Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Pagh Wraith

It is a bit classless to be fair. Leicester have nothing left to play for this season and could easily use an interim manager till Rodgers takes over in the summer. He should stay at Celtic, win the domestic trophies and arrive with a very good reputation. This made me think that a transfer window for managers might not be a bad thing.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A little surprised he's walked out mid-season, but he has been waiting for the right opportunity to come back to England. Over the last couple of years though, the biggest clubs in the league are shopping for managers from the upper echelon of the European market. Which means that the upper-mid-table teams have become more attractive for Rodgers.

@Bwuk I'm not condoning the chants, but the Clarke situation is a bit more nuanced than that though isn't it? As in he bodyswerved the opportunity to highlight the sectarian chants aimed at Kris Boyd who was also hit by a coin by the Celtic fans only a couple of days before, because he didn't want to offend his potential future fanbase. Then when his team gets pumped by Rangers, it instantly becomes an issue.

He's right to raise the issue, belatedly, but his motives are so obviously hypocritical, and consistency is key to it ever getting addressed up here.

Bwuk

Well I suppose there is no difference in United and Leicester then by both of your rationale. I don't like Celtic but they are a bigger club than Leicester, it's based on history and size of there fanbase.
Err.. of course there is? Anyway you want to measure United and Leicester, Leicester aren't coming out on top. No Leicester fan would even dream it.

History? So what? Celtic haven't been relevant in years in Europe, and dominate a league which pretty much every Championship team would win at a canter. If we want to go off hisotyr then Aston Villa are a massive club, despite being a mid table Championship side.

In terms of fanbase, clubs measure these using Social Media metrics these days. Leicester have about twice as many twitter followers, and about three times as many facebook followers.

Bwuk

A little surprised he's walked out mid-season, but he has been waiting for the right opportunity to come back to England. Over the last couple of years though, the biggest clubs in the league are shopping for managers from the upper echelon of the European market. Which means that the upper-mid-table teams have become more attractive for Rodgers.

@Bwuk I'm not condoning the chants, but the Clarke situation is a bit more nuanced than that though isn't it? As in he bodyswerved the opportunity to highlight the sectarian chants aimed at Kris Boyd who was also hit by a coin by the Celtic fans only a couple of days before, because he didn't want to offend his potential future fanbase. Then when his team gets pumped by Rangers, it instantly becomes an issue.

He's right to raise the issue, belatedly, but his motives are so obviously hypocritical, and consistency is key to it ever getting addressed up here.
That's the issue though. Every time one of the fanbases do something wrong, they try to bring up points the other has done wrong.

Neither the abuse Clarke recieved, not Boyd being hit by a coin should be happening.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Seems a bit stupid to give up on an almost guaranteed league title. Should wait till the summer
Winning the SPL with Celtic is the equivalent of asking a 3 year old to congratulate you for tieing your shoelaces as an adult.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Isn’t David Moyes available for the Celtic job?
Took a sneak peak at their forum? my god the delusion is strong with them.
Any PL club aside from the bottom 2 is a bigger and far better prospect for any manager than Celtic.

CM

Seems daft to sacrifice the chance of a couple of trophies to join Leicester now. Surely it would make more sense to take the job in the summer.

Morpheus 7

Err.. of course there is? Anyway you want to measure United and Leicester, Leicester aren't coming out on top. No Leicester fan would even dream it.

History? So what? Celtic haven't been relevant in years in Europe, and dominate a league which pretty much every Championship team would win at a canter. If we want to go off hisotyr then Aston Villa are a massive club, despite being a mid table Championship side.

In terms of fanbase, clubs measure these using Social Media metrics these days. Leicester have about twice as many twitter followers, and about three times as many facebook followers.
You clearly have an issue with Celtic, no point discussing it further. Fecking facebook followers ha..

Revan

Assumptionman
There not a bigger club, don't be ridiculous.
Historically no, currently, without a shadow of a doubt they are. No one outside of Scotland gives a shit about Celtic. The fact that their manager leaves an almost won league in the table at the chance of joining Leicester shows it for itself. People need to get a reality check and stop living in the past.

Ban

Rangers fans were chanting at Clarke (Kilmarnock manager) calling him a "sad fenian b*astard" (sorry if that offends anyone).

Clarke got emotional in his post match interview and broke down in his interview.

“When I was approached by Rangers about taking over the job here I was assured, nah, we didn’t have that in the west of Scotland anymore and it had gone. Hahaha.

“They can call me a b*****d or w****r but to call me a Fenian b*****d? Come on.

“We’re living in the dark ages. They’re not allowed to call my assistant a black B but they can call me a Fenian b*****d. Is that correct?

“What are we doing in Scotland?

“I wake up every morning and I thank Chelsea for taking me away from the West.

“My children have had nothing to do with this thankfully. My children and grandchildren.

“It’s fantastic to be back in Scotland.”

In response the Rangers fanbase blasted him and mocked him for getting emotional over social media and had a banner at their game vs Hamilton saying "Get well soon Steve Clarke".

