Brandon Williams

Adcuth

Under 23's play Friday, so we'll see if he starts that game. Be good to have him on the bench

Bwuk

I'd put him on the bench for Saturday, as I refuse to believe he's a worse left back than Rojo and Darmian has went awol.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Aye but he can play left just as well really and I'd imagine he'd be in line if he wasn't injured
He's played at LB 9 times since he broke into the U18s over 2 years ago, and he's not played there for more than 1 consecutive game in 2 years. He'd have 0 chance of being in line for a call up to LB especially when Williams who's actually been playing LB is doing so well.

Alemar

What is the problem of playing Williams? Young doesn’t offer anything good at all, so Williams can be either better or the same (at worst)

Mark Pawelek

I'd put him on the bench for Saturday, as I refuse to believe he's a worse left back than Rojo and Darmian has went awol.
Darmian is a safer defender than Williams. But Williams is definitely an attacking threat which Darmian never was. I'd have him ahead of Rojo but behind Darmian. Must keep Rojo in cotton wool ahead of his exit.

Mark Pawelek

What is the problem of playing Williams? Young doesn’t offer anything good at all, so Williams can be either better or the same (at worst)
I'd have him on the bench and give him at least 20 minutes. Pity he didn't play in the summer friendlies. It's really hard to persuade pros to play young talent ahead of experienced players.

Cathy Ferguson

I find that hard to believe. I guess that Young has a fair amount of goals and assists, not least in comparison with Shaw. Young is quite good going forward but weak defensively, but we now have Maguire and AWB to help him out.

captain666

I'd certainly have Williams in the squad for the duration of Shaw's injury and try to give him minutes at opportune moments.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
This café obsession with hyping up some youth teamer who is a million miles off being ready is bizarre and ridiculous.

Maybe throwing them in, and watching them struggle would stop it.
First of all why should he struggle??? WHY??? :houllier:

And most of us would accept if he has a bad game against Southampton.
BUT to see the hundred bad game of Young or Rojo and Darmian would make us sick....all of them had enough chances to impress Solskjaer!!!

Williams has played very well for the U18's and U23's in the last 20 months therefore he deserves a chance at least on the bench.....Young will start okay fine.....but Rojo or Darmian on the bench instead of him then Solskjaer can feck off because then he is a liar.

Mark Pawelek

Don't forget. Demitri Mitchell and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson have not left on loan. Both still here. They're both left-footed left backs. Demitri is a converted winger.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Don't forget. Demitri Mitchell and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson have not left on loan. Both still here. They're both left-footed left backs. Demitri is a converted winger.
Demi is injured and can't defend for shit anyway. CBJ is just average and has no future here. They are both completely irrelevant at this point.

lsd

The Oracle
I think it's too soon for him but I have no doubt he is a huge talent possibly the biggest we have and it is only a matter of time for him

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
There's more chance of someone from the Cafe playing than Demi Mitchell or CBJ.

dabeast

I actually think this will turn out to be the breakout season for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

mav_9me

With Shaw's injury I can see him brought up to the first team but can't see him starting with Young available. That too in an away game. Na that's just gambling. Once he trains with the first team they can see if he is ready to get game time maybe from the bench?

Alemar

I'd have him on the bench and give him at least 20 minutes. Pity he didn't play in the summer friendlies. It's really hard to persuade pros to play young talent ahead of experienced players.
But TAA also was “young talent” not long ago - still he was played, and now he is good. Same with Wan Bissaka.

sajeev

I think he is quite good and can play for the first team soon. However, he will have to iron out the unforced errors, which he makes at least two-three times a game. Otherwise I believe he could have come straight in. String wise he would be the best of our full-backs

Number32

If he had a bad game, the pressure on him would killed his career. Ole doesn't want him to be another Tyler Blackett.

Bestietom

Williams has been consistent with the Academy for some time now. I would not hesitate to at least give him a try now in early season.

Robbie Boy

CBJ :lol:

That’s a blast from the grim LvG past. Remember the Caf trying to hype him when he always looked utter shite.

Mark Pawelek

CBJ :lol:

That’s a blast from the grim LvG past. Remember the Caf trying to hype him when he always looked utter shite.
CBJ is a better left-back than Rojo, and better defender than Mitchell. He always looked excellent to me at ball retention and very good at defending. Very good crossing too, bud didn't get forward enough. I don't know whether that was because LVG gave strict instructions not to get out of position. Overall I thought him safe but not outstanding; he was no Evra. I guess I'm not one of these fans who call 99% of pro footballers shite like some. I'm too honest and nice for that. It's seems he's shite is all the argument most fans ever need.

PS: I'd like to see Williams play ahead of Young. I was trying to explain why managers & coaches might not play Williams because "he's not experienced enough". Even so I don't see why fans must slate 99% of pros "shite" just to get their point across. That lazy foul-mouthed argument makes my skin crawl.

Last edited:

Kostov

If he had a bad game, the pressure on him would killed his career. Ole doesn't want him to be another Tyler Blackett.
Can someone enlighten me, when was the last time “pressure” after a bad game ruined some of our youngster’s careers? I see it regularly spouted when our kids are mentioned, but I fail to remember such cases.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Can someone enlighten me, when was the last time “pressure” after a bad game ruined some of our youngster’s careers? I see it regularly spouted when our kids are mentioned, but I fail to remember such cases.
Wasn't his debut, but John Curtis an outstanding youth product never truly recovered from his performance against Arsenal(Marc Overmars)

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He seems equally adept with both feet. Does he have a strong foot or is he like Greenwood?

Thiagoal

I think this narrative is often stated but in reality I just don’t think they were up to it in the first place! If one performance ruins a career then they clearly don’t have the mental aptitude to reach the top of the game!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Never ever heard of him to be fair. What exactly happened?
He had a good career, United sent him out on loan the season after the Arsenal match to gain experience and he impressed that much that Graeme Souness the Blackburn Rovers Manager offered £1.5m for him(which was a lot at the time for a teenager), United didn't want him to leave(he was a FAYC winner @ 16) but left it up to the player, and he decided to leave.

He played for some decent clubs after leaving Blackburn Rovers(Sheffield United, Leicester City, Portsmouth, Forest and QPR), but he never came close to realising his enormous potential, if he's stayed at United he may have.

Kostov

He had a good career, United sent him out on loan the season after the Arsenal match to gain experience and he impressed that much that Graeme Souness the Blackburn Rovers Manager offered £1.5m for him(which was a lot at the time for a teenager), United didn't want him to leave(he was a FAYC winner @ 16) but left it up to the player, and he decided to leave.

He played for some decent clubs after leaving Blackburn Rovers(Sheffield United, Leicester City, Portsmouth, Forest and QPR), but he never came close to realising his enormous potential, if he's stayed at United he may have.
If I understood you right than it was nothing to do with him being bad and the pressure got to him kind of situation then? Maybe I am missing something. With todays young players breaking through the main problem seems to be that they get caught into the fame and thinking they made it sooner than they really do, not pressure nor enormous and unfair expectations from us fans. If anything I think we as fans are much more understanding with our own kids than with big money signing.