Boycott Raiola

Are the chickens coming home to roost? A youngster Mohamed Ihatteren left him a few days ago and now Federico Bernardeschi has changed agents. Donnarumma is also unhappy with the situation Raiola has put him in at PSG unsurprisingly.

I'd love to see a few big clubs refuse to work with him, especially us.

soapythecat

He has, potentially, the next biggest transfer in the world with Paul Pogba. Such is the media pull of PP, his free transfer at the end of this season will next Raiola maybe £20m+ just in fees. Along with Harlaand, the bloke is set for life on the back of those impending transfers.
As much as we hate the bloke, he is literally laughing all the way to the bank.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He has, potentially, the next biggest transfer in the world with Paul Pogba. Such is the media pull of PP, his free transfer at the end of this season will next Raiola maybe £20m+ just in fees. Along with Harlaand, the bloke is set for life on the back of those impending transfers.
PP isn't going to get the salary he wants. He may go back to Juve but they aren't paying him 500k.

Agree with Haaland though.

RUCK4444

Are the chickens coming home to roost? A youngster Mohamed Ihatteren left him a few days ago and now Federico Bernardeschi has changed agents. Donnarumma is also unhappy with the situation Raiola has put him in at PSG unsurprisingly.

Literally this is all it takes. I’ve been saying it for years, if a few of the very top teams in Europe put out statements confirming they will never deal with him again he wouldn’t sign a single big name player ever again.

Pogba is a poisoned chalice now. Everybody knows he's been problematic for us despite his marketing pull. He will get a big paycheck no doubt but he's no longer a player every club in the world will break the bank for.

Haaland is Raiola's big ticket. If Haaland leaves him he'll be mostly repping nobodies in farmer's leagues.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What club would pay big money for Pogba?

steffyr2

I would expect Man Utd to have no Raiola clients within the next year or so and I would expect that Murtough and Fletcher will avoid dealing with him in the future so he will no longer be a headache for the club.

People get very personally invested in Raiola and are personally insulted by his comments and general circus, its probably the same people personally insulted by Dortmund tweets. He is really not as big a deal as some make out. He has some great players that hire him and will continue to do so. I still think more and more players will enter the free market now which will result in higher agent signing on fees probably resulting in more Raiola types.
What's to keep present Utd players from changing to Raiola if they think they'll get a better deal that way?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

The Ihattaren situation is a bit delicate; he's always been a player who has been seen as one with an 'attitude problem' by the media in NL. Recently his father passed away and he's struggling with that loss, and has been thinking of retiring, I believe I read.

Bernardeschi was a silly move - Juventus signed him in the first place just so other Italian teams couldn't.

Whilst you bring up these instances, he's still the agent for Haaland (Pogba probably one has one big transfer left in him), and I'm sure more top talents will end up under him shortly again.

BerryBerryShrew

Meh from his perspective it doesn't really matter. Crazy to say, but he's probably made more money from football over the last decade than the vast majority of players not named Messi or Ronaldo.

RUCK4444

Meh from his perspective it doesn't really matter. Crazy to say, but he's probably made more money from football over the last decade than the vast majority of players not named Messi or Ronaldo.
Yeah but the point is not about what he's made, more about getting rid of the fat shite from the game in the future.

Hopefully players are starting to think twice about getting involved with the idiot. It would only take a few teams to boycott him and he would be done.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah but the point is not about what he's made, more about getting rid of the fat shite from the game in the future.

Hopefully players are starting to think twice about getting involved with the idiot. It would only take a few teams to boycott him and he would be done.
I don't get that one, the obsession with Raiola is unhealthy particularly when people barely mention larger agents like Mendes and Barnett, the former is shady beyond belief between the fact that he exploited players and clubs through part ownership and that his clients continuously move for money, the former talks even more than Raiola and deals behind clubs' back.

SuperiorXI

Literally this is all it takes. I’ve been saying it for years, if a few of the very top teams in Europe put out statements confirming they will never deal with him again he wouldn’t sign a single big name player ever again.
He would probably sue the clubs for massive amounts.