Scum fanbase.
Indeed, what a scum. Bunch of Neanderthals who are even proud of their biggoted actions...

Bwuk

You clearly have an issue with Celtic, no point discussing it further. Fecking facebook followers ha..
Fecking facebook followers... Social Media reach is what all the top club sides in world football use.

Delusional. No issue with Celtic, would rather they won the league than Rangers.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
That's the issue though. Every time one of the fanbases do something wrong, they try to bring up points the other has done wrong.

Neither the abuse Clarke recieved, not Boyd being hit by a coin should be happening.
Indeed. In the whataboutery scale though, it's pretty much at the very bottom given the incidents happened within a couple of days of each other and involved the same club.

Djemba-Djemba

Rangers fans were chanting at Clarke (Kilmarnock manager) calling him a "sad fenian b*astard" (sorry if that offends anyone).

Clarke got emotional in his post match interview and broke down in his interview.

“When I was approached by Rangers about taking over the job here I was assured, nah, we didn’t have that in the west of Scotland anymore and it had gone. Hahaha.

“They can call me a b*****d or w****r but to call me a Fenian b*****d? Come on.

“We’re living in the dark ages. They’re not allowed to call my assistant a black B but they can call me a Fenian b*****d. Is that correct?

“What are we doing in Scotland?

“I wake up every morning and I thank Chelsea for taking me away from the West.

“My children have had nothing to do with this thankfully. My children and grandchildren.

“It’s fantastic to be back in Scotland.”

In response the Rangers fanbase blasted him and mocked him for getting emotional over social media and had a banner at their game vs Hamilton saying "Get well soon Steve Clarke".

Scum fanbase.
Rest of Scotland seem to fecking loathe Rangers.

I've been to a Hibs game and the biggest cheer of the day was when they were going through the other results on the tannoy after the game and announced Rangers had lost.

dove

Leicester is probably the best job in PL apart from big 6. Decent team, generally liked club and have money to spend. He probably feels insecure that if he says no to Leicester now and tells them to wait until the end of the season, they will get someone else so you can understand why he would jump right into it. Having said that, it's a lack of respect for Celtic and I don't understand why can't he sign pre-contract or something starting from the summer. Leicester are safe at midtable, Rodgers has all the trophies to play for, I don't understand the rush.

Morpheus 7

Historically no, currently, without a shadow of a doubt they are. No one outside of Scotland gives a shit about Celtic. The fact that their manager leaves an almost won league in the table at the chance of joining Leicester shows it for itself. People need to get a reality check and stop living in the past.
I never said Leicester aren't a better side, they clearly are. Just find it baffling people saying they are a bigger club.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Good appointment for Leicester. Rodgers is a decent manager.

Siorac

To be fair if someone is able to win 100 Scottish league titles, that would make him quite a football legend, regardless of the stage. An immortal even.
Well, the undisputed oldest ever person lived to be a 119 years and 97 days old. So if she took over Celtic at 19 and won every single league title until her death...

What I'm saying is that it's theoretically achievable for a mere mortal!

Classical Mechanic

A garden gnome could lead Celtic to the Scottish title. Said gnome could hold the post for 100 years if they were stored sympathetically and given a new coat of paint every couple decades.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I never said Leicester aren't a better side, they clearly are. Just find it baffling people saying they are a bigger club.
They aren't a bigger club in a traditional sense, but it's a bigger job for Brendan, hence why he wants to jump ship. Celtic might be a big club who fill their stadium and have lots of fans, but they're no match for the appeal of a decent club in the premier league.

Leciester have better players, far more financial muscle, you'll get far more media attention/credit if you succeed at Leicester than at Celtic, and the likelihood is he'll be paid more for managing Leicester too. It's a bigger job for him than it would be at Celtic, 100%.

Revan

Assumptionman
A very sad comment on the state of the Scottish game. I really miss the days when the Scots were a real force in football.
Sad but true. Celtic nowadays are as important as Steaua Bucuresti or Red Star Belgrade, clubs with a lot of history and who have won a European Cup too, but clubs that no one cares outside of their country. Dynamics change with time, nothing new there. Celtic is a bigger club than Leicester same way as Yahoo is a bigger company than Facebook. In other words, you need to go back in time for that to hold.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Fan size, revenue, championships won, European championships won, history, stadium capacity...

Basically every single metric, actually.
Leicester are the wealthier club, the club with more media exposure, the club which spends more on both wages and transfers, and the club with significantly better footballers. They're also the club who have made more of an impact on Europe recently, having gone to a quarter final not so long ago. Celtic have an incredible, rich history and a fantastic fanbase, but in modern football this counts for very little.

The fact Rodgers is desperate to jump ship mid season should make it very clear to people which is the bigger job. A decent club in the Premier League is miles more attractive and far more of a potential stepping stone than a job in a league which is inferior to the championship.

Zoo

It’s not a surprise, he has always come across as a bit of a snake.

The Purley King

Fan size, revenue, championships won, European championships won, history, stadium capacity...

