Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

OldSchoolManc

I’ve not seen this thus far, so apologies if it’s already been mentioned.
I fully agree with Eric. The next World Cup is a disgrace. Money and bribery has taken precedent over actual promotion of football. There were many examples of better venues for the next World Cup.

I stand with Eric the king.

Eric Cantona: “To be honest, I don’t really care about the next World Cup, which is not a real World Cup for me. I will NOT watch the Qatar World Cup. Thousands of workers have died building the stadiums. The decision to let them host is all about money and there will be no lasting legacy. It’s only about the money, and the way they treated the people who built the stadiums, it’s horrible.”

stevoc

I won't be watching it but to be fair I only watched 2-3 games of the Euros this year so maybe that's not saying much.

OldSchoolManc

I won't be watching it but to be fair I only watched 2-3 games of the Euros this year so maybe that's not saying much.
Internationals have become so meaningless over the last decade or so. Feels like the general public couldn’t care less about it. Unless England actually won…

To disrupt every league so that it can be played in an accommodating climate as well as all the other caveats, is inexplicable.

mu4c_20le

I will probably catch an illegal river. But seriously, agree with him completely.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I agree so I just steal it.

Anyway I'm not debating the ethics of it as its been discussed ad nauseum and I agree wholeheartedly, but I can't stop the feeling that a lot of this sentiment is rooted in middle east phobia if that's a thing and thats coming from someone that despises those regimes.

Also a bit hypocritical from west seeing there was no such calls to boycott the 1980 version which is fondly remembered and some other editions of it.

Anyway 2 wrongs don't make a right so I propose that you too try to steal this disgrace (or just don't watch it) better for your pockets as well.

OldSchoolManc

I agree so I just steal it.

Anyway I'm not debating the ethics of it as its been discussed ad nauseum and I agree wholeheartedly, but I can't stop the feeling that a lot of this sentiment is rooted in middle east phobia if that's a thing and thats coming from someone that despises those regimes.

Also a bit hypocritical from west seeing there was no such calls to boycott the 1980 version which is fondly remembered and some other editions of it.

Anyway 2 wrongs don't make a right so I propose that you too try to steal this disgrace (or just don't watch it) better for your pockets as well.
Absolutely, steal it via illegal streaming if you must (I already do so to spite the corporate bar stewards…). The less legitimate advertising and streaming revenue the better.
It has been a farce since it was awarded.

OldSchoolManc

Every nation have the right to host the world cup. Who cares about when it takes place?
Seriously? The World Cup has traditionally been played in the summer months to avoid disruptions to leagues. For every single league to be disrupted for what is an extremely bad decision, is a complete disgrace

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Every nation have the right to host the world cup. Who cares about when it takes place?
But it shouldn’t disrupt all the fecking leagues - when has that ever happened before!?

If has to be held in countries that don’t have a suitable climate then they should build completely indoor, air conditioned arenas - and should do so under watchful human rights conditions.

Giggsyking

Seriously? The World Cup has traditionally been played in the summer months to avoid disruptions to leagues. For every single league to be disrupted for what is an extremely bad decision, is a complete disgrace
So what if it gets disrupted. Do you want to prevent tens of countries that have hot summer climate the opportunity to host the biggest football tournament?

Satsuma United

One thing is for sure, it wont have a true football feeling, atmosphere.

I dont think they will let thousands of fans into Qatar and as a consequence the atmosphere will feel like friendly matches in the summer.

Qatar doesnt have a Football culture, it will feel empty.

stevoc

Every nation?

Do you reckon the Bahamas or Belize countries with similar native populations to Qatar will get to host one any time soon?

Giggsyking

But it shouldn’t disrupt all the fecking leagues - when has that ever happened before!?

If has to be held in countries that don’t have a suitable climate then they should build completely indoor, air conditioned arenas - and should do so under watchful human rights conditions.
I will not discuss politics. My opinion is strictly on the subject of hosting the world cup in countries that has hot climate. They should also be able to host it and I see no problem in stopping the leagues in winter. It happens every time in africa when they have afcon, should work in other continents too.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Cause the WC being in Qatar means that the even will be held in December.

I couldn't care less about Qatar, they are shiton of countries doing businesses with qatari companies owned by Qatar government (United States,Japan,France,UK,Australia,Philippines, Turkey, Canada,Algeria,Morocco,South Korea,etc) so the "boycott Qatar" movement is useless.

But they are messing the World Cup schedule.

OldSchoolManc

And to quantify this, the nations hosting should be providing the above!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Not all leagues play on the schedule of the major European Leagues.

OldSchoolManc

Not all leagues play on the schedule of the major European Leagues.
True, but why should a competition that has been held around the same time for 70 years or so, suddenly be changed? It’s chaos I tell thee! Chaos!

stevoc

Why not, if they have the resources to do it?
I suspect you know that they don't, so not every micro nation has the right to host one then.