RUCK4444

I don't get that one, the obsession with Raiola is unhealthy particularly when people barely mention larger agents like Mendes and Barnett, the former is shady beyond belief between the fact that he exploited players and clubs through part ownership and that his clients continuously move for money, the former talks even more than Raiola and deals behind clubs' back.
Raiola is disrespectful though, particularly to us and even SAF. He is hated for those reasons as well as constantly talking shite about Pogba, so much so that half the fan base hate the player when imo they should hate this guy.

Mendes is respected a lot more in the game I feel. Little things like when Ronaldo wanted to leave and he agreed with SAF and send him back to us for another year as it was the right thing to do. You wouldn't get that from Raiola, it's all about how much he can milk from everybody involved without showing an ounce of respect.

RUCK4444

He would probably sue the clubs for massive amounts.
Can't see that working, they can work with who they want and refuse to work with those they don't want to work with. No company is legally bound to trade with a person/company.

Simple. They wouldn't even have to go about it in a formal manner, just let it be known within the game that they won't deal with the guy. As soon as these players realise that their options are limited with him they will look elsewhere.

SuperiorXI

Can't see that working, they can work with who they want and refuse to work with those they don't want to work with. No company is legally bound to trade with a person/company.

Simple. They wouldn't even have to go about it in a formal manner, just let it be known within the game that they won't deal with the guy. As soon as these players realise that their options are limited with him they will look elsewhere.
Raiola could argue it goes against free choice of agents and is a conspiracy against him as an individual as he wants what's best for the client. It could get very messy for a club if they cut ties with an already established agent with many clients. Probably the best choice is just simply don't talk to Raiola clients without announcing it but even then, players can switch agents whenever they want.

JPRouve

Scout
Raiola is disrespectful though, particularly to us and even SAF. He is hated for those reasons as well as constantly talking shite about Pogba, so much so that half the fan base hate the player when imo they should hate this guy.

Mendes is respected a lot more in the game I feel. Little things like when Ronaldo wanted to leave and he agreed with SAF and send him back to us for another year as it was the right thing to do. You wouldn't get that from Raiola, it's all about how much he can milk from everybody involved without showing an ounce of respect.
Clubs respect no one, they act in the most scummy ways you could imagine, threatening and exploiting players and inexperienced agent, they don't deserve respect. And you know I get it because you look at it from the point of view of a fan, your personal dislike for Raiola makes sense in that context but it should never going beyond it, a big profile example was the case of Dembélé to Dortmund where both Rennes and Dortmund prayed on an teenager and a small agent, threatened a teenager if he didn't go with their own agent, tried to keep commissions in-house and shortcut people.

As for the bolded part, it's typically the problem, you are talking about an agent that uses the press to send his messages, he is big enough to not do it himself, you are talking about the former king of player ownership someone that would move players withouth their consent, similar to Joorabchian. The fact that Mendes is respected is a blight on Football, the fact that being disrespectful is a bigger issue than actual exploitation of players is a massive issue.

RUCK4444

Clubs respect no one, they act in the most scummy ways you could imagine, threatening and exploiting players and inexperienced agent, they don't deserve respect. And you know I get it because you look at it from the point of view of a fan, your personal dislike for Raiola makes sense in that context but it should never going beyond it, a big profile example was the case of Dembélé to Dortmund where both Rennes and Dortmund prayed on an teenager and a small agent, threatened a teenager if he didn't go with their own agent, tried to keep commissions in-house and shortcut people.

As for the bolded part, it's typically the problem, you are talking about an agent that uses the press to send his messages, he is big enough to not do it himself, you are talking about the former king of player ownership someone that would move players withouth their consent, similar to Joorabchian. The fact that Mendes is respected is a blight on Football, the fact that being disrespectful is a bigger issue than actual exploitation of players is a massive issue.
Yeah I agree on the whole but this thread wasn't really about player exploitation which is of course an issue, one that both clubs and agents alike are accountable for.

Talking from the perspective of the point I responded to, I think most fans find it a disgrace that whilst his players are under contract with the club he can talk so brazenly about any number of things, from talking up other clubs as a good move for the player, questioning the management and tactics of the club, causing a constant state of uncertainty around his players making it very difficult for the fanbase to connect with and get behind said players. He does this far more than the other agents and lines his pockets more than the others at the same time.