Leicester is currently a far bigger club than Celtic and its not even close.
According to Deloitte, in 2017/2018 Leicester were the 22nd biggest club in the world (based on revenue) €179.4m, Celtic were not in the top 30 and google shows them with £101.6m revenue. Big difference.
Someone else already mentioned the global reach that Leicester have that Celtic don't.
Championships won in a league where only 2 clubs have won it for the last 35 years don't count for that much.
History and stadium, yes agree Celtic are bigger, but the reality is by the metrics that most people would currently use, Celtic is not a bigger club than more than half of current premiership teams and some championship teams too.
Also, the proof is in the pudding. If Celtic was such a big draw then no way would Rodgers jump ship mid-season for a mid-table English team and yet........

Revan

Assumptionman

Leicester's revenue is around double of that of Celtic. Celtic just reached 100m barrier, while Leicester has 170m+ revenue (and had more the season before that cause of UCL). Leicester has the 22nd highest revenue in football, despite dropping 8 positions last year. Celtic are not even in top 30.

Fan size: Leicester has 3 times as big a following in social media, so I think it is pretty safe to assume that they have a significantly bigger fan size.

The other clubs stand, though I don't understand the stadium capacity, what is supposed to show. And European championship (without s) is under the history category.

Bwuk

Leicester's revenue is around double of that of Celtic. Celtic just reached 100m barrier, while Leicester has 170m+ revenue (and had more the season before that cause of UCL). Leicester has the 22nd highest revenue in football, despite dropping 8 positions last year. Celtic are not even in top 30.

Fan size: Leicester has 3 times as big a following in social media, so I think it is pretty safe to assume that they have a significantly bigger fan size.

The other clubs stand, though I don't understand the stadium capacity, what is supposed to show. And European championship (without s) is under the history category.
It's typical here in Scotland that they seem to think they are a lot bigger on the global scale than they are. Used to being the big boys against other dross Scottish sides.

NYAS

What’s all this nonsense about Leicester being the best job outside the top 6 a manager can get? What, apart from being a mini-Chelsea, a club ran by the dressing room with most of the senior players having a direct line to the owner and undermining the manager? They play the manager out whenever they want. Particularly Kasper and Vardy. People would do well to remember that. Bunch of snakes in that dressing room.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Fan size, revenue.
Leicester's social media reach dwarfs Celtic's by 2 or 3 times across all platforms, which even I was surprised to learn. Leicester's following in the far east is huge right now.

Leicester have been in the top 20 most valuable clubs for the last 3 years, whereas Celtic have not been near it.

They've also been in the Top 30 of the Deloitte Football 'Money League' for the last 4 years, which is based entirely on revenue. Celtic are not. Even Brighton had greater revenue than Celtic last year. You have to go back to 2008 for the last time Celtic were even on the list.

Premier League is ranked 2nd in the UEFA coefficient. It's a massively attractive prospect to play in it. SPL is 20th (where you don't even go straight into the Champions League by being champions) behind Cyprus and ahead of Belarus. I can't even name a Cypriot or Belarusian(?) club.

Celtic have a richer history of success of course, but that doesn't really weigh on a manager's or a player's mind. Right here and now, Leicester are a much better prospect for a manager or a player to join. If Leicester and Celtic were in for the same highly rated young player, he's going to Leicester every time.

Guy Incognito

A garden gnome could lead Celtic to the Scottish title. Said gnome could hold the post for 100 years if they were stored sympathetically and given a new coat of paint every couple decades.
:lol:

I think Celtic are a far worse proposition for managers than when O'Neill left Leicester to join them. Sure they are winning trophies but there is no real competition.

Last edited:

Grande

Well I suppose there is no difference in United and Leicester then by both of your rationale. I don't like Celtic but they are a bigger club than Leicester, it's based on history and size of there fanbase.
Well, if I’m picky, a question isn’t a rationale. But if I’m not, I get what you are saying, and history means a lot to me. I also think if you count fanbase based on how many grandmothers who would gladly kill a mailman yo defend the honour of the club (as good a measure as anything), Celtic has more than most. It’s just very hard to know what people mean by ‘bigness’ of a club.

I for instance imagine Brendan Rogers would see Leicester as a bigger opportunity on a bigger stage than he will either Celtic or Villa. Heck, even Villa couldn’t even prize that Noggie manager from Molde FK a few years ago.

Robbie Boy

They have a good core of young players there. I think ouel Brent will do well and have they playing some nice stuff. Was inevitable he would back to PL sooner rather than later.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why not just ban the farmer's leagues? Do you want Liverpool to win countless Champions League titles by playing Norwegian fishermen again?
Sure, whatever. Better than this carwreck of a thread, the result of almost ran PL teams thinking football begins and ends in 4 countries across Europe.

poleglass red

Surprised he'd leave now when he's so close to another league title, but I guess Leicester want him in asap. I like Rodgers as a manager. He tries to play the game the right way. It was inevitable he'd come back to the PL as some point, this just seems like crazy bad timing