Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Great! the more people boycott the better stream for us who are going to watch.
Can you get your family and friends to boycott as well? thanks
Strange post. But at least you sound proud.

Lost bear

I see it as a positive, people may not read the financial pages and are maybe wilfully ignorant. If the world cup highlights these issues and people tune in then I see that as progress not hypocrisy.

I amazed that some folk are more annoyed at the dissent than they are at the state sponsored discrimination. Really fecking weird.
Yes. The whole thing is utterly corrupt. For LGBT people and for anyone concerned with human rights, it really stinks.The fact that 'the west' too is largely corrupt doesn't invalidate the criticism.

Reactions: moses

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Denmark have had their request to wear training shirts with ‘Human Rights for All’ on them rejected by FIFA.
They should withdraw from the tournament if they're serious about making a statement.

(They won't, but they feckin' well should).

Actually, to be honest, I don't care for this "t-shirt" approach at all. That's fine for people who have little or no direct impact or influence.

The Danish FA has that, though. If they withdrew from the WC it would be huge.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
They should withdraw from the tournament if they're serious about making a statement.

Actually, to be honest, I don't care for this "t-shirt" approach at all. That's fine for people who have little or no direct impact or influence.

Agreed. If it was up to me, every country with some self respect had withdrawn a long time ago. Denmark doing it alone wouldn’t achieve more than them being banned from the next tournament.

The Firestarter

What would be better is donning the shirts regardless, and then FIFA having to ban them because of support for human rights. It would make them look even more ridiculously corrupt than they are now.

Roane

Yes. The whole thing is utterly corrupt. For LGBT people and for anyone concerned with human rights, it really stinks.The fact that 'the west' too is largely corrupt doesn't invalidate the criticism.
Whilst I agree with you that criticism shouldn't be based on what others do or have done in the past, for me personally the criticism of Qatar has kind of made it easy for the decision makers somewhat.

Qatar is what it is and yeah sure people should criticise what they feel is injustice. But it has been this for a long time. Those who made the decision deserve more criticism imo. As they espouse rights whilst not practising them where it matters.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Denmark doing it alone wouldn’t achieve more than them being banned from the next tournament.
Well...it would achieve more than that, if we're being realistic here:

If a WC participant actually withdrew from the tournament at this stage for the reason we're talking about, it would cause a huge brouhaha - it would be immensely more impactful than wearing "hey, we're - you know - nice people who dig human rights" t-shirts.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Well...it would achieve more than that, if we're being realistic here:

If a WC participant actually withdrew from the tournament at this stage for the reason we're talking about, it would cause a huge brouhaha - it would be immensely more impactful than wearing "hey, we're - you know - nice people who dig human rights" t-shirts.
I somewhat agree with you. But if Denmark (a pretty insignificant team all things considered) withdrew and the rest of them played on, I just don’t see how it would impact anything other than them being banned from every international tournament for the foreseeable. Had Denmark along with England, France, Holland and Germany decided to withdraw, then that would mean something.

Regardless, my post was merely highlighting that a t-shirt saying ‘Human Rights for All’ is apparently not allowed.

MUnchies

Strange post. But at least you sound proud.
Why is it strange? People acting holier than thou like they are better. If anyone should be boycotting is the players and fans actually going o Qatar to watch.
Like I said, the more people don't watch the better the stream for everyone watching.

Mike Smalling

I would be all for this, if it wasn't for the fact that our team is actually good now. If this World Cup had coincided with the Bendtner-era instead, I would be personally calling DBU to ask them to withdraw.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Why is it strange? People acting holier than thou like they are better. If anyone should be boycotting is the players and fans actually going o Qatar to watch.
Like I said, the more people don't watch the better the stream for everyone watching.
I'm acting holier than thou because I refuse to watch a tournament in a country that kills people for having the same sexuality i do?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Great! the more people boycott the better stream for us who are going to watch.
Can you get your family and friends to boycott as well? thanks
Not boycotting it is grand, not caring is what a lot of people do, but poking at people with principles is not a great look.

I’m loving my life

Now fvck off Emery

And never darken our doors again

Hopefully he gets sacked before the next time we play these plebs

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Denmark have had their request to wear training shirts with ‘Human Rights for All’ on them rejected by FIFA.

They’re not even trying to hide it.
Curious they didn't want to wear them for the Russia World Cup.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
:lol:

Bring something new to the conversation or just leave it be.
What new are you bringing other than complaining about the world cup? That's your opinion and it's perfectly fine to say it.

My point in this thread is to call out clear double standards. I'm sure Russia didn't have any human rights issues in 2018 though.

edgecutter

There seems little fanfare towards this world cup. I don't think I'll watch too much of and there seems to be a number of tickets still available for games. Hardly a success that Qatar would hope for.

Pickle85

Not boycotting it is grand, not caring is what a lot of people do, but poking at people with principles is not a great look.
Exactly this. I haven't decided whether I'll watch it myself, but to have a dig at people who aren't is pretty poor and just smacks of some kind of weird moral inferiority complex.