He's both incredibly greedy and disrespectful at the same time.

RUCK4444

Raiola could argue it goes against free choice of agents and is a conspiracy against him as an individual as he wants what's best for the client. It could get very messy for a club if they cut ties with an already established agent with many clients. Probably the best choice is just simply don't talk to Raiola clients without announcing it but even then, players can switch agents whenever they want.
The players whom he offers his services to would still have free choice to sign up with him, but the clubs are entitled to do business with whomever they chose.

If they went public with it he may claim some type of slander/loss of earnings etc but the crux of the matter is that clubs don't have to work with him if they don't want to. In fact conversely I'm sure he's even spoken of avoiding United again in the future for his players (so it works both ways.) I suppose its a moot point because it's unlikely to happen whilst the clubs are trying to get one up on one another and will jump into bed with him to get the likes of Haaland. Like most I'm just sick of the sight of him.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah I agree on the whole but this thread wasn't really about player exploitation which is of course an issue, one that both clubs and agents alike are accountable for.

Talking from the perspective of the point I responded to, I think most fans find it a disgrace that whilst his players are under contract with the club he can talk so brazenly about any number of things, from talking up other clubs as a good move for the player, questioning the management and tactics of the club, causing a constant state of uncertainty around his players making it very difficult for the fanbase to connect with and get behind said players. He does this far more than the other agents and lines his pockets more than the others at the same time.

He's both incredibly greedy and disrespectful at the same time.
But he doesn't really do things that other agents don't, it just happens that some are more obsessed with it and the issue with the thread is that people are suggesting that he should be boycotted while agents that have significantly worse are respected and even used as examples in this thread. And he is no more greedy or disrespectful than Barnett who was running his mouth non stop about Camavinga or recently about Bale which actually created an issue with Bale. Mendes is the one using the press, starting rumours and creating havoc whenever his clients want to move or are in trouble, Mourinho being an example. He doesn't do it more than the rest, in fact he does it less, it makes more waves though.

We also have multiple high profile agents linked with bribery, corruption and match fixing.

RUCK4444

But he doesn't really do things that other agents don't, it just happens that some are more obsessed with it and the issue with the thread is that people are suggesting that he should be boycotted while agents that have significantly worse are respected and even used as examples in this thread. And he is no more greedy or disrespectful than Barnett who was running his mouth non stop about Camavinga or recently about Bale which actually created an issue with Bale. Mendes is the one using the press, starting rumours and creating havoc whenever his clients want to move or are in trouble, Mourinho being an example. He doesn't do it more than the rest, in fact he does it less, it makes more waves though.

We also have multiple high profile agents linked with bribery, corruption and match fixing.
I said he does it more. Jeez there is probably more links to examples in the Pogba thread alone than there is entirely online for those other agents players you mentioned.

He’s taken a kings ransom from United and has been disrespectful whilst doing so. We have ourselves to blame for that.

It’s simple really, who would 99% of posters/fans prefer Haaland to be represented by (as an example)? Id say the overwhelming majority would prefer Mendes and that’s not to mention who the clubs would prefer. Why? Becuase he runs his mouth and is disrespectful.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Utd should boycott Riola. He is constantly causing disharmony by pushing too hard for a payrise or a move. Just ignore him and the players he represents. It is a team game, not a collection of individuals.

soapythecat

What club would pay big money for Pogba?
He will be a free transfer. He is one of the biggest names/faces in the footballing world, regardless of what many of us United fans think. He's a world cup winner and plastered everywhere. His next contract will be eye watering. As long as it's not a contract with United, I don't care.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Utd should boycott Riola. He is constantly causing disharmony by pushing too hard for a payrise or a move. Just ignore him and the players he represents. It is a team game, not a collection of individuals.
Agreed. If players started hearing that Raiola was banned then they'd not sign with him, he'd soon be out of business.

JPRouve

Scout
I said he does it more. Jeez there is probably more links to examples in the Pogba thread alone than there is entirely online for those other agents players you mentioned.

He’s taken a kings ransom from United and has been disrespectful whilst doing so. We have ourselves to blame for that.

