Boycott The Qatar World Cup?

tomaldinho1

I hate everything about it but unfortunately I’ll be watching with the world in a few weeks and so will all of you
I know quite a few people who are nowhere near as bothered about the WC this time around, I think there is a realisation of the importance of it being held in summer now, the whole experience of going to watch it somewhere with friends or having people over just isn't really going to happen at 1pm on a Monday in November when England take on the mighty Iran. The fact it's in Qatar just adds to people's indifference.

dinostar77

Normally around world cup time, sales of tv sets increase. As the WC is in november i cant see tv retails doing any great deals as a month later, boxing day and january sales will start. Also cost of living increases and inflation dont help.

Plus the heat and humidity of qatar even though games are played in the evening will lead to walking pace football, hardly enthralling stuff.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
Football is all about money. That’s the reality,
But enjoy it while it lasts, everything will end one day. Football will. Money will.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I’ll try to minimize my viewership of the WC this time: maybe just Spain, Portugal and SemiFinals and Finals.

When World Cup 2026 starts, I hope our beloved predominantly White European members have the same attitude towards games played in the US.
You see America (Russia) invaded Iraq (Ukraine) under the false pretence of WMDs (Nazis exterminating ethnic Russians in Ukraine) leading to the deaths of a few hundred thousand and the displacement of a few million. Not just that, there have even been grave HR abuses by the US Army in the ME (rapes, extrajudicial killings) for the last 20-odd years. Hope everyone will support this.

JeffBoomTetris

I’ll try to minimize my viewership of the WC this time: maybe just Spain, Portugal and SemiFinals and Finals.

When World Cup 2026 starts, I hope our beloved predominantly White European members have the same attitude towards games played in the US.
You see America (Russia) invaded Iraq (Ukraine) under the false pretence of WMDs (Nazis exterminating ethnic Russians in Ukraine) leading to the deaths of a few hundred thousand and the displacement of a few million. Not just that, there have even been grave HR abuses by the US Army in the ME (rapes, extrajudicial killings) for the last 20-odd years. Hope everyone will support this.
Hear, Hear.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

Sheesh, everyone is shady AF!

The only group of people that are completely blameless are us white South Africans.

Yakuza_devils

Indeed

Lost bear

I’ve not seen this thus far, so apologies if it’s already been mentioned.
I fully agree with Eric. The next World Cup is a disgrace. Money and bribery has taken precedent over actual promotion of football. There were many examples of better venues for the next World Cup.

I stand with Eric the king.

Eric Cantona: “To be honest, I don’t really care about the next World Cup, which is not a real World Cup for me. I will NOT watch the Qatar World Cup. Thousands of workers have died building the stadiums. The decision to let them host is all about money and there will be no lasting legacy. It’s only about the money, and the way they treated the people who built the stadiums, it’s horrible.”
We’ll said Eric.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
I know quite a few people who are nowhere near as bothered about the WC this time around, I think there is a realisation of the importance of it being held in summer now, the whole experience of going to watch it somewhere with friends or having people over just isn't really going to happen at 1pm on a Monday in November when England take on the mighty Iran. The fact it's in Qatar just adds to people's indifference.
absolutely. My country didn’t even qualify

but when it comes down to it I’ll still be watching. It’s a shame that FIFA have granted Qatar the worlds biggest stage but at least the bigger conversation around it is gathering momentum

NewYorkRed

I do think its hilarious how the West is shitting on Qatar for its human rights record. Bit like everyone in the US raging on about LIV golf. Unmm, we buy guns from Saudis. The entire west does government and consumer business with the middle east. And to top it all off we have plentyyyy wrong in our own societies. But lets all shame Qatar, booo ! We can’t drink beer there so lets talk about human rights ! Gimme a break.

Marwood

A Legend who still has his ethics and a large reason for United's rise to prominense in the 90s. Meanwhile Gary Neville is arguing why Qatar is such a great destination for the WC.
I think somebody needs to directly ask Gary if he's getting paid by any middle east government or corporation.

alexanderplatz

World Cup has generally lost magic for me with each tournament. Maybe Qatar will be good, maybe it will be terrible. Given the trend is towards the tournaments being poor fare these days then I am more inclined to say it will be missable. As for those on the whole ohhh why pick on poor Qatar thing give me a break! The tournament was bought and they maintained it would be held in the summer in these magic air conditioned stadiums. Then it was slipped in that actually it would need to be in the winter (which was clearly the plan all along). People are allowed to be annoyed about that before we even get to the reall issue ie the amount of migrant workers who have died building bloody stadiums. For a football tournament. So excuse me if I don’t support them having it or not caring if the next one is in America, at least they have contributed to football.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
You do understand that for half the world its held in winter.....