Pickle85

What new are you bringing other than complaining about the world cup? That's your opinion and it's perfectly fine to say it.

My point in this thread is to call out clear double standards. I'm sure Russia didn't have any human rights issues in 2018 though.
This kind of whataboutery is so tiresome.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
There seems little fanfare towards this world cup. I don't think I'll watch too much of and there seems to be a number of tickets still available for games. Hardly a success that Qatar would hope for.
3 million tickets sold. The less interesting group games won’t sell out as quickly for obvious reasons.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
This kind of whataboutery is so tiresome.
Yea when you have no answer to the double standards, claim whataboutism.

We all know why everything was hunky dory when it came to Russia but they have a problem with Qatar.

kirk buttercup

im not all the pushed ( other than the fact ireland aren't there) maybe its my age maybe its the way football is now but I can't remember a major sporting event I was less excited about. I honestly don't care who wins it. Best of luck to all your teams .

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yea when you have no answer to the double standards, claim whataboutism.

We all know why everything was hunky dory when it came to Russia but they have a problem with Qatar.
Everything was hunky dory with Russia?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I didn't hear the Denmark team raise a peep about Russia and their human rights record when they were playing there.
I haven't looked into Denmark's players but the Qatar criticism isn't solely about their laws or culture. It's also about the migrant worker deaths that gained a lot of traction in the media.

ROFLUTION

I didn't hear the Denmark team raise a peep about Russia and their human rights record when they were playing there.
Not in the same way, but the danish FA was not happy about it. Maybe it simply has something to do with the actual death toll in Qatar? There wasnt really specifics with Russia, other than you could accuse them of being a terribly run country.

After all, what they mostly aim at with Qatar now is what has direct relation to the World Cup - the corruption has actually never been fully documented, so that would be a wild accusation to throw at Russia without actual documentation.

Edit: also you gotta look at it in perspective - the more bad world cups, the more tension and frustration builds up. Therefore more people/countries speak up now. Thats about being fed up with corruption and sportswashing in the sport, which after all is the FA’s domain.

Then there is the actual military threat as we are almost neighbours to Russia - you can probably claim double standards on an internetforum, but does a small country like Denmark potentially want to start a bigger political debacle with Russia when the goal with them back then was to not do crazy stuff like Ukraine. Surely as a small country you measure your words a littlle more careful against a nation with nuclear missiles pointing at Europe

Last edited:

stevoc

Why do you think that is?

And which human rights issues in relation to the 2018 World Cup do you think they could have been making a stand against.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I haven't looked into Denmark's players but the Qatar criticism isn't solely about their laws or culture. It's also about the migrant worker deaths that gained a lot of traction in the media.
Not in the same way, but the danish FA was not happy about it. Maybe it simply has something to do with the actual death toll in Qatar? There wasnt really specifics with Russia, other than you could accuse them of being a terribly run country.

After all, what they mostly aim at with Qatar now is what has direct relation to the World Cup.
Aren't Russia accused of not only killing protestors and opposition in they own country but also engaging in warfare outside (eg: Syria). Oh and they had also invaded Crimea by then and engaged in a war in Eastern Ukraine, including shooting down a passenger airline killing everyone on it.

Qatar migrant worker laws are horrible, as is their anti LGBT laws, but to claim they are a worse country, or atleast have a worse human rights record, than Russia is the hypocrisy I'm trying to point out.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So there was apparently no public outcry before the Russian World Cup about LGBTQ rights, workers rights, authoritarianism, etc.?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Aren't Russia accused of not only killing protestors and opposition in they own country but also engaging in warfare outside (eg: Syria). Oh and they had also invaded Crimea by then and engaged in a war in Eastern Ukraine, including shooting down a passenger airline killing everyone on it.

Qatar migrant worker laws are horrible, as is their anti LGBT laws, but to claim they are a worse country, or atleast have a worse human rights record, than Russia is the hypocrisy I'm trying to point out.
I haven't read the last couple of pages. Has someone said Qatar is worse than Russia?

ROFLUTION

Yes? Is there a direct relation to sport in those thing mentioned? No.

Edit: Sportsrelated matters are what the FA mostly talk about. There’s politicians for the other stuff. All bad of course, but youcant accuse the danish FA of not being world police on all matters and therefore having double standards - they mostly deal with what has direct relation to football so of course they speak up now when the death of migrant workers are a directly related problem with the world cup

Your whole angle of bashing someone who speaks up is ridiculous by the way. It is as if you need to have a 100% politically correct sheet of records on things youve spoken about before you can speak up about something that matters. You should focus more of why not more countries/FAs are not speaking up.

Last edited:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Yes? Is there a direct relation to sport in those thing mentioned? No.
Oh so you're saying that you would feel better about Qatar hosting the tournament if they were bombing the UAE and occupying Dubai as long as they didn't hire migrant workers to build stadiums?