Brendan Rodgers - a re-evaluation?

Peanut Butter

Bloody hell. I could manage Celtic ffs.

Brent is an average manager, no more. Flying in the tumescent SPL doesn't make him Sir Matt Busby all of a sudden.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City

Brent is an average manager, no more. Flying in the tumescent SPL doesn't make him Sir Matt Busby all of a sudden.
I'm not too sure whether you could set their unbeaton record though, and it's not like there is nothing in between and he's either Busby or a complete failure.

Reactions: Cheesy

Scarlet Spider

I would say coming within one game of winning the league with Liverpool is an astonishing achievement given their resources compared to everyone else. Klopp is heralded as a genius but hasn't come anywhere near matching Rodgers' side. Clubs like Everton or West Ham could do a lot worse and it appears like they are about to if they appoint Sam Allardyce and David Moyes.

Reactions: Theonas

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

I don't Rogers and that but you should give credit where it due. Celtic's presence in CL is a better yardstick. Even though they don't get results they play decent football and don't look out of place (that much).

Rednotdead

I'm afraid winning a one-team league isn't any recommendation. The only relevant yardstick is his Liverpool tenure.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
His Brentishness and being the manager of Liverpool was far too toxic a combination for us here. His stints at Swansea and Liverpool show he can get teams playing good stuff, but obviously his defensive record is a concern and managing Celtic is little more than an ego boost as you're guaranteed trophies every year.

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
Neil Lennon did a much under rated job at Celtic and proved to be quite astute in the transfer market. He is doing a decent job at Hibs with a limited budget. Brendan Rodgers is a hard one to assess. Certainly being undefeated in 16 months of management in a domestic context is remarkable and he has made his name now in Celtic history no matter what transpires going forward. He is adored by Celtic fans judging by the Kerrydale Forum. The only caveat to his achievements are that both Wim Jansen and Martin O'Neill faced a much stronger Rangers side in their time. Rangers are shambolic at the moment so that for me at least casts a shadow over the greatness of what Brendan has done up in Scotland. To his credit Dembele and Sinclair were inspired signings.

redshaw

Wonder if someone like Rodgers would want to give up a job at Celtic and having a crack in the CL to manage a team in the Premier League with the goal staying out the bottom four.

Probably if he did relatively well in the PL he could land a top 6 side job.

Brenden could be the last British manager of a top four/six side for a long time.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

At least we know where to look when he leaves then.

I bet your nan would score for fun up here too?

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he come closer to winning the PL than United have since Ferguson retired? But he's the failure and the bum, yeah? Cool.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Neil Lennon did a much under rated job at Celtic and proved to be quite astute in the transfer market. He is doing a decent job at Hibs with a limited budget. Brendan Rodgers is a hard one to assess. Certainly being undefeated in 16 months of management in a domestic context is remarkable and he has made his name now in Celtic history no matter what transpires going forward. He is adored by Celtic fans judging by the Kerrydale Forum. The only caveat to his achievements are that both Wim Jansen and Martin O'Neill faced a much stronger Rangers side in their time. Rangers are shambolic at the moment so that for me at least casts a shadow over the greatness of what Brendan has done up in Scotland. To his credit Dembele and Sinclair were inspired signings.
I never rated Lennon much as a tactical manager during his stint with Celtic but they made a lot of clever acquisitions during that period. I'm pretty sure Wanyama, Van Dijk and Forster all came in while he was in charge, which is very impressive considering they've all done well since.

Getting Hibs up was the bare minimum last season and in spite of the fact they managed to win the league in the end they still made a bit of a meal of it, but he's doing well this season and is firmly reestablishing them as an SPL side again.

O'Neill faced a much stronger Rangers side but it's worth noting the years he did win the league was when they tended to be a lot weaker. When he won the treble they were probably about as poor as they'd been in a decade or so. The following year that trend continue until McLeish took the helm and managed to get them in contention again. Granted, the reason Rangers weren't in contention in those season was because O'Neill was regularly racking up 90+ points total, but it's still interesting in that in the two seasons when O'Neill faced a title challenge he ended up losing out. One of them being behind on goal difference by one in 02-03 (albeit they'd have needed to have finished ahead of Rangers on GD to win the title) and the other being in 04-05 when a last minute goal cost them it.

Scarlet Spider

It's a hard one to judge in terms of the lack of credible opposition in Scotland. You have to wonder what size of a club Celtic would be now in terms of attracting players if Rangers hadn't been cheating with financial doping for so long. If the only yardstick we can judge Celtic on is in Europe they are on course to finish third in a group with PSG and Bayern. Let's face it we would likely be finishing in that position if we were in with those teams too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'm not sure. It's hard to assess the ability of a someone who manages the best team in a one-team league. Pep was in the same boat for many years, at Bayern especially.