It’s simple really, who would 99% of posters/fans prefer Haaland to be represented by (as an example)? Id say the overwhelming majority would prefer Mendes and that’s not to mention who the clubs would prefer. Why? Becuase he runs his mouth and is disrespectful.
And my point is that it's a big problem because people would prefer to see a player be represented by the actually most greedy agent in the world who is also exploitative and is the one that uses the press the most to shape narratives and put pressure on clubs.

To me that's crazy, I could actually understand if you were against Raiola and Mendes while realizing that Mendes is significantly worse but to have Mendes as a preference shows that there is a problem. In the case of Mendes we are not just talking about ruffling feathers, we are talking about a tax evasion merchant, an agent that exploits young players, that uses the press on a daily basis to shape his own narrative and selling players.

And what kings ransom as he taken from United?

Edit: To make it simple, the thing that I fail to understand is how people are so easily ready to focus on an agent being rude while literally using a modern day slaverer and tax evasion facilitator as the alternative. In my mind the priorities are completely wrong.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He will be a free transfer. He is one of the biggest names/faces in the footballing world, regardless of what many of us United fans think. He's a world cup winner and plastered everywhere. His next contract will be eye watering. As long as it's not a contract with United, I don't care.
He's not though.

- He isnt and hasn't been among the best footballers for a while.
- No one put a reasonable offer from what we understand when there was money, so why would they give a big contract when wage bills are even tighter?
- He may be a big brand but his transfer wont have legs as one of the biggest because of it.

Raiola basically needs a club ready to stump stupid cash on the contract for his pay day. The truth is there are less and less clubs willing to do that now. City and Liverpool won't. Chelsea wont. Barcelona wont. PSG maybe and perhaps Real but the truth is Raiolas cards have gotten a lot weaker these days.

JPRouve

Scout
He's not though.

- He isnt and hasn't been among the best footballers for a while.
- No one put a reasonable offer from what we understand when there was money, so why would they give a big contract when wage bills are even tighter?
- He may be a big brand but his transfer wont have legs as one of the biggest because of it.

Raiola basically needs a club ready to stump stupid cash on the contract for his pay day. The truth is there are less and less clubs willing to do that now. City and Liverpool won't. Chelsea wont. Barcelona wont. PSG maybe and perhaps Real but the truth is Raiolas cards have gotten a lot weaker these days.
Are they looking for a stupid amount of cash though? It's not really how his clients have moved for the most part, it has rarely been about money and more about football.

And my point is that it's a big problem because people would prefer to see a player be represented by the actually most greedy agent in the world who is also exploitative and is the one that uses the press the most to shape narratives and put pressure on clubs.

To me that's crazy, I could actually understand if you were against Raiola and Mendes while realizing that Mendes is significantly worse but to have Mendes as a preference shows that there is a problem. In the case of Mendes we are not just talking about ruffling feathers, we are talking about a tax evasion merchant, an agent that exploits young players, that uses the press on a daily basis to shape his own narrative and selling players.

Edit: To make it simple, the thing that I fail to understand is how people are so easily ready to focus on an agent being rude while literally using a modern day slaverer and tax evasion facilitator as the alternative. In my mind the priorities are completely wrong.
I don't particularly like either of them but Mendes does what's best for his client, his players generally go to big clubs that are the right step for their career. Raiola prioritises what's best for him. He sends his players where the biggest paycheck is which is how Donnarumma and Verratti end up wasting their careers in Paris, de Ligt has stalled in Italy, and Pogba is again about to leave on a free.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't particularly like either of them but Mendes does what's best for his client, his players generally go to big clubs that are the right step for their career. Raiola prioritises what's best for him. He sends his players where the biggest paycheck is which is how Donnarumma and Verratti end up wasting their careers in Paris, de Ligt has stalled in Italy, and Pogba is again about to leave on a free.
Verratti wasn't on a big contract when he moved from Pescara to PSG and Raiola wasn't his agent, he got rid of Di Campli recently and joined Raiola. De Ligt picking Juventus over wealthier clubs can't really be about money unless we start pretending that the main alternatives in PSG and Barcelona are the type to not offer big wages. And Pogba leaving on a free had more to do with United reportedly wanting a world record for him when he has never been good enough for that kind of fee.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Verratti wasn't on a big contract when he moved from Pescara to PSG and Raiola wasn't his agent, he got rid of Di Campli recently and joined Raiola. De Ligt picking Juventus over wealthier clubs can't really be about money unless we start pretending that the main alternatives in PSG and Barcelona are the type to not offer big wages. And Pogba leaving on a free had more to do with United reportedly wanting a world record for him when he has never been good enough for that kind of fee.
well english clubs are used to milk players even on last year of contract a thing that never happens outside Premier.
IF a player is on last year either you sell cheaply or lose it for free.
Honestly I don't see Pogba going back to Juventus.
He'll prolly go to PSG or Madrid