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
World Cup has generally lost magic for me with each tournament. Maybe Qatar will be good, maybe it will be terrible. Given the trend is towards the tournaments being poor fare these days then I am more inclined to say it will be missable. As for those on the whole ohhh why pick on poor Qatar thing give me a break! The tournament was bought and they maintained it would be held in the summer in these magic air conditioned stadiums. Then it was slipped in that actually it would need to be in the winter (which was clearly the plan all along). People are allowed to be annoyed about that before we even get to the reall issue ie the amount of migrant workers who have died building bloody stadiums. For a football tournament. So excuse me if I don’t support them having it or not caring if the next one is in America, at least they have contributed to football.
You would be singing a different tune had Ireland qualified :lol:

hodgey123

I genuinely keep forgetting that the World Cup is on in just over a month's time. Think it has the potential to be one of the most anti-climactic football tournaments in recent times, if not ever.

caid

I think my main objection to Qatar getting the world cup was it was a terrible venue for a football tournament. It had no infrastructure, no national audience, would be hostile to vast swathes of tourists, no national league to make use of the stadiums after the tournament, the climate. I doubt i'll watch it primarily because i expect it to be a crap, boring tournament played at walking pace but theres of mountain of unpleasant reasons to be put off the tournament.

tomaldinho1

You do understand that for half the world its held in winter.....
I'm not sure if you thought this through so I won't give you a condescending reply. Earth sits on a tilted axis meaning northern hemisphere winters are much harsher than southern hemisphere winters. Look at all the Southern hemisphere countries at the world cup and then look at their weather in June/July, it's basically our summer. To save you time, Ecuador gets the 'coldest' at ~11c and that's skewed by altitude, the rest are in the 20's. In the same vein that's why northern hemisphere summer WC make sense for hosts like South Africa and Brazil because it's much easier for the players in their winters because of how hot/humid it can get in their summers.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Nothing short of a boycott is acceptable?

Surely having misgivings but saying nothing is worse?
Imo, in this case, yes. So cringe. Laughable really .
They said that they send a message "we don't want to be seen here". Well....then don't (go there). Or shut the feck up, take those 15-20 millions which every FA gets and play football. Hypocrites

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
They apparently don't have enough accommodation for all the fans going to the games, so they're setting up cruise ships as makeshift hotels. The father of my boss' g/f is staying on one. Probably one way of getting around the alcohol ban?

NewYorkRed

Nothing short of a boycott is acceptable?

Surely having misgivings but saying nothing is worse?
I mean…I guess? “Hey I hate you for what you did to that guy” “Ok lets breakup” “Can I still come to your birthday party next weekend? Even though I still hate you”

Doesn’t sound to me like it makes an actual difference. Either take a stand, or don’t. This is just social media and political point scoring.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, I don't think it was a good idea to disrupt leagues all over the world, and the human right issue is obviously very disturbing.

On the other hand, the WC puts their human rights abuse under the spotlight. Hadn't Qatar been involved in football, VERY few would care about what's going on there, you'd stll have the same issues with migrant worker or homosexuals but you wouldn't hear such a massive outrage. At least, for now, some people care, some people talk about them. Will it change something in Qatar, I have no idea but they'll be forced to be exposed to different culture and to tolerate, at least for a month+, things they wouldn't (wrongly) usually tolerate.

peridigm

Why didn't all nations boycott from the beginning when it was apparent Qatar bribed FIFA? My guess is money.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I'm not sure if you thought this through so I won't give you a condescending reply. Earth sits on a tilted axis meaning northern hemisphere winters are much harsher than southern hemisphere winters. Look at all the Southern hemisphere countries at the world cup and then look at their weather in June/July, it's basically our summer. To save you time, Ecuador gets the 'coldest' at ~11c and that's skewed by altitude, the rest are in the 20's. In the same vein that's why northern hemisphere summer WC make sense for hosts like South Africa and Brazil because it's much easier for the players in their winters because of how hot/humid it can get in their summers.
Im not sure you thought this through either..... Fans live in those areas where winter is the time of the World Cup and you were referencing peoples apathy and their game watching times. There is apathy all over the world for this world cup, its not just for those of you who like a lager and a pie with your lunchtime game.
BTW you did give a condescending reply

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'll not watch it purely for the reason that international football bores the feck out of me.

tomaldinho1

Im not sure you thought this through either..... Fans live in those areas where winter is the time of the World Cup and you were referencing peoples apathy and their game watching times. There is apathy all over the world for this world cup, its not just for those of you who like a lager and a pie with your lunchtime game.
BTW you did give a condescending reply
I didn't mean to so apologies on that front.

My post talked about the importance of it being held in summer (I didn't specify northern hemisphere summer but given that's when it always is I didn't think I needed to clarify that) because it is a much better experience for fans in those countries and it isn't at the expense of southern hemisphere fans. It's not the same vice versa. I don't get your point re apathy and the lunchtime game, if you can point out to me where I've said anything that would remotely warrant that response, please quote me.