I tend to agree with those who say until he does something in Europe we'll never really know, but Martin O'Neill got Celtic to a European final, and he turned out to be a decent manager at best.

Peanut Butter

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't he come closer to winning the PL than United have since Ferguson retired? But he's the failure and the bum, yeah? Cool.
He couldn't even win the PL with one of the best players in the world scoring goals for fun whilst United had David Moyes as manager!

And who said he's a failure and a bum?

Neil Lennon won the league as Celtic manager. Shall we line him up with all the top PL jobs as well then?

The Bloody-Nine

Do you think he keeps his 'came closer to winning the PL than United have since Ferguson retired' trophy on his mantle?

Liverpool should have won the league. Top with three games to go and he ballsed it up.

Scarlet Spider

I wouldn't say he ballsed it up - that's spectacularly harsh as there's a saying ' you've got to lose one to win one'. When United lost the league in 91-92 Fergie reinvested by bringing in Cantona and voila we won the league. When Liverpool lost the league in 13-14 they sold Suarez - by far their best player - and replaced him with Ballotelli because nobody else would go there. It was the following season from 13-14 without Suarez that Rodgers came unstuck but at the same time he absolutely defied expectations by even challenging for the title - never mind being a hair's breadth away from winning it.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
I think he's a decent manager, certainly better than most in the bottom half of the prem. Was unlucky when they lost the league but the run they went on to get into pole position was brilliant. Don't think he wanted Ballotelli did he? wasn't he signed by the DoF as a bit of a panic buy at the end of the window?

Kostur

海尔的老板
I think he's a decent manager, certainly better than most in the bottom half of the prem. Was unlucky when they lost the league but the run they went on to get into pole position was brilliant. Don't think he wanted Ballotelli did he? wasn't he signed by the DoF as a bit of a panic buy at the end of the window?
No, he was actually lucky to be their manager when Suarez, Gerrard (bar the lovely slip) and Sterling had one of the best seasons in their lives. It would've been a travesty had this clown won the league.

Last edited:

The Bloody-Nine

I wouldn't say he ballsed it up - that's spectacularly harsh as there's a saying ' you've got to lose one to win one'. When United lost the league in 91-92 Fergie reinvested by bringing in Cantona and voila we won the league. When Liverpool lost the league in 13-14 they sold Suarez - by far their best player - and replaced him with Ballotelli because nobody else would go there. It was the following season from 13-14 without Suarez that Rodgers came unstuck but at the same time he absolutely defied expectations by even challenging for the title - never mind being a hair's breadth away from winning it.
What would you call being top of the league with three games to go, on an eleven game winning streak.....and finishing second? Looks like a balls up to me.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's a silly point to make. He got 84 points and they almost won the league. Isolating the evaluation of his achievements purely down to the last couple of a 38-game season is nonsense. It's that what makes him a contender for a top 6 job in England, not what he does in Scotland, nor what he could do in a relegation battle for the rest of this season.

I'm not sure. It's hard to assess the ability of a someone who manages the best team in a one-team league. Pep was in the same boat for many years, at Bayern especially.

I tend to agree with those who say until he does something in Europe we'll never really know, but Martin O'Neill got Celtic to a European final, and he turned out to be a decent manager at best.
O'Neill hit his peak in the late 1990s and early 2000s. As impressive as he was at that time, it fizzled out for him at Celtic, partly no doubt due to personal reasons. By the time he went back to England he wasn't quite the same force of personality, although he still took Villa to 6th in the Premier League. And now he's a good 15 years away from his prime and the game has moved on from his hey-day. Still getting Ireland to punch above their weight in fairness though.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
No, he was actually lucky to be their manager when Suarez, Gerrard (bar the lovely slip) and Sterling had one of the best seasons in their lives. It would've been a travesty had this clown won the league.

Actually I think Suarez scored close to 70% of their goals that season so you can also reduce the three mentioned above to just Suarez.
he didn't even score 30% of their goals that season never mind 70%

The Bloody-Nine

It's a silly point to make. He got 84 points and they almost won the league. Isolating the evaluation of his achievements purely down to the last couple of a 38-game season is nonsense. It's that what makes him a contender for a top 6 job in England, not what he does in Scotland, nor what he could do in a relegation battle for the rest of this season.
Just a reminder, he was sacked by Liverpool. Not sure how that makes him a contender for a top 6 job in the PL. *Almost* winning something isn't much of an achievement.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You could pit someone who had never even seen a game of football in charge of Celtic and they would still win the league.