Just obscenely rich ones who bribe people for votes and bid for it under false pretences and once awarded admit they can't actually host it like they promised. And as a result the entire world footballing calendar has to be fecked about for 2-3 years to accommodate them.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Don't just boycott the Qatar WC, boycott International football full stop. I am personally fed up with all the stops in a season as it is and the absolutely dire games you get constantly.

In my opinion, boycott it all.

the_cliff

Need to boycott Nike, Adidas, Puma, every kit supplier.
The EPL, Chelsea, Man City, Newcastle.
La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1.

The NBA. The NFL.

Might have to boycott all professional sports.

Got to use the same logic for everything.

Deery

Dreary
It’s a farce and a dangerous one at that, but come the time I’ll probably watch a few games so won’t say for definite I’m boycotting it..

minoo-utd

This is just stupid. They have the right to organize the world cup and they have absolutely what it takes to make a wonderful atmosphere. They are more than ready and watching Arab Fifa Cup showed how they are up there with top countries ( technology wise ) and maybe even more. I don’t know why some sounds that they hate it if it’s Arab country or African one. And about who mentioned that football culture thing, was Japan 2002 a country with a Football culture or America 94? Come on now.

Ladron de redcafe

The NBA. The NFL.

This is just stupid. They have the right to organize the world cup and they have absolutely what it takes to make a wonderful atmosphere. They are more than ready and watching Arab Fifa Cup showed how they are up there with top countries ( technology wise ) and maybe even more. I don’t know why some sounds that they hate it if it’s Arab country or African one. And about who mentioned that football culture thing, was Japan 2002 a country with a Football culture or America 94? Come on now.
His first point falls apart when we examine the human rights record of the hosts of the last world cup, and as cliff points out, for the sake of consistency, we might as well boycott all those major sports.

His second point is a little bizzare because as minoo points out, the United States didn't exactly have much of a football culture in 1994 and neither did Japan in 2002, yet where were Cantona's comments about boycotting the world cup then.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

The NBA. The NFL.

No, you don't. This is an example of tu quoque fallacy and it, like all logical fallacies, is flawed and has no place in debate. "Don't bother taking a stand against one wrong-doing if you're not going to take a stand against all of them." "Why save the whales if you're not going to save the rhinos?" The Qatar WC is a totem to bribery and corruption, built with slave labour. If people want to boycott it for these reasons then good.

MDFC Manager

The Qatar WC is a totem to bribery and corruption, built with slave labour. If people want to boycott it for these reasons then good.
If these are the reasons people want to boycott it, fine. Those are genuine reasons in my view.

However all this talk of lacking football culture smacks of western elitism. What's football culture anyway? Thousands of drunk fans in stadiums?

There should also be no problem with this being in December to suit the weather. What's wrong is that is not what the qatar bid was based on (promises of air conditioned stadiums for a June WC).

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
However all this talk of lacking football culture smacks of western elitism. What's football culture anyway? Thousands of drunk fans in stadiums?
I don’t know. Who is talking about football culture? That certainly wasn’t part of Cantona’s quote in the OP. If that’s someone’s argument for a boycott then I agree that it’s daft.

chisnall_red

Supports
Citeh
Boycott why?
‘They were awarded it illegally’ - so go boycott FIFA then, they awarded it.
‘They have no football culture’ - see above for many places that held it who weren’t seen as footballing nations (and now, bizarrely are, maybe the WC helps..). By the way the Qataris - and the rest of the ME are football mad..
‘Stadiums have been built under poor conditions’ - there’s more focus on this and workers conditions than any building project ever. Who built the Russian ones (low paid immigrants..)
BTW if you can go there it’ll be a blast; amazing facilities, all the stadiums are a 5 min taxi ride from each other so no moving around a country and the stadiums themselves are great (and yes I visited one a few weeks ago)
It’s just more racist bullshit - but it’s Our Game not theirs (‘theirs’ in this case being Arabs..)

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Boycott why?
‘They have no football culture’ - see above for many places that held it who weren’t seen as footballing nations (and now, bizarrely are, maybe the WC helps..). By the way the Qataris - and the rest of the ME are football mad..
‘Stadiums have been built under poor conditions’ - there’s more focus on this and workers conditions than any building project ever. Who built the Russian ones (low paid immigrants..)
BTW if you can go there it’ll be a blast; amazing facilities, all the stadiums are a 5 min taxi ride from each other so no moving around a country and the stadiums themselves are great (and yes I visited one a few weeks ago)
It’s just more racist bullshit - but it’s Our Game not theirs (‘theirs’ in this case being Arabs..)
fecking hell.

This is why City owners got the club.
I will 100% be boycotting the games. It’s a joke.

twitter thread suggester
Boycott why?
Speechless.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
A World Cup that will have a vile and disgusting aftertaste no matter the outcome/result/performances.

Cringeworthy to see a few on here who are happy to defend it.

It would be wonderful if players like Messi and Ronaldo took a stand themselves.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think that the 1980 World Cup was boycotted so effectively that people even forgot about its existence!

Did you mean the 1978 one in Argentina?