SuperiorXI

The players whom he offers his services to would still have free choice to sign up with him, but the clubs are entitled to do business with whomever they chose.

If they went public with it he may claim some type of slander/loss of earnings etc but the crux of the matter is that clubs don't have to work with him if they don't want to. In fact conversely I'm sure he's even spoken of avoiding United again in the future for his players (so it works both ways.) I suppose its a moot point because it's unlikely to happen whilst the clubs are trying to get one up on one another and will jump into bed with him to get the likes of Haaland. Like most I'm just sick of the sight of him.
Yeah I am also sick of him but he is a product of the system. Get rid of one Raiola another will replace him. The system needs to be re-worked to reduce player power as right now it's absolutely CRAZY.

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah I am also sick of him but he is a product of the system. Get rid of one Raiola another will replace him. The system needs to be re-worked to reduce player power as right now it's absolutely CRAZY.
First I want to make it clear that it's a genuine question. How is player power crazy right now, what makes you think that?

SuperiorXI

First I want to make it clear that it's a genuine question. How is player power crazy right now, what makes you think that?
Simply put, players can down tools to remove a manager as they're greater assets than the manager, the hierarchy therefore is upside down. They're able to run down contracts holding the club to ransom. They are paid so much they basically hold the power.

JPRouve

Scout
Simply put, players can down tools to remove a manager as they're greater assets than the manager, the hierarchy therefore is upside down. They're able to run down contracts holding the club to ransom. They are paid so much they basically hold the power.
Players have always been a greater asset than the manager and do you actually know players that have purposely downed tools in order to remove a manager? Or do you know about players that were out of form, out of confidence and/or coached by a subpar manager? Also the hierarchy isn't upside down, there is no actual difference today it was already easier to sack one manager than replace 20+ players, that's why managers tenures have always been relatively short.

Players have always run down contracts because that's how all contracts with end terms work, the main difference is that because there is more money in Football today, clubs are less inclined to ask for reasonable fees which limits the amount of clubs willing to pay for big players that are going to become free agents. And leaving at the term of your contract isn't holding a club to ransom, clubs have no rights on your work beyond the terms of your contract which I hope is acceptable.

Finally, Footballers aren't paid so much, the inflation in wages is roughly in line with the increase of money added in Football from broadcasting and sponsorship,

RUCK4444

On the bolded, again, that's not what's really being discussed in the thread, is it? For the record anything Medes is guilty of I fully expect the same to go for Mino. If it were up to me there would be no player agents, the players would have to engage their own brains as adults and broker their own deals or choose to pay these agents out of their own pockets (not the clubs), but that's irrelevant.

Raiola has made an obsence amount from United for the transfer of players in agent fees, apparently a fee for Pogba alone raising to around £40million! He's just one of five players of his we've signed in recent years. I don't remember the figures but remember reading at the time the amount he was getting from us for these various players was obscene. The money is one thing, the way he behaves is another, fans rightly find him hard to stomach and are just sick of hearing from him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Are they looking for a stupid amount of cash though? It's not really how his clients have moved for the most part, it has rarely been about money and more about football.
I don't know, and I don't think he'll move for stupid money. I don't think he'll be one of the biggest transfers because he was never that good. And now he's been proving my hunch correct over the past 5 years. He's injured too much for anyones liking on top, and there are many players who I think managers would choose ahead of him in midfield anyway.