Its no measure of anybodies ability as a manger.

Brendan is a bang average manager, hes not terrible, but he isnt all that great either.

Its a fairly terrible indictment on scottish football that he is being touted as some kind of genius when he is managing the only competative team in the league.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What would you call being top of the league with three games to go, on an eleven game winning streak.....and finishing second? Looks like a balls up to me.
They lost one game in the whole second half of the season. The won 12 of their last 14 games and the only way they could have won the title was to have won 13 and drawn 1 of those final 14 games.

The Bloody-Nine

They lost one game in the whole second half of the season. The won 12 of their last 14 games and the only way they could have won the title was to have won 13 and drawn 1 of those final 14 games.
I'm not sure how this changes what I said. With 3 games to go they were favourites to win the league. They failed. Hence 'balls up'.

I mean, they were 3 nil up with 11 minutes to go vs Palace and STILL managed to draw. :lol:

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm not sure how this changes what I said. With 3 games to go they were favourites to win the league. They failed. Hence 'balls up'.

I mean, they were 3 nil up with 11 minutes to go vs Palace and STILL managed to draw. :lol:
It's isolating the league down to a couple of games when it's a 38-game season. They had already put an incredible run simply to get into that position and he came a lot closer than Pocchettino, Klopp and Wenger (in years) have done to challenging for the title.

Not that I really give a feck about the smug cnut with his made-up stories pandered to by the media up here sucking him off 24/7.

GazTheLegend

Great manager and somewhat underrated on here for the crime of managing Liverpool.

What he’s done at Celtic isn’t as easy as everyone seems to think. He really genuinely was unlucky to not win the league that season - if it wasn’t for that slip Liverpool really would have been champions and nobody could have seen that coming.

Let’s be honest - Suarez forced that exit in the same manner that Ronaldo forced his. He made mistakes in the transfer market that summer - big ones - but so have many other managers, and the wage limitations at his club were always going to prevent any truly big names going there.

Erentz

Knows everything! 5 years later.
His all round gobshitedness, and Liverpool connection cloud people's opinions. He's a very good manager, the one manager from the British Isles who deserves to be managing a top team, imo. I'd rather see United play his football rather than Mourinho's, that's for sure.

Scarlet Spider

Yes I think he's proven that he's a notch above the likes of Sean Dyche, Mark Hughes and David Moyes.
Would probably say he would have been a good fit for Spurs if Potch hadn't have raised standards there in the next few years.
Not a top tier manager but he's improved most clubs where he has went and you can't deny that is impressive.

Scarlet Spider

His all round gobshitedness, and Liverpool connection cloud people's opinions. He's a very good manager, the one manager from the British Isles who deserves to be managing a top team imo, I'd rather see United play his football rather than Mourinho's, that's for sure.
I don't think you are alone there. Mourinho's dour style only works when you are breaking the opposition and instead we are eight points behind already.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes and so many of their players having brilliant seasons had nothing to do with him.

In fact if Pep wins the league this season and Jose the season after that I'm crediting Aguero, Martial and co and giving no credit to the two blokes posing as their managers.

amolbhatia50k

Just a reminder, he was sacked by Liverpool. Not sure how that makes him a contender for a top 6 job in the PL. *Almost* winning something isn't much of an achievement.
It clearly is. Eddie Howe has achieved a lot at Bournemouth. Pochettino has achieved a lot at Spurs.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yes and so many of their players having brilliant seasons had nothing to do with him.

In fact if Pep wins the league this season and Jose the season after that I'm crediting Aguero, Martial and co and giving no credit to the two blokes posing as their managers.
They didn't have such brilliant seasons under him prior to the 13/14 season or the subsequent season, I'd go as far as to claim that if he knew how to sort their defence they wouldn't have lost the title. What now?

amolbhatia50k

They didn't have such brilliant seasons under him prior to the 13/14 season or the subsequent season, I'd go as far as to claim that if he knew how to sort their defence they wouldn't have lost the title. What now?
Yes because Liverpool wasn't such a brilliant team and he got them playing above their usual level. That's what, you know, happens at a club which, like, never challenges for the title.

What now? Are you confused going about your day or something?

The Bloody-Nine

It clearly is. Eddie Howe has achieved a lot at Bournemouth. Pochettino has achieved a lot at Spurs.
It clearly isn't. The only reason people remember that he finished second is because of the spectacular manner in which he blew it. People don't tend to remember the runner up.

Howe has what, three promotions to his credit? Something tangible. So yes, he has achieved rather a lot.

Poch hasn't won anything.