the difference be betwenn you and a gloryhunter when all you care is about trophies and not the very thing why we watch football ?

Wembley Red

I couldn't care if UNITED played in the conferance league,i love the spirit with which we play football and as long as that's there i'm happy,i don't care about the trophies that much.What would the difference be betwenn you and a gloryhunter when all you care is about trophies and not the very thing why we watch football ?
because football is also about winning the game itself. theres great 'spirit' in watching winners, people who do not like losing. and i think the majority of players would agree with me.

hycool

CR7 fanboy
That's a fine line between winning as a tradition and being overly obsessed with trophies.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
I'd be disappointed if we won trophies by playing long ball strategy, winning games 1-0 and not creating very many scoring opportunities. On the other hand I'd be disappointed if we were in the lower leagues playing attractive football.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I could accept it for a time, say we had experienced a significant barren spell and used such tactics to resttore us to better fortunes and a higher standing in the long term.

I would very much hope however, expect, that once we there we'd look to phase back in the free flowing high tempo football that we all love to see.

Tommy1

Boring Manchester United

Originally posted by hycool

:nono: Get reall ffs

Winning is the most important thing to me.

Of course it would be great to see my team play some samba/Brazil 70's type of football and win every game 6-0, but that's not the main point. Whatever helps my teams win is ok with me, as long as it's not blatant cheating.
Exactly :cool:

Wembley Red

I could accept it for a time, say we had experienced a significant baron spell and used such tactics to resttore us to better fortunes and a higher standing in the long term.

I would very much hope however, expect, that once we there we'd look to phase back in the free flowing high tempo football that we all love to see.
Good point Nick. Thats what exactly we did last season, after out initial 3 games, we went on a run of 1-0s, gaining that confidence we needed and then the 4-0s started to flow!

Brwned

Im sure many Arse fans would disagree with most of you. Until you know what its like to go so many years without a trophy, then i doubt many people can talk.

Lets put it this way, if Chelsea had won the premiership and CL last year, and we had lost I would not have thought 'oh forget those trophies they were just going to be a bonus, im so glad we played good exciting atacking football this year and got feck all'

every attacking team needs a balance. tell me one succesfull one that has not had to buckle down and grind a few results out once in a while.
And I'm sure many Chelsea fans would disagree with you. Many have been calling out for their team to play more attractive football.

There should always need to be a balance between attractive football and success in the really great teams.

hycool

CR7 fanboy
My guess is most of us are attracted to Man Utd because of the attacking football. Espeically the first time you seen United play. It's mesmerizing and attractive, and when you realized that United had been winning trophies this way, it sort of "subconsciously" create the idea that United has a winning philosophy and mindset as well as playing beautiful football. So the winning part had naturally come into our mindset as well.

Unless you put yourself in an Arsenal's fan point of view, where attacking football hadnt exactly been paying dividens for them?

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.

How could you not mind if we suddenly began playing boring winning football? We already play exciting attcking football that wins trophies, why would we want to settle for any less.

I would not be happy if we started playing boring winning football, I think in todays climate where negativity is often rewarded with success, we still represent a noble attempt to win in the right way with attacking flair.

I get excited at the prospect of a new season because it's the oportunity to see my team full of attacking talents entertain me. I would hope that the majority of united supporters felt the same way.

hycool

CR7 fanboy
How could you not mind if we suddenly began playing boring winning football? We already play exciting attcking football that wins trophies, why would we want to settle for any less.

I would not be happy if we started playing boring winning football, I think in todays climate where negativity is often rewarded with success, we still represent a noble attempt to win in the right way with attacking flair.

I get excited at the prospect of a new season because it's the oportunity to see my team full of attacking talents entertain me. I would hope that the majority of united supporters felt the same way.
It's just a senario with poor me seeking for opinions :smirk:

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
Is there a difference between attacking football and beautiful football?

I think so. Arsenal plays the so called beautiful football. Julio Baptista on his time at Arsenal said something about Mancehster United playing long lobs in to the box area from deep and it's not beautiful, or something like that.But I think we play attacking football better than their ground passing game. Many times we've seen Arsenal overpassing around the box and failed to get in or lose possession.

I think Our type of play s something between both. It's effective, wins trophies, but may not be as beautiful as Arsenal. As for trophies, it is what going to be a club will be known for in the future. So, more importance for the trophies.

Wembley Red

Bamsola, what if for a few games you could not win the 'right way'? what if you had to settle for a good old battle to have a succesfull season? would you take that?

It seems no one is feckin balanced! You have to have the balance!

hycool

CR7 fanboy
Is there a difference between attacking football and beautiful football?

I think so. Arsenal plays the so called beautiful football. Julio Baptista on his time at Arsenal said something about Mancehster United playing long lobs in to the box area from deep and it's not beautiful, or something like that.But I think we play attacking football better than their ground passing game. Many times we've seen Arsenal overpassing around the box and failed to get in or lose possession.

I think Our type of play s something between both. It's effective, wins trophies, but may not be as beautiful as Arsenal. As for trophies, it is what going to be a club will be known for in the future. So, more importance for the trophies.

Agree with you but not on that point. I think we are capable of playing beautiful attacking football better than Arsenal at times, especially when interchanging a mixture of short sweet quick passes and long balls to release Ronaldo or Rooney on the flanks. Could be like the 4-0 beating of Bolton 2 seasons ago which Rooney scored after we cleared a corner, or like the Tevez header in the CL final from Rooney's long ball up which almost resulted in a goal.

rotherham_red

its attacking football played by players who would die for the shirt or bust imho, i personally wouldnt stand for anything less...

if the opposite were to happen, i dont think i could love the club in the same way as i would in normal circumstances...

hycool

CR7 fanboy

What do you mean by anything less? Attacking football is a must but when it comes to tactically defensive teams, might not work as well. But that doesnt mean we have to continue playing attacking football to please the fans. Results and the winning mentality is what fans hope to see as well.

Brwned

its attacking football played by players who would die for the shirt or bust imho, i personally wouldnt stand for anything less...

if the opposite were to happen, i dont think i could love the club in the same way as i would in normal circumstances...
You would still support the club though, right?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

Watching a team playing a defensive style is boring. I'll take one United-Arsenal fixture over a hundred Chelsea-Liverpools.

Whats the point of watching football if it isn't entertaining, whatever the result? I'd take less satisfaction out of a dull 1-0 victory as I would from a thrilling 1-0 defeat.